TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How do you build a box for a Subwoofer You Can't Identify?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

How do you build a box for a Subwoofer You Can't Identify?

Postby carfreak1024 » August 2nd, 2010, 2:10 pm

Well what i did was just get all the pieces of wood i could find, some pieces were 3/4", some were 5/8", and some were 1/2". Some laminated some not. Some screws i got with an infinity component set, some duct tape, some leftover carpet from 3 different boxes.

Then i looked online to find out what speaker this could possibly be, this is a JL Audio 8" BTW. Looked online and i just could not find out what this could possibly be. It has a paper cone and i took some pics of it if you guys may know what it is. Now i thought it was an IB4 but it could not be because this sub was bought new in 1993 and those came out in 1999. Anyway here are some pics of the box i built. It is .35cubic sealed.

Gotta have your 8" Subwoofer Cutout rings:

Here is the box itself. The piece of carpet that has the JL Audio logo cutout in it originally had a huge glue stain on it. So i cut it out and threw in the JL logo in there. HAHAHAH looks kinda OK.

Here you can see the 3 different types of carpets. I didn't have enough to go around the whole box in the silver so i extended it with the grey, then i didn't have enough grey to do the sides, so i used some black i had. HAHAHAA it works though:

Now this is the subwoofer itself:

it really shows its 16 year old age, you can see the dust cap fly out once and the gasket unstuck once too, but the thing almost as old as i am and it still works. JL= QUALITY

Here is the magnet:

Here is the spider and terminals:

If anyone can tell me what it is and i can find some info on how to build a box for it like some T/S specs or some that would be great, but if what i know is correct T/S specs en go help me much as the spider kinda beat out and and suspension has to change. Hasn't dry rot yet like old school JL stuff though.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Re: How do you build a box for a Subwoofer You Can't Identif

Postby meccalli » August 2nd, 2010, 2:34 pm

Thought it was a W0 at first sight, just may be the old series, umm find someone with a woofer tester?..i'm gettin one in time, will be helpful for situations like this.

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » August 2nd, 2010, 3:30 pm

that was my second choice but didn't want it to be because they require pretty large boxes for an 8" to get to a decent level. But they more i think about it, i think you're right.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 2nd, 2010, 4:33 pm

bass box pro has specs for some old subs, try WinISD too,,,try and look for a model #

if all else fails Bass box pro has a step by step tutorial/calculator to determine the specs, check it out

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » August 2nd, 2010, 5:59 pm

carfreak1024 wrote:Then i looked online to find out what speaker this could possibly be, this is a JL Audio 8" BTW.

Looks like a really old JL Audio sub, with that stamped-steel Eminence-type basket.
As for specs:

1. It's really old
2. It's had some work done on it.

This suggests that, even if you were to get hold of the published specs, those are likely going to be useless to you as your sub's actual specs are likely to be quite a bit off of those, due to (1) and (2) above.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 2nd, 2010, 6:18 pm

you can get your sub tested for actual thielle small parameters locally
contact nigell1977

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » August 2nd, 2010, 8:16 pm

nah i can assure it has never had any work done to it, besides the resticking on of the dustcap about one or two years ago when it fly out. It was in a Bazooka tube when that happened. Now it is in the sealed box it sounds alright. But for some reason not getting any kinda response down low getting it high up though. like 60-80 sounds rell good for a rell small box.

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » August 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Just for kicks i even tried the sub in my 5 cubic box tuned to 38hz that i used for my Audiobahn House Subwoofer when it was alive and boy let me tell you it sounded the best in that box. Alot lower like i was getting response as low as 35hz and thing. Even try a bandpass thing with the sealed box onto the front of the 15" box and while it sounded louder it was not as low as the ported. I rell bored these days yes.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 2nd, 2010, 9:18 pm

SR wrote:you can get your sub tested for actual thielle small parameters locally
contact nigell1977

He has the woofer tester from Parts Express?

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » August 3rd, 2010, 8:18 am

^^^Yes, he has access to one.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 3rd, 2010, 8:25 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:
SR wrote:you can get your sub tested for actual thielle small parameters locally
contact nigell1977

He has the woofer tester from Parts Express?

he took it off my hands about 2 months ago

and as far as i know its the only one in the country

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”