TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Which residential water pump to buy?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Which residential water pump to buy?

Postby sharkman121 » February 15th, 2013, 12:30 am

post here when u get a price on the goulds in modern electrical

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » February 15th, 2013, 12:05 pm

blitz83 wrote:Got these prices recently at General Electrical on Pasea Main Road, Tunapuna-

1/2 HP Gould (verified US made Goulds) with Wellxtrol 2 Gal Tank- $2450.00 + VAT

1/2 HP Pentax Pressure tank- 1350.00 + VAT
3/4 HP Pentax- Pressure Tank- $1600.00 + VAT

1/2 HP Pentax Smarthead- $1365.00 + VAT

1 YR Warranty

I didn't get through to Modern Electrical yet (their phone service sucks A$$!!) but other than Ramlagans in couva, the above prices seem to be the best. Do you have a phone number for them?

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » February 15th, 2013, 12:40 pm

airuma wrote:
blitz83 wrote:Got these prices recently at General Electrical on Pasea Main Road, Tunapuna-

1/2 HP Gould (verified US made Goulds) with Wellxtrol 2 Gal Tank- $2450.00 + VAT

1 YR Warranty

I didn't get through to Modern Electrical yet (their phone service sucks A$$!!) but other than Ramlagans in couva, the above prices seem to be the best. Do you have a phone number for them?

645-1874
222-3983

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » February 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

anybody still sells DAB pumps? have one going 16yrs now, only ever serviced once and I need another. hearing good things about gould, but already have good experience with DAB.

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » February 15th, 2013, 2:07 pm

I suspect most persons who have reported good performance for more than 10 years from brands with the exception of Goulds have properly designed plumbing systems. Meaning flow and user rates are matched well with the electrical supply , hp and pressure tank of the pump.

Some here have suggested tank less , unless you're plan to be mobile or its a temporary endeavor get a tank a medium to big tank. As crazy has said the bigger the tank the better. It decreases the pump starts and therefore adds to the life of the pump .

You can also try multiple tanks depending on your requirements , just make sure the system design pulls from all tanks .

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 15th, 2013, 2:30 pm

ghostbusters wrote:anybody still sells DAB pumps? have one going 16yrs now, only ever serviced once and I need another. hearing good things about gould, but already have good experience with DAB.

William H Scott used to sell. But soon Century Eslon/EIL will start supplying the market with DAB.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » February 15th, 2013, 3:00 pm

crazybalhead wrote:goulds with a wellxpro pressure tank, as big as you can fit/afford.

Talk done.

Voltage issue Solves by chance?

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » February 15th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Rooki3 wrote:try a walbro 255lph or a bosch if u cud afford it.

Rory

R.Eng

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: clearly you are bogus where is the MAPE

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » February 15th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Rainman wrote:and what wrong with the mexican goulds? They work doubly hard, does the work that the privileged American goulds won't do, contributes positively to your household, maintenance? it's cheap just buy a new one when one doesn't show up to work because he had to go his cousin ramon's birthday party.

mexican goulds will last at MOST 15 years
then they have a quincinera and decide they dont wanna work no more

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » February 15th, 2013, 4:55 pm

wheelbarrow wrote:
ghostbusters wrote:anybody still sells DAB pumps? have one going 16yrs now, only ever serviced once and I need another. hearing good things about gould, but already have good experience with DAB.

William H Scott used to sell. But soon Century Eslon/EIL will start supplying the market with DAB.

nice.thanks.

playerskrew
Riding on 17's

Postby playerskrew » February 15th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Anybody have a diagram how to bypass a smarthead and install a pressure tank on a pentax pump ???

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 15th, 2013, 7:33 pm

playerskrew wrote:Anybody have a diagram how to bypass a smarthead and install a pressure tank on a pentax pump ???

