TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Importing a motorcycle

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sc0tch_tape
Riding on 13's

Importing a motorcycle

Postby sc0tch_tape » July 11th, 2017, 10:53 pm

I am interested in purchasing a used motorcycle from the States and having it shipped to Trinidad. Is anyone familiar with the procedures here in Trinidad for when it arrives? Clearing customs, duties, taxes, licensing, etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Avinash094
Ricer

Re: Importing a motorcycle

Postby Avinash094 » October 9th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Bump

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » November 18th, 2017, 7:55 am

Check motorcycle etc.

Bayoutt
Riding on 13's

Postby Bayoutt » August 12th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Hi, did you ever find out how to import a motorbike? I am in the same situation, trying to find information about import licences but can not get through the online process from away.

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » October 16th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Any current info after the last budget?

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » October 18th, 2018, 12:31 am

In for info as well

amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

Postby amd-dude » October 24th, 2018, 7:14 am

I imported a Yamaha V-Star a few years ago, dunno if things changed now. The bike was bought with a salvage title and was licensed with no problem (although I didn't do it, Dates in San do sold the bike and took care of everything). To bring it in I shared a container with my cousin as he was bringing in some equipment and there was about 10 feet of space still. Before you look to even load it on a container MAKE SURE to drain all the fuel and oil from it or else they will shaft you a few hundred US, that was the first mistake I made.

Shipping went smoothly and it got here in about 4 weeks (Shipped from Jacksonville) The bike was $2500 US which was around 16K TT if I remember correctly. Now this is where it gets tricky and TT Customs can suck my balls always. Time for the valuation I gave them all the bank wire documents and receipts showing the cost of the bike. Customs told me that I was lying and that this bike has a higher value and they valued it at $5000 US which sent the clearing cost up. When we looked at it before if everything went how it suppose to go, the bike should have cost around 20K TT that's buy, ship and clear. With the customs new valuation it cost around 25K maybe more.

To buy the bike and ship is easy enough especially if you use a good freight forwarder out of FL or which ever state you ship but be prepared for local BS as always.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 24th, 2018, 8:33 am

You must drain fuel from all vehicles prior to shipment. You are not required to drain the oil.

Once the motorcycle clears, you can truck it away or you can choose to have it registered. When you register, you will need insurance beforehand. You will need your title and your bill of lading showing that you cleared customs. You will be required to buy and attach a registration decal to the motorcycle before the registration is complete.

You can ride an unregistered motorcycle only to licensing office when you want to register it. You must first have insurance for the motorcycle and a motorcycle driving permit.

You may want to make a few copies of every document you carry.

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » October 24th, 2018, 9:10 am

Nice. So drain fuel and ensure a clean title and just ship.

Any age limit or other restrictions like cars?
Also can it ship or would be feasible with a SeaBox? Or what's the best way?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 24th, 2018, 10:25 am

Titled vehicles require a title transfer and a shipping agent to act as owner for transport and clearing. If you purchase the vehicle overseas, you must still grant power of attorney to an agent.

Motorcycles require racks, shipping crates or other immobilization that is specific to the shipper.

Find an agent first then find a shipper. They will provide all of the requirements on time and location to load and delivery date.

Once landed, you or an agent must present title and bill of lading for the container. Then dumerrage, vehicle tax, VAT, and other costs are calculated and paid.

If given a choice of buying a used motorcycle from overseas, shipping, clearing, and registering it versus buying one from a dealer or vehicle importer, most people will buy one from a dealer or importer. And for a good reason, too.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » November 7th, 2018, 8:13 pm

So who is a "good" agent to deal with locally?

25 to LIFE
Street 2NR

Postby 25 to LIFE » November 8th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Subscribed

chocolate323
Riding on 13's

Postby chocolate323 » November 9th, 2018, 11:45 pm

[quote="adnj"] but is there an age limit like cars ,,and do the engine size matter ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 10th, 2018, 4:28 am

I believe that the MVT and age limits are applied the same as cars.

