stig
Street 2NR

No bed space so woman gives birth in toilet

Postby stig » September 11th, 2013, 9:48 am

No bed space so woman gives birth in toilet

Yvonne Webb
Published:
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Overcrowding is being blamed for a woman giving birth in the toilet of the San Fernando General Hospital on Monday night and being left overnight in a wheelchair after having eight stitches. Hospital medical director Dr Anand Chatoorgoon confirmed there was no bed space because of the number of patients admitted on Monday to the obstetrics and gynaecology ward.

However, he said, he could not give an explanation for the behaviour of the nurses. The patient claimed nurses ignored her when she told them she was in labour. The Oropouche mother, who asked for her name to be withheld, said when she told the nurses she was feeling the baby’s head thrusting down her birth canal, they kept telling her to wait...it was not time...because her amniotic sac (water bag) had not broken. In a telephone interview, she said she felt a need to go to the washroom and with the nurses’ consent went to the toilet.

While there, her baby boy decided to make his entrance into the world. The woman’s mother said her daughter, in the midst of her agonising labour pain, had to execute some acrobatic moves to catch her baby to prevent him from falling into the toilet bowl. With baby in hand, the mother called out for help and the nurses who had previously ignored her came to her assistance. If this was not enough drama or trauma, the young mother was then put in a wheelchair, where she spent the night.

The woman’s mother is calling for an investigation into the treatment of her daughter. Chatoorgoon said there were a lot of deliveries on Monday and not enough bed spaces in the maternity and delivery wards. Some women who had given birth were put in recliners for observation overnight and once they were stable they were discharged yesterday morning.

He said there is bed space at the Point Fortin Area Hospital but no paediatrician and mothers were reluctant to transfer to the hospital without their babies. Chatoorgoon said once the Chancery Lane Teaching Hospital came on stream by the end of the year, there was a plan to free up the top floor of the hospital to create more space for obstetrics and gynaecology. He said the mother and child were discharged yesterday and were both in good health.

http://m.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-09-11 ... et#my-menu

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Re: No bed space so woman gives birth in toilet

Postby ruffrider27 » September 11th, 2013, 9:51 am

What with these nurse with the don't care attitude at public hospitals .

spanish
Sweet on this forum

Postby spanish » September 11th, 2013, 9:58 am

stig wrote: ...she said she felt a need to go to the washroom and with the nurses’ consent went to the toilet.

http://m.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-09-11 ... et#my-menu

Wow...so they didn't realise what was happening?

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 11th, 2013, 10:08 am

Costatt nurses again...ent all dem kfc guntress make noise an bawl it too hard to get into nursing

Now everybody is a nurse

Deal with it...self inflicted wounds

G-T
3NE 2NR for life

Postby G-T » September 11th, 2013, 10:14 am

That is why I am not going to have my babies in this country, any other country but here.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 11th, 2013, 10:16 am

G-T wrote:That is why I am not going to have my babies in this country, any other country but here.

Let's hope you find someone actually willing to impregnate you first.

4sick

ninjabilly
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ninjabilly » September 11th, 2013, 10:17 am

And enters the village idiot^^

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » September 11th, 2013, 10:21 am

ruffrider27 wrote:What with these nurse with the don't care attitude at public hospitals .
they don't care full stop. When all you attracting are people who in it for the money what you expect. What they need to do is have patients rate the nurse assigned to them and every 4 months cull from a side, I assure you it have competent replacement waiting for a chance.

javishm
punchin NOS

Postby javishm » September 11th, 2013, 10:22 am

why would they care? honeslty

Naz
Street 2NR

Postby Naz » September 11th, 2013, 10:57 am

My wife had her baby there on Friday 6th... Idk if there were different nurses on that day but some were very helpful n informative... On d other hand Pt. Fortin was very blunt and useless... I'm from cap de ville Pt Fortin, in d early stages she was sent to sando from d clinic Caz of some pressure issues... They said that point had no doc to see about those cases right now but deliveries will be done there...
D day her water bag broke, i was in pos omw home with d car so my mum took her to Pt Fortin and d nurse there told her, (in a very don't care manner) that it have nobody here to take care of that n there is no ambulance at that time so u will have to take her there urself, turned her back n continued about her business... Lucky my mum had d van or else Idk how she was gona get there in time...
They didn't even bother to check my wife...
I thank god that she reached in d hospital in time n both she n my baby girl happy n healthy at home...

