Forums

Which Credit Card Would give you best returns/points

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Which Credit Card Would give you best returns/points

Postby Premera » June 28th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Ok, so i'm looking to change my current cards and looking to get the best returns/points for my monies spent. I do alot of payments with my C.Cards annually so i really want to " get back " as much points towards airline tickets etc etc

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Which Credit Card Would give you best returns/points

Postby X_Factor » June 28th, 2010, 5:30 pm

go with someone who offers miles than points

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 28th, 2010, 6:10 pm

miles........rbtt

*Nebula*
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby *Nebula* » June 28th, 2010, 6:43 pm

RBTT for the flyer miles, also they are reliable.. *knock on wood*

foss
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby foss » June 28th, 2010, 7:06 pm

x2 on rbtt.. caribbean airline miles

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » June 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm

UTC - PrePaid ftw
But yeah my RBTT is cool too

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » June 28th, 2010, 8:12 pm

wha bout republic ???? they have so many different types of C. Cards

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » June 28th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Republic always robbing me, today I deposited 600 and only 500 went in, when I went back they said "oops all fixed now" THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME, next time is 1lesscostumer

rossi
punchin NOS

Postby rossi » June 28th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Well, I would say the actual use of the card would determine that eh but I've been with RBTT for a good while and they're good so far. I take points over miles.

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » June 28th, 2010, 8:46 pm

i get point certificates with republic mastercard. the visa gives u miles, and then there's the visa with tstt benefits and a set of stuff. never had credit card issues with them so far and been using since '06

Lich King

Postby Lich King » June 28th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Premera wrote:Ok, so i'm looking to change my current cards and looking to get the best returns/points for my monies spent. I do alot of payments with my C.Cards annually so i really want to " get back " as much points towards airline tickets etc etc

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It really depends on what airline you prefer, or rather which one goes to more of your travel destinations. If you want Caribbean Airlines then go with RBTT, if you want AA then Republic has an AA mastercard and I think Scotia has one too.

Other than that you could get a regular Republic credit card and redeem the points at certain travel agencies same way you redeem miles except this way you have the flexibility of using the points on flights with any airline as well as other stuff.

In the end it works out to be like the same value for money either way, miles or points. The Republic super bonus points can't be redeemed for travel though because they are store specific but come in handy if you buy household appliances from one of the supported merchants. What you might want to check out is if there is a miles equivalent to super bonus points like recurring specials not just an introductory offer where they start you off with a certain amount of free miles.

*Nebula*
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby *Nebula* » June 28th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Very good info Lich King, I must admit though, I had the worse experience with RBL credit cards...

*hint* when applying for a credit card, do not request a credit limit that exceeds your monthly salary, even if they insist in increasing the limit.

Lich King

Postby Lich King » June 28th, 2010, 11:29 pm

*Nebula* wrote:Very good info Lich King, I must admit though, I had the worse experience with RBL credit cards...

*hint* when applying for a credit card, do not request a credit limit that exceeds your monthly salary, even if they insist in increasing the limit.

Well everyone has their individual bad experiences and mine were with Scotia. :D
It was really embarrassing what happened with Scotia, multiple times ready to cash for groceries and bam card declined, lol. It's looks bad having to leave half your groceries because your credit card failed multiple times for no valid reason. That was a long time ago, I suppose things are better now. The great thing is at the end of the year when you go to the bank and say "cancel my credit card I'm going to a bank that works" they might try to give you some free stuff to keep you. :)

Kittles
Ricer

Postby Kittles » June 29th, 2010, 8:04 am

*Nebula* wrote:Very good info Lich King, I must admit though, I had the worse experience with RBL credit cards...

only if u cant control your spending.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » June 29th, 2010, 8:14 am

had experience where RBL Visa was not recognized in some stores away.

do all VISA cards originating from Trinidad experience this problem or just the RBL VISA card?

shelnew2tuner
Riding on 13's

Postby shelnew2tuner » June 29th, 2010, 11:05 am

Republic Bank adds late fee charges, whether you pay before or after the payment date. They always have some stupid excuse to why the charges are applied. So be careful with your payments if you choose RBL.

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » June 29th, 2010, 11:39 am

I always had a habit of having more than one Credit Card. Nothing would be more annoying than traveling thousands of miles away from home to be denied due to some stupid problem on their part.

Lich King

Postby Lich King » June 29th, 2010, 11:47 am

16 cycles wrote:had experience where RBL Visa was not recognized in some stores away.

do all VISA cards originating from Trinidad experience this problem or just the RBL VISA card?
I'm not entirely sure how it works but I believe the bank that issued the card is half the problem, it also depends on the bank the store uses to handle the transactions. For example, a few times my RBL card didn't work on the first try, the one thing common between all the failed tries regardless of when or where it happened was the receipt printout with the transaction error had RBTT logo on it. If my idea is correct then it means you might have card failures that appear sporadic and random regardless of what bank issued the card. Personally I never had any issues with RBL or RBTT cards in foreign countries.

