Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby adnj » March 24th, 2021, 4:17 pm

h1tach1 wrote:Is there a book or manual that describes the electrical codes for residential wiring in T&T?
Yes. It's based on the US NEC so you can get quite a bit of further information and illustrations if needed.

TTS 171: PART 1: 2015 TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO ELECTRICAL WIRING CODE PART1 – LOW VOLTAGE INSTALLATION (1st Revision)

https://gottbs.com/standards-informatio ... FudrK8pCUA

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » March 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Thanks

sleek78
Ricer

Postby sleek78 » March 25th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Good day tuners..
In today’s current market, what is the average cost of building a house/sq ft??

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » March 26th, 2021, 8:09 pm

What are some key questions one should ask an architect/home contractor when beginning talks about building a home?

:?:

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » March 26th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Drea wrote:What are some key questions one should ask an architect/home contractor when beginning talks about building a home?

What is the cost.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » March 26th, 2021, 8:27 pm

wtf wrote:
Drea wrote:What are some key questions one should ask an architect/home contractor when beginning talks about building a home?

What is the cost.

No sheit Sherlock :roll:

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 26th, 2021, 8:48 pm

sleek78 wrote:Good day tuners..
In today’s current market, what is the average cost of building a house/sq ft??

$600 to $1000 per sq ft this year.

Drea wrote:
wtf wrote:

What is the cost.

No sheit Sherlock :roll:

There is a different approach between the two. The architect will give you the type of home design that you want within your budget that is in agreement with their approach to design. The home builder will give you the structure that you design that is in agreement with the approach to construction.

For either, you will likely want to see examples of prior designs and completed projects, estimates of on-time and within budget completion, credentials such as Trinidad & Tobago Institute of Architects, number on staff, payment terms, and contractual obligations. 

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » March 26th, 2021, 9:35 pm

What's the interest rate on a mortgage right now?

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 27th, 2021, 6:31 am

tizik 2nr wrote:Hi, recently some friends asked me to put the list below together, as they are starting the building/mortgage process.

I went through the process three years ago. I wrote this up from memory, so I'm sure some points might be missing or may have changed, but I think the gist is here.

House Plans
- Three sets of drawings need to be submitted to the Town & Country office in your area, who will forward one set on to your regional corporation for further approval.

- Also required for T&C:

o Deed in your name
o Two forms of ID
o Completed forms for T&C and RC (available at T&C office)
 Detailed directions including sketch of property and access

- Once your plans are approved by T&C and RC, you need to pay for your stamped copy at Republic Bank and collect your plans.

- Once you receive your plan, you need to inform the regional corporation in writing that you intend to proceed to develop your property as per the plan, quoting the plan number on the letter.

- Regional corporation inspectors may visit the site at any time during or after this process, without informing you.

would this be the same if someone wants to take out the galvanize roof and put a concert roof ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 27th, 2021, 7:29 am

Copied from Eastern Credit Union's page today:

Agreement of sale / purchase
2 forms of identification per applicant
Copy of mortgage, deed or title deed to the property / certificate or title
Deed of lease (if leasehold land)
Valuation report
Bank statement reflecting credit and loan balances
Credit Union statements reflecting shares, deposit and loan balances
WASA clearance certificate
Copies of up to date receipts of lease rental, Land and Building taxes and WASA rates.
For Home Construction, ALL of the above requirements with the exception of the Agreement for sale/ purchase. The following documents are also required:

Approved building plans (Town and Country)
Detailed builder's estimate
Building contract (if applicable)
Quantity surveyor's report.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » March 27th, 2021, 9:37 am

I suspect you're really asking architect vs draughtsman, as you usually need a drawing before going to a contractor.

If you're almost entirely sure of what you want re: layout, design, ceiling patterns etc, then draughtsman.
If on the flip side you don't quite know and can afford, go to an architect. They do most of the thinking for you and those worth their weight can figure out the design and flow you want fairly early on, and adapt and suggest to suit.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » March 27th, 2021, 11:41 am

worksux101 wrote:

I suspect you're really asking architect vs draughtsman, as you usually need a drawing before going to a contractor.

If you're almost entirely sure of what you want re: layout, design, ceiling patterns etc, then draughtsman.
If on the flip side you don't quite know and can afford, go to an architect. They do most of the thinking for you and those worth their weight can figure out the design and flow you want fairly early on, and adapt and suggest to suit.

