offshore ppl ........your views.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

geodude
Riding on 18's

offshore ppl ........your views.

Postby geodude » October 27th, 2010, 12:29 am

aite fellas lets talk bout the life out dey nah,

pros and cons, how do you cope with the demands of the oilfield life?
Last edited by geodude on October 1st, 2012, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DFC
2NRholic

Re: offshore ppl ........your views.

Postby DFC » October 27th, 2010, 12:37 am

so is it true that on the rig , there is a barrel with a hole. And whenever you feel sexually frustrated, you go hug up that barrel and make love to that hole. and that its the best feeling in the world. and you can use it anytime except on fridays because thats your day inside d barrel?

i have heard many offshore men speak of this.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » October 27th, 2010, 12:39 am

and yeah dude, working offshore kills your personal life. and then you come to realise.."is it really worth it?" sacrifice your youth and social life for $$ ?

i suggest you look for a land job, where you can at least have some sort of life.

DrunkenMaster16
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DrunkenMaster16 » October 27th, 2010, 12:39 am

Yes, personally im not sure if im going back on a rig. No life dread. But the $ sweet!

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » October 27th, 2010, 12:46 am

DrunkenMaster16 wrote:Yes, personally im not sure if im going back on a rig. No life dread. But the $ sweet!

well i have been considering a office based position, but i just don't think i can survive in that environment, i want to be offshore but i want to share in the live of the ppl that are important to me, i know i can't have both and i just don't know what to do

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » October 27th, 2010, 1:03 am

I worked offshore for 4 years before being promoted and sent to the office, i miss it sometimes but i don't think that i could go back to doing that. An offshore worker's job is routine and mundane, sure the money is excellent but you become stagnant and the $$ can't compensate for it. I wanted a challenge so i worked for my promotion because it was a ticket out of offshore.

Now in the office i spend my time supporting the same men i worked alongside with offshore; the money wasn't reduced by much, i am in a much more stable position within the company i work for, my work has a lot more value and i get to go home to my own bed every evening.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » October 27th, 2010, 2:18 am

interesting, your company hiring?

KarbonFiber
3NE 2NR for life

Postby KarbonFiber » October 27th, 2010, 2:33 am

I also work in the offshore environment, more hydrographic, but luckily not on a rotational basis and each project is different so Im not doing the same task every time. I also worked in the office with the same company before coming offshore and I tell you, I don't regret it.

I can sometimes spend 2 months at home and then sometimes 2 weeks, its more volatile but you still have some sort of a life and I can plan around it.

From what I understand the "rig" life is a very difficult one. No matter what position your are in it seems that its some shitty rotation you will be keeping.

Maybe you need to change the field you are in.

At the end of the day buddy, life and relationships are more important. If its that heavy on your mind, you may be in need for a change in career/lifestyle/scenery.
You are still a young fella so making a change now won't be that big a deal.

Best of luck.

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » October 27th, 2010, 3:26 am

Skipper, if you there that long and that valued to be in brazil, there comes a time that you have to tell them that 6 weeks on=6 weeks off.
Sound like you working for a service company - how long you in Brazil now?

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » October 27th, 2010, 7:05 am

Offshore is the worst when you out there working yet when you on land you miss it..go figure.

Anyway obviously being a young man you will have short,medium and long term goals which obviously should be the most important.
In the short/medium term you will need money to live,lime,to buy the fast cars...basically the life of a twentysomething so it's fine to work offshore then.
Long term though you'll want to settle down,get married and have children etc and 6 weeks away from the wifey and children not going to cut it.
You need to make the money you make now work for you by opening up some sort of sustainable business whereby though it may not be able to sustain the offshore lifestyle it will be able to accommodate the life of a family.

The problem most men have is taking a hit to their ego.They've grown accustomed to living a certain lifestyle and they're admired by friends and family so they can't bring themselves to make a change in their lifestyle.These are the same old men who you see working offshore now in their 60's and have no wife,family or children but living in a fabulous house,driving a bentley and lots of twentysomething girlfriends.

So you have to choose...do you want to be the fortysomething man with all the material possessions and no/unhappy family or the man with a family and maybe not as extravagant lifestyle?
I'm not saying you can't make the money that you make offshore on land but it is the transition period that is hard.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 27th, 2010, 7:09 am

Skanky wrote:These are the same old men who you see working offshore now in their 60's and have no wife,family or children but living in a fabulous house,driving a bentley and lots of twentysomething girlfriends.

What exactly is wrong with the above scenario?

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » October 27th, 2010, 7:22 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
Skanky wrote:These are the same old men who you see working offshore now in their 60's and have no wife,family or children but living in a fabulous house,driving a bentley and lots of twentysomething girlfriends.

What exactly is wrong with the above scenario?

See sig :|

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » October 27th, 2010, 7:29 am

I am in the same situation as you , also in my twenties works offshore and not a day goes by that i don't think i am wasting my life for some kind of monetary gain but such is life. what i learn was not to accumulate strong feelings for any woman because it would be the begin of the end of you.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 27th, 2010, 7:32 am

in the end dude... it ain't worth it, trust me i gave up that life 28 / 14

+ don't go work for the same company as rainman

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 27th, 2010, 7:35 am

I made a financial sacrifice years ago to not continue working offshore for the same reasons.

pablo_tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby pablo_tt » October 27th, 2010, 7:45 am

CBH, I could never picture you to to be an offshore worker!

