TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

What the Best Split level AC Units...Carrier LG, Panasonic?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: What the Best Split level AC Units...Carrier LG, Panasonic?

Postby Rovin » August 25th, 2020, 11:56 am

days b4 d lockdown in march my living room continental 18k we bought from abc 10yr ago conked out & i replaced it with a 12k innovair , 18k we had b4 was a lil over size but we got it on sale at d time

this modern 12k cools jes as good, i usually keep my temp 25-26c & fan speed about half, its super quiet , only when d place very quiet like after midnight if u listen good u will hear it, i instantly notice i was using less volume on d tv compared to d old unit ...

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 26th, 2020, 8:00 pm

warrenc_alexis wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Yea, so we handling heavy equipment tooImage

Hey I sent you a WhatsApp message last night about two units.
Trying to figure who is who right now so I encouraging people so message with a name, what they desire and possibly a location.
Had two people in the same area and one sent a location. So when I call the number with the location for the site visit that person said they called someone else to do the job but I had just spoken to the client 5 minutes ago.
So both got mixed up.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 6th, 2020, 5:27 am

anyone ever feel to take a sledge hammer or an axe to sheit when it does just give trouble or doesnt work right. my blasted ac making a buzzing noise when the compressor trying to come on and no cold breeze. whole blasted night is just the fan working and it have a smell to the fan air coming out of the ac. anyone have experience with steve an associates? i seeing they have a lennox 18000 for $4000 installed. i knw they have a big building in curepe but i have zero experience with them so idk if they are professional or i have to run them down for after sale.

Supra GT-FOUR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Supra GT-FOUR » September 6th, 2020, 5:40 am

screwbash wrote:anyone ever feel to take a sledge hammer or an axe to sheit when it does just give trouble or doesnt work right. my blasted ac making a buzzing noise when the compressor trying to come on and no cold breeze. whole blasted night is just the fan working and it have a smell to the fan air coming out of the ac. anyone have experience with steve an associates? i seeing they have a lennox 18000 for $4000 installed. i knw they have a big building in curepe but i have zero experience with them so idk if they are professional or i have to run them down for after sale.
Sounds like the contactor which feeds the compressor is faulty (this can explain the smell you are getting). Have you tried opening the unit?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 6th, 2020, 5:49 am

Supra GT-FOUR wrote:
screwbash wrote:anyone ever feel to take a sledge hammer or an axe to sheit when it does just give trouble or doesnt work right. my blasted ac making a buzzing noise when the compressor trying to come on and no cold breeze. whole blasted night is just the fan working and it have a smell to the fan air coming out of the ac. anyone have experience with steve an associates? i seeing they have a lennox 18000 for $4000 installed. i knw they have a big building in curepe but i have zero experience with them so idk if they are professional or i have to run them down for after sale.
Sounds like the contactor which feeds the compressor is faulty (this can explain the smell you are getting). Have you tried opening the unit?

is it safe to open? i can turn off the breaker but my concern is about the gas. idk anything about ac except to wash out the inside part and the drain off. i have a 12000 that is parked up can the contactor from the 12000 work in the 18000 ?

Supra GT-FOUR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Supra GT-FOUR » September 6th, 2020, 6:44 am

The contactor is part of the compressor control circuit. It has no interface with the refrigerant circuit(wires in wires out; no tubing). Once you turn off supply breaker or unplug the unit you should be safe.
With respect to the 12k and 18k you need to examine the specs on the contactor. They are rated according to motor horsepower/current carrying capacity. Hopefully if yours has not suffered a catastrophic failure (melting/labels being burnt) u may be able to acquire the data. If u are lucky they may be same size. A contactor for an 18k can definitely work on a 12k. Also confirm the coil operating voltage.
If you have reservations then you should leave it to the professionals.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 6th, 2020, 6:51 am

Supra GT-FOUR wrote:The contactor is part of the compressor control circuit. It has no interface with the refrigerant circuit(wires in wires out; no tubing). Once you turn off supply breaker or unplug the unit you should be safe.
With respect to the 12k and 18k you need to examine the specs on the contactor. They are rated according to motor horsepower/current carrying capacity. Hopefully if yours has not suffered a catastrophic failure (melting/labels being burnt) u may be able to acquire the data. If u are lucky they may be same size. A contactor for an 18k can definitely work on a 12k. Also confirm the coil operating voltage.
If you have reservations then you should leave it to the professionals.

