Forums

Y12 Wingroad battery charging concern

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

lilpimp
Street 2NR

Y12 Wingroad battery charging concern

Postby lilpimp » August 30th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Hello trinituners. I have an Y12 wingroad and using a Powersafe SBS 40 battery for nearly a year now but have a little concern about my voltage ever since I bought the battery. By the way I never had any starting problems. Car starts perfect. :D

With car off just battery voltage no load, no charge is 12.5 – 12.7 Volts. :D

Starting the car cold with engine running but everything switched off the battery read 13.8 – 14.3 Volts but the voltage drops over time in less than 2 minutes to 13.2 Volts at idle and stays there. :?

With engine running and everything on (lights high beam, A/C,) the battery read 13.1 Volts and with music on loud (2 amp system) drops to 12.9 volts when a bass note hits at its maximum volume with lights dimming very slightly (barely noticeable).

With shutting everything back off, but engine running the battery read 13.2 volts.

Shutting the car off, the battery read 12.7 volts.

My only concern is why does the alternator start out cold putting out over 14 Volts and after warming up stay at 13.2 volts? I checked 2 electricians and they said that once the car is starting good and voltage is over 13 Volts everything should be fine. I will like to get some of your opinions on this issue.

Thanks very much and looking forward to your replies. :)
Attachments
powersafe sbs battery.jpg
powersafe sbs battery1.jpg

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Re: Y12 Wingroad battery charging concern

Postby SR » August 31st, 2013, 6:02 am

Hot rating of an alt is less than the cold rating so hence the output is less

Also that powersafe battery was not made for automotive use but for the telecom/ ups industry and was not designed to handle heat and vibration in your engine compartment

lilpimp
Street 2NR

Postby lilpimp » August 31st, 2013, 7:29 am

Thanks for the reply SR. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Stinger SPP1200 or one of those Bosch batteries.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » September 1st, 2013, 2:41 am

One thing to mention, some new vehicles are coming with a smart alternator that is ECU controlled. Under load, such as while charging your battery / running lights / AC / music etc, the ECU will raise the voltage to 13V+ to prevent discharge of the battery and to power all accessories.

When there is little to no electrical demand, the alternator's voltage could drop to as low as 12.9V, just enough to prevent the battery from discharging. At that low voltage, the parasitic losses from the alternator is kept to a minimum and fuel efficiency on the vehicle is maximized..

I noticed this in my wife's Mazda 2.. Had initially thought the alt was failing, but a mechanic friend of mine had explained it to me..

lilpimp
Street 2NR

Postby lilpimp » September 1st, 2013, 6:00 am

man these new vehicles are so complicated. thanks for the information.

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » September 1st, 2013, 8:39 am

3stagevtec wrote:One thing to mention, some new vehicles are coming with a smart alternator that is ECU controlled. Under load, such as while charging your battery / running lights / AC / music etc, the ECU will raise the voltage to 13V+ to prevent discharge of the battery and to power all accessories.

When there is little to no electrical demand, the alternator's voltage could drop to as low as 12.9V, just enough to prevent the battery from discharging. At that low voltage, the parasitic losses from the alternator is kept to a minimum and fuel efficiency on the vehicle is maximized..

I noticed this in my wife's Mazda 2.. Had initially thought the alt was failing, but a mechanic friend of mine had explained it to me..

Yep, having to face this same issue on the new vehicle.

lilpimp
Street 2NR

Postby lilpimp » September 1st, 2013, 10:22 am

this feature is cool but not for people with car audio equipment where amplifiers are rated at14.4 volts to get the full rms power. I guess having a secondary battery or a much more powerful battery up front will do the job. More current more power but voltage is very important as well to put less strain on the amps.

Wolfstein
Sweet on this forum

Postby Wolfstein » September 1st, 2013, 5:32 pm

those y12 wingroad alt put out more power with more load less load less power. what you have to do is first change that batt and two move the alt sense wire from engine bay to some where in cabin so it will put out more charge and not reduce voltage as batt charges up.

lilpimp
Street 2NR

Postby lilpimp » September 1st, 2013, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info you all. I will try a different battery and if I'm getting the same voltage I'll accept it for what it is. :)

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Anyone knows a bypass for the ECU controlled charging
Ie 'ibs'

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 18th, 2020, 10:14 pm

X_Factor wrote:Anyone knows a bypass for the ECU controlled charging
Ie 'ibs'

external regulator set to a specific voltage perhaps?

notsoloud
Ricer

Postby notsoloud » April 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm

u have a clutch type alternator that is controlled by the ecu
its like your ac it comes on when it needs to (when temp drops under a set point)
a bigger battery more capacity clutch stays of longer

notsoloud
Ricer

Postby notsoloud » April 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm

its the same thing with my hilux

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » April 17th, 2020, 7:58 am

Ie 'ibs'

https://brand-x-electrical.myshopify.co ... lternators

Can’t vouch for it, but the company seems to know their stuff.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » April 17th, 2020, 2:12 pm

so i decided to jus unplug the connection going to the negative pole and i notice the voltage is stable now--
14.2-14.5 in most cases and the engine check light stayed off...i considering it a win

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 19th, 2020, 10:52 pm

3stagevtec wrote:One thing to mention, some new vehicles are coming with a smart alternator that is ECU controlled. Under load, such as while charging your battery / running lights / AC / music etc, the ECU will raise the voltage to 13V+ to prevent discharge of the battery and to power all accessories.

Yea, some guy with a red winning civic explain this to me recently. Noticed this with my Subaru alternator.

evolution7tt wrote:
Ie 'ibs'

https://brand-x-electrical.myshopify.co ... lternators

Can’t vouch for it, but the company seems to know their stuff.

Some men used a resistor hack in the past, this is new to me and looks way better.

I managed to keep the voltage up to 14.4 by throwing on the ac blower or park lights. When I do my routine keep the car battery alive run I run with the park light on.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » April 19th, 2020, 11:00 pm

See if the negative pole has a jack to connect some sort of sensor and disconnect it...see what happens

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”