Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » June 12th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Not bit locker as far as I know... It is a Seagate self encrypting drive with hardware to handle the encryption....full drive encryption (fde) hard drive
It is enabled by "embassy wave" software but the encryption is done via hardware

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 12th, 2018, 11:08 pm

iM@st@1 wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
and also get this for good measure.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SATA-Porta ... ve+adapter

what u guys recommend.??

Been using this since 2014 and it's still going strong. Anker makes some decent stuff.

nice man... does it work well on hard drives as well as optical drives - DVDRW / BRROM/ BRRW

did u order the model with or without the additional adapter.

if you ordered the model without the power adapter- where did u buy the required adapter ??

i read the power adapter output needs to be 12V 2A if u had to buy ur adapter, is ur power adapter the same??

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » June 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

skylinechild wrote:
iM@st@1 wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
and also get this for good measure.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SATA-Porta ... ve+adapter

what u guys recommend.??

Been using this since 2014 and it's still going strong. Anker makes some decent stuff.

nice man... does it work well on hard drives as well as optical drives - DVDRW / BRROM/ BRRW

did u order the model with or without the additional adapter.

if you ordered the model without the power adapter- where did u buy the required adapter ??

i read the power adapter output needs to be 12V 2A if u had to buy ur adapter, is ur power adapter the same??

Yea my model is the one with the power adapter (12v 2a)

I remember using an optical drive with it awhile back and it worked fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B ... UTF8&psc=1

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 14th, 2018, 8:46 pm

ok guys so i borrowed a cable matters docking station and used that to recover the files from the hard drive.

It worked perfectly.

highly recommend the docking station.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Witcher Gamers

Having an issue with this game where it would freeze on loading. I had installed some mods, however I uninstalled and removed all saves and still have the freezing issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 18th, 2018, 11:10 pm

So I was given the opportunity to put together a system for a client and the AMD vs Intel argument came up. After doing my research I ended up recommending Intel for a couple of reasons.
Reliability: AMD platform is an enthusiast platform, and enthusiasts are willing to jump through some hoops to get the most performance per dollar. Intel platform doesn't have those hoops, everything just works out of the box. Didn't have to guess which chipset works with what cpu, didn't need a bios update etc. My client wanted reliability above all else so no over clocking.

Faster single core performance: Intel has better single threaded performance and the software that is planned to be used works better with this configuration.

Cheaper overall platform costs: Intel CPUs do not require ultra fast ram or exotic cooling to overclock to perform. It still wears the single threaded performance crown, and still performs the best in gaming.

System comprises:
Intel Core i5 8400
Gigabyte B360m ds3h motherboard
16gb Crucial 2666mhz memory
860 Evo SSD 500gb

I must thank AMD for providing a product that can challenge Intel and the competition has forced Intel to respond with better products... But Intel still wins for performance out of the box

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 18th, 2018, 11:44 pm

kamakazi wrote:So I was given the opportunity to put together a system for a client and the AMD vs Intel argument came up. After doing my research I ended up recommending Intel for a couple of reasons.
Reliability: AMD platform is an enthusiast platform, and enthusiasts are willing to jump through some hoops to get the most performance per dollar. Intel platform doesn't have those hoops, everything just works out of the box. Didn't have to guess which chipset works with what cpu, didn't need a bios update etc. My client wanted reliability above all else so no over clocking.

Faster single core performance: Intel has better single threaded performance and the software that is planned to be used works better with this configuration.

Cheaper overall platform costs: Intel CPUs do not require ultra fast ram or exotic cooling to overclock to perform. It still wears the single threaded performance crown, and still performs the best in gaming.

System comprises:
Intel Core i5 8400
860 Evo SSD 500gb

I must thank AMD for providing a product that can challenge Intel and the competition has forced Intel to respond with better products... But Intel still wins for performance out of the box

Whats the cost on that combo?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 19th, 2018, 12:45 am

Core i5 8400 - $180 us
16gb Memory - $170 us
SSD - $130 us
Motherboard - $70 us
These prices do not include the VAT that is charged when purchasing.

I don't spend a lot on motherboards... Especially when there isn't much to be gained. No overclocking, stock cooling means that the board isn't stressed

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » June 20th, 2018, 11:17 am

kamakazi wrote:So I was given the opportunity to put together a system for a client and the AMD vs Intel argument came up. After doing my research I ended up recommending Intel for a couple of reasons.

