Re: good investments?

Postby snatman » April 5th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Rockram wrote:
snatman wrote:
Rockram wrote:
snatman wrote:
Rockram wrote:
snatman wrote:
Infamouz wrote:Dividends is sheit.. 3 years ago it was like 50c now about 1.75 ---- who knowz the value progressing forward... Looking @ Price appreciation

At a price/earnings ratio of 13-14 and dividend yield of 1.15%, I don't think there's much room for capital gains anytime soon. The only reason this is trading at such a high price is that there's the option to receive dividends in US currency.

NCBFG, MASSY, RFHL along with CIF and CALYP looks to be the best buys on the local exchange right now. If you have a long term horizon.

Agreed, whats your thoughts TTNGL though

If a certain development comes to fruition, $45+ is likely this year. Otherwise, its a good dividend investment.

disclaimer: I'm not a pro. Do your own research.

Are u refrencing possible USD$ dividends or dragon deal?

USD$ dividends + increased production

So its confirmed no USD$ dividend for 2019.

Yup.
What a massive disappointment.
Two years straight they "working on" paying dividends in U.S. currency.
Steups.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Short/long term investments/retirement policies etc advise

Postby DVSTT » April 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

What are your guys' thoughts on Calypso Fund?

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » April 15th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Can anyone recommend an experienced local consultant with a good track record to advise on for e.g. a relatively low risk 10 to 20 year $100k investment by whatever optimum method, individual or spread (stocks, forex, bonds, etc.)?

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » April 16th, 2019, 8:28 am

zorced wrote:Can anyone recommend an experienced local consultant with a good track record to advise on for e.g. a relatively low risk 10 to 20 year $100k investment by whatever optimum method, individual or spread (stocks, forex, bonds, etc.)?

I Recommend doing your own research and coming up with an investment strategy that suits your appetite (risk / rewards), this will save you some fees also i find that a lot of these " advisors" seek there own interests > you have a long term investment horizon 10/20 years local and international equities are a good bet....or as simple as a good credit union, some of which offer between 4 and 8 % interest with deposit insurance if you're risk averse.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 16th, 2019, 8:44 am

What investment giving 8%

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » April 16th, 2019, 9:02 am

pugboy wrote:What investment giving 8%

I was referencing that some credit unions give between 4 to 8% over an investment range, for example i believe TATECO paid dividends of 7% for 2018, of course this is no guarantee of future returns but over a long investment horizon with relatively low risk it is an option.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 16th, 2019, 9:05 am

Currently Fixed Income could be a terrible investment for the long term.

That includes deposits.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 16th, 2019, 9:33 am

wow 7% is high over a 1 year period

majority of local institutions investing in the same things locally(stock market/treasury) and giving 1-2%
i had put some money in a lil scotia fund that the bank rep kept harassing me to invest
only to find out I owned the same stocks it was invested in(witco etc) and they paying me less

Rockram wrote:

I was referencing that some credit unions give between 4 to 8% over an investment range, for example i believe TATECO paid dividends of 7% for 2018, of course this is no guarantee of future returns but over a long investment horizon with relatively low risk it is an option.

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » April 16th, 2019, 10:06 am

[quote="pugboy"]wow 7% is high over a 1 year period

majority of local institutions investing in the same things locally(stock market/treasury) and giving 1-2%
i had put some money in a lil scotia fund that the bank rep kept harassing me to invest
only to find out I owned the same stocks it was invested in(witco etc) and they paying me less

"That's because when they minus their obscene fees, pay shareholders, bonuses etc, they squeeze us the small investor! Also the government alluded to an NIF 2, the last offering had rates of 4.5/5.7/6.6 % you can create a bond ladder if it materializes."

snatman
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snatman » April 16th, 2019, 11:32 am

DVSTT wrote:What are your guys' thoughts on Calypso Fund?

Cinderella stock if any!
If you buy and hold til redemption date, unless something catastrophic takes place, It should outperform the market.

IMO

triniringo
3NE 2NR for life

Postby triniringo » April 16th, 2019, 11:44 am

Rockram wrote:

Rockram wrote:

Dividend for 2018 was 4.3%

triniringo
3NE 2NR for life

Postby triniringo » April 16th, 2019, 11:44 am

Rockram wrote:

4%

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » April 16th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Rockram wrote:
zorced wrote:Can anyone recommend an experienced local consultant with a good track record to advise on for e.g. a relatively low risk 10 to 20 year $100k investment by whatever optimum method, individual or spread (stocks, forex, bonds, etc.)?

