TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

What good for the goose not good for the gander.

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

What good for the goose not good for the gander.

Postby nervewrecker » February 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm

So you heard speaker x in a demo and loved it. You buy it and it sounds like crap. Thing is acoustics, phase and refection issues are huge factors that affect performance.

I'm off my meds so was up all night and decided to put my elates to use. I'm having DAD do some PVC CNC frames for me.

Anyone who knows me knows i'm impartial to my hybrid audio, I use the tweeters is all my rides. I lined up a test from the tweeter from the jvc bedroom speakers, some phoenix gold I have, HAT L1V1, OEM 2004 Subaru WRX tweeter's with on board hpf and the absolute worst set I ever installed, the set from my JBL C608 GTI MKii.

I had this convo with Dinelle from HAT so I not bad talking any brand or bashing it because it must be in my system.

Lined up next to each other on the bed with the same songs played at a 900 HPF off a Harman AVR 1610. The JBL blew the rest away like it was nothing. In car use however its harsh, sounds distorted and horrid. This same set in a controlled environment showed what it can do.

I could also mean that my ear has now grown to differentiate in sounds. I can pick up on vast differences in stuff I couldn't do much before. They all sound almost the same no I wasn't spending that extra penny. Noiw, penny is juts a girl on big bang theory. There are various variables here when it comes to me. But this wrote up is just to show that great stuff can sound like trash while cheaper stuff can do some damage.

What I am trying to say here guys is doh scrape the bottom for the barrel but focus on install.

The dealer for morel I getting me some specs for my bookshelf speakers. And the invitation is open for next audio meetup (no gallery men). We wanna hear some audio frog and stevens audio. :)

Loving the subwoofer spare tyre sub box btw. Post it here if you can man.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: What good for the goose not good for the gander.

Postby evolution7tt » February 16th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Interesting!

Also, a 900Hz highpass is tough for any regular sized tweeter. REALLY tough.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 16th, 2021, 2:31 pm

900 HPF u say , is a typo , u forgot a 0 or u really cutting it that low ? ... iirc not even pro audio drivers recommends so low

just for curiosity i wuda get a long wire from ur home receiver & power d same tweets in ur car all in a similar position to try listening to it to see if environment & equipment makes a difference too ...

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » February 16th, 2021, 3:34 pm

*what good for the goose ain't good for the gander*

After spending weeks on tweeter placement in my new van, I read countless articles on failure when they were placed on the dash firing up at the windshield, I never find they sounded good up there in previous vehicles when tried...

And here I am, after a weekend drive with them placed up there, even in a passive install, I'm enjoying it alot this time around.

What a fickle beetch vehicle acoustics and ear holes can be huh

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2021, 7:44 pm

It's as high as the reciever can go. I kept the volume low to not toast em. Output level similar to how I have them in the vehicles and they are attenuated a lot.
evolution7tt wrote:Interesting!

Also, a 900Hz highpass is tough for any regular sized tweeter. REALLY tough.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Most times I cross them like around 2500 to 5000 depending on the combo used.
You can add bandwidth if you decrease power like how you can add power by cutting bandwidth with bass but with increased distortion.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”