System comprises:
Intel Core i5 8400
860 Evo SSD 500gb

https://youtu.be/RN-Txt-eC6s

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » June 20th, 2018, 12:44 pm

kamakazi wrote:1.) Intel platform doesn't have those hoops, everything just works out of the box.

2.) Didn't have to guess which chipset works with what cpu, didn't need a bios update etc. My client wanted reliability above all else so no over clocking.

3.) Cheaper overall platform costs: Intel CPUs do not require ultra fast ram or exotic cooling to overclock to perform. It still wears the single threaded performance crown, and still performs the best in gaming.

Disagree with the points you brought up kami.

1.) AMD works out of box, so I am not sure what you are referring to here.

2.) I mean you do need to choose the correct chipset for Intel 8th gen CPUs to work so I am not sure how that can be used against AMD when you have to do the same thing for Intel. Maybe the confusion stems from Ryzen 2nd generation which requires a bios update to work on the 1st gen motherboards (B350/X370). If you do not want to do bios updates, then you can get the 2nd gen motherboards (X470/up coming B450). However, you also have to do this for Intel platforms when you wanted to use a newer generation CPU on a older generation motherboard.

3.) The difference in price of memory between a 2666Mhz kit and a 3000/3200 is $5 on Newegg. A cheap B350 for AMD motherboard cost the same as B360 for Intel and can support memory speeds up to 3200 whereas the B360 chipset only supports up to 2666.

Do you know that the cooler than comes with the Ryzen 5 1600/2600/2600x is way better than what comes with the 8400? As a matter of fact, do you know that the stock cooler on the 8700 does not provide enough cooling for CPU intensive loads such that it causes the CPU to thermal throttle?

Regarding OC, there is very little headroom for OC on Ryzen so it is not even recommended on those chips.

As it is right now, I would only recommend the 8400 if you have atleast a GTX 1080 and plan to only game on the system. The reason I bring up the 1080 is because you need a strong GPU to see the differences between the 8400 and its Ryzen 5 counterpart except for a few titles which just favors Intel or prefer stronger IPC. Adobe applications also favor Intel strongly so that is another use case that I would recommend the 8400 for.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » June 20th, 2018, 12:47 pm

cryotec wrote:
kamakazi wrote:1.) Intel platform doesn't have those hoops, everything just works out of the box.

2.) Didn't have to guess which chipset works with what cpu, didn't need a bios update etc. My client wanted reliability above all else so no over clocking.

3.) Cheaper overall platform costs: Intel CPUs do not require ultra fast ram or exotic cooling to overclock to perform. It still wears the single threaded performance crown, and still performs the best in gaming.

Disagree with the points you brought up kami.

1.) AMD works out of box, so I am not sure what you are referring to here.

2.) I mean you do need to choose the correct chipset for Intel 8th gen CPUs to work so I am not sure how that can be used against AMD when you have to do the same thing for Intel. Maybe the confusion stems from Ryzen 2nd generation which requires a bios update to work on the 1st gen motherboards (B350/X370). If you do not want to do bios updates, then you can get the 2nd gen motherboards (X470/up coming B450). However, you also have to do this for Intel platforms when you wanted to use a newer generation CPU on a older generation motherboard.

3.) The difference in price of memory between a 2666Mhz kit and a 3000/3200 is $5 on Newegg. A cheap B350 for AMD motherboard cost the same as B360 for Intel and can support memory speeds up to 3200 whereas the B360 chipset only supports up to 2666.

Do you know that the cooler than comes with the Ryzen 5 1600/2600/2600x is way better than what comes with the 8400? As a matter of fact, do you know that the stock cooler on the 8700 does not provide enough cooling for CPU intensive loads such that it causes the CPU to thermal throttle?

Regarding OC, there is very little headroom for OC on Ryzen so it is not even recommended on those chips.

As it is right now, I would only recommend the 8400 if you have atleast a GTX 1080 and plan to only game on the system. The reason I bring up the 1080 is because you need a strong GPU to see the differences between the 8400 and its Ryzen 5 counterpart except for a few titles which just favors Intel or prefer stronger IPC. Adobe applications also favor Intel strongly so that is another use case that I would recommend the 8400 for.
Hmm nice points I kinda stuck atm between intel and amd..always was an intel user before and I'm thinking to trying amd..just the ryzen stories I'm hearing scaring meh

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » June 20th, 2018, 1:07 pm

urbandilema wrote:Hmm nice points I kinda stuck atm between intel and amd..always was an intel user before and I'm thinking to trying amd..just the ryzen stories I'm hearing scaring meh

What is your use case and budget like? If you are not in a hurry, then you could wait it out for 1 more year because Intel's 8 core is rumored to come out later this year and Ryzen 3000 / Zen 2 is coming out next year with 7nm tech. Nvidia is also expected to release their new GPUs soontm

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 20th, 2018, 11:13 pm

@cryotec
Wrote a long reply but it didn't save so this is the condensed version.

