Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby francis1979 » March 3rd, 2017, 8:57 am

sleek78 wrote:What does an architect bring to the table that a draughtsman doesnt??
Met with both and the draughtsman is charging 5 dollars per square feet.. so if he draws a plan with 3000 feet of house he gets 15000.
The architect on d other hand says he's fee is 7% of d entire projected project cost.. Since our budget is 2mil, his bill is 140gees to come on board.. Isn't that too expensive?? He sent me this..Image

Search it on google too check the responsibility of architect. ( not trying to hit you a low blow; but you would get a better definition than I can provide )

Also speak to your architect and draftsman to see their scope of work for the fees.

In simple terms a draftsman will draw your plan and in some instances obtain the approvals to commence construction. He has no professional training in space-use, lighting design, finishing, etc. What I have found in most instances you get a basic structure with nothing properly positioned leading to variations during construction or renovations later-on as you see your project come to life.

The architect does the drawing of the plans but also positions everything so that it fits perfect in your space this can also be verified with 3D drawings ( usually extra cost). They should include additional details like tile layout, lighting , cupboards , detailed drawing of burglar proofing ,etc. and Obtain approvals to commence construction and create scope of work to obtain quotations. In some cases supervise construction to ensure quality as per plan, project manages and assist with selection of finishes. Once it is a good experienced architect you should have minimum variations and renovations in the future because you forget something.

Both of the items above is proving that you articulate your vision to both individuals.

As an example you every notice some multi million dollar house that just looks like 4 walls and ask the question what the ass they were thinking. And in some instances you look at a house and realize it look properly laid out and flicking good. A next example is lighting which most people get wrong; draftsman place 2 regular lights bulbs. while architect with knowledge of lighting design and use of room may use different types of light fittings, bulb color , brightness to change the feel of the room

The decision lies with you with respect to , complexity ( flat or hill), knowledge of construction , interior design, etc. if you have excellent skills and can handle the finer details of construction use a draftsman

If you know you have no skills or experience go with architect

In addition for $2mm house , I would pay the extra and ensure I get a higher quality product.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby src1983 » March 3rd, 2017, 9:15 am

pugboy wrote:good advice,

also if you ever consider getting a robot vacuum cleaner down the road
they don't go down steps, so flooring where it operates has to be one level.

I have one 2 years now and it is well worth the cost
ppl will complain that they are expensive but when you see how well the clean a floor compared to a human
there is no comparison.

Vouch for this, my apartment had two levels so he runs downstairs during the day while I'm at work

And I carry him up when I get home in the evening for the upper floor, also my furniture is high enough for him to get under

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » March 3rd, 2017, 9:21 am

140g seems like pocket change to some people yes. I cant think of anything to justify that fee.

simplicity16
Street 2NR

Postby simplicity16 » March 3rd, 2017, 9:37 am

Have some bamboo props for sale. 9 feet 10 feet.
Also have pitch pine boxing board.
If interested pm me.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » March 3rd, 2017, 12:29 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:140g seems like pocket change to some people yes. I cant think of anything to justify that fee.

Yes it is a lot of money.

The architect provides a service/ skill which some individuals may require or someone may say I will do it for myself.

It is similar to a building contractor; they provide a service which is also optional .

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby adnj » March 3rd, 2017, 10:54 pm

If you are being charged 7%, the architect isn't taking you seriously. And that's because you didn't know what to ask.

The architect helps you to build your house and not just draw it and get it approved.

You need to get an idea of what you want by looking at plans and photos and actual houses. You have to know who will be your contractor, structural engineer and services engineer. You have to know who will track the construction, verify the work done and how much the payment checks need to be. You need to know how to track costs and write contracts.

You need to know how to create a 24x36 WASA drawing for approval, do load calculations for a T&TEC connection, and know what licensed electrician and sanitary constructor that you will use to sign the forms when you submit.

On a 3000 sq ft/$2m house:

What you will probably spend is about $120k (6%) minimum.

Design $30k (lighting, finishes, doors, and windows)
Drafting $12k
Plumbing design $25k
Electrical design $20k
Civil/structural $25k
Approvals $5k

If you have the architect manage construction or go through a series of design changes then the price goes up from there.

You have probably never built a house but the architect has. And he will charge you for everything that you don't know. That is why some people build a draftsman's house. It's a lot less expensive...

... and it looks that way.

sleek78 wrote:What does an architect bring to the table that a draughtsman doesnt??
Met with both and the draughtsman is charging 5 dollars per square feet.. so if he draws a plan with 3000 feet of house he gets 15000.
The architect on d other hand says he's fee is 7% of d entire projected project cost.. Since our budget is 2mil, his bill is 140gees to come on board.. Isn't that too expensive?? He sent me this..Image

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » March 4th, 2017, 2:37 pm

All, any suggestions for a portable spray paint system, for oil painting, need to paint some steel beams.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm

If they now fabricated and on the ground still, use a roller. If they already erected, buy a Wagner power painter.
Last edited by rspann on March 4th, 2017, 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 4th, 2017, 5:35 pm

rspann wrote:If they now fabricated and on the groung still, use a roller. If they already erected, buy a Wagner power painter.

Ensure that you clean and prime them first. Have enough paint to touch up after, as dings, scrapes etc. will happen during the erection phase.

