TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby Pointman-IA » February 26th, 2015, 6:32 am

Let me keep my pair of Renaults and the 5er yes.
What I am reading here is frightening.
I see that our VW are sourced from Mexico. Are the VWs in Mexico experiencing issues?

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » February 26th, 2015, 6:40 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:
kingskid wrote:There is no where in the world where people not having problems with VWs. All lies and bull sheit. Mineral oil fix my foot. They once told to drive my car faster to eliminate juttering, because the race car at the time did not then I find out the race car had new clutches. DO NOT BUY A VOLKSWAGEN. My fuse box giving trouble. Random things will spontaneously stop working while driving TRACTION CONTROL, BRAKE LIGHT, ABS ETC. The speed limit is 80km/h why tune a car that already has a top speed of 220km/h to go even faster. BTW speed cameras a coming soon. The only and I mean the only plus for a VW is its crash safety rating which is 5 stars.

Kingskids wham boy??I have kids to feed yunno:shock:

Lolo lol.

You could always tune jap cars?

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » February 26th, 2015, 6:52 am

I do....not enuff interest in 10 to 20hp catagory....or diesel jdms it seems....onlu euro owners seek power..lol

kingskid
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kingskid » February 26th, 2015, 10:36 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:
kingskid wrote:There is no where in the world where people not having problems with VWs. All lies and bull sheit. Mineral oil fix my foot. They once told to drive my car faster to eliminate juttering, because the race car at the time did not then I find out the race car had new clutches. DO NOT BUY A VOLKSWAGEN. My fuse box giving trouble. Random things will spontaneously stop working while driving TRACTION CONTROL, BRAKE LIGHT, ABS ETC. The speed limit is 80km/h why tune a car that already has a top speed of 220km/h to go even faster. BTW speed cameras a coming soon. The only and I mean the only plus for a VW is its crash safety rating which is 5 stars.

Kingskids wham boy??I have kids to feed yunno:shock:

LOL lol sorry bro
Disregard the tune part people tune have to eat. I hope that's helps

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » February 26th, 2015, 11:28 am

fastredcar wrote:Ok so I got a brake servo failure sound and light this morning going to work..switched off the car and started back and now the abs light is on...

NOW WHAT?!

fear not sir, we have users with experience in abs unit failures
first step. check for fault codes using vcds

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 26th, 2015, 11:45 am

Pointman-IA wrote:Let me keep my pair of Renaults and the 5er yes.
I see that our VW are sourced from Mexico. Are the VWs in Mexico experiencing issues?

The Jetta is assembled in the Mexico plant and shipped worldwide. Same VW components though that are manufactured in various countries.

It still seems the user experience (among Tuners anyway) is fairly mixed. Are some Jetta's problematic? No question. Are all Jetta owners having the kingskid Golf Lemon situation? Doesn't seem so. Ask el Bunny.

Based on the information available here, I hesitate to call it unreliable compared to similarly priced vehicles due to the fact that there aren't any other 70+ pages of Pros and Cons threads with this much information and user feedback for Corolla, Elantra, Cerato,etc or any locally available vehicle for that matter.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » February 26th, 2015, 11:50 am

People don't usually talk when things are good though....

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » February 26th, 2015, 11:51 am

neexis wrote:

The Jetta is assembled in the Mexico plant and shipped worldwide. Same VW components though that are manufactured in various countries.

It still seems the user experience (among Tuners anyway) is fairly mixed. Are some Jetta's problematic? No question. Are all Jetta owners having the kingskid Golf Lemon situation? Doesn't seem so. Ask el Bunny.

Based on the information available here, I hesitate to call it unreliable compared to similarly priced vehicles due to the fact that there aren't any other 70+ pages of Pros and Cons threads with this much information and user feedback for Corolla, Elantra, Cerato,etc or any locally available vehicle for that matter.

OK I've been following this thread with interest in maybe purchasing a second hand jetta but I've definitely written that option off.
Their isn't a pros n con's of any of the jap/korean cars because there really isn't that much that can and do go wrong with them.

