Forums

Chinese Lanterns

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

triniboy
18 pounds of Boost

Chinese Lanterns

Postby triniboy » March 16th, 2014, 1:15 pm

does anyone know where sells Chinese lanterns? i am helping out a family member with a wedding and we would like to release a couple of these in the sky in the night after the reception.

your help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
chinese lantern.JPG
pics so u will not have to visualize
chinese lantern.JPG (45.22 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Chinese Lanterns

Postby Chimera » March 16th, 2014, 1:20 pm

fireone fireworks should still have

mamoo_pagal
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mamoo_pagal » March 16th, 2014, 1:43 pm

hope u not doing it in a residential area, don't burn down nobody house

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » March 16th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Having used these more than once . I am unsure where the hazard is. Both times the lantern went up guided by the winds , very high more than a 30 story building and when it burned itself out it returned to the ground. With strong winds in residential areas would not be smart to let them off as in the ascendance of the lantern it can come into contact with a tree or ... However in calm conditions it seems quite safe.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm

are these legal? I'm sure AATT wont approve of them. Especially near the airport.

Plus where does the litter fall? The paper would eventually degrade but the wire frame remains

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 16th, 2014, 6:37 pm

BBC News here, eh!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-here ... r-25100406
26 November 2013 Last updated at 13:48 GMT

Crews stopped the fire spreading to a nearby propane gas storage vessel

A fire at a camping and caravanning centre in Worcestershire is thought to have been started by a Chinese lantern.

About 50 caravans and mobile homes were damaged in the blaze at Croft Farm Leisure Park, near Tewkesbury, in the early hours of Sunday.

Hereford and Worcester Fire Service Group Commander Mike Cunningham said Chinese lanterns were seen in the area.

A lantern was also thought to be the cause of a major fire at a waste recycling plant in Smethwick in June.

The Chief Fire Officers' Association has called for an urgent review of how lanterns are used and there have been pleas to introduce licensing for their release.

About 50 caravans and mobile homes were destroyed or damaged

Mr Cunningham said: "Whilst these lanterns are undoubtedly popular and beautiful sight, the potential damage they can cause is significant."

Nobody was injured in the fire at Croft Farm and the fire service said crews were able to stop it spreading to a 2,000 litre propane gas storage vessel.

At its height more than 10 fire units were at the site from Gloucestershire as well as Hereford and Worcester Fire Service.

The owners of Croft Farm have been unavailable for comment.

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Pablo660 » March 16th, 2014, 6:39 pm

It would be nice to put them on strings for glowing night effect n discard properly when the time is up
Also make different shapes n colors as they are paper with wire frame

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Pablo660 » March 16th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Sad stories above as they suppose to represent luck n good fortune I belive

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » March 16th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Looks out for "I see a soucouyant thread" balls of fire in the sky .

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 16th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Chinese lantern sets disabled woman's car on fire after falling on bonnet and setting windscreen wiper blades alight

Deborah Welsh found her car ablaze in the early hours of New Year's Day
The whole bonnet and engine have completely melted away
Ms Welsh is now calling for the paper lanterns to be banned completely

By Emma Thomas

PUBLISHED: 14:35 GMT, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:28 GMT, 3 January 2014

A disabled mother was devastated to find the front of her car had completely melted away after a Chinese lantern set fire to its bonnet in the early hours of New Year's Day.

Deborah Welsh, found her blue Toyota Yaris ablaze in the early hours of New Year's Day - and is now calling for the paper lights to be banned.

Firefighters used hose reels to tackle the fire, which had started when the lantern set wiper blades and plastic trim alight, before flames spread to the engine bay.

A passer-by saw the lantern land, and upon arrival firefighters confirmed that it had caused the fire.

Chinese lanterns have been responsible for other blazes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2wAUOLubg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 16th, 2014, 6:45 pm

This supports Duane's argument.

Fire hazard: US fire marshals urge state bans on paper sky lanterns
The lanterns, popular at weddings and Asian festivals, have been banned by at least 24 states and many local jurisdictions

Associated Press in Concord, New Hampshire
theguardian.com, Monday 4 November 2013 16.38 GMT

Thin paper sky lanterns, lit from inside by candles that send them floating aloft, have been popular for centuries at Asian festivals, but US fire officials want them banned.

ImageFire lanterns released in Chiang Mai province, Thailand. 'You have no control over where it lands,' said a New Hampshire fire marshal. Photo: Getty Images

The National Association of State Fire Marshals calls them uncontrolled fire hazards, because the wind decides where to deposit the lanterns, said association president and New Hampshire fire marshal Bill Degnan.

Lanterns have ended up in trees and on tents at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, which draws tens of thousands of fans to two Nascar races each year, he said. A fire blamed on a sky lantern at a plastic recycling plant in Britain in July caused $9m in damage.

"You have no control over where it lands," he said.

A sky lantern is essentially a small hot air balloon made of paper with an opening at the bottom where a small fire is suspended. Invented in China, the lanterns were first used as signals during wars. They are launched at Asian festivals for good luck and to send wishes skyward.