Reyos
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Reyos » October 27th, 2010, 7:48 am

you guys who are in this situation should have a chat with mudboy.......he does something similar but seems to have it under control...he is a bit older and in the situation a while now. He might explain it from another point of view.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 27th, 2010, 7:52 am

pablo_tt wrote:CBH, I could never picture you to to be an offshore worker!

Why boy??? I started out as a mud logger, for many years. Even in the last few years spent some time offshore.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » October 27th, 2010, 7:54 am

Just give it two years again to save then go somewhere else, that's all. Money isn't everything. It helps a lot, but it's not.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 27th, 2010, 7:54 am

reyos

mudboy, older than twenty sum.... already have a family....

RMSTTL
Street 2NR

Postby RMSTTL » October 27th, 2010, 7:57 am

i think that most men have questioned there presence offshore at some point in time. for me finding the right person to share life with has enhanced the rewards of working a rotation. it took me a while to get there and cost me in terms of relationships but it was worth it. i feel that if you were to get into a regular rotation with equal time you would fell more comfortable. the job is only a means to provide for the family. the family is the focus not the job. in this type of job you need to carefull evaluate ppl and look for those that have the same focus, values and goals that you do. and time is what will eventually expose peoples hearts to you. one makes a living by what one gets, one makes a life by what one gives.

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » October 27th, 2010, 8:02 am

tr1ad wrote:in the end dude... it ain't worth it, trust me i gave up that life 28 / 14

+ don't go work for the same company as rainman

You still work here mofo!!

Tell people the truth, you gave up offshore because they send yuh to look for a pipe stretcher.

Reyos
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Reyos » October 27th, 2010, 8:16 am

tr1ad wrote:reyos

mudboy, older than twenty sum.... already have a family....

good....you did not miss my point....

he is a bit more mature and been through the emotional rollercoaster that comes with working offshore for long time intervals and evidently was able to find a "balance"..
its like a older person guiding the younger ones...i just saying he might be able to show the younger ones a different point of view or some advice on how to find that balance seeing that he is living it and somehow making it work.

Also biggie on the forums doing something similar as well.....

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 27th, 2010, 8:18 am

Lemme put it this way, if you find the right woman, anything is possible. Find the wrong one, and yuh will eat the bread the devil knead.

Reyos
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Reyos » October 27th, 2010, 8:20 am

^^ LOL....thats the truth!

foss
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby foss » October 27th, 2010, 8:25 am

OP, what ever you do. before you leave (if you decide to)

buy land anywhere you can and at least build up something.. some apartments etc... RENT them!
will be a worthwhile investment.

KarbonFiber
3NE 2NR for life

Postby KarbonFiber » October 27th, 2010, 8:27 am

Skanky wrote:Offshore is the worst when you out there working yet when you on land you miss it..go figure.

Anyway obviously being a young man you will have short,medium and long term goals which obviously should be the most important.
In the short/medium term you will need money to live,lime,to buy the fast cars...basically the life of a twentysomething so it's fine to work offshore then.
Long term though you'll want to settle down,get married and have children etc and 6 weeks away from the wifey and children not going to cut it.
You need to make the money you make now work for you by opening up some sort of sustainable business whereby though it may not be able to sustain the offshore lifestyle it will be able to accommodate the life of a family.

The problem most men have is taking a hit to their ego.They've grown accustomed to living a certain lifestyle and they're admired by friends and family so they can't bring themselves to make a change in their lifestyle.These are the same old men who you see working offshore now in their 60's and have no wife,family or children but living in a fabulous house,driving a bentley and lots of twentysomething girlfriends.

So you have to choose...do you want to be the fortysomething man with all the material possessions and no/unhappy family or the man with a family and maybe not as extravagant lifestyle?
I'm not saying you can't make the money that you make offshore on land but it is the transition period that is hard.

Skanky, long time bai. We didnt have it so bad in our field.
There are people who have been able to have a healthy balance working offshore.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » October 27th, 2010, 8:36 am

I didn't work offshore but worked at least 12 - 16 hours everyday in the field for three months, the overtime was good but as you said you miss out on life. What's the point of having all these material wealth if you have no one to share it with, I decided that it's not worth it. Life is too short to waste it by only working, work should provide you with the funds to enjoy life with the people you care about.
Last edited by shaneelal on October 27th, 2010, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 27th, 2010, 8:37 am

shaneelal wrote:I didn't work offshore but worked at least 12 hours everyday in the field for three months, the overtime was good but as you said you miss out on life. What's the point of having all these material wealth if you have no one to share it with, I decided that it's not worth it. Life is too short to waste it by only working, work should provide you with the funds to enjoy life with the people you care about.

LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then shut up.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 27th, 2010, 9:54 am

work offshore for abt 5-8 yrs to get sum experience, then move to another company where u can work on land....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”