I Recommend doing your own research and coming up with an investment strategy that suits your appetite (risk / rewards), this will save you some fees also i find that a lot of these " advisors" seek there own interests > you have a long term investment horizon 10/20 years local and international equities are a good bet....or as simple as a good credit union, some of which offer between 4 and 8 % interest with deposit insurance if you're risk averse.
Appreciate it..

Would you folks recommend going in without an advisor for the medium term as well? Say 5 years.

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » April 16th, 2019, 12:17 pm

triniringo wrote:
Rockram wrote:

Rockram wrote:

Dividend for 2018 was 4.3%

Tateco (South) Different from North
South 2015 7%, 2016 6%, 2017 7%, 2018 6%
North 2015 6%, 2016 5%, 2017 5%, 2018 4.3%

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 16th, 2019, 12:58 pm

zorced wrote:
Rockram wrote:

Appreciate it..

Would you folks recommend going in without an advisor for the medium term as well? Say 5 years.

Again, Depositing that money for anything beyond 2 years is a mis allocation.
Inflation will cut those returns by at least 2-3% going forward(yes I know CBTT says Inflation is sub 2%)

5+ years buy the 1st scheme UTC fund. Its the best managed TTD fund-and carries a garantee beyond 3 years.
Growth and Income so its a little bit of both worlds-with a Guarantee.

Equities give you a shot at keeping pace with inflation and to some extent a devaluation.
Anything else would be direct stocks.

All of this would be subject to the details on the investor and where they are in their life.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » April 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Thanks Redman. Just saw the replies.
Not interested in typical deposits for that same reason, was just considering if there are advisors who are worth their fees.

Agree on the bs with the quoted inflation rate especially seeing things like RPI from a realistic standpoint. Then we have the uncertainty caused by issues related to forex, energy, taxes, job market, crime, vene crisis and so on.

That is why so far when I begin to look at anything but low risk longer term options, it's a lot to consider in these times so I just gettin the feeling that while it's guava season for most, it's crop time for people with insider knowledge or at least intuition.
Redman wrote:
zorced wrote:
Rockram wrote:

Appreciate it..

Again, Depositing that money for anything beyond 2 years is a mis allocation.
Inflation will cut those returns by at least 2-3% going forward(yes I know CBTT says Inflation is sub 2%)

5+ years buy the 1st scheme UTC fund. Its the best managed TTD fund-and carries a garantee beyond 3 years.
Growth and Income so its a little bit of both worlds-with a Guarantee.

Equities give you a shot at keeping pace with inflation and to some extent a devaluation.
Anything else would be direct stocks.

All of this would be subject to the details on the investor and where they are in their life.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » April 18th, 2019, 11:03 pm

snatman wrote:
DVSTT wrote:What are your guys' thoughts on Calypso Fund?

Cinderella stock if any!
If you buy and hold til redemption date, unless something catastrophic takes place, It should outperform the market.

IMO

Actually considering doing just that.
At current trading price it seems grossly undervalued.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 19th, 2019, 5:12 am

the magic number is 4% return
that is the baseline dividend return the local stocks are giving eg witco, rfhl

of which basically all the institutions are invested in. eg utc, nib, nif, bank mutual funds etc
so after they take their cut you getting 2-3% unless you directly invest in those stocks
the positive of investing in a big fund is you can cash out at any time.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 19th, 2019, 10:13 am

Govt gonna offer mortgage bonds. Aimed at creating more capital for housing

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » April 19th, 2019, 12:53 pm

sMASH wrote:Govt gonna offer mortgage bonds. Aimed at creating more capital for housing

Would this not be very similar to the whole 2008 subprime mortgage fiasco?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 19th, 2019, 1:25 pm

they borrowing money for HDC to build more housing ?

thing is a mortgage bond/load is typically the person wanting the loan mortgaging/handing over their property as collateral
what is the govt giving you to call this a mortgage bond to make it any different than any other govt bond/borrowing from citizens scheme ?

I certainly dont see them asking the new HDC occupiers/tenants to lend the govt the money to build the same overpriced racket contractor built housing

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 19th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I not sure what going on, but giving the owner the bond, with house as collateral, how is that different from taking out a mortgage?
At the end of the bond, does the bond holder earn an interest?

