Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Chimera » August 20th, 2020, 9:50 am

A tileman tell me $4500 to do a bathroom. 9 feet tall x 6 feet wide x 6 feet.porcelain tiles. They say bathroom does be a different price than everything else.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 20th, 2020, 9:57 am

carluva wrote:With a good set of engineered plans and a good builder with four or five men in the crew, you could take on that project yourself and save on contractor markup. You can also open a credit line with a hardware. Usually if you are a new customer, once you buy the first batch of material and show that you are paying them, after a few weeks, you can get a credit line extended. That way, your builder goes and gets his material and puts it on your tab. Just verify the delivery notes with the items.

You can do the inspections yourself, using the plans as a reference and have hold points for you to see everything before concrete is ever poured.
VexXx Dogg wrote:saw a plan online that I like.
Are there any reputable contracting that can bring this to reality with a properly defined budget that they can actually stick to?

Wanna ride out this year, maybe look at starting next year - but it's good to do my research now

If I was building cash this would have been my approach. Selling my soul to a bank for mortgage, so dunno if they will like this method

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 20th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Avidan properties doing good work.

Building quickly and within budget. Right now they doing a 45 house gated community in esmeralda

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 20th, 2020, 12:14 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
carluva wrote:With a good set of engineered plans and a good builder with four or five men in the crew, you could take on that project yourself and save on contractor markup. You can also open a credit line with a hardware. Usually if you are a new customer, once you buy the first batch of material and show that you are paying them, after a few weeks, you can get a credit line extended. That way, your builder goes and gets his material and puts it on your tab. Just verify the delivery notes with the items.

You can do the inspections yourself, using the plans as a reference and have hold points for you to see everything before concrete is ever poured.
VexXx Dogg wrote:saw a plan online that I like.
Are there any reputable contracting that can bring this to reality with a properly defined budget that they can actually stick to?

Wanna ride out this year, maybe look at starting next year - but it's good to do my research now

If I was building cash this would have been my approach. Selling my soul to a bank for mortgage, so dunno if they will like this method

This approach is OLD and makes NO SENSE $$$$ and shows an insecure person :D
Building an apartment is a business venture .
It's real estate investment and ANY bank will support $$$ this venture.

Building an apartment is NOT a hustle . It takes professional advice and design and commitment .

To say you will use your cash is a joke since ONLY a finance person understands that costs are
variable and your CASH reserve is best kept under your mattress - safe and secure :D :D

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » August 20th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Good night,

So my sister is a doctor and was posted to Couva children's hospital to treat patients who tested positive for covid-19.
She's taking precautions in an effort to safeguard our parents at home. She wants a bathroom/ sanitation area for when she comes home. She suggested erecting a small structure in the garage where she can shower and sanitize before coming into the house.
My suggestion was to do a framing with C channel and line the inside with some kinda waterproof material. Someone suggested PVC board. Dimensions are 6feet long, 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall.
Decided to ask suggestions here before proceeding. Any suggestions are welcomed.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 20th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Y'all ever saw bidet type toilets seats selling locally? Basically to swap out regular seat to one with bidet attachment.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » August 21st, 2020, 1:55 am

Jerry84 wrote:Good night,

So my sister is a doctor and was posted to Couva children's hospital to treat patients who tested positive for covid-19.
She's taking precautions in an effort to safeguard our parents at home. She wants a bathroom/ sanitation area for when she comes home. She suggested erecting a small structure in the garage where she can shower and sanitize before coming into the house.
My suggestion was to do a framing with C channel and line the inside with some kinda waterproof material. Someone suggested PVC board. Dimensions are 6feet long, 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall.
Decided to ask suggestions here before proceeding. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Good idea of taking precautions .
there is also a concrete board which is waterproof and you can use that for the bathroom
there is no need for c channel you can use 2x4. although they about the same price now
if you only planning on a tempory structure and plan to remove it after the covid saga you can just use marine ply or even construction ply and paint it with an oil paint on the inside

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 21st, 2020, 4:28 am

hong kong phooey wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:Good night,

Good idea of taking precautions .
there is also a concrete board which is waterproof and you can use that for the bathroom
there is no need for c channel you can use 2x4. although they about the same price now
if you only planning on a tempory structure and plan to remove it after the covid saga you can just use marine ply or even construction ply and paint it with an oil paint on the inside
I thought that the OP was referring to gypsum board studs (lightweight purlins/drywall studs).

Standard framing of the enclosure with lightweight purlins is fast and sturdy. Attach PVC board vertically using stainless steel sheet metal screws to prevent rust. Caulk the seams of the board and install a plastic shower base to collect the gray water and run it to a drain.