will try it later today. thanks

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 6th, 2020, 12:52 pm

i not seeing where this is located. i opened the top and seeing the capacitor , something black such as what a fan does have to kick start the motor and so other little things joining the wiring. below that is the compressor and to the side is the fan.

jehusaunders
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jehusaunders » September 6th, 2020, 12:59 pm

The capacitor is most likely the problem. 12000 and 18000 btu units typically won’t have a contactor. It’s not recommended to change a capacitor on your own unless you know what you doing. It can result in electrocution.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm

look i give up on this yes. i will see if i get a new one installed tomorrow.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 7th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Any other brand offers a 120v 12000BTU spilt unit?

I've bought a Peake's unit before but they are currently out of stock.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 7th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Lance wrote:Any other brand offers a 120v 12000BTU spilt unit?

I've bought a Peake's unit before but they are currently out of stock.
Try pricesmart but most likely you will get a window unit

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 7th, 2020, 8:10 pm

screwbash wrote:look i give up on this yes. i will see if i get a new one installed tomorrow.
$30 or $35uf 440v cap dude.
Could be burnt out wire as well. You loosing a phase.

Older 12 and 18's had contactors. Now they use relays to take the load.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » September 8th, 2020, 2:16 am

ac men or electricians out there, if i have to install multiple ac units each one has to be on a separate breaker or can i have one breaker controlling all ? the panel box might take one more double breaker but after that idk.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » September 8th, 2020, 2:40 am

[quote="daring dragoon"]ac men or electricians out there, if i have to install multiple ac units each one has to be on a separate breaker or can i have one breaker controlling all ? the panel box might take one more double breaker but after that idk.[/quote

Number of units?
Size of units?
Size of electrical cable for building?
Building load?

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » September 8th, 2020, 2:55 am

right now there is one 18000 and i want to put up two more 18000. the current one run some years ago and it looking like 1.5 or 2.5 ecc wire. the armored cable to in the building is not an issue as the thing think like my wrist as it was an 'end' from an industrial installation. the ac on a breaker an separate breaker for water heater, dryer, front gate.can i just share the current from the 1 ac with 2 more units or do i need a breaker each ?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 8th, 2020, 6:16 am

'Trane' any good?

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » September 22nd, 2020, 10:34 am

Anyone have New Lennox or Daiken 12,000 BTU split units units available , if so cost of installation.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 22nd, 2020, 10:51 am

What would be a good protection to put on an a/c unit? We've been getting low voltage in the penal area over the last week and last night my living room unit cut off for a few mins then came back on I assume because of low voltage. I have one of the excelline voltage protection on that unit.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 22nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Musical Doc wrote:What would be a good protection to put on an a/c unit? We've been getting low voltage in the penal area over the last week and last night my living room unit cut off for a few mins then came back on I assume because of low voltage. I have one of the excelline voltage protection on that unit.

Id strongly recommend a contactor installed and a voltage monitor. Smaller dips won't affect the control circuitry as it dont take much effort to keep running when in motion, I saw 220V systems power up on 110V already.

The voltage monitor on the load circuit will shut down your load circuit and not allow it to power up with a set time delay once the voltage dips below a set amount.

With control circuits not experiencing enough of a dip to shut off the lad circuit may slow down and try to ramp back up with an increased draw on the mains.

Its like a trolly fullof goods in motion and you stop using it for a few seconds but run back into it at full speed to get it back up to the speed it was before. the effort you will have to put in may damage you.

Consult with your installer first because some companies want to void warranty saying you interfere with the electrical and the electronics in the system so they voiding it. I went ahead and did it either way despite what they tell me, they have to prove installing a contactor damage the unit before they dishonor any warranty claims. Relays keep failing on units and they remain silent on the issue, instead they opt to sell you a new relay for the board. Wont call the brand or name of the company.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 22nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

INDAVID WORKSHOP wrote:Anyone have New Lennox or Daiken 12,000 BTU split units units available , if so cost of installation.

nada, nowhere, no how. forex is an issue.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 22nd, 2020, 10:16 pm

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Inve ... 188&sr=8-8

see if you guys recognise this unit btw, some of you have it at home.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 22nd, 2020, 10:22 pm

wisnow ac compressor.

disclaimer: not affiliated with the brand in any way although the dealer and myself have the same name.
Attachments
wisnow compressor.jpg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 24th, 2020, 7:09 am

bluefete wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
maj. tom wrote:
aaron17 wrote:Tonight unbearable with this heat...ac on 17 and but my room temperature thermometer is 23 .29 google saying.

you mad. whappen yuh have the ac on and the window open still?
Send up yuh fadda light bill and burn out the ac compressor right.