I was thinking, they issue bonds to raise funds, to give to HDC to use as capital to build houses. Home owners tke the house mortgages, and bond holders wait fir their maturity + interest.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 19th, 2019, 3:00 pm

yes the latter, however I dont think HDC was ever in the mortgage business directly with their tenants esp since most HDC houses are nominal costs and the more expensive ones like Victoria Keys are outright sold to customers who get their own mortgages

sMASH wrote:I not sure what going on, but giving the owner the bond, with house as collateral, how is that different from taking out a mortgage?
At the end of the bond, does the bond holder earn an interest?

I was thinking, they issue bonds to raise funds, to give to HDC to use as capital to build houses. Home owners tke the house mortgages, and bond holders wait fir their maturity + interest.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » April 19th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Some options to consider for $100k investment.

Fixed deposit

Low Risk because insured by Deposit insurance corporation up to $125,000

Development finance
3%/ 1 year up to 3.75%/ 5 years
https://www.dflbusiness.com/rates

Caribbean finance company
3.25% advertised in print media up to $500k. Not sure if they scale it down for lower amounts

Credit unions

For reference dividends from some of the popular credit unions are Rhand =3% (2018), Easter credit union = 2.5% ( 2017), Venture (2017)= 3.5%, TECU (2018) = 3.15%

However please ensure the institution is a member of TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO CREDIT UNION DEPOSIT INSURANCE FUND CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY LIMITED
http://stabfundtt.com/members/

Insurance on Shares & Deposits held by members (individuals who are members of Credit Unions) in the event of a failed Credit Union. This means that if, for any reason, a Credit Union should go into Liquidation, all members belonging to that credit union will receive protection of their unencumbered funds of up to $125,000 on Shares and $50,000 on Deposits

Unit trust growth and income fund ( low risk due to capital guarantee)

capital invested for more than 3 years, is guaranteed plus dividends are paid bi-annually
2% sales charge
Can cash out at any time for emergency
Current Capital-appreciation 18.44 / 1 year ago $18.01/ 2 years ago $17.53/ 3 years $16.80
Approximately 3.1% capital gain plus dividend
https://www.ttutc.com/mutual-funds/grow ... e-fund.htm
These are like stocks so subject to market swings; however capital guarantee provides protection

Medium / high risk :

Trinidad and Tobago stock markets good dividends
however for the last five years major players such as Massy , Ansa have been negative with respect to capital gains
although some are threatening to give better capital gains this years such as massy and FCB
Critical items if investing in stock market
(1) do not put all eggs in one basket - therefore in the event of one company failure other stocks can keep you in a positive position.
(2) local commission is high 1.5% first $50k, 1.25% on $50k to $100k plus 0.18% regulatory fees
3) share prices fluctuate either due to company’s performance or external factors ( e.g. slow down of economy) however the general concept is that the long term there is an increase in capital value .

As example Ansa pay a dividend of $1.80/ per stock with a current stock price of $55.24/ share. Equivalent to 3% dividends
However in terms of capital growth it has actually been negative
2014 = $66.44; 2015 = $66.52; 2016= $66.63; 2017 = $66.50; 2018 = $62.99; 2019 = $55.00

High risk - Other options you can consider however you need to investigate and access risk

1) Works credit union who offers a fixed deposit at 5% / year above $50,000
However it is uninsured so high risk until due diligence is performed to understand organization structure.
https://workscu.com/loans-accounts/savi ... -deposits/

Other options to consider are
1) government bonds e.g. NIF which pair 4.5% to 6.6%. There are suppose to be trading on open market so there may be some available for purchase. Speak to a broker for options
2) Central bank of Trinidad and Tobago treasury bills. Based on print media 1 year return is 2.78%.
https://www.central-bank.org.tt/core-fu ... sury-bills
3) corporate bonds - speak to a broker for options.
One example is Home mortgage bank which issued bonds in oct 2018 and may still have some available at 4.75% interest.

With respect to financial advisors at $100k investment you are better off on your own and doing research because the commission / management fee to a competent advisor may not he worth their time. Therefore you will end up speaking to someone who may know less than you and is strictly interested obtaining sales to meet company target and less about your goals

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » April 21st, 2019, 3:21 am

^Thanks for sharing that. It seems like a good digest of options to help the decision.
Honestly trying to figure out what is the appeal of many of them though.

francis1979 wrote:

Some options to consider for $100k investment.