The shower base and gypsum studs are available at Bhagwansingh. I believe that they have PVC board in stock, also.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 21st, 2020, 8:25 am

I believe I saw Kohler at Mirror Mirror a year or so ago.

Why not install a shut off spray and hang it next to the toilet? You can TEE into the water line that fills the toilet tank and put a separate angle lock off valve. Much cheaper and just as effective as a bidet/bidet toilet.
NR8 wrote:Y'all ever saw bidet type toilets seats selling locally? Basically to swap out regular seat to one with bidet attachment.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 21st, 2020, 9:45 am

carluva wrote:I believe I saw Kohler at Mirror Mirror a year or so ago.

Why not install a shut off spray and hang it next to the toilet? You can TEE into the water line that fills the toilet tank and put a separate angle lock off valve. Much cheaper and just as effective as a bidet/bidet toilet.
NR8 wrote:Y'all ever saw bidet type toilets seats selling locally? Basically to swap out regular seat to one with bidet attachment.

I saw the bidet sprayer attachment at Persad's Home Store for $200 and up. Never used one of those and was wondering how effective it would work as it seemed a bit unusual to be be directing the handle down there while on the throne as opposed the the bidet seat which would spray from down under. lol

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 21st, 2020, 10:10 am

I for one don't use it, but it is good when you cleaning the toilet and need to get rid of stubborn stains and rinse out the toilet brush.

My wife however uses it and uses it on the kids. And no problems there, except that the water could be cold, but I guess that'll be the case with an integrated bidet.

As long as water is available to wash the areas, it shouldn't matter whether it comes from up or down.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 21st, 2020, 10:13 am

That's what I have. The second one is plumbed separately as it came with a valve and trim.

The first one is where it's TEEd from the fill line.
IMG_20200821_101228097.jpeg
IMG_20200821_101203742.jpeg

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 21st, 2020, 10:56 am

This somehow is not something that I would find inviting --especially when compared to the elegance in function of a bidet. But if it is necessary and it's the best thing that can be done under the circumstances, I won't argue.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 21st, 2020, 11:01 am

Elegance, schmelegance.

The best thing is to do what I do when I wrap up in toilet.... Take a bathe or go in shower and wash off....

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 21st, 2020, 11:16 am

carluva wrote:Elegance, schmelegance.

The best thing is to do what I do when I wrap up in toilet.... Take a bathe or go in shower and wash off....
Now that is something that I can agree with...
a wicked sh!t followed immediately by a full-body hot shower and clean underwear.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 21st, 2020, 8:22 pm

Some very shitty insights. Thanks much :lol:

stout
Ricer

Postby stout » August 25th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Looking for recommendations good Builder/carpenter central area.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » August 25th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Apron separating from the house where the concrete joined - will take a pic tomorrow...any suggestions on how to deal with? Its not a big shift per se, but enough to notice. Should I seal it?

Also, any suggestions for who to use to build a pool? Area alredy mostly excavated...thinking igui (fiberglass pre-made pool by GB) is also an option

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2020, 9:32 pm

If it was cast separately and most likely then is a hard luck there as concrete don’t join so any soil movement below will have shifts opening up.

But it should be filled and sealed to avoid water going below and soaking the underneath foundation or whatever.

worksux101 wrote:Apron separating from the house where the concrete joined - will take a pic tomorrow...any suggestions on how to deal with? Its not a big shift per se, but enough to notice. Should I seal it?

Also, any suggestions for who to use to build a pool? Area alredy mostly excavated...thinking igui (fiberglass pre-made pool by GB) is also an option

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » August 25th, 2020, 10:38 pm

pugboy wrote:If it was cast separately and most likely then is a hard luck there as concrete don’t join so any soil movement below will have shifts opening up.

But it should be filled and sealed to avoid water going below and soaking the underneath foundation or whatever.

worksux101 wrote:Apron separating from the house where the concrete joined - will take a pic tomorrow...any suggestions on how to deal with? Its not a big shift per se, but enough to notice. Should I seal it?

Yea i'm aware it wouldn't have joined and wasn't surprised at the slight shift as it was a backfilled area. Any suggestions on what to use to seal?
Thanks much

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 25th, 2020, 10:45 pm

carluva wrote:That's what I have. The second one is plumbed separately as it came with a valve and trim.

The first one is where it's TEEd from the fill line.IMG_20200821_101203742.jpegIMG_20200821_101228097.jpeg

Was looking at this 3 way diverter to use for the toilet spray hose
https://www.amazon.com/CACASO-Shower-Di ... 07W668GPB/

31oX9hq0JFL._AC_.jpg
31oX9hq0JFL._AC_.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 2989 times

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2020, 10:47 pm

If small crack just use sharp sand and cement along with polyv to help it stick and fill the crack.

worksux101 wrote:
pugboy wrote:If it was cast separately and most likely then is a hard luck there as concrete don’t join so any soil movement below will have shifts opening up.

