Forums

Energy Sector Thread - Operators, Engineers, Technicians Et Al

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Re: Energy Sector Thread - Operators, Engineers, Technicians Et Al

Postby jhonnieblue » April 1st, 2021, 11:36 am

Agree with zoom on this, this govt has been negotiating in bad faith to support the sector.
That energy minister has no foresight on where the sector needs to be or even how to support a transition to a green economy and the steps needed to be taken.
Right now we should be investing heavily in green hydrogen and the support facilities for such.
From an energy roadmap prospective there is little hope for this country in the next 5-10 years
zoom rader wrote:Red government killed Pt lisas.

Eric Williams must be a UNC

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 1st, 2021, 3:32 pm

Is one ting to switch gas from one plant to favor another. Is a totally different thj g to sponsor ah whole blasted TAR just to keep it running.in the first instance, a plant is a plant, more or less the same number of workers will be working.
Thr second is a whole bunch of money will be wasted to for pride and joy... When it didn't need to.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 1st, 2021, 3:37 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:Agree with zoom on this, this govt has been negotiating in bad faith to support the sector.
That energy minister has no foresight on where the sector needs to be or even how to support a transition to a green economy and the steps needed to be taken.
Right now we should be investing heavily in green hydrogen and the support facilities for such.
From an energy roadmap prospective there is little hope for this country in the next 5-10 years

If I remember correctly they recently signed a deal for thr trinigen 1 facility to spear head a hydrogen plant.
After the reform the gas, wonder what the process will be to take the carbon out of the loop after they extract thr hydrogen

OR they can can just run the ammonia process Inefficiently to recover excess hydrogen in the purge gas recovery

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 1st, 2021, 8:34 pm

sMASH wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:Agree with zoom on this, this govt has been negotiating in bad faith to support the sector.

If I remember correctly they recently signed a deal for thr trinigen 1 facility to spear head a hydrogen plant.
After the reform the gas, wonder what the process will be to take the carbon out of the loop after they extract thr hydrogen

OR they can can just run the ammonia process Inefficiently to recover excess hydrogen in the purge gas recovery

Hydrogen plants typically thrive when the plants they are supposed to supply have no reformers of their own from conception. A reformer is typically 1/4 of the cost of a plant, so if a greenfield plant can avoid this cost, and receive a reliable, cheaper source of hydrogen, then they go that route. No one really cares whether the hydrogen is green or not, cost is, and will always be, the overriding factor.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm

After my brief stint in Caroni I spent a good 20 years working in Pt lisas with NGC, Fertrin, Ispat, Tringen and other plants. Leant the most from these plants. They provided good paying jobs and an above agv lifestyle.

At its peak I would Say about 10000 permanent and contractor workers was employed there from all walks of life. From cleaner to CEO. Down streamers and supplier's and food joints was also a major part of Pt lisas, Californa and Couva. If it was not for Pt lisas these areas would have remained as just villages. Not forgetting UTT

An entire generation of highly skilled workforce is all gone now, distroyed by the red government that don't seek citizens interest.

Eric Williams created Pt lisas from Caroni and now both of them are all gone. Distroyed by Rowlair

Trinidad is the new Tobago depending on handouts, an island of waiters and store clerks.

The present crop of Rowlair MPs and advisers have no clue about the industrial industry .

It's all fook up now, next generation have nutting to look forward to , we gone back to the 1960s

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 1st, 2021, 9:09 pm

De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:

Hydrogen plants typically thrive when the plants they are supposed to supply have no reformers of their own from conception. A reformer is typically 1/4 of the cost of a plant, so if a greenfield plant can avoid this cost, and receive a reliable, cheaper source of hydrogen, then they go that route. No one really cares whether the hydrogen is green or not, cost is, and will always be, the overriding factor.

but when they reform the methane and extract the h2, what going to go on with the carbon?
a reformer may be the most economical way to extract h2 due to economies of scale, but how green it will be will be determined by the path of the carbon... unless, they plan to send the carbon to the methanol plants to improve their process... and in that case, letting m4 and 5 shut down might not be the best state to let happen.