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » March 4th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Looking to buy 2 height of scaffolding, anyone here selling any used?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 4th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Anand's have them the cheapest. Me, when I counted how much I pay for scaffolding, I made 48 sets. That waste of money cut out .

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » March 4th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Thanks guys, where can I get the wagner locally?
Anands's is where, considering buying my scaffolding.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 4th, 2017, 7:14 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:Thanks guys, where can I get the wagner locally?
Anands's is where, considering buying my scaffolding.

Anands is south side...la Romain by rig restaurant and by mosquito creek

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 4th, 2017, 7:28 pm

How much is the scaffolding? Does it include planks?
I need about 3 or 4 height. Anand is close by me.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » March 4th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Thanks urban.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 4th, 2017, 7:36 pm

nervewrecker wrote:How much is the scaffolding? Does it include planks?
I need about 3 or 4 height. Anand is close by me.

Around $1000 per set (height) includes braces. Anands has metal planks,but I get planks cheap in the sawmills. Paid around $300 for 14 ft .There is also Point Fortin Hardware in Frederick settlement Caroni ,for cheap scaffolding. Aegis Construction and Industrial Rentals had a lot of used scaffolding to sell too.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 4th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Bless. Ill make some calls this week..
Wanna have some on standby. Looking to lock down some jobs in the next few months.

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » March 5th, 2017, 5:18 am

rspann wrote:Anand's have them the cheapest. Me, when I counted how much I pay for scaffolding, I made 48 sets. That waste of money cut out .

Where is Anands? Do you still have a contact for Them?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 5th, 2017, 5:41 am

677 4209

Anand as in anand low price / rig / liv / steele etc etc

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » March 5th, 2017, 7:03 am

What are the optoins locally for recessed lighting? Companies, i mean.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 5th, 2017, 9:03 am

bassotronics wrote:
rspann wrote:Anand's have them the cheapest. Me, when I counted how much I pay for scaffolding, I made 48 sets. That waste of money cut out .

Where is Anands? Do you still have a contact for Them?

South side....La Romain he has his tile store and after the mosquito creek he has his hardware and grocery..

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » March 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm

sleek78 wrote:Apparently building of a residential house is a class 5 category..

There are houses for sale on the market. Check some agents and go see them. Check what you like and don't like. Check cost but remember it includes land. Decide split, 2 level or flat. Then check your draughtsman to design a floor plan. Not worth the money for architect for that size house. Cost per square foot can come down to $450 depending as you can spend $80k or $180k on a kitchen alone. Same as floors, baths. Front door can be $25k or $100k check Bhagwansingh for the latter.

Many persons including draughtsmen have copies of plans of architect designed homes. Also there are books with floor plans that you use as a guide or even order the detailed plans from the company.

Save that $125k for your overruns or niceties. Best to sign a contract or do it yourself if you're not comfortable with a contractor. It's a lot of time and running around to coordinate the project and subcontractors. There's a value to that that most don't consider.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 5th, 2017, 2:40 pm

My boss hired a contractor and i offered him panadol prior to building his house.
Man came back from vaca smiling and had his house completed. Everything up to mark, no headache, no stress, no overspending.

Another coworker recommended that contractor.
I think ill also be hiring that contractor.

sleek78
Ricer

Postby sleek78 » March 5th, 2017, 9:30 pm

nervewrecker wrote:My boss hired a contractor and i offered him panadol prior to building his house.
Man came back from vaca smiling and had his house completed. Everything up to mark, no headache, no stress, no overspending.

Another coworker recommended that contractor.
I think ill also be hiring that contractor.

Which contractor did he use?? It would be nice to know.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 6th, 2017, 10:30 am

Will get the number when i go work this week

TRAE
punchin NOS

Postby TRAE » March 6th, 2017, 12:03 pm

soulya that 120k building an apartment for me to rent out-

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 6th, 2017, 1:10 pm

So yesterday I did a couple site visits on houses and settled on a three bedroom flats in Freeport for 1.450

For those of you who are wondering - these are what the figures look like

RBC
Total home cost - 1.45M
Downpayment - 145k
All fees, legal etc - 57k
Monthly - 24 years - $7566
20 years - $8398
15 years - $ 10,118
Interest rate- 4.7%

It's interesting to note that the legal fees and other payments have nothing to do with the downpayment. Therefore, for a house valued at 1.45M - you have to have at least 200k in the bank to move forward.

Then you still need to furnish.

I'm awaiting Scotia's response

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » March 6th, 2017, 1:31 pm

^^ You would of came out better purchasing land and building. BTW, did the valuation come in at the 1.45mil or was that just the asking price?

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 6th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Well I tend to disagree. The 1.45M was the actual valuation report.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Many people build because they can't get a loan. Instead they just build as they get enough cash.

You don't necessarily do yourself any favors by building yourself. If you have a home inspection and title search, you save the headache and risks of land acquisition and construction. Not to mention the payments that you make while you are building.

$8000 per month for two years is nearly $200k in payments before you move in. And you're still paying to live somewhere else.

Not to mention that a construction loan is at a higher interest rate. If you don't have any experience in home construction, you just might be better off paying a developer or an architect.

You typically need 20% of the price on hand to cover fees, insurance and down payment. Most banks require that you have that money on hand to even get approved for the loan.
Last edited by adnj on March 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”