Forums

BBQ question to coal or not to coal

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: BBQ question to coal or not to coal

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 7:22 am

Went pricesmart yesterday and they dont have any bbq grills. Hadda check peakes today.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 28th, 2019, 7:33 am

Summer sale, all musbe sell out

Phone Surgeon wrote:Went pricesmart yesterday and they dont have any bbq grills. Hadda check peakes today.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 28th, 2019, 7:43 am

them adjustable head regulators are safest when used in open burners like ring burners and you can see the flame.

webers are porcelain coated, not painted. Like a long time posey.

a padna buy a weber from peakes the other day, nice small one
not the big hood ones ppl like as showpiece

I dont think there is a weber dealer locally anymore, it used to be Target Trading.

You should work out if cheaper to bring via seabox(2-3weeks)

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 9:35 am

Need it for sunday lol

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 28th, 2019, 9:36 am

Bhagwansingh
Charbroil fuh it
Phone Surgeon wrote:Need it for sunday lol

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » August 28th, 2019, 9:47 am

out of curiosity how much for a cast iron/metal coal pot going for at the moment and where is a good place to get one?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 28th, 2019, 10:49 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Need it for sunday lol
Peake's is real dig out eye at those prices. Go there as a last resort or call first to confirm.

Check the home store place in C3. Some time ago I saw some Weber kettle grills so they may still have.

Bhagwansingh's also sells Grill Mark grills. My wife bought me one about 6 years ago and while it's not used much, as I have another grill, it cooks good and is still in good condition (but that's cause I take care of it). I'd recommend that as well.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 10:54 am

what yall think about this from courts

car broil.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 28th, 2019, 11:00 am

Boy tbh, and it's just me, as other ppl mileage varies, I find the char broil grills real thin and flimsy and they rotten away real fast. Not to mention I have seen them warp with the heat and then cyah close and seal well.

And if they taking weather, well that's another story.

Even if you read online, you'll see many negatives about char broil grills, granted it's from serious grillers.

The price of that alone will tell you...

But, other tuners may have good experiences with them so hear what they have to say.

I forgot to mention, call Lewis appliances and some of those other appliance stores. You may get lucky.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 28th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Peakes have Weber stock right now
A padna buy one last week
Weber will last long

As a wedding present you need to decide if Weber or charbroil

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Home store has Westinghouse brand. 4000 for a 4 burner

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 28th, 2019, 1:32 pm

My charbroil is cast and as was mentioned, cleaned regularly to prevent build up of grease and heat which will cause fatigue and wear and eventual demise. Ten year plus and quite honestly apart from grill showing wear it still looks very new.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Bhagwansingh have some nice 4 burners for 2600 to 3k. Thermos brand..honestly if they get 3 years out of it that's enough

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 28th, 2019, 3:02 pm

carluva wrote:
adnj wrote:
carluva wrote:The reality is that converting from propane to lpg can be done by switching regulator head and tank, yes. However, that is not the safest option and will not burn the lpg efficiently to give the highest available btu., ...

If you put a LPG on a propane burner, there will be combustion, but not efficient combustion and therefore you will not get the full BTUs that LPG has to offer. So you may either get lower heat output or you'll waste fuel to get the BTUs.

You may be referencing a natural gas to LPG conversion. The air/fuel ratio for NG requires a different orifice than LPG. NG has lower energy density than LPG, IIRC.

Also, propane is LPG. LPG may be a blend of propane, butane, etc., but there isn't much difference between LPG and propane when burned in a typical gas-fueled appliance.

With respect to converting from the US screw-on regulator to the local snap-on regulator, pugboy was right: simply change the tank, regulator and hose. You may need a barbed fitting screwed into the grill to make the hose connection.

The flip switch snap on regulator is low pressure but may work for many situations. I don't remember the exact pressure but I believe it is regulated at about 2 psi.

The rotary knob regulator is high pressure and goes from 0 to 20 psi, or even 40 psi or more, depending on which one you buy. Your biggest risk with a high pressure regulator is a leak from using the wrong hose or having poor connections on the hose.

Just match the regulator pressure to the rated pressure of the regulator that you are replacing.
Natural gas will require a conversion as well.

You are spot on that the LPG we know in Trinidad is a propane-butane mix, but still, the same burner conversion should be done for safe and efficient operation of the grill. I BBQ on coal by have seen a grill converted specifically for LPG and the difference was noticeable and measurable (some of us nerds connected and measured pressure, flow and temperature and a bigger nerd calculated the efficiency).

But, as I said, many people simply switch regulator head and they cooking with the red tank. There is a risk of doing this, but many people either don't know or don't care or are informed poorly by suppliers and merchants. Buttttt.... You did offer a good alternative piece of advice and that is to match pressures of the regulators. This goes a long way to help the conversion as the user can tweak and throttle pressures to get a good burn.

I can't agree that a burner change would make a difference in combustion efficiency. What I can say is that butane will not vaporize as easily as propane as you near 0°C.