the cgcl and methanex plants burn methane to generate the extra carbon they need to further the process. they might want to look at installing a purge gas recovery system at methanol plants and just extract the excess h2 from their front ends, and balance by h2 removal, rather co2 addition. u might just suffer with ur steam production, so just increase ur aux boiler capacity.

why i fretting about this is, cause i experienced some 'test projects' with pie in the sky logics used justify them. yeah they got the financiers to put out millions of dollars to go ahead but when i read the process, it didnt make sense and kept thinking that i missing sumting. so said so done, waste of times and monies.

they going to push a project tru, that will not be viable and taint the whole concept for all the people that not familiar but still need to buy into it. like most govt projects.

i just need to know what going on with the carbon. they shouldnt burn methane to produce h2 unless they have a very good use for the carbon.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » April 1st, 2021, 9:22 pm

Hydrogen is a critical input in ammonia production.  Currently, all hydrogen utilized in ammonia production on the island is generated solely from the steam methane reforming of natural gas.  NewGen is seeking to produce hydrogen using a proven industrial electrolysis process that is powered by electricity obtained from carbon-neutral sources such as excess heat from existing simple cycle power plants, or from green energy sources such as the recently-announced LightSource BP-Shell  solar power generation facility.  The proposed NewGen hydrogen plant, once operational, will be the single largest industrial consumer of electricity in the country.

That's the basis for newgen plant. Basically it's just caclucting carbon neutral electricity generation from exisitng sources and proposed RE.
It'll only be a 25% supply but if successful should be scalable and allow a reduction in demand for natural gas. Plenty of opportunity cost for the value gas chain if it works.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 1st, 2021, 9:23 pm

sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:

but when they reform the methane and extract the h2, what going to go on with the carbon?
a reformer may be the most economical way to extract h2 due to economies of scale, but how green it will be will be determined by the path of the carbon... unless, they plan to send the carbon to the methanol plants to improve their process... and in that case, letting m4 and 5 shut down might not be the best state to let happen.

the cgcl and methanex plants burn methane to generate the extra carbon they need to further the process. they might want to look at installing a purge gas recovery system at methanol plants and just extract the excess h2 from their front ends, and balance by h2 removal, rather co2 addition. u might just suffer with ur steam production, so just increase ur aux boiler capacity.

why i fretting about this is, cause i experienced some 'test projects' with pie in the sky logics used justify them. yeah they got the financiers to put out millions of dollars to go ahead but when i read the process, it didnt make sense and kept thinking that i missing sumting. so said so done, waste of times and monies.

they going to push a project tru, that will not be viable and taint the whole concept for all the people that not familiar but still need to buy into it. like most govt projects.

i just need to know what going on with the carbon. they shouldnt burn methane to produce h2 unless they have a very good use for the carbon.

If the hydrogen project is using electrolysis, then the only byproduct will be Oxygen, and some water.
AFAIK, the IPSL, now Proman methanol plants got their CO2 from PCS, now Nutrien. With the idling of the biggest plants M5 and M4, the CO2 not used by the Urea plants in Nutrien, will be vented to atmosphere thus contributing further to green house gas emissions.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 1st, 2021, 10:10 pm

De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:

If the hydrogen project is using electrolysis, then the only byproduct will be Oxygen, and some water.
AFAIK, the IPSL, now Proman methanol plants got their CO2 from PCS, now Nutrien. With the idling of the biggest plants M5 and M4, the CO2 not used by the Urea plants in Nutrien, will be vented to atmosphere thus contributing further to green house gas emissions.

but u dont need to strike a deal with tringen to do electroysis route. so, hence my presumption that they want to use tringen1 reformer to do the h2 generation.