Serious question how many of you guys are truly happy with your purchase and would recommend a jetta to a single mother with one source of income and transportation?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 26th, 2015, 11:57 am

metalgear2095 wrote:People don't usually talk when things are good though....

Yep.. so it's hard to gauge how many owners may be having good experiences due to no positive feedback/lack of complaints on their part.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » February 26th, 2015, 12:33 pm

I wont say VW's are bad cars, yes they have some issues , but a lot o other car brands do as well, i know a number of cerato and elantra owners that have transmission problems right now
the only drawback i could see with VW is bess auto inability to increase service stations throughout the island and deal with issues fast and effectively

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » February 26th, 2015, 12:53 pm

neexis wrote:
metalgear2095 wrote:People don't usually talk when things are good though....

Yep.. so it's hard to gauge how many owners may be having good experiences due to no positive feedback/lack of complaints on their part.

Yep. Much easier to gauge the bad experiences

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 26th, 2015, 1:08 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:the only drawback i could see with VW is bess auto inability to increase service stations throughout the island and deal with issues fast and effectively

And this is probably why I won't buy another VW.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » February 26th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Nice cars but the problems that I'm hearing of on and off tuner are scary.... way too many problems for a new car. At first I hated the mechatronic issue then I thought that was resolved..but now it's a whole batch of other complaints....no new car should have down time like that.
Nice car and feature set but VW have to make a spin and come back for reliability
Last edited by j.o.e on February 26th, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » February 26th, 2015, 3:54 pm

neexis wrote:

Name of thread is pros and cons. I usually post pros over the last few years. Here is my con right now:

Spanner icon on dash blinking alternately with the gear number Carnival Wednesday. Scanned car with vcds and got an error stating "hydraulic pump - play protection." The only thing in this car with a hydraulic pump is the mechatronic unit. Popped bonnet and looked at mechatronic unit and noticed fluid leaking. Car was driving normal but flatbedded it up to BA. Mechatroninc unit has to be replaced. Cool and calm as ever BA calls to say that the mechatronic unit is $23,000 and politely ask me to pay half before they place the order. Eventually they requested goodwill for me after I paid $1000 cuz I really eh feeling to pay $23k on a part that is known to have issues. So the car is parked up at BA awaiting a new mechatronic unit which will take weeks to get here. At BA I met a woman whose PCY Jetta had two mechatronic units replaced under warranty. I hadn't been to BA in a while. I must say things have changed quite a bit in little over a year in terms of number of vehicles for repairs. Will keep yall posted on the outcome as per usual.

Jaguar anyone?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 26th, 2015, 6:51 pm

Gorsh... Reading all dese issues and freakin glad I sold my vw last year....I woulda be catching tail with a vw dat I cyah even squeeze to make juice.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » February 26th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Ok! So bunny's car was not involved in the recall ... Probably had mineral oil in the transmission and the MU still went caput.
WTF

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » February 26th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Ouch on both last replies...

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » February 26th, 2015, 8:44 pm

How long can ba continue to foot these bills though? Seems like a lot of goodwill will eventually screw them into non existance

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » February 26th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Well, with Goodwill you pay the installation cost I think and the part is supplied by VW.
Only way I think it would cost them is the courtesy cars they need to have on hand.

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » February 26th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Sorry to hear the litany of cons but the facts are the facts. VWs intent was to compete on sales with the Honda market in particular but they will be resigned once again to a niche brand if this keeps up.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 26th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Ouch....if this is the price of advancing car technology and owning the next greatest innovation. .. leave me out.
As far as I can see. .. vw owners with DSG transmissions are test drivers.
What good is a quick, stable at speed, safe, fuel efficient car that isn't reliable.
I still believe the jetta would be properly reliable with a manual gearbox. ...

My question now is how long before ba has a good amount of these parked up on the compound awaiting parts and owners with no vehicle.

Now for the people that don't know. ... If your car is in for repairs. .. You can have the insurance for it suspended..... its not going anywhere unless ba have to test drive it. Not sure how long some of them remain at ba though. ..

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » February 26th, 2015, 10:27 pm

It's not the end of the world guys ... Toyota and gm have been killing people with their ignition switches, faulty airbags and stuck accelerator pedals over the last few years. Hyundai's have had serious problems with their Tucsons locally with everything from transmissions going down to brake pads wearing out under 12k miles. Same sheit different brand!

