Forums

Flow Internet Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Re: Flow Internet Thread

Postby dredman1 » February 10th, 2016, 10:09 am

instantfrugality wrote:well I upgraded from 15 to 30, i am beginning to regret it, connection issues since I did the upgrade, torrenting files is very slow and sometimes not even possible, connnection keeps dropping all the time, the 15mbs package was performing a lot better, something has gone wrong on flows end, trying to be patient with them. Speedtest.net shows 30 for download and 3 for upload, but other sites show otherwise.
Having issues as well after moving from 15 to 30mb.
Connection seems to drop more often now, and speedtest regularly shows l'm getting 15-20mb, although sometimes I do see the 30mb (not often enough though).

want2liqur
Sweet on this forum

Postby want2liqur » February 10th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Flow really on sheit now oui and everything you call them its either "reset the box" or "they see nothing wrong on their end"... My net speed right now is 0.79mb

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » February 11th, 2016, 11:21 am

some people (not saying u guys in here) are really quick to complain about their service without making sure everything is good on their own end.

eg. my neighbour complaining his service is poor but he's using WIFI on an old Dell Latitute D620 :|

i dont even want to comment on the state of the OS.

i even saw an instance where people complaining about the streaming (sticking at times) yet they running chrome on 512 RAM.

uTorrent users should monitor their resources as well...u can have a powerful machine but torrent clients can choke like crazy sometimes...check out 'killer networking' and overriding disk cache with regards to torrents.

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » February 11th, 2016, 11:43 am

stev wrote:some people (not saying u guys in here) are really quick to complain about their service without making sure everything is good on their own end.

eg. my neighbour complaining his service is poor but he's using WIFI on an old Dell Latitute D620 :|

i dont even want to comment on the state of the OS.

i even saw an instance where people complaining about the streaming (sticking at times) yet they running chrome on 512 RAM.

uTorrent users should monitor their resources as well...u can have a powerful machine but torrent clients can choke like crazy sometimes...check out 'killer networking' and overriding disk cache with regards to torrents.

+1

samureye
Street 2NR

Postby samureye » February 11th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I have a custom built rig with 12gb ram and a MacBook Pro that I literally maxed out everything on.

Why can't I stream twitch at source quality on a 45mbit connection?

What irks me is I used to be able to two upgrades ago.

I'm at my wit's end. As I mentioned, I've removed my own router from
The equation and both wired and wireless I get these buffering issues.

I still feel like I'd be wasting my time to call flow support but maybe I need a modem
Change? Maybe a cable is damaged? I been poking around the modem menu, changing channels. I don't know. Just frustrated and lost.

Oh and even on my phone pages will take a while to load at times. If I switch wifi off and go to 3G there's a noticeable difference in speed.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » February 11th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Can't remember the last time I've seen a 45/3 speed result. More like 15/3, 25/3 the last couple of days & yes it's always the "reset the modem" or "no trouble on our end" 'solutions'. Or call, whatever number number for "prompt" service but then you see people either posting screenshots of 30+ mins calls or saying they've gone through $100 phone cards waiting.

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Question Town and Country

Postby shottah_crew » February 12th, 2016, 10:15 am

In order to activate my upgrade , I was told to reset the box... my FLOW phone hasn't worked since. Only Half the lights on the modem on now. Yay FLOW.

samureye
Street 2NR

Postby samureye » February 12th, 2016, 11:55 am

People who have regular problems - what DNS are you using?

Currently on SmartDNSProxy and was experiencing slow download speeds on PS4. I told the PS4 to use Google DNS and speeds went WAY up.

Going to try testing it with my Twitch streams and see if things get any better. I have tried taking off the DNS to use what Flow provides before and don't recall any difference, but I am going to test Google and see if it makes a big difference.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » February 12th, 2016, 12:15 pm

how could a dns affect download speeds? isnt a dns used to look up addresses ? srs

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » February 12th, 2016, 12:28 pm

How does DNS server affect download speed?
http://superuser.com/questions/1013823/how-does-dns-server-affect-download-speed

Excerpt
"It has some effect, but not that much.
A DNS does nothing more (in this case) than translating an domainname to an IP. They do this really really fast, often under 5ms. Changing to another DNS could be benchmarked to notice a change in timing, but we're talking milliseconds here. The changes for that part will be minimal.

