The guitar string (thread)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

meccalli
punchin NOS

Re: The guitar string (thread)

Postby meccalli » May 17th, 2020, 8:33 am

MG Man wrote:

Created and produced by a friend of mine. The guitars are all his playing. Everything else he did on his computer
Just for context, this is a guy with 20 plus years of rheumatoid arthritis, fused wrists, maligned fingers and a life of constant pain
Been playing for most of his life

Sounds great, his condition makes me think of Jason Becker. Still producing music despite all of his challenges.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 18th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Guitar came with a bad switch and missed opportunities to get someone to do the job over the 11 or 12 years I owned it. Wasn't sure of my soldering skills but I installed a pickup selector switch today. Wound up reversing the positions and I wasn't about to chance resoldering so I manually 180'd it and it works. Felt great, and I looking forward to upgrading the neck pickup and humbucker eventually.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 19th, 2020, 8:58 am

Seymour Duncan website has wiring diagrams for any type of configuration.
Add a capacitor for treble bleed to each circuit. I assume you're using high end pups like SD.
Change your pots too if you can and get CTS instead of the cheap stock metal pots that come with cheap guitars.

Use a multimeter to measure resistance before you solder so you know how the switch goes.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 19th, 2020, 10:07 am

lol no, this is guitar 1, a humble Yamaha strat copy I've been slowly adding Fender parts to for years.
Pots are on the list of future upgrades. I'm just happy that it no longer cuts off when I accidentally touch the selector switch.

richie-rich
Riding on 13's

Postby richie-rich » May 21st, 2020, 9:56 am

Good day,

Just happen to come across this thread I know a place that sells guitar accessories like strings and picks. If you are in the east side you can check them out a place in Arima. If you like you can check out the link to their website https://www.lc-sawh-enterprises.com/product-category/musical-components-trinidad/

Just taught I would of shared this.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 21st, 2020, 11:21 am

Excellent! Thanks a lot.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm

Is that store related to SAWH's that was in Dial center mall when i was a young Arimian?

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » May 21st, 2020, 8:10 pm

I think my guitar bass fell more than once and something broken. I opened it and saw a loose wire and soldered back but no luck..

Who can you recommend to take a look at it and does repairs.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

for calling it a guitar bass, you don't deserve assistance
Attachments
davie.png

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 21st, 2020, 9:37 pm

nismotrinidappa wrote:I think my guitar bass fell more than once and something broken. I opened it and saw a loose wire and soldered back but no luck..

take some pictures of the cavity of your "guitar bass" and post them here.

Why did it fall several times? You're abusing your instrument.
It's very difficult to break the internals of a guitar by throwing it down to the point where there is no sound coming out from the pickups to the output. It will more likely physically break at the headstock or the neck. There is no way a wire could come unstuck from a soldered joint that way. You did a mess in there yourself and shorted it out, or your cable to the amp was shorted before during one of the yanks and falls (this is common).
Last edited by maj. tom on May 22nd, 2020, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onetimer
Riding on 13's

Postby onetimer » May 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm

Smol pp
MG Man wrote:for calling it a guitar bass, you don't deserve assistance

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 21st, 2020, 9:52 pm

MG Man wrote:Created and produced by a friend of mine. The guitars are all his playing. Everything else he did on his computer Just for context, this is a guy with 20 plus years of rheumatoid arthritis, fused wrists, maligned fingers and a life of constant pain Been playing for most of his life

Not bad at all, with all those obstacles. Wish more would share their original work on here, BTW.

Hey MG Man, how does your friend's offering make you feel about that bandaged thumb pic now? *ducks* :lol:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 21st, 2020, 9:56 pm

shogun wrote:
MG Man wrote:Created and produced by a friend of mine. The guitars are all his playing. Everything else he did on his computer Just for context, this is a guy with 20 plus years of rheumatoid arthritis, fused wrists, maligned fingers and a life of constant pain Been playing for most of his life

Not bad at all, with all those obstacles. Wish more would share their original work on here, BTW.

Hey MG Man, how does that make you feel about that bandaged thumb pic now? *ducks* :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: we all know I'm a big pansy :lol:
It's healing nicely tho

richie-rich
Riding on 13's

Postby richie-rich » May 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm

Les Bain wrote:Is that store related to SAWH's that was in Dial center mall when i was a young Arimian?

Yes it is the store by the Arima Dial. That is correct.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » May 22nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

maj. tom wrote:
nismotrinidappa wrote:I think my guitar bass fell more than once and something broken. I opened it and saw a loose wire and soldered back but no luck..