Liquid propane is used in lieu of a liquid propane/butane mix wherever the temperatures could drop below freezing.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 28th, 2019, 3:18 pm

ended up buying the one in bhags for 3k

the grill gonna be next to a salt water pool and they not really gonna maintain it much but i`m sure it gonna get used every weekend

so if it last a 2-3 years i happy with that

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Ok, good to know. Not here to have a debate. Rather , I was just sharing some advice based on real life experiences.
adnj wrote:
carluva wrote:
adnj wrote:
carluva wrote:The reality is that converting from propane to lpg can be done by switching regulator head and tank, yes. However, that is not the safest option and will not burn the lpg efficiently to give the highest available btu., ...

If you put a LPG on a propane burner, there will be combustion, but not efficient combustion and therefore you will not get the full BTUs that LPG has to offer. So you may either get lower heat output or you'll waste fuel to get the BTUs.

You may be referencing a natural gas to LPG conversion. The air/fuel ratio for NG requires a different orifice than LPG. NG has lower energy density than LPG, IIRC.

Also, propane is LPG. LPG may be a blend of propane, butane, etc., but there isn't much difference between LPG and propane when burned in a typical gas-fueled appliance.

With respect to converting from the US screw-on regulator to the local snap-on regulator, pugboy was right: simply change the tank, regulator and hose. You may need a barbed fitting screwed into the grill to make the hose connection.

The flip switch snap on regulator is low pressure but may work for many situations. I don't remember the exact pressure but I believe it is regulated at about 2 psi.

The rotary knob regulator is high pressure and goes from 0 to 20 psi, or even 40 psi or more, depending on which one you buy. Your biggest risk with a high pressure regulator is a leak from using the wrong hose or having poor connections on the hose.

Just match the regulator pressure to the rated pressure of the regulator that you are replacing.
Natural gas will require a conversion as well.

You are spot on that the LPG we know in Trinidad is a propane-butane mix, but still, the same burner conversion should be done for safe and efficient operation of the grill. I BBQ on coal by have seen a grill converted specifically for LPG and the difference was noticeable and measurable (some of us nerds connected and measured pressure, flow and temperature and a bigger nerd calculated the efficiency).

But, as I said, many people simply switch regulator head and they cooking with the red tank. There is a risk of doing this, but many people either don't know or don't care or are informed poorly by suppliers and merchants. Buttttt.... You did offer a good alternative piece of advice and that is to match pressures of the regulators. This goes a long way to help the conversion as the user can tweak and throttle pressures to get a good burn.

I can't agree that a burner change would make a difference in combustion efficiency. What I can say is that butane will not vaporize as easily as propane as you near 0°C.

Liquid propane is used in lieu of a liquid propane/butane mix wherever the temperatures could drop below freezing.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I wish I had a friend like you. Glad you gt.
Phone Surgeon wrote:ended up buying the one in bhags for 3k

the grill gonna be next to a salt water pool and they not really gonna maintain it much but i`m sure it gonna get used every weekend

so if it last a 2-3 years i happy with that

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 28th, 2019, 5:16 pm

https://www.charbroil.com

Parts are always available online

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 10th, 2019, 7:15 am

Bhagwansingh finally got back stocks on the 1lb propane
50 for the coleman (single)
90 for 2 Ace (double)

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Where can I get good , medium to large sized coals to buy in central?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm

price club ...

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 10th, 2019, 9:42 pm

anyonne wanna make their own briquettes?
i have a good amount of charcoal crumbs and all is really needed is to combine with corn flour and water
form the size and let it dry

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Rovin wrote:price club ...
I've seen the small brown bags of charcoal there but I was more referring to the large feed bags.

I used to buy next to Agrilink on the SMR in Cunupia but stopped as once I got wet coals and the second time I used half a bag for a four hour smoke as the coal pieces were small.

solarkh
3NE 2NR for life

Postby solarkh » September 11th, 2019, 5:13 am

Oh geeed
rspann wrote:Mr Chow uses mango wood, tastes kinda nice.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 14th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Mounted it up friday night. Hadda go get an adapter...or just cut off the existing head and run a longer case hose to put a regular gas head on it
20190912_204846.jpeg
20190912_204853.jpeg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 14th, 2019, 3:07 pm

The hose likely not to fit as they are usually a size off the regulator heads of the 20lb regulators

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm

The ones on the green box does work
Cant remember the brand now
But its grey, comes in a green box
The inlet is the smaller size from the regular hose we use here.
pugboy wrote:The hose likely not to fit as they are usually a size off the regulator heads of the 20lb regulators

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 14th, 2019, 3:32 pm

anyone could point me to an adapter on amazon that would work?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 14th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Adapter to do what?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

that would connect to the original propane head that comes with the grill and would then connect to a regular gas hose ?

i was hoping to avoid cutting off the original head. idk

OR failing that, i want to add on a 5-6 feet to the existing hose that connect to a 20lb cylinder

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”