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 27th, 2015, 5:51 am

I believe that Toyota was cleared from that unintended acceleration case. It's America where drivers can't really drive. ...I know of a couple people who wear out brakes even faster. How about new rotors after 5000km. .... almost every 5000km. He drives that vehicle and he drives it hard. Another goes thorough a set of brake pads in 3 months. 12000kms sounding good if they were pushing those vehicles:smile:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 27th, 2015, 6:09 am

12k miles... That's 19k km... I think that's good for brake pads to last. As a former owner of a vw, I did extensive research on the problems when I had my mechatronics unit replaced and these vws give problems worldwide. I even heard or read on one of these very forums that the vws we get come from Mexico and these vehicles are second grade i.e. Have some issue that makes them unsuitable for other markets hence they send them to these markets where we jump for joy to own one.

All vehicles have problems but I agree with a previous tuner that we are all test drivers for vw r&d department. How is it that when you change simpler parts in these cars you get them in your trunk to carry home, but with a mechatronics unit you don't? I was told that all these units go back to Germany to be assessed post-failure. These cars are just too complex and have to much new untried technologies that still need to be proven.

Nice cars, good ride, good features but massively unreliable, lousy resale value and expensive to maintain. That's why I will compromise the first three goods to get a car which may still be expensive to maintain but hold resale value and above all else re reliable.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » February 27th, 2015, 6:25 am

Sorry ment 12000km ... But that's normal? 25k miles and brakes still going strong on the jetta. Parents crv have 60k km and only changed once. Wife had legacy with only 1 change and car was 55k km when we sold it.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 27th, 2015, 6:41 am

In the greater scheme of things brakes are expected to wear and fail. It depends on how you drive to a large extent. I do a lot of hi way driving and brakes change every 20k km or so. My wife does short drives on main roads to work and not a lot of hi way driving and she'll get about 40,000 km on brakes in her previous vehicle.

One does not expect a car to give transmission issues or abs issues within the first two years of ownership.

Ironic thing bout Hyundai with tranny issues.... Didn't Hyundai hire design engineers from Audi to revamp the brand a few yrs ago? Audi... Vw... Same company...

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 27th, 2015, 7:11 am

carluva wrote:In the greater scheme of things brakes are expected to wear and fail. It depends on how you drive to a large extent. I do a lot of hi way driving and brakes change every 20k km or so. My wife does short drives on main roads to work and not a lot of hi way driving and she'll get about 40,000 km on brakes in her previous vehicle.

One does not expect a car to give transmission issues or abs issues within the first two years of ownership.

Ironic thing bout Hyundai with tranny issues.... Didn't Hyundai hire design engineers from Audi to revamp the brand a few yrs ago? Audi... Vw... Same company...

I think you might be confusing that with Kia. They hired Peter Schreyer who was key in designing the Audi TT. I get the impression that he is more involved with the physical design elements of the car... and not so much engine/drivetrain.

carluva.. what car do you drive and brand of brakes are you using to only get 20k km?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » February 27th, 2015, 7:14 am

drchaos wrote:Only way I think it would cost them is the courtesy cars they need to have on hand.

Lol.. so probably no real cost to them then? Seeing as they never really have any of those.

redrum
3NE 2NR for life

Postby redrum » February 27th, 2015, 8:04 am

I was really tempted to purchase the new jetta because of its style and price, however I did some extensive research an was shocked about the problems that this model was plagued with around the globe. How is it that these European cars are rated so high in European countries, it is that they are more knowledgeable than us when it comes to maintainence, or do we get third grade vehicles, with inferior replacement parts?

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » February 27th, 2015, 8:15 am

redrum wrote:I was really tempted to purchase the new jetta because of its style and price, however I did some extensive research an was shocked about the problems that this model was plagued with around the globe. How is it that these European cars are rated so high in European countries, it is that they are more knowledgeable than us when it comes to maintainence, or do we get third grade vehicles, with inferior replacement parts?

It's incredibly fast as well. But I am poor so I stick to Jap cars.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”