the extra 400mt of meoh that m5000 used to make, used the purge gas from the loops of the other plants. as a further means of economies/ecology, as that gas simply burnt in the reformer. so what used to be chaching, went back to jess going up in flames.
400mt by 400us is 160,000 US per day

y? cause rowley want lng train 1 to survive.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 1st, 2021, 10:27 pm

sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
sMASH wrote:

but u dont need to strike a deal with tringen to do electroysis route. so, hence my presumption that they want to use tringen1 reformer to do the h2 generation.

the extra 400mt of meoh that m5000 used to make, used the purge gas from the loops of the other plants. as a further means of economies/ecology, as that gas simply burnt in the reformer. so what used to be chaching, went back to jess going up in flames.
400mt by 400us is 160,000 US per day

y? cause rowley want lng train 1 to survive.

The purge gas, mainly hydrogen, used as fuel for the M2/3/4 reformers would have been substantially less as M2/M3 were running sporadically at best in an effort to keep the big money spinner M5 on line. Alas through JUHN Scarfy and Goebbel's fackery, now the mighty M5 has also been brought to its knees. Never thought I'd see that.
Red Colostomy Bag must be happy and proud, because according to him, only 20% of FOUR LNG trains is our saviour. Liquify a dwindling resource, add ZERO value, and let the multinationals control the entire value chain, LFD RFD PNM economics. Then again JUHN Scarfy and Guy Smiley business fix, so fack ollour and ollour Estate.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 1st, 2021, 10:33 pm

what he fail to see, pnm big wigs going the route of becoming renters. all dem following alwaris. dem aint business bout oil and gas again.

DreamWeaver
3NE 2NR for life

Postby DreamWeaver » April 2nd, 2021, 9:55 am

Titan Timeline:
2019 December 31st - Titan's gas contract expired and they get interim extensions until April 1st, 2020.
2020 April 1st - Methanex idles Titan due to Covid and the inability to get a long term gas contract with NGC.
2021 January 7th - Methanex announces they are shuttering Titan and retrenching workers.

M5000 Timeline:
2020 September 22nd - M5000's gas contract expired and they get interim extensions until April 1st, 2021.
2021 April 1st - MHTL idles M5000 due to the inability to get a long term gas contract with NGC.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

...... the similarities are uncanny. Fill in the blank. I havent even considered M4 since their contract would have expired a while ago and NGC has been giving them interim supplies for quite some time. If MHTL does get a contract, I imagine Methanex will be interested in knowing the terms. Seeing as Atlantic Train 1 needs gas and the govt is eager to make good on their Train 1 TAR funding and their "better returns" agreeement for Train 1, I dont expect MHTL or Methanex to have their plants back online anytime soon.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 2nd, 2021, 10:59 am

These plants can disassemble their assets and move to another favorable country in months. They always have a second avenue and I think they gave the red government enough time .

They did the same when they came here.

Who's loosing, certainly not the plants.

This Red government don't know how to run a county , their behaviour is immature. They are chasing away industry.

If you folks cant see that we are, now an island of waiters and store clerks then you all need help and are very stupid people .

Dumbass Banana Republic

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am

zoom rader wrote:These plants can disassemble their assets and move to another favorable country in months. They always have a second avenue and I think they gave the red government enough time .

This Red government don't know how to run a county , their behaviour is immature. They are chasing away industry.

If you folks cant see that we are, now an island of waiters and store clerks then you all need help and are very stupid people .

Dumbass Banana Republic
Yea things getting worse and worse under them and they always have an excuse to fool the population.
The companies however won't be fooled by no Golf Course Groomer and his half dead energy minister. If the price ain't right they will pack their bags and go. No mercy from them.
Point Lisas is crumbling before our eyes and we can't do anything about it.. Sad times in T&T.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 2nd, 2021, 7:57 pm

zoom rader wrote:These plants can disassemble their assets and move to another favorable country in months. They always have a second avenue and I think they gave the red government enough time .

Dumbass Banana Republic

Just curious, do you think things will get better if UNC win the next election? or is it like unrecoverable?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 2nd, 2021, 8:49 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

Just curious, do you think things will get better if UNC win the next election? or is it like unrecoverable?

