Forums

Trinituner Reefers, Saltwater Aquarium Fish Keepers

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Re: Trinituner Reefers, Saltwater Aquarium Fish Keepers

Postby kyhamil » March 9th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Anyone can tell me more about anemones?... what it requires in terms or water quality, temp, feedings and general care

simeon41
Riding on 13's

Postby simeon41 » March 11th, 2015, 2:46 pm

IF ANYONE INTERESTED i have some stuff to sell

3 - ecotech radion
1- ecotech reef link
1-200gal reef octopus skimmer
everything going for $10k

greenlime100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby greenlime100 » March 11th, 2015, 7:09 pm

How long do you all clean your skimmers for? As in run them in vinegar water.
I've been reading that it causes the skimmer to "break in" for a couple days when put back into the sump.

Any views?

Chriztoph3r
Street 2NR

Postby Chriztoph3r » March 13th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Hey reefers. I'm new to hobby and will be starting my 60g tank this month. Firstly my question is, im a captain offshore here and was wondering if it would be logical to collect nsw 5 miles out. Would yall suggest that or should I go artificial. Btw guys atm the water out here right now is totally clean, blue at times .i work in the Gulf of Paria

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 14th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Chriztoph3r wrote:Hey reefers. I'm new to hobby and will be starting my 60g tank this month. Firstly my question is, im a captain offshore here and was wondering if it would be logical to collect nsw 5 miles out. Would yall suggest that or should I go artificial. Btw guys atm the water out here right now is totally clean, blue at times .i work in the Gulf of Paria

Hey welcome to the group.
Better you go artificial. You 100 times safer. Seeing the water blue and blean doesnt mean its healthy. They say that one drop of crude oil can contaminate 1 million gallons of water. I wonder how much drops of oil Petrotrin an Trinmar releases on a daily basis. Besides that, when they do have an oilspill, they quick to throw dispersant. I lived in point fortin for 30+ years and worked on trinmar locations over 15yrs................. an oilspill is a normal days activity. In the gulf we have oil and chemical runoffs from all the industrial estates including all the fresh water that runs off into the gulf. Because of that you really have no idea what problems you might encounter. Remember most of the fish and corals that are being bought into the country by the handful of saltwater dealers, get their stocks from shops that are strictly either tank bred, or tank raised. 5 yrs ago, majority of them were wild caught. These fish that are getting shipped to our shores are more healthy and not prone to disease and swim bladder problems. Putting them in an unsafe environment is just asking for trouble. A mth into your tank getting set up you might start to encounter all sorts of problems and no one, book or research might be able to pinpoint the outcome. I might sound harsh, but this aint no cheap hobby, THE CANDLE MIGHT COST MORE THAN THE FUNERAL. You trying to save $200 on salt that may kill $5000 in fish, inverts, coral, live rock and bacteria in a few hrs or days. A 50 gal bag of salt is $100-$125 for the least (it have more expensive ones) ............. spend the money. Its a 60gal tank and by time you add 75-100lbs of live rock for optimum water quality, you lucky if it holds 45-50 gal of water. Its not much water you gonna be changing in any case. I change 50 gal from my tank (200+gal) every mth and that's still not sufficient to what other men with similar sized tanks. Tobago water that's fine. but nothing in the gulf. You ever realize they always warn people about eating fish and shellfish in the point lisas area???.
The ball is in your court though......... good luck with the build. :mrgreen:

Chriztoph3r
Street 2NR

Postby Chriztoph3r » March 14th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Hmmm... Point taken... While I start getting stuff put together I'll letting you guys know. I'm still trying to finish read the entire thread. Great stuff but it's alot.

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 14th, 2015, 9:00 pm

We all here to help so no scene..............

Chriztoph3r
Street 2NR

Postby Chriztoph3r » March 14th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Well thus iv got the tank with a 25g for the sump. I already drilled the main tank with a 1 and half inch hole and over flow box. This month I'm ordering the bulkhead, power heads and skimmer. I'm gonna do a Diy led lighting system.you have any advice so far for me

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 14th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Go in any hardware and buy a 400gal bulk head (think that's 1 1/2").
just run seals on either side and also silicone and yuh good.
What skimmer and powerheads yuh had in mind......lots of good brands. Lots of different prices. Also I don't know your budget.
in LED's, 1 watt will work good for FOWLR, for reef, go with the 3 watt.

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 14th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Hey guys bought a yellow tang and a cleaner shrimp from raj today... took the time to drip acclimatize them... they doing well so far... the shrimp im Worried about... I tested the salinity n it was a bit lower than mine by about a .002 I think I cant remember... 2 1/2 hrs of drip drip drip... 1 bout every second... I hope I did it right

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 14th, 2015, 9:36 pm

What you using to test your water........................ a plastic hydrometer or refractometer

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 14th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Plastic n glass refravtomitor... my test kit havent reached yet ether... the snow storm last week delayed shipping...

