TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

HSSE Guidelines: Auto Safety - Rainy Season

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

HSSE Guidelines: Auto Safety - Rainy Season

Postby NorStar2K » May 26th, 2010, 9:29 am

Folks!

The rainy season is finally here, but with it comes its own set of automotive hazards. Here are several guidelines that I hope ensure your safe motoring while on the nation’s roads.

Routine Maintenance of your vehicle in extremely important to ensure the road-worthiness of your vehicle, but pay closer attention to the following:

Wiper Blades

When it comes to driving in rain, having a good set of wiper blades is key.
Why?: Badly working blades reduce visibility and may cause you to have an accident.

Brakes and Brake Disc Pads (Pads/Shoes)

Routine maintenance of your braking system to ensure there are no leaks, fluid top-up, etc. Change brake pads/shoes once determined to be worn.

Why?: Longer stopping distances are required when braking on wet roads, especially in poor visibility. Nothing is more important than your car's ability to STOP.

Tyres (Tires)

Check for tyre wear (cutting) and thread wear. If determined to be severely worn – change them. Check your spare tyre’s condition and inflation.

Why?: Worn tyres reduce the degree of grip especially on wet roads, and in heavy braking may cause you to skid out of control or even cause a ‘blowout’.

NB: Ensure you have all of your tyre changing tools including the jack in your car.

Air Conditioning / Heat Blower

Check that your AC system is properly gassed, and there are no leaks. The blower should also be working properly according specifications.

Why?: In rainy conditions, your vehicle’s internal temperature rises considerably causing the surround glass to ‘fog’ quickly, reducing visibility of the road creating a very dangerous situation. The heat blower is necessary for clearing rapid ‘fogging’ of the windshield.

Electrical

Check Head, Brake, Tail, Hazard, Turning Signals & the Instrument cluster. Replace bulbs and fuses where necessary.

Check electrical harnesses for damage which may cause failures to brake-lights, etc. Ensure and alternator is charging properly. Check your battery, and replace if necessary.

Check your rear window defroster.

Why?: Poorly functioning lights reduce your visibility of others cars and pedestrians and vice-versa. A poorly functioning alternator make lead to a shutdown. A bad battery may mean you aren’t going anywhere soon. And, a fogged rear windshield severely hampers your visibility, creating a very dangerous situation.

Defensive Driving

Don’t tailgate! Extend your following distance, the poorer the visibility and road conditions, the longer the stopping distance required. Reduce your speed, keeping well below 80km/ph.

Support / Emergency Aid

If for some reason you find yourself disabled on the side of the highway, keep the following number(s) saved in your cell phone for quick assistance:

Police: 999, 911

EMS Ambulance: 811

ASSL Ambulance: 800-SAVE

Fire: 990

Roadside Assistance: e.g. 800-STAR; Autostar 800-7827; TCM 638-7130; 800-4ERS; Fyzam’s 645-0001/662-0001

NB: Check your auto insurance policy; you may have these services already attached to your policy.

Medical / Fire

Keep a small stocked First Aid kit and a minimum of a 5-lb CO2 (or Dry Chemical) extinguisher in your vehicle’s trunk.

Why the trunk? In an accident, any loose object(s) ‘flying’ around in the cabin can cause further injury.

And in any accident or fire, your first responsibility is to escape. Once it is safe to do so, you can then access your trunk, to retrieve the kit or extinguisher.

Drive Safely, Arrive Alive!

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: HSSE Guidelines: Auto Safety - Rainy Season

Postby crazybalhead » May 26th, 2010, 9:36 am

Good stuff.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 26th, 2010, 9:52 am

Changed my wiper blades on Sunday with some cheap blades at Peakes because the ones I had on were really bad. Great improvement but I feel they won't last long so I gonna try to get a better set soon.

Also contemplating using my solodex tyres as the treads are a bit deeper and have a lower treadwear rating..

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » May 26th, 2010, 9:54 am

great info...and thanks!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 26th, 2010, 9:55 am

As always, great info from norstar2k.

methinks i need to obtain a extinguisher and a first aid kit. where can one be purchased and is there some mounting mechanism for the trunk?
I aint talking about the rice extinguishers eh. proper stuff.

biggreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby biggreen » May 26th, 2010, 9:58 am

good info, thanks

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » May 26th, 2010, 10:04 am

norstar2k wrote:

Longer stopping distances are required when braking on wet roads, especially in poor visibility. Nothing is more important than your car's ability to STOP.