Honestly though if RBL cards embarrassing you in foreign countries I highly suggest you switch to another bank :lol: you should not have to put up with them if you're getting poor service.

shelnew2tuner wrote:Republic Bank adds late fee charges, whether you pay before or after the payment date. They always have some stupid excuse to why the charges are applied. So be careful with your payments if you choose RBL.
Yes I agree, they catch me a few times with that and they always have a convoluted reason as to why the charges came up. My advice is never pay just the minimum amount on the bill, that's just bait that somehow ends up compounding penalty charges forever until you pay the full amount.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » June 29th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Scotia Bank is the best bank period. CC, Loans, friendliness, customer focussed - thumbs up for me

TheOne
Street 2NR

Postby TheOne » June 29th, 2010, 2:03 pm

I have used the FCB Credit Card for sometime now and I never had any problems no matter which country I travelled to.

The point benefits aren't that great though (IMO) but very reliable.

I have noticed that in the UK however they stopped using the swipe method for cards...all their machines are only equipped for the "chip and pin" system...

This is a bit of a bummer!!

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » June 29th, 2010, 2:11 pm

what is chip and pin ?

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » June 29th, 2010, 2:19 pm

foss wrote:x2 on rbtt.. caribbean airline miles

Seriously? CA miles?
Save yourself and get a Republic AA card.
Caribbean airlines taxes are half the price of the ticket..you dont end up saving much.

Republic bank's service by far sucks the most. Transactions in the UK are sometimes double posted(i.e. twice the money taken out) and doesn't revert to normal for a few weeks.
Actually had a situation where over $2,000usd was compromised off my card, and the bank didn't 'understand' when i told them I didn't spend the money. Took them a month to sort it out.

They always magically 'calculate' interest wrong, and then auto adjust a few months later..to their benefit.
The only advantage with that bank is when you transfer money online, it's credited to the Card immediately, vs 24 hours for other banks. It's the only bank that does this in trinidad AFAIK.

Scotia is great for lending. I got an unsecured card from them already, vs having to put money down on republic to hold a while back.

Best rewards cards are probably the Republic TSTT visa, or if you travel the American Airlines Mastercard(Gold).
Last edited by crazychinee on June 29th, 2010, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » June 29th, 2010, 2:20 pm

I have noticed that in the UK however they stopped using the swipe method for cards...all their machines are only equipped for the "chip and pin" system...

Doesn't affect your purchase. You just need to show ID and sign.

V2NR 3.0 wrote:what is chip and pin ?

System available in the UK only as far as I know. No need to sign, swipe and give PIN and you safe. More convenient if you ask me.

TheOne
Street 2NR

Postby TheOne » June 29th, 2010, 2:37 pm

V2NR 3.0 wrote:what is chip and pin ?

System available in the UK only as far as I know. No need to sign, swipe and give PIN and you safe. More convenient if you ask me.[/quote]

Yup, there is an actual exposed chip which is embedded on the card that is used when processing the payment.

No need to sign....good system, but I went to a particular store in England and attempted to use my ccard but they told me that my card could not be used because it did not have the chip.... :cry:

rodfarva
Riding on 17's

Postby rodfarva » June 29th, 2010, 3:11 pm

noshownogo wrote:I always had a habit of having more than one Credit Card. Nothing would be more annoying than traveling thousands of miles away from home to be denied due to some stupid problem on their part.

x2

actually, some republic bank International CCs have to be authorized over the phone at places like Best Buy

rodfarva
Riding on 17's

Postby rodfarva » June 29th, 2010, 3:14 pm

TheOne wrote:Yup, there is an actual exposed chip which is embedded on the card that is used when processing the payment.

No need to sign....good system, but I went to a particular store in England and attempted to use my ccard but they told me that my card could not be used because it did not have the chip.... :cry:

chip & pin is currently being implemented in trinidad. however, i understand you will still have to sign receipts

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » June 29th, 2010, 3:26 pm

rodfarva wrote:
noshownogo wrote:I always had a habit of having more than one Credit Card. Nothing would be more annoying than traveling thousands of miles away from home to be denied due to some stupid problem on their part.

x2

actually, some republic bank International CCs have to be authorized over the phone at places like Best Buy

Happened to me a few times as well, kind of irritating. Only happened to me in one store in the UK..never in the US.

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » June 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm

rodfarva wrote:
TheOne wrote:Yup, there is an actual exposed chip which is embedded on the card that is used when processing the payment.

chip & pin is currently being implemented in trinidad. however, i understand you will still have to sign receipts

RFID theft becoming a big thing now with those types of cards. They actually selling special wallets to protect you from being 'scanned'.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » June 29th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Scotia Platinum Aero....you can use the miles on any airline

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » June 29th, 2010, 4:42 pm

So why not just get a normal cc and use the points if you so desire to buy a ticket?That way you still have the option to use the points otherwise.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”