The difference is in where the DNS points to. If one DNS points you to a server on the other side of the planet for a resource, that'll result in a slow download. If the other DNS points you to a server nearby, that'll download a lot faster."

Find the Best DNS Server
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/mobilecomputingbasics/a/Double-Your-Internet-Speed-With-One-Simple-Settings-Change.htm

Several utilities can help you find the best DNS server by running benchmarks testing how fast DNS nameservers respond for your location. GRC's DNS Benchmark is a great tool for Windows and Linux users, and Namebench is a quick and easy tool that runs on Mac, Windows, and Unix.
Here's how to use the free open source Namebench utility (it should work similarly in GRC's DNS Benchmark):

1. First download and install the app.
2. When you first start it up, you'll be asked to enter your current nameserver. You can find this information in several ways: a) On Windows, go to Start > Run > and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) then press Enter. In the new MS-DOS window, type: "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes). Look for the line that says "DNS Servers" and the number beside it for the DNS server address. On a Mac, open a Terminal window by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal and type in "cat" then a space and "/etc/resolv.conf". If you haven't changed your DNS server, most likely it's your ISP's default DNS servers.
3. In Namebench, type in your current nameserver, then click the Start button. In a few minutes a new browser page will open with your benchmarking results: The recommended primary, secondary, and tertiary DNS servers to get a faster internet connection speed than the one you're currently using. You'll see a list of tested DNS servers and how long they took to load webpages. Write down the numbers for your recommended servers.

samureye
Street 2NR

Postby samureye » February 12th, 2016, 3:07 pm

My findings are that the DNS change is making a difference.

I regularly check connection speed on my PS4 as I download things often. It never goes above 10Mpbs.

Decided to google the issue and set the PS4 to use Google DNS. I was downloading a file and immediately saw speeds go up and speedtest jumped up to the double digits.

About to test some Twitch streaming to see if it makes a difference there.

Again, I am just testing and reporting findings. I am willing to say it made a difference on the PS4 though, I mean I NEVER get over 10Mbps on tests and always found it odd. I was in the middle of downloading the Hitman Beta which is 4GB and after changing the DNS the speediest reported speeds closer to my internet connection and the download in progress started going faster.

samureye
Street 2NR

Postby samureye » February 12th, 2016, 3:24 pm

So I was watching Twitch Stream fine, and changed DNS back to the service i pay for, reset router, reactivated - and the video won't play. The chat scrolls, webpages load (after a bit of a delay compared to Google DNS) but twitch video as of now is not loading no matter what quality i choose.

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » February 12th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Ironically, the last time I used a paid DNS service (not UnblockUs), my dropbox and gmail failed to authenticate etc. :lol: I think it was torguard.

and stev, how much time i go tell yuh bout speaking sense in thread :roll: geez.

I actually use speedof.me to do my speed tests since it isn't as hammered as speedtest.net.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » February 12th, 2016, 8:29 pm

ImageUploadedByTriniTuner1455323348.215011.jpg

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » February 12th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Doh make joke

jason1984
Street 2NR

Postby jason1984 » February 13th, 2016, 12:11 am

samureye wrote:So I was watching Twitch Stream fine, and changed DNS back to the service i pay for, reset router, reactivated - and the video won't play. The chat scrolls, webpages load (after a bit of a delay compared to Google DNS) but twitch video as of now is not loading no matter what quality i choose.

The same this is happening to me, the streams are constantly buffering

Abraham2nd
Trinituner Peong

Postby Abraham2nd » February 13th, 2016, 7:54 am

Guys. I got a arris tg862 and I can't get into the GUI interface of the modem I used to connect using 192.168.0.1 but not anymore it just not connecting I wanted to bridge it so it would be only a modem and not a 3-n-1

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » February 13th, 2016, 8:39 am

Abraham2nd wrote:Guys. I got a arris tg862 and I can't get into the GUI interface of the modem I used to connect using 192.168.0.1 but not anymore it just not connecting I wanted to bridge it so it would be only a modem and not a 3-n-1

Bridge mode doesn't work and will lock up your modem..read the guide for the Moca modem on the first page of this thread.

