TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

*** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 24th, 2009, 11:12 pm

how do u all set up a room? wrt to speaker positioning etc?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » November 24th, 2009, 11:14 pm

the correct way is to build the room for the acoustics

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2009, 11:23 pm

^ SR men want to spend US$150 total and you telling them to rebuild the house - LOL

X_Factor wrote:how do u all set up a room? wrt to speaker positioning etc?

alot of newer receivers have Audessey or MCACC which is basically a small microphone that you put in the center of the room or in the spot where you will be sitting and it automatically adjusts all the speakers for you so you get proper surround from each.

with regards to physical speaker placement you can refer to these

this is correct speaker placement for 5.1
Note the rear speakers should NOT be behind you but more to the side of you - that is how the audio is encoded for 5.1 and that is how you should hear it as the movie producers intended.

7.1 is the same thing but the other two channels actually go behind you

the figure out where to place your subwoofer you should place the sub where you sit and then crawl on your knees around the room until you find the spot where the bass sounds best - place your sub in that spot. :idea:

another tip is to have the tweeters of the front speakers be at the same height as your ears when you sit to watch a movie. Obviously this is near impossible for the center channel since it would more than likely end up blocking the TV screen! But put it directly on top or below the TV, which ever is closer in height to your ear level.

most sites recommend placing your rear or surround speakers at tweeter to ear level too, other suggest placing it a foot to a foot and a half higher than your ear. Most audiophile sites suggest ear level and most movie sites suggest higher.

its what ever sounds best to you.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2009, 11:31 pm

SR wrote:marantz :mrgreen:

yamaha
pioneer
for home theatre the high end lines not the budget stuff on crutchfield

samsung for tv's

as for blue ray

sony playstation is the cheapest :mrgreen:

I agree!

only thing is that the fat PS3 will convert DTS and Dolby TrueHD audio to PCM. A better Blu-ray player will send the prestine lossless audio to the receiver.

the slim PS3 will bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD properly

some say that decoded PCM from the fat PS3 is just as good as Dolby TrueHD but the receiver light doesnt come on saying TrueHD, I am not sure, sometimes you need that lil light to make you feel that you are hearing the best of the best when your ears really cant tell the difference!

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 24th, 2009, 11:39 pm

most likely its gonna be a cheap 2kTT or less HTIB set up and the room is really our living room

so if it doesnt hav that auto set up and u hav to manually do it by trial and error

if i put the surround speakers close to the side of me, would i not be able to localize those speakers rather than them being more of a surround/ "rear fill"?

this sounds interesting...i cyar wait to experiment now

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm

^ no the encoding for 5.1 actually works better when the speakers are to the side and slightly to the back of you rather than directly int he back of you.

which is why some ppl think its rear speakers so they put it directly in the back of them and then go into the menu and raise the rear volume cause they feel like they cant hear it :| :?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 24th, 2009, 11:58 pm

orr ok, i understand

a dvd player with HDMI out, wen watching original movies
what to expect on the 42" tv :oops: ,
is this where the 720p and 1080p comes into play?
or does it only matters for blu ray stuff?

i know i askin alot of questions but its only today actually i started researching on the topic since we gettin the 42" tmr nah

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » November 25th, 2009, 12:03 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:the figure out where to place your subwoofer you should place the sub where you sit and then crawl on your knees around the room until you find the spot where the bass sounds best - place your sub in that spot. :idea:

good thing the floor clean :) I'll try this tomorrow

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 25th, 2009, 12:13 am

X_Factor wrote:orr ok, i understand

a dvd player with HDMI out, wen watching original movies
what to expect on the 42" tv :oops: ,
is this where the 720p and 1080p comes into play?
or does it only matters for blu ray stuff?

i know i askin alot of questions but its only today actually i started researching on the topic since we gettin the 42" tmr nah

no problem, ask plenty questions - its the same way I learn!

regular DVD is at 480i or 480p if your DVD player is progressive scan.

