TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Which transmission fluid?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Which transmission fluid?

Postby ryandtrini » August 25th, 2018, 11:59 am

I have a 2012 Corolla (NZ141). I would like to know the difference between the Toyota ATF Type T-IV and the Type WS. Which is the better one to use for my vehicle? Manual says WS but can the T-IV be used?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Which transmission fluid?

Postby adnj » August 25th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Toyota ATF Type T-IV (T4) - Some Toyota, Lexus including "Gen 1" hybrid CVT), some Mazda. Replaces Type T, Type T-II and Type T-III.

Toyota ATF WS - Most new models introduced with model year 2004 Toyota and Lexus including "Gen 2" and later hybrid CVT (except non-hybrid CVT); Volvo. It is not applicable in applications requiring ATF Type T-IV.

You can find this info online.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 25th, 2018, 12:34 pm

ryandtrini wrote:I have a 2012 Corolla (NZ141). I would like to know the difference between the Toyota ATF Type T-IV and the Type WS. Which is the better one to use for my vehicle? Manual says WS but can the T-IV be used?
If the manual says WS
Then use that...

The two types are for totally different applications and can cause damage if you use the wrong one.

Both are the same price so dont look for a "cheaper" option.
Its around 70/qt

Most big parts places stock it and you only need about 4 for a drain and refill

imperial
3NE 2NR for life

Postby imperial » August 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I think the type of fluid you have to use should be engraved on the transmission dipstick.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » August 25th, 2018, 3:44 pm

ryandtrini wrote:I have a 2012 Corolla (NZ141). I would like to know the difference between the Toyota ATF Type T-IV and the Type WS. Which is the better one to use for my vehicle? Manual says WS but can the T-IV be used?
Use the one written on your dipstick and use original Toyota fluid, don't make joke with that at all

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 25th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Kronik wrote:
Use the one written on your dipstick and use original Toyota fluid, don't make joke with that at all
There is no reason to buy the OEM brand. ATF is spec'd by a car manufacturer and formulated by a refiner.

You do need to use the specific fluid formulation though. Because the fluid spec is designed by the OEM that licenses it to the refiner, the other brand is probably owned by the company that actually made it.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 25th, 2018, 9:26 pm

adnj wrote:
Kronik wrote:
There is no reason to buy the OEM brand. ATF is spec'd by a car manufacturer and formulated by a refiner.

You do need to use the specific fluid formulation though. Because the fluid spec is designed by the OEM that licenses it to the refiner, the other brand is probably owned by the company that actually made it.
While what you are saying is true.
Its the safer option if you dont know the details of the OE spec fluid.

Eg: toyota makes 2 fluids: type 4 and WS.
They cannot be used interchangeably.
Mobil makes the fluid for them.
The mobil 3309 is the alternate for the type 4.
Not sure whats the replacement for the WS.

But why go thru all that and chance getting it wrong and destroying a tranny to save $10 dollars on a qt?

Especially since OPie clearly doesnt know better, he has asked in another thread as well.

I know people who causes irrepairable damage using the wrong fluids. So i always tell them to use the correct thing...to be safe.

ryandtrini
Street 2NR

Postby ryandtrini » August 26th, 2018, 11:16 am

thank you all for the helpful comments. I am going with the WS as the manual states this.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 26th, 2018, 12:09 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:[While what you are saying is true.
Its the safer option if you dont know the details of the OE spec fluid.

Eg: toyota makes 2 fluids: type 4 and WS.
They cannot be used interchangeably.
Mobil makes the fluid for them.
The mobil 3309 is the alternate for the type 4.
Not sure whats the replacement for the WS.

But why go thru all that and chance getting it wrong and destroying a tranny to save $10 dollars on a qt?

Especially since OPie clearly doesnt know better, he has asked in another thread as well.

I know people who causes irrepairable damage using the wrong fluids. So i always tell them to use the correct thing...to be safe.

I agree with you.

My point is that you should buy the specific ATF type and not a compatible type. The brand does not have to be OEM. There are some very reputable Japanese brands of ATF for Toyota CVTs of the exact specification.

On a side note: There is not an ATF standard like with engine oils. Each type is specific to the operation of a certain transmission. I would not use a compatible ATF unless there was no original spec fluid available.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”