Forums

323 Gearbox Conversion info

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

googoodoll
Riding on 13's

323 Gearbox Conversion info

Postby googoodoll » July 15th, 2012, 8:45 am

I am interested in converting my 323 to a manual transmission but i have heard that there are issues people have with the pressure release bearing after their conversion. I would like to know how true this is and if there is any advice you fellow tuners can provide me with in regard to doing the conversion. I have BJ 323 with the ZL engine.

Thanks in advance

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Re: 323 Gearbox Conversion info

Postby nareshseep » July 30th, 2012, 6:27 pm

To be on the safe side you can transplant an engine that came original gearbox, I have an factory manual zlve hatch and there has been no release bearing noise, however on my girlfriend sedan that was converted to manual there is a release bearing noise, mind you that a brand new exedy clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, release bearing was installed. I have known a couple conversions that were done and there are no release bearing noise. I spoke to a mechanic on the noise and he said it has to do with the build quality of the release bearings. So I guess its a gamble.

You can check Maztune (783-5064) for a conversion, he does great quality work, I don't think any of the conversion he has done has that noise.

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KMZ04-OEM-R ... automotive

Parts required for conversion
-MTX Brake Fluid Reservoir (notice the nipple on the side which feeds the clutch master cylinder). I happen to have the brake master cylinder as well, but the reservoir is all you need.
-MTX Brake Pedal Assembly.
-Clutch Master Cylinder.
-Clutch Pedal Assembly.
-Clutch Slave Cylinder. In my case, it already came with the transmission.
-Clutch Lines. There are two (2) hard lines and one (1) soft line. [Clutch Master Cylinder-->Hard Line-->Soft Line-->Hard Line-->Clutch Slave Cylinder].
-MTX Rear Transmission Mount Bracket.
-MTX Rear Transmission Mount. smaller than auto bracket
-MTX Front Transmission Mount and Bracket. (I believe its the same mount on the auto)
-MTX Side Engine Mount Bracket.
-MTX Side Engine Mount.
-MTX Bottom Mount.
-MTX specific Intermediate Shaft. I'm pretty sure you could use the ATX bearing. My shaft came with the bearing already on it.
-MTX drive axles.
-MTX Starter.
-Shifter Assembly and Shifter Linkages
-There is a slight possibility that your transmission may not come with a Clutch Fork. The Fork is basically what the clutch slave cylinder pushes, the fork then pushes on the release bearing.
-Clutch Assembly. (Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate)
-Flywheel.
-Release and Pilot Bearings. These are usually included with new clutches. The pilot bearing is fitted into the middle of the flywheel. The release bearing sits on the transmission spline, and the clutch fork is pressed against it. This is what pushes on the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. The release bearing can be seen in this picture.
-Clutch Alignment Tool. Required for Clutch installation. This is usually included if you buy a new clutch.

mazda trix
Street 2NR

Re: 323 Gearbox Conversion info

Postby mazda trix » July 30th, 2012, 8:16 pm

my clutch release bearing making ah lil noise 4 yrs now dat aint say nothing!!!

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”