Your ac shouldn't be lower than 24 °C. That's the max comfort zone and power saving balance. I running a 12k btu at 28°C since 630pm and the room very comfortable. It facing west direct sun all evening and it was 34.4 °C at 6pm. Several baths to cool down really helps when the temps this high. Save current by not needing the water heater too. 26°C in the bedroom for sleep.

If the ac set at 17, the room is 23 and you still feeling so hot and uncomfortable, you're dehydrated bad. Go and bathe and let the cold water run for a while at the back of the neck where it meets the base of the brain. Then mix 1/2 tsp salt into 1 L water and sip it over an hour's time.

Also get a fan, moving air cools better with lower A/C set temps.

But dem A/C men does tell yuh to NEVER have a fan on with yuh A/C running.

Wey, nervewrecker? Ah moving this contribution to the A/C thread.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 24th, 2020, 8:49 am

I've never heard anyone say that.
Well i've been running a fan with the a/c since day one and i've never had to go lower than 25°C with the unit.
It's common sense, a fan on spin would circulate and push around the cold air blowing from the ac and cool the room faster and more efficiently.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » September 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Well now you know which A/C person to not hire. It’s simple forced vs natural convection, the hot air needs to enter the top of the evaporator (in most mini split) for it to be cooled, the fan introduces a way for the cold air to exchange heat with the hot air that cannot make it to the top of the evaporator on it's own. I did not know that 24 deg thing though, good info if it’s true.
Last edited by airuma on September 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Systems are always limited to the amojunt of heat they can reject. If you take a look around you will notice that the condenser is always larger than the evaporator.

When sizing a system its sized according to the heat load and the system is designed to be able to pick up x amount of heat per unit time because it can reject x amount of heat per unit time. By using a fan to assist the evaporator in heat absorption you may be overloading it but its debatable because during the night the heat load is smaller so you can use a fan with it. During the day, not so much.

WRT the 24 degrees setting, yes. When systems are produced its one control board being used for most up until 24000 btu where there is a contactor. So it is possible to see a system with a temp range from 16 degrees go up but thats not withing the operating temps for what we have here. Systems that are sized half of what we have are used in colder countries where the heat load is less. With the temp swings we have right now there is increased load during the day and lower temps during the night. A properly sized unit for the daily heat load can be easily oversized for the night. The set temp only varies the duration of the condenser run time, the lower set point the longer run time.

Every refrigetant has something called a pressure temperature chart. R410 has a large pressure range withing where it operates. Text book pressure temp will show you 118 - 119 psi for a 40 deg F / 5 degree C temp but in reality you can see anywhere between 150 PSI on a hot day to just above 105 PSI when cold. With a system running for a longer duration and the refrigerant becoming colder and colder from reduced heat load it approaches the temp where it falls close to or below 0 degrees C where it starts to make ice when heat is removed from the condensate produced by the evaporator. Most systems approach this zone when they are set to 22 degrees C and below at night especially with lower blower speeds that reduce the amount of heat coming into contact with the evap coils.

Also, realistically speaking, none of these systems reaching 22 degrees during the day. You just sending up your electricity bill.

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » October 3rd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Going to install a 12k btu ac in room...what size hole must be drilled through the wall?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » October 3rd, 2020, 10:11 pm

2.5"

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » October 4th, 2020, 3:54 am

INDAVID WORKSHOP wrote:Anyone have New Lennox or Daiken 12,000 BTU split units units available , if so cost of installation.

got an 18000 lennox from steve. boss ah unit, boss ah installers. i have to have that unit on 26/27 fuss it cold like a freezer. once this service on time i sure it go be wuking nice for years.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”