You have to call flow and let them reset the modem from their side.

Abraham2nd
Trinituner Peong

Postby Abraham2nd » February 13th, 2016, 9:44 am

mojosodope wrote:
Abraham2nd wrote:Guys. I got a arris tg862 and I can't get into the GUI interface of the modem I used to connect using 192.168.0.1 but not anymore it just not connecting I wanted to bridge it so it would be only a modem and not a 3-n-1

Bridge mode doesn't work and will lock up your modem..read the guide for the Moca modem on the first page of this thread.

How will it lock up? I've read online it can be done. And. when I call flow no one picks up :( I've gotten lots of money lost on phone cards lol ;/

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 13th, 2016, 10:19 am

not sure if it was answered already but can i use my own modem instead of flows arris modem?
how good is flows arris modem?

ninjabilly
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ninjabilly » February 13th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Nope

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » February 13th, 2016, 3:20 pm

To those with the buffering twitch streams use Tardsplaya to watch the streams.Not sure what's going on with twitch these past 2 weeks but it is getting ridiculous now.

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » February 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Abraham2nd wrote:
mojosodope wrote:

How will it lock up? I've read online it can be done. And. when I call flow no one picks up :( I've gotten lots of money lost on phone cards lol ;/

You know they have a toll free number right if you have a tstt land line. You have to call the Internet technical desk. It will lock up in the sense you won't be able to log in from your end using the IP address. They need to factory reset it from their end.

Yes it can be done but it doesn't work here. What do you need it in bridge mode for exactly ? If you read my step by step guide linked on the first page you'll be able to dmz your router and leave the flow modem routed with nat. This isn't the Moca modem is it? Regardless the arris interface would work the same.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 13th, 2016, 4:38 pm

took the 240mb package and this is all im getting lol

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 13th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Anyone knows if I can get back my 15MB package? is it possible to switch back to that?

3MB seems a bit slow cause like 3 people in my house does be connected to this lol. And well I don't need 30 and I don't want to pay $220. Thats $20 more for something I don't need.

hmm I see that $172 for 15MB massy connection makes real sense now.

Abraham2nd
Trinituner Peong

Postby Abraham2nd » February 13th, 2016, 6:06 pm

mojosodope wrote:
Abraham2nd wrote:
mojosodope wrote:

You know they have a toll free number right if you have a tstt land line. You have to call the Internet technical desk. It will lock up in the sense you won't be able to log in from your end using the IP address. They need to factory reset it from their end.

Yes it can be done but it doesn't work here. What do you need it in bridge mode for exactly ? If you read my step by step guide linked on the first page you'll be able to dmz your router and leave the flow modem routed with nat. This isn't the Moca modem is it? Regardless the arris interface would work the same.

Got no land line here. OK gotcha maybe its locked up ...wanted to bridge it because its keep timing out :( sometimes my WiFi on phone works good tho :/ so I wanted to stop the splitting of the internet and but a router

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » February 13th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Just tell them you want the 15mb package again? I haven't upgraded. Don't see any need to go to 30. It's not like torrents reach 15mb for me and all streaming works fine anyway.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 14th, 2016, 7:40 am

Anyone knno anyone in flow to come and install broadband in bamboo for me? Signed up Thursday and they said Saturday and they never called and when i call 4pm they say technician has stuff to do and they have to rebook me for the 19th....got mad and they say the 18th is closest.....

And im sure for a week lost i still have to pay the normal monthly bill...

shaq090
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby shaq090 » February 14th, 2016, 11:29 am

i wonder if i run a rj45 cord from my house to ED and say its SHAQCOMISP, if he will say its the next best thing since slice bread.......

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » February 14th, 2016, 12:13 pm

:lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”