Help---Goulds Water pump prob (vid)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

G-DUB
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Help---Goulds Water pump prob (vid)

Postby G-DUB » January 31st, 2019, 5:37 pm

carluva wrote:Goulds pump. Period.

I've seen goulds manufactured in USA and some made in Mexico selling in the same hardware. The USA one is more expensive. Not sure on the differences.

A properly connected goulds, with pressure tank (well X trol, nothing else), gauge and correctly set pressure switches will outlast any other pump out there especially those smart heads...

The USA made pump is much heavier than the Mexican made, main difference would be the cast iron used to manufacture the pump.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 31st, 2019, 5:42 pm

The USA model is usually a j5s model and the Mexican jrs or something like that,
It is just a little smaller design than the j5s, don't think the quality is any different.

Both of them have motor windings which are much beefier than the competition.

G-DUB wrote:
carluva wrote:Goulds pump. Period.

I've seen goulds manufactured in USA and some made in Mexico selling in the same hardware. The USA one is more expensive. Not sure on the differences.

A properly connected goulds, with pressure tank (well X trol, nothing else), gauge and correctly set pressure switches will outlast any other pump out there especially those smart heads...

The USA made pump is much heavier than the Mexican made, main difference would be the cast iron used to manufacture the pump.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 31st, 2019, 7:05 pm

Pugboy...hear this nah...u does fix/service pumps or wah???

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 1st, 2019, 6:11 am

Not professionally, only the ones I happen to had to in my possession, which are like 3 of both brands.

TBH it's not hard if you are a little handy.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Pugboy...hear this nah...u does fix/service pumps or wah???

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 1st, 2019, 6:31 am

pugboy wrote:Not professionally, only the ones I happen to had to in my possession, which are like 3 of both brands.

TBH it's not hard if you are a little handy.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Pugboy...hear this nah...u does fix/service pumps or wah???

arite brother 8-)

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 2nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Hey guys jus need a lil advice. So my goulds pump works fine however i wanted the additional protection of a tank float switch. Now my pump is wired for 230v and the float switch will only interrupt one line. I thinkin i would need the float to control a contactor which would break/make both lines for motor. Can it be done without a contactor besides rewiring d motor for 120v?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

eitech wrote:Hey guys jus need a lil advice. So my goulds pump works fine however i wanted the additional protection of a tank float switch. Now my pump is wired for 230v and the float switch will only interrupt one line. I thinkin i would need the float to control a contactor which would break/make both lines for motor. Can it be done without a contactor besides rewiring d motor for 120v?
Assuming that you are using a 115v 1ph float switch; use the switch to energize a 2 pole relay.

You will spec the relay based on whether the float switch closes at up or down position.

There are better solutions that rely on a photo-sensor watching an external column of water that send an on/off trigger signal to a separate latching relay to control the motor. These are commonly used in water lifting systems that have a reserve tank.

An in-tank float switch introduces electrical current to every water fixture in the building through the water column and creates a new failure mode for the pump circuit.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 2nd, 2019, 6:06 pm

Those float switches don’t touch the water when they are floating on the water surface.
How do they introduce current into the water ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

pugboy wrote:Those float switches don’t touch the water when they are floating on the water surface.
How do they introduce current into the water ?
Only if there is an insulation failure. You will probably experience a shock similar to when a shower heater's insulation fails.

The float typically has a microswitch inside that is at 115/230 VAC. Micro controller systems use sensors in the tank or outside on a column of water that are typically 12/24 VDC. Of course they are more expensive, too.

Float switches shine for use with sump pumps because of how the system is isolated and how it functions. It's common to see float switches used in some countries for potable water supplies but in the US I doubt that you could pass a building inspection using one the way that we are discussing using it here.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 2nd, 2019, 6:49 pm

That is one advantage of a smarthead
They can sense if water not passing and trigger a fault.
I want to try and see if s smarthead could be used inline as a fault sensor only.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 3rd, 2019, 11:24 am

pugboy wrote:That is one advantage of a smarthead
I want to try and see if s smarthead could be used inline as a fault sensor only.

So the float switch is not a good option?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2019, 1:20 pm

I have two with no problems, the egg shaped one which floats on the water surface inside the tank,
make sure to put a knot so the cable does fall back into the tank and secure the wire connections cleanly and waterproof with electrical tape and plastic bag.

One of them a guy installed it for me, the idiot used a big hole saw to cut a 3" hole in the top of the tank for the device to fit through.

eitech wrote:

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

pugboy wrote:I have two with no problems, the egg shaped one which floats on the water surface inside the tank,
make sure to put a knot so the cable does fall back into the tank and secure the wire connections cleanly and waterproof with electrical tape and plastic bag.