I don't have to worry about whether my b350 board works with the newest ryzen CPU I bought cause with Intel, select chip and the corresponding chipset/s and you are sorted. The only chipset guranteed to work with latest AMD CPUs are x470 at the moment... Hence the cheaper Intel platform costs as x470 boards are more expensive... But this Will change when b450 is released.

Slower memory speeds affect ryzen more than coffeelake

Amd Coolers are better but unnecessary for the CPU chosen as the box cooler can keep the 8400 cool and I'm not overclocking it.

Ryzen 5 counterpart to the 8400 is more expensive

Finally end user utilizes software that is not multi threaded optimised, hence more gains to be had from IPC over more cores (real or virtual)

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 21st, 2018, 3:46 pm

ok guys so i got my docking station today.

works perfectly..... it can interface with SATA 1/2/3 drives without any issues as well as backward compatible.

its a bit small....and it's made of plastic but it doesnt feel like cheap plastic.

only time will tell how long it lasts.

i would like to try doing data recovery with it to see how long it holds up....

looking to buy another docking station as when doing repairs i almost always need to use it to retrieve files..
plus if one is in use i can work on another pc with another station.

so my choices

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay ... dpSrc=srch

OR THE ALUMINUM VERSION

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Aluminum ... ng+station

also looking at the sabrent models of docking station. seems theyre cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... ng+station

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » June 22nd, 2018, 9:14 am

I bought this one in 2015
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LF ... UTF8&psc=1

works great

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 22nd, 2018, 6:36 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I bought this one in 2015
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LF ... UTF8&psc=1

works great

looks good duane...

the cable matters one i bought does its thing but i say lemme go ahead an buy another cause i donr want to be limited by just one docking station.

plus havin a hardware based clone feature is nice too

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » June 24th, 2018, 4:46 pm

NEED HELP PUBG NOT RUNNING ON MY PC.

CRASHING ON STARTUP.
i5-630 CPU
6GB OF RAM
RX 460 4GB.

I BELIEVE I MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

ALREADY TRIED SOME FIXES, NOTHING WORKS.

COME HERE AS A LAST RESORT

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » June 24th, 2018, 6:35 pm

instantfrugality wrote:NEED HELP PUBG NOT RUNNING ON MY PC.

CRASHING ON STARTUP.
i5-630 CPU
6GB OF RAM
RX 460 4GB.

1.verify game cache
games library>right click pubg>properties>local files>verify integrity of game files
2.update graphics driver
3.if you have any overclocks try turning it off and then running it
4.check your temps

pubg is grueling on lower end hardware it could also be that the processor just can't handle it you would have to turn everything down to low to get a remotely playable fps

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » June 24th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Spitfir3 wrote:
instantfrugality wrote:NEED HELP PUBG NOT RUNNING ON MY PC.

CRASHING ON STARTUP.
i5-630 CPU
6GB OF RAM
RX 460 4GB.

1.verify game cache
games library>right click pubg>properties>local files>verify integrity of game files
2.update graphics driver
3.if you have any overclocks try turning it off and then running it
4.check your temps

pubg is grueling on lower end hardware it could also be that the processor just can't handle it you would have to turn everything down to low to get a remotely playable fps

already did all those things you mentioned. as for the temps the cpu is running normal temps, the game not even reaching the start screen and no overclocks on cpu or gpu

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » June 30th, 2018, 8:50 pm

well in running PUBG on my gaming laptop, runs smoothly.
but seriously though does everyone cheat on PUBG?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 8th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Tuners, I am looking to build something and will be needing some waterblocks and heatsinks. Are these sold locally?

I was looking at something like this for heat dissipation but cant figure what carries the heat to the sinks if its just those solid copper pipes or if there is some kind of liquid in it. Cant see any pump of any sort.

its not for cpu cooling.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby nick639v2 » July 8th, 2018, 8:45 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Tuners, I am looking to build something and will be needing some waterblocks and heatsinks. Are these sold locally?

I was looking at something like this for heat dissipation but cant figure what carries the heat to the sinks if its just those solid copper pipes or if there is some kind of liquid in it. Cant see any pump of any sort.

its not for cpu cooling.