Check that your AC system is properly gassed, and there are no leaks. The blower should also be working properly according specifications.

Why?: In rainy conditions, your vehicle’s internal temperature rises considerably causing the surround glass to ‘fog’ quickly, reducing visibility of the road creating a very dangerous situation. The heat blower is necessary for clearing rapid ‘fogging’ of the windshield.

Defensive Driving

Don’t tailgate! Extend your following distance, the poorer the visibility and road conditions, the longer the stopping distance required. Reduce your speed, keeping well below 80km/ph.

^^Amen to that bro! Coming into PoS this morning and my a/c stopped working! Had to slow down to granny speed due to glass frosting up... :evil: and wiping frost with tissue paper.

Also - maintain at least two car lengths between you and the car in front. The brake disks are wet - and it takes a second when you mash before it dries to actually start holding. In that second you could travel more than a car's length before your brakes start holding. That's why the man say to slow down to below 80 kph :!:

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 26th, 2010, 10:07 am

Tired Accord wrote:
norstar2k wrote:

Longer stopping distances are required when braking on wet roads, especially in poor visibility. Nothing is more important than your car's ability to STOP.

Defensive Driving

^^Amen to that bro! Coming into PoS this morning and my a/c stopped working! Had to slow down to granny speed due to glass frosting up... :evil: and wiping frost with tissue paper.

Also - maintain at least two car lengths between you and the car in front. The brake disks are wet - and it takes a second when you mash before it dries to actually start holding. In that second you could travel more than a car's length before your brakes start holding. That's why the man say to slow down to below 80 kph :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yuh was driving the ole car?

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » May 26th, 2010, 10:31 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:As always, great info from norstar2k.

methinks i need to obtain a extinguisher and a first aid kit. where can one be purchased and is there some mounting mechanism for the trunk?
I aint talking about the rice extinguishers eh. proper stuff.

Thanks man! I sent it to our Corporate Group and felt it was appropriate to share with Team 3NE2NR :)

You can get a first aid kit in any safety supply store. There are actually kits specific to vehicles.

Also, I prefer the CO2 vs the Dry Chem extinguisher. The main reason being the power quickly corrodes aluminum. In the end you may have extinguished the fire, but you'll need a new engine.

Yes, the CO2 has limitations outdoors because of the rapid displacement of the CO2 by O2 but in the restricted space of the engine compartment the CO2 is successful especially due to its rapidly cooling properties.

Get a 5-lb. unit. The 2.5Lb is too small to be really effective, especially in a cabin fire.

A 5-lb ABC costs appx. $250-$350. And a 5-lb CO2 costs appx. $650-750, but is the better buy of the two.

biggreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby biggreen » May 26th, 2010, 10:32 am

good info, thanks

srnoth
Trinituner Peong

Postby srnoth » May 26th, 2010, 10:54 am

norstar2k wrote:Defensive Driving

Agreed... you would be surprised at how much longer a distance it takes a car to stop in the wet. Esp on older cars with no ABS. Also need to approach intersections with more caution... if a light changes quickly to red and you may have been able to stop in the dry... that may not be the case in the wet. Esp if you try to stop suddenly and end up skidding.

However if you are going to keep well below 80kph, please also keep in the middle/left lane. Rain doesn't change the law of keeping left except when overtaking, and driving really slow in the overtaking lane creates even more of a hazard as people are approaching faster than you from behind and end up with a traffic jam collecting behind you as they now have to switch to another lane to pass you.

Licensed to Walk!
3NE 2NR for life
Location: Refusing to beg ppl to do the job they're being paid for!

Postby Licensed to Walk! » May 26th, 2010, 10:54 am

norstar2k, great thread.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 26th, 2010, 11:08 am

Tired Accord wrote:Also - maintain at least two car lengths between you and the car in front. The brake disks are wet - and it takes a second when you mash before it dries to actually start holding. In that second you could travel more than a car's length before your brakes start holding. That's why the man say to slow down to below 80 kph :!:

dude that is wrong eh...............minimum following distance at any speed is 3 seconds behind the car in front. For every additional hazard,you add at least one second
so 3sec + 1 for wet road + 1 for poor visibility

the outdated convention of car lengths as outlined in the regs is one car length for every 15kph / 10mph
This is a very poor system for judging a safe following distance

Cooper
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby Cooper » May 26th, 2010, 2:43 pm

^^^^

X2

Well said MG Man

...exactly what is taught in most Defensive Driving Courses.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » May 26th, 2010, 9:37 pm

HSSE = Health Safety Security Environment

ur post did not contain anything abt security :|

DJames
Street 2NR

Postby DJames » May 26th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Oh gosh people so need to know this!! Someone call TV6 this needs to air on tv because there are a lot of idiots out there.

