Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Kronik » December 28th, 2020, 10:10 am

thelem-again wrote:
Fadakartel wrote:Hmm curious to find out whats the cost to build some apartment units on a 5000 sq ft land (no slope/flat land, land owned already and walled) Not sure if T&C approval/WASA is needed as it already has a small dilapidated house with water running already, since 1926 that needs to be bulldozed.

Also thinking I could build 6-8 two bedroom units with 10x12 bed rooms in it not to sure as I still in the planning phase.

Trying to be smart with the costs since ill look to rent each unit for like 3800 in the Arouca area.

From what I gather so far it seems it might be 700-850k but wanted a lil extra insight from Tuners.

Well first off T&C/WASA is a big factor, especially if you want to do apartments.
Elaborate a little on that please

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 28th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Kronik wrote:
thelem-again wrote:
Fadakartel wrote:Hmm curious to find out whats the cost to build some apartment units on a 5000 sq ft land (no slope/flat land, land owned already and walled) Not sure if T&C approval/WASA is needed as it already has a small dilapidated house with water running already, since 1926 that needs to be bulldozed.

Also thinking I could build 6-8 two bedroom units with 10x12 bed rooms in it not to sure as I still in the planning phase.

Trying to be smart with the costs since ill look to rent each unit for like 3800 in the Arouca area.

From what I gather so far it seems it might be 700-850k but wanted a lil extra insight from Tuners.

Well first off T&C/WASA is a big factor, especially if you want to do apartments.
The usage has moved from a 100 year old single-family, single-story building to a multiple-unit residential building of 3600 to 4800 sq ft with a foot print of 2000 sq ft, or it's a three story building. Parking for 8 to 10 cars must be provided.

Water storage and sewerage needs went up from the previous 6 to 8 people to the proposed 18 to 40. More storage tanks, a larger septic tank (which is doubtful because it is unlikely that there will be enough greenspace for the soakaway on a 5000 sq ft parcel) or a new sewer connection.

The best way to know is to submit an application for outline approval. I believe that there is no Town and Country application fee.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Whats an average cost for a mason to remove a burglar proof and a door and to block it up and plaster both sides? Have like 8 doors to block up. Doing some remodeling

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » December 28th, 2020, 3:13 pm

adnj wrote:
Kronik wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

The usage has moved from a 100 year old single-family, single-story building to a multiple-unit residential building of 3600 to 4800 sq ft with a foot print of 2000 sq ft, or it's a three story building. Parking for 8 to 10 cars must be provided.

Water storage and sewerage needs went up from the previous 6 to 8 people to the proposed 18 to 40. More storage tanks, a larger septic tank (which is doubtful because it is unlikely that there will be enough greenspace for the soakaway on a 5000 sq ft parcel) or a new sewer connection.

The best way to know is to submit an application for outline approval. I believe that there is no Town and Country application fee.

So in other words, cater for a lot more than $850k.

Fadakartel
Street 2NR

Postby Fadakartel » December 30th, 2020, 5:56 am

adnj wrote:
Kronik wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

hmmm good advice thanks!

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » December 30th, 2020, 6:26 am

Looking to get 50 feet of chain link fencing in south but places I call only selling the 100ft rolls. Any ideas

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 2nd, 2021, 3:06 am

nemisis wrote:Looking to get 50 feet of chain link fencing in south but places I call only selling the 100ft rolls. Any ideas
Check Varma

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 2nd, 2021, 6:05 am

Any reviews on epoxy flooring?

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » January 2nd, 2021, 8:48 am

Why have the hardwares increased the prices of building materials? I thought vat was removed now whats going on

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » January 2nd, 2021, 1:00 pm

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm

jm3 wrote:Why have the hardwares increased the prices of building materials? I thought vat was removed now whats going on

Cuz great is the pnm...cement prices gonna get high very soon...steel prices also went up by a lot as well. Owning your own home is becoming more and more difficult in this country

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 2nd, 2021, 4:15 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
jm3 wrote:Why have the hardwares increased the prices of building materials? I thought vat was removed now whats going on

Cuz great is the pnm...cement prices gonna get high very soon...steel prices also went up by a lot as well. Owning your own home is becoming more and more difficult in this country

Nah, shakes, yuh is a lying UNC MC!. Dotish X 2 Red Plastic Bag and Habit7 say tings nice...............