Fixed deposit

Low Risk because insured by Deposit insurance corporation up to $125,000

Development finance
3%/ 1 year up to 3.75%/ 5 years
https://www.dflbusiness.com/rates

Caribbean finance company
3.25% advertised in print media up to $500k. Not sure if they scale it down for lower amounts

Credit unions

For reference dividends from some of the popular credit unions are Rhand =3% (2018), Easter credit union = 2.5% ( 2017), Venture (2017)= 3.5%, TECU (2018) = 3.15%

However please ensure the institution is a member of TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO CREDIT UNION DEPOSIT INSURANCE FUND CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY LIMITED
http://stabfundtt.com/members/

Insurance on Shares & Deposits held by members (individuals who are members of Credit Unions) in the event of a failed Credit Union. This means that if, for any reason, a Credit Union should go into Liquidation, all members belonging to that credit union will receive protection of their unencumbered funds of up to $125,000 on Shares and $50,000 on Deposits

Unit trust growth and income fund ( low risk due to capital guarantee)

capital invested for more than 3 years, is guaranteed plus dividends are paid bi-annually
2% sales charge
Can cash out at any time for emergency
Current Capital-appreciation 18.44 / 1 year ago $18.01/ 2 years ago $17.53/ 3 years $16.80
Approximately 3.1% capital gain plus dividend
https://www.ttutc.com/mutual-funds/grow ... e-fund.htm
These are like stocks so subject to market swings; however capital guarantee provides protection

Medium / high risk :

Trinidad and Tobago stock markets good dividends
however for the last five years major players such as Massy , Ansa have been negative with respect to capital gains
although some are threatening to give better capital gains this years such as massy and FCB
Critical items if investing in stock market
(1) do not put all eggs in one basket - therefore in the event of one company failure other stocks can keep you in a positive position.
(2) local commission is high 1.5% first $50k, 1.25% on $50k to $100k plus 0.18% regulatory fees
3) share prices fluctuate either due to company’s performance or external factors ( e.g. slow down of economy) however the general concept is that the long term there is an increase in capital value .

As example Ansa pay a dividend of $1.80/ per stock with a current stock price of $55.24/ share. Equivalent to 3% dividends
However in terms of capital growth it has actually been negative
2014 = $66.44; 2015 = $66.52; 2016= $66.63; 2017 = $66.50; 2018 = $62.99; 2019 = $55.00

High risk - Other options you can consider however you need to investigate and access risk

1) Works credit union who offers a fixed deposit at 5% / year above $50,000
However it is uninsured so high risk until due diligence is performed to understand organization structure.
https://workscu.com/loans-accounts/savi ... -deposits/

Other options to consider are
1) government bonds e.g. NIF which pair 4.5% to 6.6%. There are suppose to be trading on open market so there may be some available for purchase. Speak to a broker for options
2) Central bank of Trinidad and Tobago treasury bills. Based on print media 1 year return is 2.78%.
https://www.central-bank.org.tt/core-fu ... sury-bills
3) corporate bonds - speak to a broker for options.
One example is Home mortgage bank which issued bonds in oct 2018 and may still have some available at 4.75% interest.

With respect to financial advisors at $100k investment you are better off on your own and doing research because the commission / management fee to a competent advisor may not he worth their time. Therefore you will end up speaking to someone who may know less than you and is strictly interested obtaining sales to meet company target and less about your goals

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » April 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Does anyone use the investor tools on the W.I.S.E. website...The Portfolio tracker works but i'm not getting the weekly reports and analysis via Email

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 30th, 2019, 8:11 pm

As a wise customer I get their daily emails
Missed the ttngl meeting today with a flat tire

Rockram wrote:Does anyone use the investor tools on the W.I.S.E. website...The Portfolio tracker works but i'm not getting the weekly reports and analysis via Email

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Re: good investments?

Postby Rockram » May 1st, 2019, 12:52 pm

So it's impsbert who denied us our USD$ ttngl dividends...

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 2nd, 2019, 12:05 am

Having a discussion with someone wrt this cash value stuff.

They say when the policy matures, you get the cash value which is the interest the policy would have accumulated over the years. You do not get back the lumpsum you paid over time plus the interest, only the interest.

So what they saying is that the interest gained on payments over x amount of time supposed to exceed payments or come close to for that matter.

So say you paid out approx $100k in 30 years they have found a way to make more than $100k or close to in that time frame? Or am I missing something? Because they also saying if it makes a loss it also reflects on you.

I just cant see how this is possible.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 2nd, 2019, 5:09 am

what type of policy are they talking about ?

for the various pension type annuities,
what you get back likely to be taxed so not surely not your expectation or what they would have "sold you on"
a recent example of this is the republic bank tisp plan.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”