Defensive Driving

Just today had to deal with this crap. Rain falling from since the day before so the road basically soaked but no people still want to do 110kmh on the main road, the southern main road!! This one taxi driver decide I going too slow for him so he only looking to overtake, riding my bumper, finally get a chance by driving into oncoming traffic causing that driver to break hard. The sad part was that I passed him three times with my same slow driving. Notable mention - rain was still falling. Hope he had good everything. Poor passengers!

Doing a defensive driving course should be mandatory for ALL holders of a driving license.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » May 29th, 2010, 4:12 am

Tired Accord wrote:
norstar2k wrote:

Defensive Driving

I try to maintain the distance but their are some people who feel thy drive "super cars" and squeeze in front.

Daren 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Daren 3NE 2NR » May 29th, 2010, 11:10 am

I think you should also mention that Hazard lights should not be used when driving through heavy rain, as your indicators won't work when hazard lights are on.

GVTrini07
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GVTrini07 » May 30th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Rain Clear/ Rain off whatever you call it, works wonders as an assist for the wiper blades from my experience.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » May 30th, 2010, 3:36 pm

great info......all checked and ready for the rains.......!!!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 31st, 2010, 11:34 pm

I have a question,

if you shut down on the highway 2-3 in the morning, (due to lack of diesel/gas)
Police guh come save yuh?

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » June 26th, 2010, 12:40 am

Well done!!!!

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » July 5th, 2010, 11:09 am

ABA Trading LTD wrote:I have a question,

if you shut down on the highway 2-3 in the morning, (due to lack of diesel/gas)
Police guh come save yuh?

Police?...save? u mean trinidad police?

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » July 5th, 2010, 7:15 pm

bushwakka wrote:HSSE = Health Safety Security Environment

ur post did not contain anything abt security :|

Are you serious? A single HSSE notice or guide doesn't have to cover all areas dude!

firstaidkits
Riding on 13's

Auto first aid kits

Postby firstaidkits » March 17th, 2011, 9:06 am

For any kind of first hand treatment of any aliment or injuries, a First Aid kit is a must. Whether you are at home, in your car, or at the office, the first aid kits are indispensable. The one we use at home is either assembled or purchased from a chemist outlet, but industrial kits vary due to many reasons. It might be the region or work. It can also be the government regulation.

For more details visit us at
Boat first aid kits :angel:

Mit_Dynasty
Ricer

Postby Mit_Dynasty » August 2nd, 2011, 1:46 pm

MG Man wrote:
Tired Accord wrote:Also - maintain at least two car lengths between you and the car in front. The brake disks are wet - and it takes a second when you mash before it dries to actually start holding. In that second you could travel more than a car's length before your brakes start holding. That's why the man say to slow down to below 80 kph :!:

dude that is wrong eh...............minimum following distance at any speed is 3 seconds behind the car in front. For every additional hazard,you add at least one second
so 3sec + 1 for wet road + 1 for poor visibility

the outdated convention of car lengths as outlined in the regs is one car length for every 15kph / 10mph
This is a very poor system for judging a safe following distance

And this is correct as taught in Defensive driving. The 3 second rule + 1 second for every adverse condition.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 2nd, 2011, 9:48 pm

Daren 3NE 2NR wrote:I think you should also mention that Hazard lights should not be used when driving through heavy rain, as your indicators won't work when hazard lights are on.

Duane, just to update this, I now own two cars that anticipate this level of stupidity, so with the hazards on, if I flick the indicator on, it switches to indicator mode, and then back to hazard mode when I turn the indicator off..........one of the cars also turns on the headlights automatically once the wipers are on for a specified period...

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » August 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am

cherokee does that as well

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 3rd, 2011, 7:44 pm

still need to get a car that throws on the hazards when I slam brakes

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » July 21st, 2013, 11:08 pm

All the time I here and never opened this thread. Nice info.
With that said, I need to get a good pair of wipers.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”