Forums

Which Credit Card Would give you best returns/points

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Which Credit Card Would give you best returns/points

Postby Dave » January 6th, 2021, 5:53 pm

I think it is standard all offer some reward scheme or the other. Typically visa gives cash back and Master usually miles.
Rbl visa no longer gives you a bonus points cheque but now gives a credit applied to your credit card directly.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm

RBL
Gladiator wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:So where my rewards does go?
I does pay mine in full by mid month right thru?

I never get no points or rewards
WTH

Which bank is this bro... you need to call them ASAP

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Hmmmm

I got 3 lil cheque thingy a while ago
Never used them
Dave wrote:I think it is standard all offer some reward scheme or the other. Typically visa gives cash back and Master usually miles.
Rbl visa no longer gives you a bonus points cheque but now gives a credit applied to your credit card directly.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 6th, 2021, 6:54 pm

FCB Visa also shifted from points to cash back credited to the account in Nov 2020.
Dave wrote:I think it is standard all offer some reward scheme or the other. Typically visa gives cash back and Master usually miles.

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » January 6th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
dogg wrote:I dunno man, I've had had a credit card for ~20 years. Always paid in full monthly. Points/cashback covers the annual fees plus i end up with a couple thousand extra cashback annually. This is from normal day to day living expenses.

However, If you can't budget properly or control your spending, you will get badly burnt with a credit card. If you have poor spending habits a credit card definitely isn't for you.

Rockram wrote:A credit card and it's rewards can be very rewarding if the holder in financially wise.

My credit card rewards for 2020 was $4600.00 cash back... $0 dollars interest paid and $300 annual fee.

To put that in perspective the total interest I received form cash parked in banks and UTC combined was less than this.

You gents mind sharing what card you have and which bank?

Scotia Mastercard Gold (previously the pricesmart sponsored one)

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 6th, 2021, 7:44 pm

zoom rader wrote:
dogg wrote:I dunno man, I've had had a credit card for ~20 years. Always paid in full monthly. Points/cashback covers the annual fees plus i end up with a couple thousand extra cashback annually. This is from normal day to day living expenses.

However, If you can't budget properly or control your spending, you will get badly burnt with a credit card. If you have poor spending habits a credit card definitely isn't for you.

zoom rader wrote:What a load of idiots

The best credit card is no credit card.

You fools spend thousands just to get a pittance of points.

Psychology of credit card use have you idiots broke

You are probably the 0.001% thats has control over it.

I have not used or owned a credit Card for the past 12 years . I am much betrer off without it.

Linx ? What other options are there for online shopping or traveling ? Good that you found alternatives

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 6th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Master card is bs...always go for a Visa card..

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 6th, 2021, 9:14 pm

A master can work good also. I haven't paid to go to the USA in the last 8yrs.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » January 6th, 2021, 10:55 pm

wtf wrote:Master card is bs...always go for a Visa card..

lol they're basically the same bro

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 7th, 2021, 6:23 am

Rockram wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

Rockram wrote:A credit card and it's rewards can be very rewarding if the holder in financially wise.

My credit card rewards for 2020 was $4600.00 cash back... $0 dollars interest paid and $300 annual fee.

To put that in perspective the total interest I received form cash parked in banks and UTC combined was less than this.

You gents mind sharing what card you have and which bank?

Scotia Mastercard Gold (previously the pricesmart sponsored one)

Lawd. All banks are sheit eh, but Scotia turned me off long time..and isn't their limit much smaller than the others? Thanks for the reply though.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 7th, 2021, 10:45 am

Dohplaydat wrote:
wtf wrote:Master card is bs...always go for a Visa card..

lol they're basically the same bro
Master Card doesn't allow you to withdraw funds from paypal or other platforms..
Hence the reason why I said go with a Visa.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » January 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Do you borrow a credit card for online purchases?

zoom rader wrote:

I have not used or owned a credit Card for the past 12 years . I am much betrer off without it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm

dogg wrote:Do you borrow a credit card for online purchases?

zoom rader wrote:

I got a UK debit card that I use, but rarely do I use it . I refuse to pay a tax on tax.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » March 26th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Tuners Good Night,
Not sure if this is the applicable forum, but seeing as its one of the more informative and recently active ones, I figure I'd ask anyway.

