TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

NZE steering rack problems

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bounty007
Ricer

Postby bounty007 » November 11th, 2009, 6:25 pm

has anyone experienced steering rack problems on their nze. Currently i am experiencing heavy noise from my steering rack. I need opinions on to what may be causing this suspension problem

turbohead
18 pounds of Boost

Postby turbohead » November 11th, 2009, 9:33 pm

the racks in the local model tend to make a slight knockin an cud be adjusted to suit. but if after the problem still persist wen all other parts are ruled out the rack will have to be replaced with a new one. f/u racks do not make a difference cuz you are not sure wat you gettin.

bounty007
Ricer

Postby bounty007 » November 12th, 2009, 6:46 pm

hmm, i changed my outer steering ends and same problem. the noise is heard on smooth road as well, not sure is rhe inner ends making noise now.....when i turn the steering and the car is in park, i'm also getting the noise as well, what yall think this could be???

praise
Sweet on this forum

Postby praise » November 12th, 2009, 7:35 pm

I believe you are speaking about the NZE with the 1NZ-FE 1.5 VVTI engine. These cars are electric power steering (EPS). They can be adjusted with a diagnostic scan tool that have work support for the EPS. If after adjustment, the noise remains, you would have no choice but to replace it or live with it, once it is functioning.

bounty007
Ricer

Postby bounty007 » November 13th, 2009, 8:30 am

Praise thks man. Do u have know any good diagnostics men who can check this for me? I was also wondering if the brakes hub could make the same noise. Removed my tyre and the hub was shaking by hand.

praise
Sweet on this forum

Postby praise » November 13th, 2009, 8:59 am

Are you sure it is the brake hub shaking or the rotor disc. Even if the bearings are bad the hub is difficult to shake. Where are you located?

bounty007
Ricer

Postby bounty007 » November 13th, 2009, 1:52 pm

central

Anil_Sooknanan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Anil_Sooknanan » November 13th, 2009, 2:33 pm

praise, it won't hurt to tell the man you could scan it for him. bounty007, praise could sort you out he just playing shy :lol:

praise
Sweet on this forum

Postby praise » November 13th, 2009, 9:15 pm

No Anil, you are the man to sort him out. He is from your area. Why don't you tell him to check you out. My hands are already full. Sorry buddy, but I do not go about looking for any additional work. Shy has nothing to do with it.

bounty007
Ricer

Postby bounty007 » November 14th, 2009, 7:36 am

yo , if any of you guys can assist let me know plz. that would be appreciated

sukcess
Riding on 13's

Re: NZE steering rack problems

Postby sukcess » October 12th, 2015, 10:24 pm

1nz fe 1.5 engine,my steering rack bets stiff on me while turning corners and ive noticed that when it occurs d P/S light on d instrument panel comes on,suggestions needed

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » October 23rd, 2015, 1:43 pm

:bump:

Crackpot
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Crackpot » October 26th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Anybody can assist with the steering on the 3zz 1.6 singapore model??? Since i bought the vehicle it stiff no tail.

JayyXXII
Street 2NR

Postby JayyXXII » November 21st, 2015, 5:06 pm

Looking for an NZE 121 1.5 engine revolution sensor... Help anyone?

hondablood
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hondablood » January 8th, 2016, 12:38 pm

can the rack in the 141 be adjusted also?

TheScientificWay
Riding on 13's

Postby TheScientificWay » October 4th, 2019, 11:19 am

So unfortunately for most car owners. We fail to realize metal is metal, and regardless of what part you are talking about, clunking, clicking, grinding, knocking is all a part of it. Whilst the most common failures of your vehicle first start with its steering mechanisms as this receives most wear and tear there are a few things to be wary and conscious about. So to all persons believing you cannot diagnose a problem over the internet you CAN! Very much possible with a little explanation and keen interest for reading.

Firstly let's disect a steering rack

It is as it says a rack, which houses the steering mechanics of your vehicle. To which then comes, axle, tie rods, ball joints etc etc. Everything in front your car must be able to move up, down and side to side.

Knocking over uneven surfaces can be the most annoying and nerve racking thing to some whom many seem to have changed a lot and still get it. If that's the case and only problem. Then yes, it's your steering rack.

Steering racks don't fail as they don't have senors, and all those fancy dresses to wear. Simply metal parts coming together and what fails is when something breaks, loosens or simply grinds down. As steering racks have splines, bolts and lubricated joints to move.

So for the novice as the NZE 121 or any Toyota for a matter with powered electric steering. Start your vehicle on a flat, dry and steady surface.

This a dry check in a quiet area with your windows down as I may be unsure of any acoustic alterations to your vehicle.

Slight movements side to side yet vigorously to listen for a knock to each side. This may indicate two things, a worn spline controlling how the steer of the vehicle works, or a loosen joint or bolt running slack and may damn near fall off on you losing all steering and simply with no doubt causing a fatal accident.

However there is a whole lot more to one problem that may just as well indicate play in your steering especially noticeable when driving. If you're not a DIY person, with no tools and equipment or knowledge on anything going on under there.
Best leave this for any mechanic or firm. To which your preference, they all do the same thing. To anybody even interested in having a PROPER suspension check done at your home or at mine. Call 3919615. And a suspension check can be done for you for free. If parts needs to be changed, this can also be done.

THIS TOPIC CAN GET MORE IN DEPTH AS I AM NOT JUST TELLING YOU OF YOUR SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF TO YOUR VEHICLE, BUT ALSO EXPLAINING WHAT AND HOW IT WORKS. SADLY READING ISN'T THE 100 ON THIS SITE, SO FOR A NEXT TOPIC.

kareemkm
Riding on 13's

Postby kareemkm » October 26th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Solid response here.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”