It's very difficult to break the internals of a guitar by throwing it down to the point where there is no sound coming out from the pickups to the output. It will more likely physically break at the headstock or the neck. There is no way a wire could come unstuck from a soldered joint that way. You did a mess in there yourself and shorted it out, or your cable to the amp was shorted before during one of the yanks and falls (this is common).

Family knocked it off the stand more than once. It played after that and then one day nothing. Hence the reason I opened it and then saw the loose wire

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » May 22nd, 2020, 2:10 pm

maj. tom wrote:

Family knocked it off the stand more than once. It played after that and then one day nothing. Hence the reason I opened it and then saw the loose wire

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » May 22nd, 2020, 2:21 pm

20200522_141845.jpg
Pic

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 22nd, 2020, 2:49 pm

You make that mess at the bottom? looks like you might've bridged something you shouldn't have or you just might've fried the pot and broke the entire circuit. You can get an old female 1/4 inch plug and bypass the pot just to check. Also, don't use an amp, use your line in or monitor it through headphones if you must use the amp, i figure after a solder job like that, you may pop your cab speaker attempting that lol.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm

uhhh yeah. It's a mess you see all the solder all over the place there OP?
The black paint is conductive shielding paint also. So it conducts. You have shorted out the entire circuit because you didn't make precise connections.

Best you carry it to an electrician to sort it out and check it with a multi-meter. There are no real specialized skill set required for this fix. It's an easy fix, but you should learn to solder first. There are YouTube tutorials on soldering and i learned from there with some practise.

First, use the multi-meter to check if the pots are still working. Bypass the pot and see if the signal is reaching the output female TS jack. If not, you have to buy a new pot. Remove ALL the solder from the bottom pot with a sucker and some copper braid wire. They sell all that stuff in an electronics store. And just solder it back exactly like you see in the above pots. You noticed how neat and precise they are?

You're following this diagram, which will be useful for the electrician:

2nd, use the multi-meter to check the cable you're using to the amp for proper individual continuity at each end. Like i said before, cables are the number 1 source of trouble and should be checked first.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » May 22nd, 2020, 8:05 pm

Sorry about the mess. It's a cheap soldering iron and some really old solder. I don't think I shorted out anything but I will clean up the old solder. I used multimeter and checked cables. I feel it's the guitar cable jack though.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » May 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am

maj. tom wrote:He means a regular 6-string acoustic guitar, steel string, not nylon.
btw, don't... just don't buy those cheap Chinese guitars you see in an electronics store. This means Radio Shack too! I wouldn't even call them guitars, they're just pieces of ill, dull plywood. And they're stringed with steel, but they're meant to be nylon. You'll think that all guitars are crap like that and never want to play again. The action will be terrible, awful bent warped neck with no truss rod, a disgusting unfixable buzzing sound, cheap plastic nut with no resonance... etc., you will lose all your motivation.

Buy the best you can afford [b]from a real music store at the moment if you really want to play guitar. Bro if you can afford a starter Gibson Les Paul for $1000 USD, go for that instead.[/b]

Gibson’s are overpriced...theIr quality is spotty.

You’re going to get much better bang for the buck with an Ibanez or PRS SE.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 22nd, 2020, 11:21 am

Pics and write up of a diy 2 channel pedal switcher coming soon.Thanks Stev for the parts.
You know how pedals does have fancy names?Looking for suggestions for this one.Is basically to switch from one effects chain to the next(Clean/Distortion) by pressing only one switch.So is either in clean mode or distorted mode at any point in time.
Taking sketches for designs too

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 14th, 2021, 7:40 am

Basically is a channel switcher.Either channel A or channel B, not bot at the same time.Reason for building is that it kinda hard to be pressing a zillion pedals while playing.
IMG-20210201-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20210201-WA0003.jpeg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 24th, 2021, 4:27 pm

The new child
Image.jpeg

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 12th, 2021, 10:09 pm

Anyone have an iRig or iRig HD 2 to sell?
Don't mind buying second hand instead of new

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 13th, 2021, 11:05 am

Check here
https://m.facebook.com/groups/199912206733788/

There's lots of gear that get traded daily

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » July 26th, 2021, 10:43 am

Bumping this thread.

Anyone ever got their instrument “set up”?

I usually adjust on the fly and according to feel.

Never actually used any tools or measurements.

Wondering if it makes a big difference.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 26th, 2021, 9:16 pm

timelapse wrote:The new childImage.jpeg

buh widdy.......I only now realize you in this ched :lol:
yuh was around for de ill fated tuner band?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 26th, 2021, 10:02 pm

If you was on bass, yeah lol

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 27th, 2021, 8:09 am

lol yeah I was the official bassist / kant who pissoff de singer and make she quit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by MG Man on July 27th, 2021, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”