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 3rd, 2021, 11:33 pm

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me where can I get a shower mixer and faucet setup at a reasonable price. Looking for something of quality that will last, like moen, kholer,delta. Checked a couple places but prices are significantly more than online. Or should I just import my own?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 4th, 2021, 12:30 am

De Dragon wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

Nah, shakes, yuh is a lying UNC MC!. Dotish X 2 Red Plastic Bag and Habit7 say tings nice...............

:angel:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 4th, 2021, 7:06 am

I have bought one shower mixer and sprayer with hose (Delta), face basin faucets (Kohler and Pfister) and a kitchen sink faucet (Pfister) all online. In every single case, it was cheaper that what was available locally. The Pfisters were not available locally btw.

You will likely not get these faucets locally close to the price online and subsequent skybox or seabox fees. And even if you pay more, there's a good chance you are buying something not available locally or that's of a newer style or variant.

I suggest you stop looking locally, protect yourself from potential Coronavirus exposure and buy your items online.
aidan wrote:Hey guys. Can anyone tell me where can I get a shower mixer and faucet setup at a reasonable price. Looking for something of quality that will last, like moen, kholer,delta. Checked a couple places but prices are significantly more than online. Or should I just import my own?

@lex
Street 2NR

Postby @lex » January 6th, 2021, 9:22 am

Where do you get plumber's grease or silicone grease approved for used on rubber seals, o-rings etc on household plumbing fixtures. Thanks.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » January 6th, 2021, 11:05 am

@lex wrote:Where do you get plumber's grease or silicone grease approved for used on rubber seals, o-rings etc on household plumbing fixtures. Thanks.

any car parts place,ask them for rubber grease, there's usually a small bottle of yellow colored bel ray ones you get almost anywhere

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 11th, 2021, 10:39 am

anyone who building this year in for extreme costs

cement expected to go to $80 if TCL have their way and the government blocks rockhard imports and taxes them heavily

steel already gone from 3k to 7k a ton

to get large amount of bricks from abel you hadda know someone

hardwares selling clay blocks at $1700 plus for grade 1/2

grade 3 still going at 1200-1500

to ship a 40 foot container is now 10k USD(thought it was 7k, got corrected a little while ago)
it use to be 3k

so all normally cheap things like gypsum board, lights, fixtures etc going to skyrocket
if you hadda pay 80k to ship a container instead of 16k .( USD at 8 to 1 and up blackmarket)

was planning to do a lil construction this year but firetruck that

2022 for it

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 11th, 2021, 1:35 pm

This is heartbreaking
Phone Surgeon wrote:anyone who building this year in for extreme costs

cement expected to go to $80 if TCL have their way and the government blocks rockhard imports and taxes them heavily

to ship a 40 foot container is now 10k USD(thought it was 7k, got corrected a little while ago)
it use to be 3k

so all normally cheap things like gypsum board, lights, fixtures etc going to skyrocket
if you hadda pay 80k to ship a container instead of 16k .( USD at 8 to 1 and up blackmarket)

2022 for it

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 11th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:anyone who building this year in for extreme costs

it use to be 3k

2022 for it

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The dream of home ownership is a continuously shifting goalpost for many.
:(

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 11th, 2021, 2:07 pm

2 of my padnas own a real estate company

they say houses that were selling for 1.8mil last year may have to sell for 2.3mil this year just based on cost of building increases alone

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 11th, 2021, 2:08 pm

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/rock-ha ... a89fb91ab9

Rock Hard Cement Ltd is warning its customers that measures being implemented by the Ministry of Trade to limit the importation of Portland cement will force an 80 per cent increase in cement prices in the new year.