One of them a guy installed it for me, the idiot used a big hole saw to cut a 3" hole in the top of the tank for the device to fit through.

eitech wrote:

Aight but back to my initial question: a float switch will only interrupt one line of a 230v motor. Unlike a 115v motor the float switch will open d circuit completely. There is no other way around this unless i use a control relay?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2019, 6:25 pm

Yeah as mentioned in an earlier post about using a double contactor.

I guess you could use two float switches
One for each leg.
But don’t quote me on that

eitech wrote:
pugboy wrote:I have two with no problems, the egg shaped one which floats on the water surface inside the tank,

eitech wrote:

Aight but back to my initial question: a float switch will only interrupt one line of a 230v motor. Unlike a 115v motor the float switch will open d circuit completely. There is no other way around this unless i use a control relay?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 3rd, 2019, 7:57 pm

pugboy wrote:Yeah as mentioned in an earlier post about using a double contactor.

I guess you could use two float switches
One for each leg.
But don’t quote me on that

eitech wrote:

eitech wrote:

If i must i will jus use the float switch to energise a relay and pass the motor supply through the contacts. Tnx

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 4th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Back at it again...facepalm

Pump comes on and its only humming...blown capacitor??

superstainless1250
3NE 2NR for life

Postby superstainless1250 » March 4th, 2019, 3:55 pm

With that symptoms most likely is the capacitor I changed my cap Christmas eve last year with similar issues like you

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » March 4th, 2019, 4:01 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Back at it again...facepalm

Pump comes on and its only humming...blown capacitor??

Which model pump is this?
If it's one where you can see the fan at the back, see if you can spin the fan while it's humming. If the pump comes on, it's the capacitor.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Even i could even troubleshoot the cap, the red wire was busted....notice in the pic...also if you can zoom in to the yellow wire with the black tape...im seeing strands detached from where it supposed to be connected...can the entire wire be changed??
Attachments
IMG-20190304-WA0083.jpg

superstainless1250
3NE 2NR for life

Postby superstainless1250 » March 4th, 2019, 7:03 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Even i could even troubleshoot the cap, the red wire was busted....notice in the pic...also if you can zoom in to the yellow wire with the black tape...im seeing strands detached from where it supposed to be connected...can the entire wire be changed??
Yes the entire wire can be changed ur will need some regulator clips to crimp the wire the red wire broken off is the problem The pump humming

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 14th, 2019, 7:01 am

Ah come back again....sigh...tank has water in it again? Thing didnt even last a good 6 months....could anything be wrong with the pump itself or I got a bad tank when purchased??

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 14th, 2019, 7:20 am

what is prob agaib ?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 14th, 2019, 7:22 am

pugboy wrote:what is prob agaib ?

Same as first time around...water in tank...so pump clicking on and off faster than usual...thing is, I only changed that tank a few months ago

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 14th, 2019, 7:23 am

tank as in pressure tank ?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 14th, 2019, 7:31 am

pugboy wrote:tank as in pressure tank ?

Yup, checked the schrader valve and got some water coming out

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » June 14th, 2019, 7:33 am

What brand you bought?
You have warranty?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 14th, 2019, 7:34 am

well that means the pressure tank diaphragm is busted, have to get a new one and we need to figure out why it not lasting.

Before this was it functioning normally ?
what was/is the cutoff pressure switch psi which your pump would stop at ?
assuming you have a pressure gauge on the pump.

If the cutoff pressure is too high it will over fill the pressure tank and bust the rubber in it.

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » June 14th, 2019, 7:38 am

pugboy wrote:well that means the pressure tank diaphragm is busted, have to get a new one and we need to figure out why it not lasting.

If the cutoff pressure is too high it will over fill the pressure tank and bust the rubber in it.

Also check the discharge check valve, if this is leaking it could be that high WASA pressure can be coming back into the pressure tank.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 14th, 2019, 7:39 am

pugboy wrote:well that means the pressure tank diaphragm is busted, have to get a new one and we need to figure out why it not lasting.

It was functioning normally, one time, the pump refused to come on one night and start back the next morning as normal :|

It would stop at 50 psi..

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 14th, 2019, 7:43 am

Yes, if pressure tank is close to pump, put a check valve between the pressure tank/pump and the the house

You obviously need a new pressure tank and better change the pressure switch to be safe.

wheelbarrow wrote:

Also check the discharge check valve, if this is leaking it could be that high WASA pressure can be coming back into the pressure tank.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”