Forums

Windows 10

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Windows 10

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 3rd, 2016, 1:39 pm

So if I have to put in a new HDD in my PC or heck even upgrade the CPU will I need to re enter my windows 10 key? if so how do I find it? I upgraded from a legit windows 7 key

I assume I won't ever have to since I have a Crucial aka Micron brand SSD which I will assume should last atleast 15 years or more. Modern CPUs are pretty much matured now so a i7 today can last 15 years easily due to maturity of the technology. I also have a expensive ASUS mainboard with rated 20 year lifespan

Same way a quad core Intel from 2007 still run all current games overclocked and thats like 9 years old and it wasn't even mature back then as we have today hence why skylake is like only 5% faster than Haswell.

TheOwnerPO
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TheOwnerPO » September 5th, 2016, 12:07 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Why do people buy call of duty every year even though its still the same COD 4 with a new paint job?

I don't get it people keep buying COD 16 and Madden 16 infact the number has reached so high we are at COD Infinity now. Anyways only reason I got windows 10 was for Killer Instinct. Was well worth it quite honestly I might probably get Gears of War 4 there is no point in owning a Xbox One anymore.

Cuz everone will migrate to those servers so to keep up and close contacts with their friends they upgrade :?

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » September 5th, 2016, 3:22 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:So if I have to put in a new HDD in my PC or heck even upgrade the CPU will I need to re enter my windows 10 key? if so how do I find it? I upgraded from a legit windows 7 key...

As soon as you log into your Microsoft account it'll automatically reactivate. Just skip the "Enter Windows 10 key" part during installation.

The key is tied to your network card AFAIKCMIIW so even changing the processor should be ok.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 5th, 2016, 4:19 am

DTAC wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:So if I have to put in a new HDD in my PC or heck even upgrade the CPU will I need to re enter my windows 10 key? if so how do I find it? I upgraded from a legit windows 7 key...

As soon as you log into your Microsoft account it'll automatically reactivate. Just skip the "Enter Windows 10 key" part during installation.

The key is tied to your network card AFAIKCMIIW so even changing the processor should be ok.

Thanks for clearing that up so I know for future upgrade if there is a future upgrade that is. Thus far MKXL and Street Fighter 5 still run perfect in dual core from 8 years ago. At this rate maybe in 10 years I will swap in an i7

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 6th, 2016, 3:51 pm

DTAC wrote:

no it isnt.... :?

the activation is tied to the machine but how it works is Microsoft collects hardware info about your pc.
BIOS firmware and its serial number (from the motherboard) hard drive and its firmware and serial number processor ID and serial # along with your network cards info...this may include the cards MAC address.

it puts all this info together generates a unique ID and ties the product key to that.
sometimes changing one or two odd pieces of hardware wont do anything but if you change major components you will - in most cases - have to reactivate.

if you wish to reuse your windows 7 key on another machine the first machine must first be "decommissioned" so to speak - ie disassociate the key from the pc. then be able to use it on another pc. same holds for newer version of windows

go google "slmgr /upk"

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » September 10th, 2016, 2:22 pm

My windows 10 updated last night. Like the new notification area and "start menu"

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » September 15th, 2016, 9:08 am

the anniversary update cleaned things up nicely indeed...

Miguel000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Miguel000 » September 16th, 2016, 8:50 pm

full of spyware but it moving fast though :lol:

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » September 16th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Windows 10 booting real slow all of a sudden for me. And is a ssd i running, from about a minute to like 3 or more

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 16th, 2016, 11:09 pm

hustla_ambition101 wrote:Windows 10 booting real slow all of a sudden for me. And is a ssd i running, from about a minute to like 3 or more

i woulda say run the disk derangement tool but its an SSD so dat makes no sense.. check the startup files and see whats starting up with windows....

MarioIno
Riding on 13's

Postby MarioIno » September 17th, 2016, 11:54 pm

Be careful installing W10 on older machines people. Had a few clients call about "slow" systems.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 19th, 2016, 7:29 am

MarioIno wrote:Be careful installing W10 on older machines people. Had a few clients call about "slow" systems.

theres a difference between basic requirements for an operating system and recommended specifications for the operating system....

note i said operating system eah.. not operating system and applications...as you load applications the system requirements increase - as youre now asking the operating system to host and run an app....you only catered to the hardware requirements of the O.S alone - not O.S and apps.

simply put....the more apps you load - the "slower" the system will seem to respond..you can try upgrading RAM / processor to give a bit more "breathing room"....and see if that helps.

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » November 24th, 2016, 5:29 pm

I want to know if I purchase a laptop in trinidad, would I be able to get an extended warranty?
Can anyone help me out ?

Jade_Inc.
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Postby Jade_Inc. » November 24th, 2016, 8:59 pm

ryandtrini wrote:I want to know if I purchase a laptop in trinidad, would I be able to get an extended warranty?
Can anyone help me out ?