If your DVD player has an HDMI port then chances are it upscales video from 480i or 480p to 720p or 1080p depending on what the display will support - in your case to 720p

this actually looks pretty good and can look better than regular DVD

however not all upscaling processors are the same. Some are crappy and some are brilliant. It depends on whether you want a TT$400 Panasonic DVD player with HDMI or a Denon 2930ci DVD player with HDMI that has a HQV upscaling processor for US$800 (mind you this is NOT a blu-ray player). If you are a videophile with a large DVD collection this may be worth it sicne ti would definitely be cheaper than buying all your titles on blu-ray.

Mind you, upscaling cannot match true 1080p from blu-ray.

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » November 25th, 2009, 12:34 am

How big is the room? Give us a paper sketch of the room with the Sofa and all the other sheit yuh have that could possibly hinder your sound quality.

For small- medium rooms, HTIAB is a decent, cheap alternative... I used a Sony HTIAB for many years and it sounded "great", partly because the room was small and the speakers were aimed in the right direction etc.

Now I have a dedicated theater room with only a Sofa and no other furniture to tamper with my sound. I still choose to get another HTIAB system (Naka sound space 12) because I wanted to keep my room looking neat with all cables run inside the walls etc, plus the room is not to large, so there was no need for me to buy anything else.

So if you're on a budget with a small to medium room, take a look at the various HTIAB systems available. Try to visit a store to hear it in person, so you'll get the best bang for your buck.

Ps. I x1000000 on the bose is sheit comments :lol:

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » November 25th, 2009, 12:39 am

One more thing... Get a home theater "setup/test" DVD so you can set the proper volume levels and image setting to maximize your home theater experience. It's a great tool for beginners

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 25th, 2009, 1:01 am

thats a pic, u see the TV is at an angle and from TV to LP its approx 15ft
and from the side to LP its approx 6ft

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » November 25th, 2009, 3:14 am

Damn allyuh know allyuh stuff.

This thread is a must save/follow yes.

Great info here guys. Cause i looking to go HT soon as well

Might even throw in a lil DIY projector :twisted:

Wolfie
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Wolfie » November 25th, 2009, 3:59 am

The Onkyo receivers are pretty good value for money.

Dolby/DTS/WRAT/Optical.

Just run the optical to your player and it will change the receiver mode to the discs audio format.

I keep trying to find problems with my Onkyo receiver to no avail.

I change the encoding up all how, bitstream, linear pcm and the dang thing playing it all @ full range :mrgreen:

When you're finished setting up, make sure to get the THX DTS tester dvd.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 6:34 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
ru$$ell, I was lookin at the Yamaha RX-V765 to go along with the Quintet SL and I am a Yamaha fan, but the Pioneer Elite VSX 23TXH is a sweeeet receiver - I like bells and whistles - so shoot me.

hey,once its from the Elite line,go for it.

X_Factor wrote:Image

thats a pic, u see the TV is at an angle and from TV to LP its approx 15ft
and from the side to LP its approx 6ft

you might wanna check out this for the size of the tv,whats the best viewing distance,etc.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/view ... lator.html

Just be warned though,i bet Duane can confess to this as well,once you start,you might never stop,its like a drug,and you will get addicted.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 25th, 2009, 7:03 am

ne of u ever tried bass shakers..? parts express has them pretty cheap (22US each)
and no one who uses it seems to hav anything bad to say
once its set up properly

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 7:13 am

^sounds like a spin off from buttkickers,which i read are good,but you still dont get the OMPHH effect a actual 12-18" sub may give you.

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » November 25th, 2009, 7:26 am

if you look around on several forums on AV systems you will also find that Different Speakers sound better(more detalied) with specific Receivers.

Example- many many many Home theatre experts have auditioned PARADIGM speakers and found them to sound BEst when paired with Yamaha Receivers.

Some also say that Klipsch goes well with MArantz or Onkyo

and that Definitive Audio speakers sound very good with Denon or Pioneer ELite

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » November 25th, 2009, 7:36 am

I have really learnt some serious sheit since i started this thread, as guy said before, yall really know yall stuff.

I have made this the official HOME THEATER THREAD, as this information may be extremely invaluable to others who just started like me.