They also are popular at weddings and remembrance ceremonies. Last year, sky lanterns were released into the night sky over Dover High School's football field in memory of a New Hampshire combat veteran who died in a North Carolina motorcycle crash.

Rob Laughton, part owner of an online retailer selling the lanterns, argues they should be regulated, not banned. He says his Dallas-based company, Wish Lanterns, has been responsive to the public and recently substituted bamboo for wire in the frame to make the lanterns biodegradable and no threat to animals who might try to eat them after they fall. The lanterns come with instructions on how to safely release them and customers are advised to use common sense, such as to not release them within five miles of an airport or in a wooded area, he said.

"The lantern can only come down once the wick has gone out," he said. "The lantern will come back without any burning parts."

But Degnan and other fire marshals around the country don't believe their safety can be guaranteed.

In August, the US Fire Marshals Association adopted a resolution urging states to ban the sale and use of sky lanterns. At least two dozen states and many local jurisdictions have either banned them by law or by regulation, according to Degnan.

State senator Nancy Stiles filed a bill to add New Hampshire to the list of states with sales bans.

In December, Degnan used his authority to ban the lanterns' release in New Hampshire under a code governing recreational fires, but he wants to block their sale as well. His order allows people to light the lanterns if they are tethered, but he fears the lanterns could break loose or that the requirement will be ignored.

"Even if you tell [people] to tether them, will they?" he said.

Stiles, a Hampton Republican, filed her bill at the request of Rye Fire Department chief Skip Sullivan. Sullivan said people have lit the lanterns at the beach thinking they would float out to sea only to have them blow inland. One landed in a selectman's yard, but burned out and did no damage, he said.

Sullivan said fire officials want a law "primarily for the fact that when you light these and send them off, it is an open fire you're sending off."

He added, "When these things come down, are these people going to clean up the mess they leave behind?"

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 16th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Never did feel comfortable about these things and this thread just made this something I wont ever consider using.

speedmelter
18 pounds of Boost

Postby speedmelter » March 16th, 2014, 8:24 pm

well if my house gets set on fire from one of these i know where to start looking.

spirited721
Trinituner Peong

Postby spirited721 » March 16th, 2014, 8:33 pm

toyolink wrote:Never did feel comfortable about these things and this thread just made this something I wont ever consider using.

The problem isn't the lanterns. The problem is ppl using it carelessly and inappropriately.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 16th, 2014, 8:41 pm

spirited721 wrote:
toyolink wrote:Never did feel comfortable about these things and this thread just made this something I wont ever consider using.

The problem isn't the lanterns. The problem is ppl using it carelessly and inappropriately.
how do you use it so that it doesn't leave any litter behind?

triniboy
18 pounds of Boost

Postby triniboy » March 16th, 2014, 8:44 pm

lol i am not looking to burn down anyone house, car or goat. the wedding and reception will be in tobago by the beach, so hopefuly the wind blows the lanterns out to sea

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 17th, 2014, 6:20 am

triniboy wrote:lol i am not looking to burn down anyone house, car or goat. the wedding and reception will be in tobago by the beach, so hopefuly the wind blows the lanterns out to sea

So it's okay to litter the sea ? These things should be used with strings attached so when you're done it can be safely disposed.

mediahouse
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby mediahouse » March 17th, 2014, 7:01 am

just ban it its unsafe...... release some pigeons instead Op

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » March 17th, 2014, 7:06 am

triniboy wrote:lol i am not looking to burn down anyone house, car or goat. the wedding and reception will be in tobago by the beach, so hopefuly the wind blows the lanterns out to sea

OP don't study them. There is no better way to celebrate love than arson, littering and endangering wildlife. Besides we all know this is the wife idea so you have no choice.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 17th, 2014, 11:53 am

Just a little advice;
Some of the little things we do can collectively over time ruin the future we all hope to enjoy.
......Is the few minutes of 'look at that' worth it.

wickedbreed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby wickedbreed » March 17th, 2014, 12:00 pm

290-9907 ask for edwin...tell him Avinash gave you the number

spirited721
Trinituner Peong

Postby spirited721 » March 17th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
spirited721 wrote:

how do you use it so that it doesn't leave any litter behind?

I was referring to the guy Who said he wasn't comfortable about the lanterns presumably because of the risk of its fire not so much the litter aspect.

professor
Trinituner Peong

Postby professor » March 17th, 2014, 2:11 pm

I saw a photo where they had them tide to strings, like kites, I don't this is the best solution, but could work if in a big area, and low or no breeze.

triniboy
18 pounds of Boost

Postby triniboy » March 17th, 2014, 3:58 pm

thanks for the input. i definitely don't know much about the Chinese lanterns and i will advise my family to use strings to prevent them from drifting far away and also have a fire extinguisher near by as a precaution.

any other places that sells them?

wickedbreed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby wickedbreed » March 17th, 2014, 4:16 pm

You called the guy I gave you the number for? He has a container load of them...

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 17th, 2014, 7:46 pm

As we orn the topic...

Where can i get a few of the hanging indoor ones?... not the boring plain sphere ones BTW.

More like this...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”