Well I made a presumption since many of these architectural companies I'm seeing these days are all in one as some of them both design and build. My main trouble is that many show you sketches of their "modern " designs but little of actuallying built properties. Just want to be sure I'm asking key questions to determine that they are actually worth their salt.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » March 27th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Drea wrote:
worksux101 wrote:

Well I made a presumption since many of these architectural companies I'm seeing these days are all in one as some of them both design and build. My main trouble is that many show you sketches of their "modern " designs but little of actuallying built properties. Just want to be sure I'm asking key questions to determine that they are actually worth their salt.

Most of those companies use draughtsmen. Nothing's wrong with that if youre already pretty sure of what you want.
I imagine you're referring to companies that advertise on fb all the time. I'd suggest asking for references and addresses of places theyve designed/built.

Try to stick to the 'right' routes, i.e. once you have an approved building plan, don't take shortcuts. Let the inspectors do their job and be present yourself to ensure what you're paying for is what's being used.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » March 27th, 2021, 10:14 pm

daring dragoon wrote:it have a mango tree in my yard that other people who living in the yard dont want me to cut down. is it practical to do a foundation about 1 foot away from the mango tree for an extension to mu upstairs and cut the tree down after all the older head pass on or is that a bad idea to build so close to the mango tree? current house is about 12 feet from the mango tree and i want to go 10 feet towards the mango tree. mango tree is about 25 years old. type of foundation i looking to put down is to use steel colums and beams.
Urea salt is fairly inexpensive and worked wonders for me when I was in a similar situation. Family didn't want me removing a Julie mango tree to do my renovations/extention so I bought a big bag of urea salt (upon advice) from the garden shop. Mixed it strong and "watered" the ground around the roots. Within a week leaves were shedding and tree was almost bare. Took approximately 4 weeks before the first sign of a branch was going to fall. This left me with no choice but to cut down the tree to prevent any damages to property. I was now able to do my renovations/extension but had to dig up the roots so be mindful of that. Hope you get through with whatever decision you make.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 30th, 2021, 7:33 am

Homeless man becomes first person to live in 3D-printed house — see inside

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/homeless- ... ted-house/

The 3-D printer.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 2nd, 2021, 4:42 pm

adnj wrote:
pugboy wrote:wasa uses a lil brass valve which is screw compressed onto the line, no male adapters needed
and it has a hole latch to put a padlock on it too.
dunno where they get it from though

adnj wrote:
m@x wrote:good day, the 3/4 inch blue line that comes of the wasa main to your house , is that a "pex" or "flexible pvc" line? what fittings do i have to use to attach a ball valve as i understand you cant glue pex pipe. Thank you.
IIRC, it's 3/4" PEX blue tubing for cold water.

To add a ball valve, you will need 2 no. 3/4" PEX compression to 3/4" NPT female adapters, 2 no. 3/4" male/male PVC adapters, a tubing/PVC pipe cutter, and the valve.

I would make a male/male adapter from two male adapters and 3 inches of PVC pipe. I would also use a brass or chrome valve. Because many male adapters and PVC ball valves fail.
Now we are talking about a curb stop valve. It's usually installed toward the beginning of the line.

Tried reconnecting on of these but trying to figure out if a washer is missing because it still has a bit of a leak on the compression screw end . Anyone has any extra advice to keep it sealed ?

Mark!
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Mark! » April 3rd, 2021, 3:20 pm

Hey. Tried a search in the thread but couldn’t get anything solid..

Im looking around for bathroom vanities I really wanna cover all my bases before I buy.

I checked Russtiles, T&Z Tiles, Tile Warehouse. Also Roopnarines... but not liking the 3 week waiting period.

Anywhere else have a nice variety?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 3rd, 2021, 4:30 pm

Have you considered getting your vanities built?

Else, check Beta Homes, ABC distributors, Mirror Mirror, Whan Tong and many other major hardwares and plumbing supplies stores. The ones mentioned had vanities that I know persons have bought from. I can't say what they have now.
Mark! wrote:Hey. Tried a search in the thread but couldn’t get anything solid..

Im looking around for bathroom vanities I really wanna cover all my bases before I buy.