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » November 12th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I'm not sure that age limit applies. I've seen bikes from the 80's and 90's with PB* and PC* series

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 13th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I believe that you can import a motorcycle that you previously bought with no age restrictions. I believe that you must have held title for two (maybe more) years. The same is true for cars and trucks.

Otherwise the four(?) year age limit holds. But I could be wrong.
M-Tech wrote:I'm not sure that age limit applies. I've seen bikes from the 80's and 90's with PB* and PC* series

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 8th, 2019, 6:51 am

Anyone import recently?

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » April 6th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Thinking about importing. Anyone else.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 7th, 2020, 7:46 am

*Phoenix* wrote:Thinking about importing. Anyone else.
Just don't bring it in knock down, LO will not register it and not allow you leave the compound riding it. They check your customs and duties to make sure the right amount of taxes was paid. When LO collects your customs paper work they will send it to customs to verify that's it genuine if they think it's skull. Plus the age limit still stands.

I had a similar situation with a new bike that I brought from the local Yamaha dealer. One of the chassis number was incorrect and LO thought it was knock down bike where the right amount of duties was not paid. They even suspected that the ceritifted copy was a bogus cause they had no records of the bike. I had to go back to yamaha and supply the original customs documents to LO. Was lots of running around and took 4 months for LO to sort out their error of writing the incorrect chassis number.

Lession learnt, when ever you buy a new car or bike check that the chassis and engine numbers match the on the ceritifted copy before you leave the show room. Even a used car still check the numbers. While sorting out my chassis number I got to know the staff in LO and they said it was not only me in my situation but 1000s.

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » April 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Just don't bring it in knock down, LO will not register it and not allow you leave the compound riding it. They check your customs and duties to make sure the right amount of taxes was paid. When LO collects your customs paper work they will send it to customs to verify that's it genuine if they think it's skull. Plus the age limit still stands.

I had a similar situation with a new bike that I brought from the local Yamaha dealer. One of the chassis number was incorrect and LO thought it was knock down bike where the right amount of duties was not paid. They even suspected that the ceritifted copy was a bogus cause they had no records of the bike. I had to go back to yamaha and supply the original customs documents to LO. Was lots of running around and took 4 months for LO to sort out their error of writing the incorrect chassis number.

Lession learnt, when ever you buy a new car or bike check that the chassis and engine numbers match the on the ceritifted copy before you leave the show room. Even a used car still check the numbers. While sorting out my chassis number I got to know the staff in LO and they said it was not only me in my situation but 1000s.

Excellent information.
THANKS>
I didn't know that the same age restrictions as cars were mirrored with bikes.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 10th, 2020, 10:43 am

I willing to bring down something. Message me nah and we could go through the process.

RAMPOWER
Riding on 13's

Postby RAMPOWER » May 13th, 2020, 1:36 am

Anyone know the limits on age if thats true or not? Also is MVT payable or just 38% the price? I can get the title on my name. Does it have to be 2 years??? What if you're just importing???

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 15th, 2020, 8:35 pm

RAMPOWER wrote:Anyone know the limits on age if thats true or not? Also is MVT payable or just 38% the price? I can get the title on my name. Does it have to be 2 years??? What if you're just importing???
Same car import laws apply for bikes.
MVT is on engine size, bikes are cheaper. You need to get import licence

RAMPOWER
Riding on 13's

Postby RAMPOWER » June 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm

So if I buy one in the US I must keep it for two years then ship, the age limit shouldnt apply in this case?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm

RAMPOWER wrote:So if I buy one in the US I must keep it for two years then ship, the age limit shouldnt apply in this case?
It's the same laws as cars.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 22nd, 2021, 11:51 pm

So any one of you guys bored with your 600cc and what to sell? PM me nah, to avoid the sharks.
Thanks.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”