The sub could have been done better but the experiment was a first time. I use two sided tape and stuck strips of card board on the inside of the rim. Then I masked the cardboard off with painters tape. Oh I shaped the inside to allow space for the wheel' locking screw. The wheel is still bolted down. I went with a low profile tire( used) just to make space for the amps. I could have taped direct to the rim but I wanted space to allow for wheel balancing weights. It also leaves space to carpet the enclosue.
After that it was fiberglassing. I got shitty resin and hardener from Bhagwansingh which caused no end of problems. It was not hardening. I had to blast it with a heat gun set on high to force the resin to kickstart the hardening chain reaction. Before the heatgun I waited about 15 minutes and the mix was still liquid. This allowed some areas to seperate a bit because the resin was draining off from the glass mat. Worked like hell to try and fix that after curing. I thought it was me not getting good proportions of hardener to resin so I made sure the second time and same thing happened again. All my hard work to have the fiberglass level and minimum bubbles with up in smoke. Bought resin from another hardware after that and did an extra layer of glass, five in total.
I used an MDF ring to fiberglass the top. When I completed all glassing, I bolted the baffle to the ring with lots of wood glue. Wire was ran on top between the finishing board and the baffle. A groove was routered out for the wire which was filled and sealed with resin after the wire was installed, then the baffle was sanded flat. The finishing board is also bolted and glued to the baffle. This was an experiment to learn because I cannot pay for someone to do that kind of work. If the box eventually fail, I know I can rebuild it better. Resin really effed me up. Sub enclosure can be removed to take out the spare if needed.
Last edited by altec
on January 3rd, 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.