TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Buying First Car. Advice needed

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

vally
Ricer

Buying First Car. Advice needed

Postby vally » March 31st, 2015, 6:49 am

Hey. I need help. I'm looking to buy my first car but already fed up of the search.

My budget is between $60000 and $70000. (prefer the lower end of the scale).

I know I want either a Nissan or a Toyota (easier maintenance)

I would like low maintenance vehicle and not get cat, dog or rat in bag.

Can't decide on whether to buy a local used or import a vehicle. If I buying a local, by the time I'm ready I could add another $10000.

Thanks

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: Buying First Car. Advice needed

Postby MG Man » March 31st, 2015, 9:49 am

I personally prefer to buy local...you can have the vehicle properly inspected and know exactly what you are paying for.....be sure whatever you choose is the 'bamboo' version, so if you need stuff like bushes, body parts etc in the future, you can get them easily...my personal preference would be an NZE Corolla...buddy has one doing 350,000 kms form new, no major issues

vally
Ricer

Postby vally » March 31st, 2015, 8:37 pm

Ok thanks. Would I get a good car for that price ($60000)?

STREETFREAK
3NE 2NR for life

Postby STREETFREAK » March 31st, 2015, 10:17 pm

When I was buying my first car I had a fairly low budget compared to yours, I looked for the best that my money could have bought ( 30k more or less) I choose a no-post Crown.......... Reliability, comfort, style,economical and easy to service were all factors that made me choose that car....... and I highly recommend Crown to anyone that's buying a car.

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » March 31st, 2015, 10:45 pm

sir, do not choose a local abused over a RORO

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » March 31st, 2015, 10:56 pm

my first car cost 9k....broke many hopes and dreams with a carb sohc 1.5 and m/t

take your 70k and go buy foreign used pal like kjaglal said but also get something that has bamboo support like mgman said!

consider your budget after the purchase as well as some cars cost more to maintain.

also if you are the iron termite type or a new driver look for something that has cheaper body parts. that might be useful as well....

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » March 31st, 2015, 10:59 pm

Buy a nissan note or cube roro

My 2 cents

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 1st, 2015, 3:57 am

You hit the two biggest factors: replacement parts and reliability. When buying used, it's better to buy from someone that you know. That way, you can get an idea of how it was used and by whom. Take a look at similar vehicles in Consumer Reports magazine for reliability track records. Corollas have been very reliable models for decades, to name just one.

If you don't own a rolling tool chest and a floor jack, get to know a good mechanic in your area - they should look at the car before you buy it. A good mechanic will also be a source of solid, reliable cars for sale.

There are some people that have cars parked in their garage for five days a week that don't get driven through every pothole. Those are gems worth looking for.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 1st, 2015, 9:25 am

Wait just a few seeing that your budget can increase a tad.
I know you said 60K was more on your mind but you can get a decent RORO Nissan for that price.
Also add a little more and you can have yourself a Toyota.

The looking around for a local used car is all well and good but it's too time consuming and the good ones are very few compared to the rubbish that some trinis consider "bess" & "like original".

With a foreign used you basically have a blank slate to start with and you can be sure that no shoddy maintenance was done (buy from a reputable dealer).

Right now there are some nice cars for around your budget.
The AXIO Corolla (Toyota) is really good and rides awesome, handles great and is very economical on fuel (works with super) the plus side is you get Toyota's reliability and dependability.

The Nissan Tiida is also a nice car, okay ride with some lowering springs it handles good and I have one for three years now with no issues. Fuel consumption is okay as I get around 350-400km on $100. of super.
My little concern is that Nissan now seems to be a bit inconsistent with their reliability compared to the past. However that is just my opinion.

I am an avid Toyota follower and my other vehicles are of this brand.
To me though, its all about your likes and dislikes.

Browse around at a foreign used lot and then visit a few used cars for the same price range.
Look for things like condition of interior (driver seat can really tell a lot)
Also condition of engine bay, things must be well kept there if not then its signs of poor maintenance.

When buying a used vehicle, look for one that's close to the original spec.
That is no over sized rims, body modifications, missing panels in trunk and modified engine or components in the bay as depending on how well the work was done it can be unreliable.
Last thing you want is to now buy a car and have to tow it on your first outing.

Also if the owner tells you that the AC just needs a little gassing and it will work, then that is a sign that there is more to that story.
If it was just a simple thing as re-gassing the system then he would have done it and make the car more marketable and enjoyable for even him to use (I mean who doesn't like AC these days).

Take your time, don't rush a purchase that you will regret in the future as it's not chump change you are dealing with.

Sorry for the long read.

vally
Ricer

Postby vally » April 1st, 2015, 9:40 am

Thanks for the advice. What about importing a vehicle? I see I could save a lil money. Some say that is like buying cat in bag but I wondering if with careful research the importation avenue is a viable option.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 1st, 2015, 10:07 am

If you have the time as it take around 3 months to reach here.

Thing is with importing your own vehicle you must be aware of the following:

You must have your import license (Ministry of trade I think) DO NOT purchase the car before getting this license as if it is not granted to you your car will remain on the port.

This may take some time to obtain, then you purchase the car after viewing the pictures etc.
Wait three months, then clear the car off the port ( a Customs Broker is required).
Take the car to Bureau of Standards for inspection then you can license/register.

Again, its all about waiting and a few runarounds.
As for "cat in bag" do some research on the dealers you are buying from and also when choosing a car, look for the highest grade although the price may be a bit high the grades are a great way of ensuring that the car is in good condition.

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » April 1st, 2015, 10:39 am

3mnths :rofl:

vally
Ricer

Postby vally » April 6th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Any ideas at reputable RORO importers who actually bring in high grade cars and not those who bring in a low grade and then tell the customer ' is a real good car'?

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 6th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Bought my last Tiida from Vishnu's in Chaguanas.

Great cars and wide range to choose from.

corolla101
Riding on 13's

Postby corolla101 » April 13th, 2015, 7:15 am

best buy is a roro...buying local is like buying someone else headache unless you score a bess deal...I bought a ae101 as my first really good car and no major issues to this date anything Toyota would last a while with little to no issues

markmaddness
Street 2NR

Postby markmaddness » April 28th, 2015, 6:15 pm

It all depends on how much time you got op. For that budget you find a really good locally used car that may be more reliable than a RORO. For convenience go RORO, also visit as much reputable dealerships as possible before committing.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”