Forums

looking into doing some courses to get a job offshore , help

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

looking into doing some courses to get a job offshore , help

Postby badstyles16 » September 12th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Tuners I'm looking for some guidance from the offshore guys on tuner as to what are all the courses in order to get a job offshore , I have my o'levels and looking to start off fresh from here , any help would be appreciated thanks .

m@x
Street 2NR

Re: looking into doing some courses to get a job offshore ,

Postby m@x » September 13th, 2013, 12:38 am

check kenson alot of there guys wrk offshore

http://www.kspt.edu.tt/

avidipsingh
Riding on 13's

Postby avidipsingh » September 13th, 2013, 1:07 am

Why mot look for an opportunity rather than a job , the world has shifted its way of business , major companies are going performance based , if so why not put your efforts into an opportunity where your performance will determine your income , call 684 6322, if you want an opportunity to b free financially

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

Postby badstyles16 » September 14th, 2013, 9:55 am

Nahh i want a job , have my own business on the side already

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » September 14th, 2013, 10:03 am

go do A level;s ----> den uwi ---> mechanical / process / petroleum engineering ---> den a offshore job , going offshore with O levels is a tuff job u will most likely get a labor job which really sucks

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

Postby badstyles16 » September 14th, 2013, 10:06 am

Cool , doesn't have to be along the lines of engineering though could also be health and safety , i heard highly of the nebosh program

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

Postby badstyles16 » September 16th, 2013, 8:52 am

Anyone?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2013, 9:06 am

badstyles16 wrote:Anyone?

O levels will get you no where, you need at least a tech cert/dip. Most offshore men are technicians and some deck hands with very few engineers on board. Engineers tend to work on land as there us not much need for them offshore. They make very few trips offshore. Techs, opps, and deck hands do the bulk of the work with lessers staff such as cooks and laundry.
Offshore industry is changing as just having a tech cert is no longer acceptable you also need to prove that you can do the work by getting your competence level done. In the UK, West African you need have an NVQ in your field. Its a long process that requires you to have apprenticeship papers, tech cert and competence cert.
Last edited by zoom rader on September 16th, 2013, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

Postby badstyles16 » September 16th, 2013, 9:08 am

where is a good place to get a tech cert/diploma ?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2013, 9:10 am

badstyles16 wrote:where is a good place to get a tech cert/diploma ?

Utt

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » September 16th, 2013, 9:26 am

badstyles16 wrote:Nahh i want a job , have my own business on the side already

invest in another business dont waste your time to go off shore

badstyles16
Riding on 13's

Postby badstyles16 » September 17th, 2013, 8:57 am

:bump:

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » September 18th, 2013, 6:22 am

zoom rader wrote:

O levels will get you no where, you need at least a tech cert/dip. Most offshore men are technicians and some deck hands with very few engineers on board. Engineers tend to work on land as there us not much need for them offshore. They make very few trips offshore. Techs, opps, and deck hands do the bulk of the work with lessers staff such as cooks and laundry.
Offshore industry is changing as just having a tech cert is no longer acceptable you also need to prove that you can do the work by getting your competence level done. In the UK, West African you need have an NVQ in your field. Its a long process that requires you to have apprenticeship papers, tech cert and competence cert.

Plenty people feel just doing courses will land them a big post one time.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 18th, 2013, 8:09 am

brams112 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

Plenty people feel just doing courses will land them a big post one time.

Doing courses is the first step and will help, you need to prove that you can do the job safely. Offshore is more about working safe and in a particular manner as it will only take one clown to cause a major safety issues. Another important part is the right attitude or behaviour, you can have all requirements but can you work and get along with other staff, in most cases you have to work multiple nationalties of different races.

sonny
Riding on 13's

Postby sonny » September 18th, 2013, 9:25 am

Is there any type of Information Technology (I.T.) jobs offshore, and if yes how do you apply.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 18th, 2013, 9:35 am

opeee.all the best on wanting to go offshore,imo find something that's a major requirement and study as much as you can in the relevant discipline.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 18th, 2013, 9:44 am

sonny wrote:Is there any type of Information Technology (I.T.) jobs offshore, and if yes how do you apply.

Nope, most of the time it's done by contractors

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » September 18th, 2013, 2:24 pm

The most you may get offshore in terms of IT is setup with connections. They don't have a constant presence out there. You can check Harris caprock or Illuminat, but the guys who go out there to setup comms are the same guys who do it on land. So if you're into that job you can't mind climbing 300ft towers on land.
The operator may send out someone from IT once or twice to see what the scene is initially, but that's it. They sent me out on the exploration rig once to assess what they would need on it. The 4-5 times I went out after was because the guys on board kept complaining about the connection ad I went out to test. Other than that, everything is done remotely, and cabling issues are sorted out by the rig electricians, so they won't spend a bed on IT. I make weekly visits to the production platforms now because men can't leave cables alone. No perk or joy in doing that other than the rum shop talk between the idle men on board.

nightwolf
Street 2NR

Postby nightwolf » September 19th, 2013, 2:08 am

Op I'd say go with the suggestion made by m@x first. If you're from south you should start working on land rigs. Check companies like Sadhna, CWSL(Caribbean Well Services Ltd located in Freeport), Range Resources and Well Services. Most guys start on land and eventually get offshore.

Since I've seen lots of people posting about wanting a job offshore. Let me say that if your sole purpose for wanting to work offshore is for money cuz you heard about a rig man who has a big house, nice car etc. Then you'll be miserable as fcuk when you get out there. It takes a certain attitude to work in the oilfield, you have to at the very least like a rig and not be a total cnut. You can't be bothered by missing holidays, fetes, carnival and birthdays. I have not spent Christmas or my Birthday on land in years. You need to keep whatever bad man attitude at home.

Please get experience onshore first. I'm sure the other oilfield tuners would agree that we have seen too many people outside who are inexperienced but try to be a hero during the most routine tasks. Remember the hospital not around the corner and your wife, gf or mom, will not be there to patch your ass up.

Feel free to pm if you need some guidance op.

pluggie
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby pluggie » September 19th, 2013, 2:41 am

do a cooking course and apply to go offshore as a chef with a catering firm.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 19th, 2013, 8:16 am

nightwolf wrote:Op I'd say go with the suggestion made by m@x first. If you're from south you should start working on land rigs. Check companies like Sadhna, CWSL(Caribbean Well Services Ltd located in Freeport), Range Resources and Well Services. Most guys start on land and eventually get offshore.

Since I've seen lots of people posting about wanting a job offshore. Let me say that if your sole purpose for wanting to work offshore is for money cuz you heard about a rig man who has a big house, nice car etc. Then you'll be miserable as fcuk when you get out there. It takes a certain attitude to work in the oilfield, you have to at the very least like a rig and not be a total cnut. You can't be bothered by missing holidays, fetes, carnival and birthdays. I have not spent Christmas or my Birthday on land in years. You need to keep whatever bad man attitude at home.

Please get experience onshore first. I'm sure the other oilfield tuners would agree that we have seen too many people outside who are inexperienced but try to be a hero during the most routine tasks. Remember the hospital not around the corner and your wife, gf or mom, will not be there to patch your ass up.

Feel free to pm if you need some guidance op.

Well said, being a young guy offshore is not a nice thing unless you have belly and willing to make the sacrifice all for money over girls, wife, kids, social life.
Most men that work offshore are already established as they done the wife, family,house,car thing and looking to make money for their retirement . Its best to start onshore and establish yourself for a couple years and then look to make the move.
one thing for sure you must have an understanding family.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”