No diagram but,
Obviously disconnect wires and and unscrew smarthead from pump.
Connect pressure tank and plumbing.
Connect FSG 9 pressure switch unto pump. There's a screw on the side of the pump for this.
Take rhino cable from motor of pump and place on two inner screws of pressure switch. Take ur incoming power and connect ur neutral unto the screw next to the blue wire from the pump motor.
Now that you dont have a smarthead ur pump won't know when ur water tank has no water so you're goin to have to buy a float switch and wire into the system.
Take the "hot" wire from your incoming power from your plug oulet and connect to the brown wire you will find on the float switch.
Then take the black wire and from the float switch and connect that to the remaining screw on your pressure switch.
Then your basically your done...
If you un sure about doing this get someone with experience to do eet.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 31st, 2013, 1:31 pm

anyone know where sells flotec line of pumps locally?
looking for FP5182

2HP

Mobile-Authority
Ricer

Postby Mobile-Authority » March 31st, 2013, 5:53 pm

i can supply Pentax pumps..
ull just need sum1 to install it..
PM with model for pricing

ado15mk3
Trinituner Peong

Postby ado15mk3 » March 31st, 2013, 8:42 pm

playerskrew wrote:Anybody have a diagram how to bypass a smarthead and install a pressure tank on a pentax pump ???

question, why bypass/get rid of the smarthead?

sk1111
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sk1111 » April 5th, 2013, 8:32 am

[quote="blitz83"]Got these prices recently at General Electrical on Pasea Main Road, Tunapuna-

1 YR Warranty[/quote]

anyone have a number for them, I checked the directory and 6411 to no avail

thanks

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » April 28th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Have a pentax smart head water pump that not coming on and when it does no added presure are obtained in the lines. Before I buy a replacement pump any suggestions?

Rooki3
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rooki3 » April 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » April 28th, 2013, 10:11 pm

nemisis wrote:Have a pentax smart head water pump that not coming on and when it does no added presure are obtained in the lines. Before I buy a replacement pump any suggestions?

Impeller could be clogged or insufficient water coming into the pump.
The smart head shuts down because of both.
Check water flow to pump or if it isn't that take a 13mm open the 4 bolts at the middle of the pump and check the impeller if it's clogged.
Careful with the rubber around that front casing when you opening it up.
Or yuh could call somebody who knows what to do.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » April 29th, 2013, 4:16 am

wheelbarrow wrote:

No diagram but,
Obviously disconnect wires and and unscrew smarthead from pump.
Connect pressure tank and plumbing.
Connect FSG 9 pressure switch unto pump. There's a screw on the side of the pump for this.
Take rhino cable from motor of pump and place on two inner screws of pressure switch. Take ur incoming power and connect ur neutral unto the screw next to the blue wire from the pump motor.
Now that you dont have a smarthead ur pump won't know when ur water tank has no water so you're goin to have to buy a float switch and wire into the system.
Take the "hot" wire from your incoming power from your plug oulet and connect to the brown wire you will find on the float switch.
Then take the black wire and from the float switch and connect that to the remaining screw on your pressure switch.
Then your basically your done...
If you un sure about doing this get someone with experience to do eet.

was about to ask the same question that playersskrew asked, great info wheelbarrow,

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 29th, 2013, 9:33 am

Rooki3 wrote:Image

Can I buy this with the red one only and get a discount?

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » April 30th, 2013, 10:53 am

wheelbarrow wrote:
nemisis wrote:Have a pentax smart head water pump that not coming on and when it does no added presure are obtained in the lines. Before I buy a replacement pump any suggestions?

Impeller could be clogged or insufficient water coming into the pump.
The smart head shuts down because of both.
Check water flow to pump or if it isn't that take a 13mm open the 4 bolts at the middle of the pump and check the impeller if it's clogged.
Careful with the rubber around that front casing when you opening it up.
Or yuh could call somebody who knows what to do.
good call

bransam
Riding on 13's

Postby bransam » June 2nd, 2013, 9:10 pm

how is the pentax water pump

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » June 24th, 2013, 6:58 pm

bransam wrote:how is the pentax water pump

Pentax doesnt give trouble,have had one for past 14 yrs or so without a problem,have changed the tank twice in its lifespan and the switch about 3 times.Eva so often like every yr i add air to the bladder in the tank.

My question now,same 3/4 pentax pump started sticking or dropping pressure just so espically when i bathing,steups,looked at the switch and realise contacts where bad and changed out the switch.
It worked for bout a hr or 2 and now it wont prime at all.