In a release issued yesterday and a full page ad which appears in today’s newspaper, the company said the Government has implemented crippling restrictions that have adversely affected their industry. The company said these measures will delay the company’s planned resumption of business on January 4.

“Consequently, the shipments have been delayed and this has had negative consequences on our operations,” the release stated.

One of the measures being implemented was the Trade Ordinance No 19 of 1958 which states that Portland cement, among various other similar types of hydraulic cement are now on this country’s negative list. The other two, the company said, were legal notices 415 and 416 of the Customs Act which state all tariffs are suspended and there was a 50 per cent increase in duties on Portland cement and other types of hydraulic cement.

Rock Hard said these more stringent measures follow a 35 per cent increase in duties imposed in 2020.

“Duties on cement have effectively moved from 0-5 per cent and 2021 will see a price increase of 80 per cent,” the company said.

A bag of cement currently costs between $45 and $50. If the lower cost is used, the price of a bag of cement currently costing $45 will increase to $81.

But, the company said a restriction on the quantity of imported cement can push the price even higher.

“In addition to these new measures, there is a proposed restriction on cement coming into our country. Just 75,000 tonnes of imported cement will be allowed for the year. This represents a very small portion of T&T’s annual supply.”

Rock Hard is warning T&T that if this restriction is imposed, there will be a major cement shortage, a devastating impact on prices and “the added threat of a monopoly in the supply of cement.”

The company said they remain committed to providing the country with high-quality cement at an affordable price.

Rock Hard is hoping to be able to reopen on February 1.

Zalos
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Zalos » January 11th, 2021, 2:42 pm

And I heard from a retailer that steel going up because China taking all...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 11th, 2021, 5:12 pm

If you just count the higher shipping cost and assume a 40 foot container is packed to capacity at 29 tons.

Normally it would be 600 to ship a ton of steel. Now its 2500.

And every step of the way its more cost

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 11th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Is this for Trinidad alone or the entire world ? Should the shipping costs decrease after corona ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 11th, 2021, 11:45 pm

I read that because of worldwide economic slowdowns, many containers were stored. Now that shipping is resuming, 40 ft containers are at a premium, particularly for anything in the Pacific.

The shortage should be corrected before June.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 12th, 2021, 1:04 am

You got through?
nemisis wrote:Looking to get 50 feet of chain link fencing in south but places I call only selling the 100ft rolls. Any ideas

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 17th, 2021, 8:31 am

Tile expression
Tile warehouse
Classic tile

Good prices and quality, what say you?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 17th, 2021, 9:26 am

Tile expression and tile warehouse price and quality are pretty similar. Personally, I've found their tiles overpriced and expensive for what you get.

Classic tiles is very good and have a range of tiles across the price and quality spectrum. However, there seems to be quite a variety of "cheaper" looking tiles. Usually, you'll find what you want there and the prices are good.

The last time I tiled was two years ago and that was an outdoor counter top. I looked all over starting with classic tiles and ended right back there to purchase. My advice is if you see something you like and is within your budget at classic tiles, buy one time.

Rafmon also had good quality, variety and prices. I bought all tiles for my house at Rafmon 11 years ago. Now I don't know.

What do you have to tile? Floors, bathrooms, living spaces, bedrooms or kitchen?

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 17th, 2021, 9:36 am

Just did some tiles... Tile warehouse has the best quality and modern looking tiles. But they are a little expensive. They have sales now and again and was able to get a good discount on the tile I chose.

I also got some at roopnarines in chaguanas. They have some pretty bad ceramic tiles that i had to carry back and some better porcelain tiles that was not that expensive.

TMZ, tile expression and international tiles just had long time looking rubbish and their prices were not that great either.

I heard good things about rafmons but it was too far to go.

Mi roe road Rusties Tiles has some superior tiles. But will buss your pocket.

Look out for them tile man...they does eat thin set.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”