No, it will take many years to halt the slide in gas production, and years to get back that level of FDI. A plant isn't like a burger cart, once it is moved out of T&T, that's it, especially as gas prices will not significantly reduce in the short term. For this we can thank JUHN Scarfy and Goebbels, who "negotiated" us right out of our previously envious position of being a major attraction for FDI.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

No, it will take many years to halt the slide in gas production, and years to get back that level of FDI. A plant isn't like a burger cart, once it is moved out of T&T, that's it, especially as gas prices will not significantly reduce in the short term. For this we can thank JUHN Scarfy and Goebbels, who "negotiated" us right out of our previously envious position of being a major attraction for FDI.

So if you could migrate get out now? what you think?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 2nd, 2021, 9:00 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

Yes, industry is dead, forex shortages killing local businesses that are not already well established and manufacturing is similarly dead. I pity those youths doing PPO, Mech/Elec Eng etc.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 2nd, 2021, 9:03 pm

De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

Yes, industry is dead, forex shortages killing local businesses that are not already well established and manufacturing is similarly dead. I pity those youths doing PPO, Mech/Elec Eng etc.
Some of them youth paying to do it too...Not the best use of money at this time.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 2nd, 2021, 9:03 pm

De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

what about those that do med?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 2nd, 2021, 9:12 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

Could never go wrong with the classics of med and law. There'll always be sick people to treat and scumbags to defend/prosecute

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 2nd, 2021, 9:28 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Dumbass Banana Republic

Well the LFD RFD PNM PM said that there was no staff for the Couva Hospital, so maybe it is a good option :roll:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 2nd, 2021, 10:16 pm

pnm: not enough staff at hospitals
graduates: not enough vacancies, so we hadda try it outside.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 3rd, 2021, 1:00 am

Massive brain drain incoming.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 3rd, 2021, 7:10 am

How come habit7 not white knighting it for the pnm as yet?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 3rd, 2021, 7:44 am

alfa wrote:How come habit7 not white knighting it for the pnm as yet?

He prolly following instructions and in Tobago :lol:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 3rd, 2021, 8:24 am

are all the nutrien plants up and running?

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » April 3rd, 2021, 9:11 am

Not all

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 3rd, 2021, 9:33 am

I fail to see the link between the Atlantic investment and failure to renew gas contracts in Pt. Lisas.

Atlantic is supplied with gas from different upstream sources via a dedicated pipeline whereas Pt. Lisas gas originates from other upstream sources and is fed via another pipeline. To suggest that gas is preferentially being sent to Atlantic is a baseless argument as this is not possible under the current system configuration.
DreamWeaver wrote:Titan Timeline:
2019 December 31st - Titan's gas contract expired and they get interim extensions until April 1st, 2020.
2020 April 1st - Methanex idles Titan due to Covid and the inability to get a long term gas contract with NGC.
2021 January 7th - Methanex announces they are shuttering Titan and retrenching workers.

M5000 Timeline:
2020 September 22nd - M5000's gas contract expired and they get interim extensions until April 1st, 2021.
2021 April 1st - MHTL idles M5000 due to the inability to get a long term gas contract with NGC.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

...... the similarities are uncanny. Fill in the blank. I havent even considered M4 since their contract would have expired a while ago and NGC has been giving them interim supplies for quite some time. If MHTL does get a contract, I imagine Methanex will be interested in knowing the terms. Seeing as Atlantic Train 1 needs gas and the govt is eager to make good on their Train 1 TAR funding and their "better returns" agreeement for Train 1, I dont expect MHTL or Methanex to have their plants back online anytime soon.
Last edited by carluva on April 3rd, 2021, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 3rd, 2021, 9:36 am

alfa wrote:How come habit7 not white knighting it for the pnm as yet?
He's one of those jump and wave pastors, the new breed of the red government churches to hook idiots in their cult. Easter

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”