I recently got a new job (2 yr contract) and coming up on my 1 year work anniversary in a couple months. Salary is decent, but I have 0 credit history (bought my car cash, only had an FCB Prepaid MC for amazon etc). I'm trying to figure out which bank would approve me for a CC with my current position seeing as I have like 15 months remaining in a 2 year contract and 0 credit history. I have no problem in doing a security deposit and starting off with a secured credit card as well. Just trying to figure out from my list below which would be the best suited based on your experiences.

I have items to use as collateral needed; bank acc savings & my car being the highest value. I'm not particularly concerned with points, rewards, cash back etc. nor do I need an exorbitant limit. I'm mostly looking for a basic card to run regular budgeted expenses through like gas, groceries and bills to pay off in full and build my credit history. Also, it helps if the said institution periodically increases the limit available automatically from time to time, but it isn't necessary (I know some family members with FCB and RBL get that)

So far I've been eyeing the basic cards from each bank:
- FCB Visa Classic
- RBL International Visa / MC OR the AAdvantage MC
- Scotia MasterCard / No Fee Visa Classic
- RBC VIsa Classic

I have bank account with each bank and a lil dust in each so the banking history is there.

Any help would be appreciated!

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » March 26th, 2021, 10:42 pm

whiterose868 wrote:Tuners Good Night,
Not sure if this is the applicable forum, but seeing as its one of the more informative and recently active ones, I figure I'd ask anyway.

I recently got a new job (2 yr contract) and coming up on my 1 year work anniversary in a couple months. Salary is decent, but I have 0 credit history (bought my car cash, only had an FCB Prepaid MC for amazon etc). I'm trying to figure out which bank would approve me for a CC with my current position seeing as I have like 15 months remaining in a 2 year contract and 0 credit history. I have no problem in doing a security deposit and starting off with a secured credit card as well. Just trying to figure out from my list below which would be the best suited based on your experiences.

I have items to use as collateral needed; bank acc savings & my car being the highest value. I'm not particularly concerned with points, rewards, cash back etc. nor do I need an exorbitant limit. I'm mostly looking for a basic card to run regular budgeted expenses through like gas, groceries and bills to pay off in full and build my credit history. Also, it helps if the said institution periodically increases the limit available automatically from time to time, but it isn't necessary (I know some family members with FCB and RBL get that)

- FCB Visa Classic
- RBC VIsa Classic

I have bank account with each bank and a lil dust in each so the banking history is there.

Never take a Mastercard. Go with the FCB visa.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » March 26th, 2021, 11:03 pm

wtf wrote:

- FCB Visa Classic
- RBC VIsa Classic

Never take a Mastercard. Go with the FCB visa.

Thanks!
Any particular reason to avoid MasterCard? Other than what was said a few posts previously about not being able to cash out on PayPal etc? Because that doesn’t really affect me / my decision atm.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 26th, 2021, 11:33 pm

FCB Infinite

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » March 27th, 2021, 8:50 am

- FCB Visa Classic
- RBC VIsa Classic

My wife was in the same situation last year. She is on 1 year contracts and no credit history. We approached a few banks and none were willing to give a loan or credit card because its her first time and the instability of the job market caused by covid. We were able to obtain a loan at Venture Credit Union for her with me signing as security. Her current contract had 6 months remaining so they gave her the loan for that 6 month period. She was advised that once this loan is paid off and she gets her new 1 year contract, she can come in and take another loan on her own for the 1 yr duration and thus build her credit rating that way.

If you do want a credit card, you can check the banks an see if they will give u a card if it is fully secured. Remember having a credit card takes discipline as well.

Another option to build a credit history is to take out items on credit at courts/standards etc. You can look into this too.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » October 26th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Good night,
Figured I’d give an update. I went around to each bank asking the qualifying salaries and minimum working periods. Scotia and Republic were my best options here.

It was between the Republic Aadvantage Mastercard and the Scotia Aero Platinum. Did an enquiry online via email and got pre-approval for both cards about 2 days later. RBL gave me $1000usd / $7000tt. Scotia gave me about $3000usd / $20800tt. Ended up going with the Scotia Aero Platinum. Will probably take the Republic Aadvantage at a later date as a backup / emergency card.

All in all I think COVID worked in my favour here lol everybody buying online and getting deliveries etc which mandates having a visa or Mastercard. Banks were (I’m assuming) all too willing to give credit to customers and so they approved me.