Yea i'm aware it wouldn't have joined and wasn't surprised at the slight shift as it was a backfilled area. Any suggestions on what to use to seal?
Thanks much

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 25th, 2020, 10:53 pm

What you are experiencing there is a cold joint. It's caused when new concrete joins or butts existing cured concrete and then they begin to separate from each other.

Coincidentally, I am addressing this right now where my slipper drains are separating from the apron. The cold joint has been widened using a grinder, to about 1/4" - 3/8", then washed clean and allowed to dry. I have a leaf blower so this is used to blow out standing water and any residual dust.

Once the joint has been prepared as described, I'm using a polyurethane sealant called Dymonic 100 which is available at Specialty Chemicals Limited (SCL). Their retail store is in Barataria in the road to lifestyle motors and ft Farfan. A tube which fits the standard silicone gun costs a lil more than $40. There is also a retail store in Marbella in one of those back roads behind the market.

There is also another product called Vulkem 116, which is a few dollars cheaper. The difference between the two is that the Dymonic can be applied to damp surfaces, whereas the Vulkem needs to be applied to a fully dry surface and the Dymonic can work in submerged applications whereas the Vulkem cannot.

The polyurethane sealant causes a flexible joint between the two concrete sides and has a modulus of elasticity which allows it to stretch to some degree. This prevents water ingress between the joint. If the gap is very big, you can fill with something called backer rod, which is a foam tube sold in a roll, and then you apply the sealant to the joint stuffed with the backer rod. Backer rod is sold in various diameters to suit gaps of different sizes.

These sealants are also available in other manufacturers as well such as Sika.

Of course, if the gap is greater than 1", this sealant won't work as you'd be wasting it. So you may be better off filling with some mortar or a slurry, allowing that to cure and the apply the sealant as described.
worksux101 wrote:

Thanks much

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 25th, 2020, 10:57 pm

So one port of the valve is the water inlet, a second port is the outlet to the spray hose, but what will the third port be used for? Will you be using that to full the tank, in which case you'll divert water between the tank and the spray?

Sounds doable.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
carluva wrote:That's what I have. The second one is plumbed separately as it came with a valve and trim.

The first one is where it's TEEd from the fill line.IMG_20200821_101203742.jpegIMG_20200821_101228097.jpeg

Was looking at this 3 way diverter to use for the toilet spray hose
https://www.amazon.com/CACASO-Shower-Di ... 07W668GPB/

31oX9hq0JFL._AC_.jpg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2020, 11:03 pm

The vulkem is very good stuff, great for sealing concrete in general but dries in the can so you lose a thick layer of the top.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 25th, 2020, 11:17 pm

worksux101 wrote:

Thanks much

An easy way for this repair:

1. get a concrete backer rod (it's a foam) e.g. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-0-75-in-x ... /999977076 and insert into the separation.

2. Get a concrete crack caulk/sealant and seal the crack. eg. https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-Concr ... al/3006115 or https://www.liquidnails.com/products/co ... tar-repair
Let dry.

See video instructions here: https://youtu.be/N7SY3E7V2ps?t=249
(3/10 for his caulk application technique :| )

Instruction video 2: https://youtu.be/nGGcCKrTFeo?t=195
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The harder way for this repair is to get an engineer to assess why the crack appeared where it is, and if its cause is simple concrete shrinkage or something more serious that may involve the foundation shifting.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » August 26th, 2020, 12:45 am

Thanks very much for the advice folks. Will try the vulkem or dymonic this week. Its 1/2" for the most, but most parts are 1/4" or so.

Any suggestions for pool construction?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 27th, 2020, 8:03 am

which is cheaper ? track and stud framing or 2x4 framing using drywall? need to build a quarantine room before problems hit so i putting up a diving wall. the wall will be taken down once covid under control or goes away or vaccine comes available.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 27th, 2020, 9:21 am

screwbash wrote:which is cheaper ? track and stud framing or 2x4 framing using drywall? need to build a quarantine room before problems hit so i putting up a diving wall. the wall will be taken down once covid under control or goes away or vaccine comes available.
In my experience, the prices are about the same with many reasons driving the comparable prices up or down.

Your biggest expense will be labor. If it's for a small room, use the materials that you have the tools for and the most experience with.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 3rd, 2020, 11:15 pm

anyone ever use hempcrete?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”