Forums

EMA Says POS Air polluted

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Re: EMA Says POS Air polluted

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 8:13 am

TheOwnerPO wrote:ANYBODY KNOW IF IT SAFE TO GO IN POS ?

:!: :?:

NOT SAFE!!!!!!!

Thick Smog on entering POS... Drivers on Highway cant see ahead of them... Thickest I've seen so far!
From all the streets of POS are completely filled with thick, choking, acidic, smoke!

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » January 30th, 2014, 8:14 am

Heard on 6am news EMA said air pollution levels back to "normal" and it is safe.....

came in this morning and place still smokey , eyes still burning....wtf is this sheit

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 30th, 2014, 8:18 am

Downtown has cleared up for now. Thankfully

TheOwnerPO
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TheOwnerPO » January 30th, 2014, 8:22 am

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ wrote:

NOT SAFE!!!!!!!

Thick Smog on entering POS... Drivers on Highway cant see ahead of them... Thickest I've seen so far!
From all the streets of POS are completely filled with thick, choking, acidic, smoke!

u trolling ? :cry:

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 8:26 am

pete wrote:Downtown has cleared up for now. Thankfully

Oh really?

Well.... All the schools "uptown" just announced that they are all closing and parents need to immediately come and collect their children.
So I guess that the smoke just moved from downtown to uptown...

BTW... mods not seeing two open threads discussing the same Topic / Issue?

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » January 30th, 2014, 8:42 am

EMA has their heads up their asses.
That landfill has always been an environmental concern.

Nice job, EMA.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 30th, 2014, 8:48 am

Yeah, as I posted that the smoke rolled back in again. :(

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 30th, 2014, 8:54 am

i wish you all the best tuners who have to make POS runs

Doh say I didn't warn allyuh

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 8:55 am

TheOwnerPO wrote:
Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ wrote:

NOT SAFE!!!!!!!

u trolling ? :cry:

So ah trollin cause ah talkin d truth?
I just answer a man question....

Technicolor
Street 2NR

Postby Technicolor » January 30th, 2014, 8:55 am

Now reach in POS the place real smokey still.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » January 30th, 2014, 9:05 am

This. I ent see nor smell no smoke by Citygate or Ind. Sq.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » January 30th, 2014, 9:10 am

well as of know i been told that smoke as high up as the savannah (well the smell anyhow). downtown looking like a fog.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 30th, 2014, 9:13 am

BlueIce wrote:Heard on 6am news EMA said air pollution levels back to "normal" and it is safe.....

came in this morning and place still smokey , eyes still burning....wtf is this sheit

the 6am news in this country is usually the same as the 7pm news the night before :lol:

yesterday which had little smoke probably due to wind direction they measured it within normal levels- today however it's back- i smelt it as i came out ah maxi in city gate and around Ind. Sq.

they should measure it again as wind direction change

LovinDiva
3NE 2NR for life

Postby LovinDiva » January 30th, 2014, 9:19 am

While us POS employees are getting to leave home early, we can't do nothing but go home cause we feeling sick. WTF steups

Racegod
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Racegod » January 30th, 2014, 9:39 am

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ[TRADE MARK SIGN] wrote:

Oh really?

Well.... All the schools "uptown" just announced that they are all closing and parents need to immediately come and collect their children.

Not exactly. I opened this to discuss the pollution and the air in POS with regard to health n safety for persons in POS.

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 9:46 am

LovinDiva wrote:While us POS employees are getting to leave home early, we can't do nothing but go home cause we feeling sick. WTF steups

You gettin to leave HOME early?
Lucky You...

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 9:54 am

Racegod wrote:
Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ[TRADE MARK SIGN] wrote:

Oh really?

Not exactly. I opened this to discuss the pollution and the air in POS with regard to health n safety for persons in POS.

I know... but it was the same discussion that was going on the the other ched.
Actually it is this same smoke that started that other one.
Now we seeing talks on this same topic/issue in both cheds.
I was just sayin imo...they could have probably merged them.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 30th, 2014, 10:40 am

why d fire service can't out this ting yet?

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 5:37 pm

DANGER

Deputy PoS mayor in alarming revelation: Hundreds of citizens could have died

Story Created: Jan 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM

HAD the capital city not seen a change in wind direction on Tuesday, smoke streaming out of the Beetham Landfill could have caused “mass casualties”, Deputy Mayor of Port of Spain, Keron Valentine, said yesterday.

Valentine was among those officials called to an emergency meeting of the National Operations Centre (NOC) at Knowsley Building on Tuesday, where he said it was expressed by some first-responder experts that had Tuesday’s smoke been allowed to settle on the city, hundreds of citizens could have died.

“I think this situation is way more serious that the average citizens thinks it is,” Valentine said in a telephone interview yesterday.

“We were told at that meeting that had the wind not changed direction, we could have had mass casualties in the city,”he said.

The “casualties” could have been caused by the sheer volume of smoke and because the smoke was found to be in severe violation of air pollution rules, though the long-term effects of the toxins in the smoke are also cause for concern.

Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of death for victims of indoor fires and a number of medical websites searched yesterday stated that victims can “die within two to ten minutes” of consistent inhalation.

Port of Spain saw a resurgence of the toxic smoke yesterday, as wind conditions had reversed from Tuesday and brought smoke into the city and environs, where it had previously been pulled out to sea.

The smoke was visible and detectable to the nose yesterday and led to over a dozen schools and numerous businesses being forced to close their doors early.
The volume coming out of the landfill had lessened, however, as the Fire Service has been able to bring over a dozen fires burning at the site since Sunday under control and was left with one large fire that remained smoldering stubbornly.

Valentine said he intends to raise the matter at today Council meeting of the Port of Spain City Corporation, as a long-term solution to the problem must be found.
Talks at NOC on Tuesday yielded a number of suggestions, including the establishment of a “fire lane” at the landfill to accommodate fire service vehicles.

“One of the problems being experienced was that Fire Service vehicles could not access areas closer to the fire,” said Valentine, who also serves as chairman of the Council’s Public Health Committee and Security and Disaster Management Committee.

Attending that meeting were various agencies and also the Port of Spain, San/Juan Laventille and Diego Martin corporations, all of which have been affected by the reach of the smoke.

“We are getting a lot of calls from burgesses all over, complaining that the smoke is aggravating respiratory problems or causing discomfort,” Valentine said.

“We have had complaints from as far as Teteron.”

The landfill was the site of a series of fire late last year as well, when authorities struggled for up to a week to bring the fires under control.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/DAN ... 77401.html

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 5:54 pm

...City schools and businesses affected

OVER a dozen schools in the capital city were forced to close their doors and send pupils home yesterday as acrid smoke out of the Beetham Landfill continued to invade Port of Spain and its environs.

National Petroleum (NP) also advised yesterday that the company had once again been forced to vacate its Sea Lots premises due to the excessive smoke at the Beetham Landfill.

“Once again contingencies have been put in place to ensure ongoing delivery of fuel but there will be no sale of LPG from NP Sea Lots,” the company said.
The Express was told by one staff member of the Eastern Girls’ Primary School that the smoke troubling the city since last Sunday was so “thick and bitter” early yesterday morning as to cause some pupils to cough, wheeze and experience burning of the eyes, nose and throat.

The smoke, which the Environmental Management Authority (EMA) said yesterday was cause for “grave concern”, began to envelope the city Sunday from what later was revealed to be at least a dozen fires in the landfill.

Though Beetham residents have denied it, speculation arose that the fires were set deliberately following the shooting Sunday of a Beetham resident by police.
In a media statement yesterday, the Ministry of Education confirmed that approval had been granted for the early closure of some schools.

Success/Laventille Secondary School, Queen’s Royal College, St Joseph Convent, Tranquility Government Secondary School, St Roses Girls’ Primary School, Rosary Boys Primary School, Beetham Estate Primary School, Bethlehem Girls’ Primary School, Bethlehem Boys Primary School, St Philips Government Primary School, Sacred Heart Girls Primary School, Sacred Boys Primary School, Eastern Girls Primary School, St Hildas Government Primary School, St Ursulas AC Primary School and Moulton Hall Methodist Primary School were all granted permission to dismiss pupils early.

In addition to some schools, businesses throughout downtown Port of Spain had to allow some of their employees to take leave for the day.

As far as St Ann’s, the Denmark Consulate was also closed, after smoke blew in and settled on the area.
On the streets in Port of Spain, vendors complained that they had been forced to subject themselves to the smoky conditions or lose business.
“If we go home, we don’t make a living,” said one fruit vendor, who complained that the smoke had given her a persistent headache since last Sunday.

For those vendors living in the Beetham area, the problem has been a 24-hour one.
“I don’t know if the fire was set on purpose or not but it has affected me and my children since Sunday,” another vendor said, adding that her four-year granddaughter, an asthmatic, has had to be monitored since then.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Cit ... 77041.html

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 30th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ wrote:
DANGER

Deputy PoS mayor in alarming revelation: Hundreds of citizens could have died

Story Created: Jan 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM

HAD the capital city not seen a change in wind direction on Tuesday, smoke streaming out of the Beetham Landfill could have caused “mass casualties”, Deputy Mayor of Port of Spain, Keron Valentine, said yesterday.

Valentine was among those officials called to an emergency meeting of the National Operations Centre (NOC) at Knowsley Building on Tuesday, where he said it was expressed by some first-responder experts that had Tuesday’s smoke been allowed to settle on the city, hundreds of citizens could have died.

“I think this situation is way more serious that the average citizens thinks it is,” Valentine said in a telephone interview yesterday.

“We were told at that meeting that had the wind not changed direction, we could have had mass casualties in the city,”he said.

The “casualties” could have been caused by the sheer volume of smoke and because the smoke was found to be in severe violation of air pollution rules, though the long-term effects of the toxins in the smoke are also cause for concern.

Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of death for victims of indoor fires and a number of medical websites searched yesterday stated that victims can “die within two to ten minutes” of consistent inhalation.

Port of Spain saw a resurgence of the toxic smoke yesterday, as wind conditions had reversed from Tuesday and brought smoke into the city and environs, where it had previously been pulled out to sea.

The smoke was visible and detectable to the nose yesterday and led to over a dozen schools and numerous businesses being forced to close their doors early.
The volume coming out of the landfill had lessened, however, as the Fire Service has been able to bring over a dozen fires burning at the site since Sunday under control and was left with one large fire that remained smoldering stubbornly.

Valentine said he intends to raise the matter at today Council meeting of the Port of Spain City Corporation, as a long-term solution to the problem must be found.
Talks at NOC on Tuesday yielded a number of suggestions, including the establishment of a “fire lane” at the landfill to accommodate fire service vehicles.

“One of the problems being experienced was that Fire Service vehicles could not access areas closer to the fire,” said Valentine, who also serves as chairman of the Council’s Public Health Committee and Security and Disaster Management Committee.

Attending that meeting were various agencies and also the Port of Spain, San/Juan Laventille and Diego Martin corporations, all of which have been affected by the reach of the smoke.

“We are getting a lot of calls from burgesses all over, complaining that the smoke is aggravating respiratory problems or causing discomfort,” Valentine said.

“We have had complaints from as far as Teteron.”

The landfill was the site of a series of fire late last year as well, when authorities struggled for up to a week to bring the fires under control.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/DAN ... 77401.html

perhaps someone with asthma could get a serious attack and die but 100s of citizens?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » January 30th, 2014, 6:47 pm

What do fire trucks need to go into the dump for? They already said the fires need to be covered and putting water on them does very little.

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Ah next jackass idiot in d SWMCOL head tells the public:

"The people livin in/around POS, should go and stay by their relatives in other parts of Trinidad!"

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » January 30th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Nah let them stay in epos is ok.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » January 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm

This aint serious until people can't spend money in town, till then carry on

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » January 30th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Drag mall sellin dust mask

Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ѵ∑ŤЄЃλЙ™ » January 30th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Thick smoke fails to stop hustlers

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Groups of hustlers, some barebacked, others in shorts, and all without face masks, continued to rummage through the Beetham landfill yesterday, hours after it was declared closed by Solid Waste Management Company Ltd (SWMCOL) as concerns over public health heightened. The decision to close the dump was the result of advice from the Environmental Management Authority (EMA).

Yesterday afternoon, however, trucks still operated within the landfill and men were seen sorting through garbage on the massive site, despite the thick smoke emanating from heaps of garbage. SWMCOL could not give an estimate of when the landfill would be reopened or how long it would take for the situation to return to normal. In a release yesterday, the company also suggested that the fires, which have created a toxic cloud of smoke over the capital and environs since Monday, were man-made.

SWMCOL chair Nalini Sooklal also said they also redirected regular operations to the other landfills at Forres Park and Guanapo to help bring the situation under control. The fires have not yet been extinguished. Sooklal said one area of the landfill was still on fire and SWMCOL would continue to “work assiduously” to dealing with it despite the prevailing wind conditions, which caused a resurgence of smoke in the capital city and environs yesterday.

Smoke was reported in parts of St James yesterday, but according to the EMA air pollution levels were much lower or normal further away from the city. Sooklal said SWMCOL had been working with the EMA to monitor the impact of the fires on the air quality in the affected areas.

“We continue to apologise to the national community for the inconvenience and adverse consequences of these fires. SWMCOL also wishes to advise motorists to exercise caution on the roadways as the resultant smoke has impaired visibility,” said Sooklal.

The National Petroleum Company’s Sea Lots operations also remained closed for a third straight day yesterday due to the situation. However, the company said it does not expect citizens who use LPG gas to be significantly affected by the closure. It said the LPG cylinders were available at other locations across the country. Since Monday, the EMA has been doing air quality tests in areas in and around Port-of-Spain.

According to a release yesterday, the test done on Monday at the site closest to the source of the smoke near Sea Lots showed the particulates present in the atmosphere were more than 13 times the limit set in the Draft Air Pollution Rules.
Particulates are particles suspended in the air, and can remain suspended for long periods. They are a key component of air pollution and smog, the release said.

“Particulates affect the environment as it contributes to greenhouse gases, and affects human health as they can easily reach the deepest recesses of the lungs, leading to respiratory ailments according to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),” the release said. The test done in downtown Port- of-Spain reportedly revealed readings more than ten times the limit, and the test near the Mucurapo foreshore (the test site furthest from the source) revealed readings more than twice the limit.

A test done yesterday, however, showed the air quality within the Port-of-Spain area had returned to normality, the release said. But the air close to the landfill remained polluted.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-01- ... p-hustlers

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » January 30th, 2014, 7:45 pm

hussle mana hussle

an we nah stap try

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » January 30th, 2014, 9:02 pm

pioneer