I checked Russtiles, T&Z Tiles, Tile Warehouse. Also Roopnarines... but not liking the 3 week waiting period.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 3rd, 2021, 6:18 pm

home express have vanities

you can also buy a cupboard unit from young sing and make a vanity

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 4th, 2021, 6:38 am

adnj wrote:Homeless man becomes first person to live in 3D-printed house — see inside

I wonder how that structure standing up to hurricane and seismic loads?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 4th, 2021, 6:49 am

Nex house I building is concrete cupboards right through
pugboy wrote:home express have vanities

you can also buy a cupboard unit from young sing and make a vanity

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 4th, 2021, 7:17 am

Kenjo wrote:
adnj wrote:
pugboy wrote:wasa uses a lil brass valve which is screw compressed onto the line, no male adapters needed
and it has a hole latch to put a padlock on it too.
dunno where they get it from though

adnj wrote:
m@x wrote:good day, the 3/4 inch blue line that comes of the wasa main to your house , is that a "pex" or "flexible pvc" line? what fittings do i have to use to attach a ball valve as i understand you cant glue pex pipe. Thank you.
IIRC, it's 3/4" PEX blue tubing for cold water.

To add a ball valve, you will need 2 no. 3/4" PEX compression to 3/4" NPT female adapters, 2 no. 3/4" male/male PVC adapters, a tubing/PVC pipe cutter, and the valve.

I would make a male/male adapter from two male adapters and 3 inches of PVC pipe. I would also use a brass or chrome valve. Because many male adapters and PVC ball valves fail.
Now we are talking about a curb stop valve. It's usually installed toward the beginning of the line.

Tried reconnecting on of these but trying to figure out if a washer is missing because it still has a bit of a leak on the compression screw end . Anyone has any extra advice to keep it sealed ?

Leaks were due to the washer needing to be around the blue tube but the sharp edge of the blue tube needs to be ground down a bit to a tapered shaped

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 4th, 2021, 7:26 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
adnj wrote:Homeless man becomes first person to live in 3D-printed house — see inside

I wonder how that structure standing up to hurricane and seismic loads?
The developer has built 3D printed homes in Texas to meet local building codes for extreme weather and earthquakes.

Apparently, their Austin, TX, 3DP development experienced a 7+ magnitude earthquake with no discernible damage. Real world evidence for hurricanes can't be too far in the future for Austin, either.

Mark!

Postby Mark! » April 4th, 2021, 8:33 am

carluva wrote:Have you considered getting your vanities built?

Else, check Beta Homes, ABC distributors, Mirror Mirror, Whan Tong and many other major hardwares and plumbing supplies stores. The ones mentioned had vanities that I know persons have bought from. I can't say what they have now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don’t mind the building, its just the waiting period. Would like to get it as as quick a I can.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 4th, 2021, 11:32 am

ABC has a wide selection of bathroom vanities and faucets.

ABC BATHS DOORS & WINDOWS
674-8327
#1 Chanka Trace, El Socorro, San Juan, Trinidad, W.I.

Mark!

Postby Mark! » April 4th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Yea planning to check them out

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 9th, 2021, 7:49 am

anybody know price/ft of 26g corrugated these days ?

Wolfgang123
Street 2NR

Postby Wolfgang123 » April 12th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Goodnight tuners, looking for 90 amp breakers can anyone tell me where sells them and the cost? Wondering if it would be cheaper ordering it online

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » April 12th, 2021, 7:44 pm

timelapse wrote:Copied from Eastern Credit Union's page today:

Agreement of sale / purchase
2 forms of identification per applicant
Copy of mortgage, deed or title deed to the property / certificate or title
Deed of lease (if leasehold land)
Valuation report
Bank statement reflecting credit and loan balances
Credit Union statements reflecting shares, deposit and loan balances
WASA clearance certificate
Copies of up to date receipts of lease rental, Land and Building taxes and WASA rates.
For Home Construction, ALL of the above requirements with the exception of the Agreement for sale/ purchase. The following documents are also required:

Approved building plans (Town and Country)
Detailed builder's estimate
Building contract (if applicable)
Quantity surveyor's report.

is there a cut off age to get a mortgage from any bank etc,

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 12th, 2021, 9:12 pm

Looking for PVC or WPC fencing solutions locally.
Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”