Courts for sure gives extended warranty... I think "loprofile" (can't remember how to spell it) on tuner gives also..

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » November 24th, 2016, 9:26 pm

thanks, will look into it.

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » November 25th, 2016, 6:21 am

MarioIno wrote:Be careful installing W10 on older machines people. Had a few clients call about "slow" systems.

old pentiums single core, <4gb ram-win xp x86
dual core, < 4gb ram - win 7 x86...........>4gb- win7 or win 10 x64
> 2 cores, > 4gb ram - win 10 x64

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » November 26th, 2016, 11:17 am

Is there a thread in tuner that deals with hardware/software issues on computers?

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » December 4th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Has anyone tried installing Skype for desktop on Windows 10 and unable to connect? This is a problem I am yet to find a solution for. I have tried some things to no avail.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 4th, 2016, 10:43 pm

ryandtrini wrote:Has anyone tried installing Skype for desktop on Windows 10 and unable to connect? This is a problem I am yet to find a solution for. I have tried some things to no avail.

seems to be working fine with me :-O

what problems u getting?

---anyone running Windows 10 on a corporate domain? its a pain in the ass from my experience. :evil:

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » December 4th, 2016, 10:46 pm

ryandtrini wrote:Has anyone tried installing Skype for desktop on Windows 10 and unable to connect? This is a problem I am yet to find a solution for. I have tried some things to no avail.

would help if you can say what the error is or at what stage u getting the error ??
is it while trying to download the live stub installer ??
is it while trying to connect ?
is your anti virus set to allow exceptions - ie allow Skype to connect ?
any third party programs running that can take control of Skype ??

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » December 4th, 2016, 10:55 pm

sorry. downloaded and installed without problems. connecting is where the issue is. It hangs and never connects. This seems to be a frequent issue as I have seen numerous posts about it online. The system in question was running win 8.1 pro with no skype issues but when upgraded to win10 this issue arose.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » December 5th, 2016, 11:07 am

stev wrote:

---anyone running Windows 10 on a corporate domain? its a pain in the ass from my experience. :evil:

me...

and nope... all's well thus far... i have it on 4 users primary machines...

and i have my secondary machine on insider fast

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 5th, 2016, 11:26 am

original_lollybob wrote:
stev wrote:

me...

i can't get it to take group policy properly.....it works sometimes :/

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » December 5th, 2016, 11:47 am

stev wrote:
original_lollybob wrote:
stev wrote:

me...

I use win10 on my sysadmin machine in a medium to large corporate network. Both user and computer policies work fine. You might want to do some basic group policy troubleshooting to see what is the cause of your issues.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 5th, 2016, 12:23 pm

^^^it works sometimes.

something simple as a mapped drive policy never works on the 1st few tries. lol it just starts working randomly.

11 out of the 27 clients work flawlessly....all have the same build more or less.

...one of these days i'll try to figure out whats going on. lol

also checkpoint endpoint protection does not work properly....even if Windows defender is completely off....i think it's more of a checkpoint thing.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » December 5th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Strange. Many of our checkpoint blades (compliance, media encryption, firewall, full disk encryption and vpn) work flawlessly. We don't use windows defender but Symantec Endpoint also behaves itself.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » December 5th, 2016, 1:42 pm

stev wrote:
original_lollybob wrote:
stev wrote:

me...

ah yes... this is indeed tru... it can be quite random with some gp features... wallpaper for example... refuses to be set

but gp for printers works...

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » December 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm

ryandtrini wrote:sorry. downloaded and installed without problems. connecting is where the issue is. It hangs and never connects. This seems to be a frequent issue as I have seen numerous posts about it online. The system in question was running win 8.1 pro with no skype issues but when upgraded to win10 this issue arose.

how was the update to windows 10 done..?? via the live install online or you burned it off to a DVD and installed from that ...??

the latest version of Skype is 7.30.64.150

after you start Skype don't sign in - instead click on help then click on about skype. it should tell you that version number listed above - if not click on help and then select check for updates...

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » December 5th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Have the latest version and I installed from USB.

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » December 5th, 2016, 10:22 pm

skylinechild wrote:
ryandtrini wrote:sorry. downloaded and installed without problems. connecting is where the issue is. It hangs and never connects. This seems to be a frequent issue as I have seen numerous posts about it online. The system in question was running win 8.1 pro with no skype issues but when upgraded to win10 this issue arose.

how was the update to windows 10 done..?? via the live install online or you burned it off to a DVD and installed from that ...??

the latest version of Skype is 7.30.64.150

after you start Skype don't sign in - instead click on help then click on about skype. it should tell you that version number listed above - if not click on help and then select check for updates...

Installed from USB and also have the latest Skype version.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”