Also as a side note, buying things for people and then letting them pay me back in cash has already let me score enough Scotia points for a round trip ticket to the US. This is excluding the bonus points I am supposed to get at the end of the promo period in December.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » October 26th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I have 250 USD on my credit card limit...

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » October 26th, 2021, 8:06 pm

whiterose868 wrote:Good night,
Figured I’d give an update. I went around to each bank asking the qualifying salaries and minimum working periods. Scotia and Republic were my best options here.

It was between the Republic Aadvantage Mastercard and the Scotia Aero Platinum. Did an enquiry online via email and got pre-approval for both cards about 2 days later. RBL gave me $1000usd / $7000tt. Scotia gave me about $3000usd / $20800tt. Ended up going with the Scotia Aero Platinum. Will probably take the Republic Aadvantage at a later date as a backup / emergency card.

All in all I think COVID worked in my favour here lol everybody buying online and getting deliveries etc which mandates having a visa or Mastercard. Banks were (I’m assuming) all too willing to give credit to customers and so they approved me.

Also as a side note, buying things for people and then letting them pay me back in cash has already let me score enough Scotia points for a round trip ticket to the US. This is excluding the bonus points I am supposed to get at the end of the promo period in December.

Scotia gives out aero cards like dinner mints . You have control but I hope people don’t bite chain up by how you got through .

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » October 26th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Kenjo wrote:

Scotia gives out aero cards like dinner mints . You have control but I hope people don’t bite chain up by how you got through .

And here I was thinking Scotia was the playing the fool and that RBL had the better packages..interesting.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » October 27th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Kenjo wrote:

I realized this. They also seem very generous with credit limit increases etc which is what I am banking on.
As someone before me was saying, I thought RBL would have been the better option but I assume they are more conservative with risk taking.

Either way, glad I GT and I hope others who looking for CC can find some value in the post

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » October 27th, 2021, 5:41 pm

if u mean usd limit increase scotia monthly limit is $3000 usd for all cards

only exception in the premium card with 10k limit

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » October 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm

whiterose868 wrote:
Kenjo wrote:

I realized this. They also seem very generous with credit limit increases etc which is what I am banking on.
As someone before me was saying, I thought RBL would have been the better option but I assume they are more conservative with risk taking.

Either way, glad I GT and I hope others who looking for CC can find some value in the post

Do you have a better relationship with Scotia vs RBL?

Never had an issue with RBL but they handle everything for me.

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » October 29th, 2021, 9:35 pm

How long after you submit a credit card application to first citizens credit card Centre do you get the card?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » October 29th, 2021, 10:26 pm

Mmoney607 wrote:How long after you submit a credit card application to first citizens credit card Centre do you get the card?

They’re very backlogged and your application often gets lost and misplaced. How do I know ? Went through that about a month ago. I suggest you call to make sure they received the application or else you might be waiting in vain. Just to be safe.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » November 4th, 2021, 11:42 pm

A172 wrote:if u mean usd limit increase scotia monthly limit is $3000 usd for all cards

only exception in the premium card with 10k limit

yea I'm aware. I just meant the overall credit limit in TTD. I don't plan to spend more than 3000USD per billing cycle anyway. All that I have going through that these days are some basic online subs that run me about 30USD if so much plus the occasional amazon and Walmart purchases.

whiterose868
Riding on 13's

Postby whiterose868 » November 4th, 2021, 11:44 pm

S_2NR wrote:
whiterose868 wrote:
Kenjo wrote:

Do you have a better relationship with Scotia vs RBL?

Never had an issue with RBL but they handle everything for me.

I'd say the relationship is about the same honestly. Scotia savings account was opened about 4 months before RBL savings was open. Both have roughly the same amount in it. My salary doesn't go to either one of those. I've gotten some confirmation from bank employees that Scotia is more lenient with credit than Republic though hence the bigger limit and platinum card from the get go.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » December 21st, 2022, 2:30 pm

Is there a daily limit on RBL credit cards? I need to pay for something that costs ~$30,000TT. The balance is available on the card.

Can I pay it all at once or would I need to go in over a few days. The bank was no help really, they said to "try it and see if it works".

FYI they did say the daily limit on DEBIT cards is $7,000.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”