Have taken the advice and reconfigured my living room to receive optimal audio reception.

I have my eye on an Onkyo H.T.I.A.B, which i will start with seeing that am a rookie, ill probably get a pic of it to see what u guys think and ill post a pic of how i set it up in my livingroom.

:D

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 7:43 am

sharkman121 wrote:I have my eye on an Onkyo H.T.I.A.B, which i will start with seeing that am a rookie, ill probably get a pic of it to see what u guys think and ill post a pic of how i set it up in my livingroom.

:D

thats the spirit man,hey,back in 2005ish when i started out,all i could do was just look @ pics and drool,back then i had no clue what good stuff sounded like and was brainwashed into the whole "bose-better sound through research" crap. Theres a company locally that sells Wharfdale speakers,they too are rated as very good speakers

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/

JUS4SHO
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby JUS4SHO » November 25th, 2009, 7:45 am

i have 2 6x9 in garlic box sealed with duck tape

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 7:46 am

JUS4SHO wrote:i have 2 6x9 in garlic box sealed with duck tape

thas joke,i had a 8" Zebra in a bucket,yes a bucket, from way back when :cry: :oops:

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 25th, 2009, 7:47 am

wen setting up,
i read the front speakers are at eye level when seated in the LP
the surround speakers are slightly behind, higher than eye level
and angled a bit, to set speaker height,
u all use that method when setting up?

for sub, most ppl choose a corner, but that gets the bass to be boomy and sometimes muddy

as Duane said, move the sub around till it syncs with the rest of the sound

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 7:54 am

X_Factor wrote:wen setting up,
i read the front speakers are at eye level when seated in the LP
the surround speakers are slightly behind, higher than eye level
and angled a bit, to set speaker height,
u all use that method when setting up?

for sub, most ppl choose a corner, but that gets the bass to be boomy and sometimes muddy

as Duane said, move the sub around till it syncs with the rest of the sound

actually,duane said put the sub where you sit,then move around to where you find your getting the perfect impact of said sub.My fronts are a bit higher than seating area,but the difference from that to eye level isnt even noticeable.

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » November 25th, 2009, 8:14 am

If you go Maraval opposite Adam's Bagel, there's a place (always forget the name) where you can get Klipsch speakers, those are some of the better speakers i've heard in a store locally. Go hear the difference, they will demonstrate for you...

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » November 25th, 2009, 8:18 am

noshownogo wrote:If you go Maraval opposite Adam's Bagel, there's a place (always forget the name) where you can get Klipsch speakers, those are some of the better speakers i've heard in a store locally. Go hear the difference, they will demonstrate for you...

Monster Audio

http://www.monsteraudio.net/

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 25th, 2009, 8:21 am

X_Factor wrote:most likely its gonna be a cheap 2kTT or less HTIB set up and the room is really our living room

so if it doesnt hav that auto set up and u hav to manually do it by trial and error

if i put the surround speakers close to the side of me, would i not be able to localize those speakers rather than them being more of a surround/ "rear fill"?

this sounds interesting...i cyar wait to experiment now

If your Amp does not have a built in mic for set up, do what i did, got a small radioshack SPL meter (about $200). Plase it facing up at ear level, C weighted setting. Then set up so all your levels match perfectly. Also make sure and take a tape and measure the distance from your seating position to the speakers to set it up in your receiver for time delay settings.

Lastly, make sure your sub satellite are crossed over correctly. If you have small front speakers, make sure and set them to small, so that most bass will be redirected to your sub.

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » November 25th, 2009, 8:22 am

That's the place and here is the contact info from Klipsch's website:

MONSTER AUDIO LTD.
Unit 2, 16A Saddle Road
Maraval
Port Of Spain
Trinidad And Tobago
Phone: 868-622-5069
Email: corp@monsteraudio.net

yup they are authorized distributors

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 25th, 2009, 8:25 am

They also sell denon receivers.

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » November 25th, 2009, 8:29 am

some how i dont think that his budget will include for a DENON receiver!

:lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”