I took out up pressure switch, pressure valve and the other two bolts on pump and cleaned them out and let water run tru the pump to wash out old sediment. Plugged in pump and water was spraying out all ports at high pressure. Re assembled evrything, plugged back on and no pressure to pump, no pressure in pipe, pump is just constantly running without building up pressure.

Can any one can assist? Is the tank water logged or is the balder burst(even though it does sound like it has water it in) or is it an internal problem with the pump?

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » July 8th, 2013, 11:48 am

Alright fellas after getting fustrated with my pentax pump that has been in the family over 14 yrs that wouldnt prime. I decided that this old bastard should at least give me a next yr and also wanted to find out what was cazing the problem so i decided to open it up my self.
Excuse me for any wrong names called on the parts as i am not a experienced pump expert, just research and a lot of google images helped,lol.
Do this at your own risk as i wont be held responsible for any problem you encounter.
I removed pressure tank to se if the bladder had burst,after releasing all the air from tank,i realised there was no water in the tank and the bladder was good.Went back to gas station and put back bout 28psi into it,as tank came with 2bars (1bar=14 psi)

After realizing this was not the problem i cut off the lines going to and from the pump
Loosed the four 13" bolts that attaches the pump to the base
Three of them came out with a lil help of wd-40 the las was was rotten and i had to use a hack saw to cut open the forth one, after prying open the pump a lil bit
Be care full when opening the pump as there is a round rubber gasket that sits in between the two halves of the pump
From the image the left bottom corner of the pump you can see where the bolt was cut off.
CAM00070.jpg

The hole in the center of the diffuser is what brings water into the pump( it looks blackish/brown but it actually a white plastic)
The impeller seen in the pic below sits inside the diffuser and this is what was clogged with silt and some rotten off pieces from cast iron.(think this is what was causing the pump not to prime/push water put at high pressure)
I must say after all this time the impeller still turned and spinned with easy by hand,i cudnt believe it.
CAM00073.jpg

After cleaning that, i removed switch, pressure gauge and the other 2 19" bolts and cleaned out jets properly with flat head screw driver and alot of water.
Stuff i thought was part of the pump was really silt and rust that got hard...14 yrs worth

CAM00072.jpg

CAM00071.jpg

CAM00074.jpg

After all was done,i assembled back tank, switch, gauge, bolts, re threaded parts, re gluded fittings and used pvc collars to the inlet and outlet of pump so i wudnt have to cut any more fixtures.
Duh forget the rubber gasket caz i did,lol.
Turn my old beyotch back on and she working. Dont think i ll get much more life out of her as the fan and the bearings are making a lil hissing noise now. That one is defiantly for a professional.
Just a DIY for any one who wants to try. As for now i looking to put down money on a new pump
Cant complain with pentax,i think it served well past its time.

InsanityReigns
3NE 2NR for life

Postby InsanityReigns » July 8th, 2013, 11:54 am

Have a 1/2hp Pentax pump with the smart head going on 7 years now and no probs.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » July 8th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Bearings should be an easy fix. In any event, bad bearings can last years, just with progressively worse noise.

I've had a Pentax transfer pump submerged in water then buried in the resultant silt and still work fine after cleaning. I still use that pump daily.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 8th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I think that happen to mines.

minipresident
Sweet on this forum

Postby minipresident » July 8th, 2013, 12:36 pm

We have had a Pentax 3/4hp with tank for, five years now . works well but MAN IS IT LOUD!!! All my neighbors must know we using water ...lol... Take a piss in the night and flush everybody know :)
Spoke to a technician at rotoplastic/water-source who is the distributor for Pentax who said that the cast iron impeller pumps like mine are naturally very loud and i should have invested in the stainless steel impeller pump which is most quiet. Thing is, when i bought it i was told what i bought was the best :?

Oh and we did all the troubleshooting: check if pressure in the tank was accurate, bled off the line to ensure no air etc. and the bugger still So LouD!

minipresident
Sweet on this forum

Postby minipresident » July 8th, 2013, 12:44 pm

ghostbusters,... how quiet is the DAB pump? I have heard that its supposed to be one of the quietest operating pumps on the market. Oh and as to where sells it,... i have seen DAB @ Bhagwansings.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”