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 14th, 2015, 9:50 pm

the plastic ones are never accurate and does not compensate for temperature. the refractometer does and it can be calibrated. plastic one cant be calibrated

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 14th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Ok kool... id add it to my cart

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 15th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Hey guys question on live rock... so I was up toco today and I saw a guy picking up the dead corals n rocks... is that safe to put into a tank?

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 15th, 2015, 7:48 pm

yeah, once it white and dried out. I usually soak it in fresh water for about 2 days then put it in the sun for another day or 2.....................then it good to go

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 15th, 2015, 7:58 pm

The live rocks is a little tricky. Could get a lot of unwanted pests if not quarantined properly for a few weeks. Mantis shrimp will kill all your fish, shrimp and crabs and wreak havoc in your tank. 4 yrs ago I had one that killed a couple thousand $$$$ worth of fish and shrimp in a few days. (he had a nice all inclusive). Had to take out 300lbs of live rock just to get him out. I know someone who took some live rock from toco and just before he was going to put it in his tank, something moved. He decided to fresh water dip it just in case. He got a few worms of varyin sizes.......12- 20" long. Just be careful.

greenlime100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby greenlime100 » March 15th, 2015, 10:02 pm

When I changed over from my old tank... I even took out 2 rocks that has aiptasia and algae on it and it's probably been two weeks now it's in the sun and rain. Before I place it back into the tank I'll definitely leave it in some freshwater for a couple days to to make sure it's completely dried and dead.

As Honda suggested with the 2 days sunlight and 2 days freshwater soak... That's usually good enough.

I also have a couple rocks I got from the shore in my tank and I have no problem.. Just cure it properly and all should be good.

cck2
Street 2NR

Postby cck2 » March 15th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Hi now start a salt water aquarium nothing big a 2 ft by 2ft cube i have 2 clown fish and a yellow tail damsel how much more fishes can i put in the tank i know they will have to be small fishes could i get some ideas on fishes to put in thanks
build both of them in the pictures below and in the process of building a 6 ft by 3 f by 2 ft tall for my arowana pacu and endlicheri bichir
Attachments
20150315_230611.jpg
20150315_230700.jpg
20150315_230541.jpg
20150315_230428.jpg
20150315_230416.jpg

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 15th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Well first thing you have to get is some more live rock to maintain the more fish. Prior to that you have to get rid of that damsel. Anything you put in big or small will see hell. Damsels are VERY territorial. With the little live rock/ hiding space, anywhere and everywhere is his. He will kill them. You can add about 4-5 blue/green chromis, 1 small pygmy angel, 1 small wrasse, 1 or 2 fire fish or even 2-3 small pajama cardinals. fish like that. No kinda tangs, puffers, large angels, mandarin (you don't have enough live rock to sustain one), triggers or other clowns

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 21st, 2015, 5:14 pm

Hey guys im having problems with my new tank... redish algae... what can I do? Its quickly taking over my tank

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 21st, 2015, 6:27 pm

kyhamil wrote:Hey guys im having problems with my new tank... redish algae... what can I do? Its quickly taking over my tank

Its called cyano bacteria.
Cyano bacteria is called by many things........
* poor water circulation........... how much powerheads you have and whats the volume
* insufficient water changes........... How much volume you change and how often
* overfeeding (both regular food or other liquid products) what foods or products you add
* high nitrates and phosphates. What are your readings
* water quality. how clean is your water being used. Is the water coming out your RO/DI unit reading "0" with your TDS. What color is your DI resin

Go by Raj and buy something called CHEMICLEAN. WORKS LIKE A CHARM
Last edited by HondaB20B on March 21st, 2015, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 21st, 2015, 6:39 pm

Ok so its a new tank... so haven't done a water change yet... only started seeing the red stuff this week... and I have 2 power heads, a 1000gph return flow thats down to about bkut 7-800 due to hieght n bends, and a hang on the back filter just for flow...

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 21st, 2015, 7:13 pm

What size powerheads in what size tank

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 21st, 2015, 7:26 pm

1 jeabo 25 or 40 wave maker i cant remember i think its the 40 and 1-450gph power head

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 21st, 2015, 7:28 pm

ok..............whats ALL the products you add to your tank. food or liquid additive

you still aint answer all the key questions in red

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 21st, 2015, 8:29 pm

Sorry , its a 36x18x24tall... only liquid I added was the biological thing I got from raj... and feed in the mornings less than a pinch of fd... but I can still be over feeding

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 21st, 2015, 9:04 pm

Nah, that wont cause it............ is your powerheads angled up or down.
You can either add another powerhead that pushes more GPH or change the 450gph. Lots of people figure that fishes cant swim with high water flow. My fish swim directly in front my MP40's with ease. You can run some Korallias - 1500gph. I recently bought 2 for my tank

kyhamil
Sweet on this forum

Postby kyhamil » March 21st, 2015, 9:59 pm

Ok id try that... but is there anything else I can do to try to eliminate it?

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » March 21st, 2015, 10:06 pm

kyhamil wrote:Ok id try that... but is there anything else I can do to try to eliminate it?

LOL.................... you really aint read what I said to go and get.
And you still aint answer all the questions. Cyano is caused my many things........ it could e one or all

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”