Our taxpayers money are better spent on range rovers, offshore accounts and all d rest of things we does hear about n even those we don't hear about...
Don't blame all d nurses, though some are really don't care, share some of d blame with those politicians that does nun but steal our taxpayers money...

For sure they will never get a vote from me... No one!!! Till d day they stop studying their pockets and actually study d ppl...

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » September 11th, 2013, 10:59 am

Wow. That is utter crap.

But on another note, I've never fully understood how it is we have so many births every single day.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 11th, 2013, 11:03 am

Private institution ftw

If yuh cya afford, tough luck. Should evaluate your finances before multiplying to put more burden on your bank account.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » September 11th, 2013, 11:08 am

Victoria Nursing Home FTMFW 8)

stig
Street 2NR

Postby stig » September 11th, 2013, 11:10 am

pioneer wrote:Private institution ftw

If yuh cya afford, tough luck. Should evaluate your finances before multiplying to put more burden on your bank account.

Good luck thinking thats the end all of it. If private hospitals can't handle you your arse going right to a hospital. And what private can handle is very limited.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 11th, 2013, 11:10 am

G-T wrote:That is why I am not going to have my babies in this country, any other country but here.

Guyana will always welcome you

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » September 11th, 2013, 11:11 am

Well you see goalpost, a boy has a penis and a girl has a vagina...

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » September 11th, 2013, 11:14 am

This is why private institutions will always flourish run by the same drs who workeed in public health care and even some nurses from the same said hospitals yet we continue to waste time on issues with a highway

silver
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby silver » September 11th, 2013, 11:21 am

^^ :lol:
when a man and woman love each other..verryy much...

uncle sam
punchin NOS

Postby uncle sam » September 11th, 2013, 11:48 am

this is unacceptable

spanish
Sweet on this forum

Postby spanish » September 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm

stig wrote:
Good luck thinking thats the end all of it. If private hospitals can't handle you your arse going right to a hospital. And what private can handle is very limited.

This is so true. If your delivery gets complicated is straight to the public hospital you going. Look at what happened to Sasha Bisnath.

Thankfully, this mom and her baby are alright after that ordeal. So many things could go wrong in an un-aided delivery.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » September 11th, 2013, 12:12 pm

ruffrider27 wrote:What with these nurse with the don't care attitude at public hospitals .

A few hours before I was born my mother said she was in real pressure. The nurse gave her the I is a nurse story. The same nurse was real vex when she passed back in the morning and I was there, quiet, no scene.

So nothing eh change since, really. Child was born a survivor. Let's hope the parents consistently do their best for him.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 11th, 2013, 12:13 pm

spanish wrote:
stig wrote:

This is so true. If your delivery gets complicated is straight to the public hospital you going. Look at what happened to Sasha Bisnath.

Thankfully, this mom and her baby are alright after that ordeal. So many things could go wrong in an un-aided delivery.

why? private hospitals doh have doctors?

stig
Street 2NR

Postby stig » September 11th, 2013, 12:18 pm

redmanjp wrote:
spanish wrote:
stig wrote:

why? private hospitals doh have doctors?

There are but as Spanish said if you have complications beyond their control they will send you to hospital. That's the fine print no doctor tells you.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » September 11th, 2013, 12:19 pm

^^^ it's so they don't have to catch, if you have complications they send you public and not worry.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 11th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Awaits for carnivals baby season.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 11th, 2013, 1:46 pm

I dunno why people assume makin baby is a right, it's a risk.

matthewmazda
Riding on 18's

Postby matthewmazda » September 11th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Better you just do like them ole time days and make them home you might get better service

*Nebula*
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby *Nebula* » September 11th, 2013, 2:09 pm

The situation was handled badly, really unacceptable.

On another note; not all nurses are bad. There are some who value and care for the patients and some who are just there for the ride.

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 11th, 2013, 2:13 pm

The only way to make public servants work is to put them all on contract.

Naz
Street 2NR

Postby Naz » September 11th, 2013, 2:26 pm

pioneer wrote:Private institution ftw

Ohh, how much kids u got?
I've been married ten yrs and this is my 1st baby... Was more than prepared but do some research before u open ur pie hole... Went to Victoria and even tried gulf view medical but nun will accept complications(eg pressure)... They both said she would be referred to d hospital anyway... Nun anyone could do from there, only when ur in it u know...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”