Usually it's water or alcohol/argon mix and straight capillary action heat transfer from the flat surface area at the bottom to the connected aluminium fins

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 8th, 2018, 8:53 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Tuners, I am looking to build something and will be needing some waterblocks and heatsinks. Are these sold locally?

its not for cpu cooling.
The heatpipes are hollow and usually contain a liquid that vaporises easily, like alcohol.
First heat is conducted into the base where it causes the liquid to evaporate inside the pipes, after which it condenses on a cooler part of the pipe where it conducts heat into the fin array.

The cooler you are looking is a 92mm Arctic cooling unit. Note that the fins are pressed on; I believe that some coolers have them soldered on but I could be wrong here
I believe that the base also has the heatpipes exposed in the final finishing process so that the heatpipes can be used to conduct heat directly

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 8th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Ahhhh, I see.

Well I happen to have a few peltier laying around and wanted to try a build that I saw. Its for a cooling system..

Which would you recommend for heat dissipation?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 9th, 2018, 12:54 am

Forgot to mention that liquid is returned to the warm side of the heat pipes by capillary action.

Not sure exactly how much heat we are dealing with and what exactly it is going to be used for... So I'm just going to recommend the bang for the buck options and some of the big air coolers (I know very little about aio liquid coolers and their efficiencies.
Cooler master hyper 212 and Cryorig are available from Wizz computers
Other huge coolers online are
Thermalright macho
Noctua nhu14
Noctua nhd15

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 9th, 2018, 7:34 am

nervewrecker wrote:Ahhhh, I see.

Well I happen to have a few peltier laying around and wanted to try a build that I saw. Its for a cooling system..

what you planing on cooling nerve ?

you can get the liquid reservoir and pump to buy amazon for it.
the reservoir and pump should be too expensive just remember copper is better than aluminum but aluminum is cheaper.

you can get 140 mm fans on the cheap from amazon. that would dissipate the heat from the heatsinks to the surroundings.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 9th, 2018, 7:34 am

Thanks, I will look in to em.

Seems its not much heat as I seen someone use a small cpu heatsink and a fan to dissipate heat so this is overkill in every way.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 9th, 2018, 7:42 am

skylinechild wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Ahhhh, I see.

what you planing on cooling nerve ?

you can get the liquid reservoir and pump to buy amazon for it.
the reservoir and pump should be too expensive just remember copper is better than aluminum but aluminum is cheaper.

you can get 140 mm fans on the cheap from amazon. that would dissipate the heat from the heatsinks to the surroundings.
This is just a trial.

Wanna see if they can cool my home security system.

Didnt opt for the liquid cooling systems off amazon as they have enough surface contact area for a chip. I do have waterblocks, heatsinks, radiator and pump in my cart.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 9th, 2018, 7:51 am

nervewrecker wrote:This is just a trial.

Wanna see if they can cool my home security system.

Didnt opt for the liquid cooling systems off amazon as they have enough surface contact area for a chip. I do have waterblocks, heatsinks, radiator and pump in my cart.

yes it will work.... but the questions will be :-
1 where u going to mount the heatsinks - onto which chips??
2.how are those heat sinks going to be secured onto the chips ??

for your DVR i'd recommend an air system actually.
reason is
1. there is no possible way for you to secure the heatsinks properly onto the various chips

1.a if you do have OEM heat sinks in place and you swap them out for hollow heat sinks ( hollow cause liquid) you may have to modify your heatsinks to fit in the spot allocated for the original one. - trim / cutting the heat sink may run u in some trouble also securing it will be an issue.

2 you'll hav to build something to hold the entire assembly together.
pump - reservoir - tubing. - this isnt really an issue as i kno u hav skills.

the best option i can give you is remove your DVR cover....and modify it to accept some fans....
and run those fans with a regular 12V 1 or 2A adapter.

you can also take the cover of the DVR and remove most of the metal essentially leaving you with a frame with screw holes and wire mesh the entire cover...and screw the fans onto the wire mesh...

or simply get a sheet of wire mesh 2D max auto has - and make a new cover for your DVR.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 9th, 2018, 8:14 am

I want to put the home security system in a cabinet and add some cooling to it.

The peltiers will have a water block mounted to each side (multiple chips to one block, 4 to be exact), a 12v pump to each water block, a radiator for each side and fans on each radiator. The hot side mounted outside the cabinet for heat rejection and the radiator from the cold side mounted inside the cabinet with the fans blowing cold air inside it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”