TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby aaron17 » March 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Benefit of drl...

- if you drive towards a (front) parked /stopped car on the side of the road...you would know if the car's engine is on. So you would know in advance to be careful if he/she pulls out jus so.

- during the day due to some light conditions that blend the vehicle in the background...the drl pops/stands out for visibility.

- not ideal for dusk conditions.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 27th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Heard of this issue....
Hilux had a fuel guage sensor fail on the dash. Instead of having to jus change the sensor alone..you have to change the entire cluster readout..wtf..and more money to do that.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » March 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm

I hear you on gimmick features like paddle shifters on a 1.6L engine. Cruise control I disagree. I drive up and down the highway for work and I want cruise control, furthermore, I want dynamic cruise control so the car will slow and accelerate itself, cuz I know people gonna reply to me saying 'yeah but you have to disengage the cruise control every 5 mins cuz people driving slow in the overtake lane'. Dynamic cruise control is built for this. This is pretty much a standard feature in other countries. I just took a peek inside a X5 and a Porsche Macan, both had cruise control but niether had dynamic cruise control. Seriously Trinidad.

Also drove a Vezel RS for 3 months - Cruise control. Personally it made no sense as we don't have the clear roads to use it to actually benefit from it. I drive the longest road everyday North South 50km Mt hope to South . the level of traffic we have everyday too much to have a positive use of Cruise Control.

Also i kept forgetting the Key fob in car or in pocket... personally prefer the tradition Key ignition.

Unless u drive @2am in the morning when no one is on the road.

Yeah... This is why I specified 'Dynamic / Adaptive cruise control. It slows and accelerates the car by itself, using radar or a camera mounted infront the car. You probably had 'basic on/off' cruise control like most vehicles in Trinidad. I drive hertz cars with dynamic cruise control all the time on highways in Miami with cars all over, and it slows and accelerates itself. Makes cruise control much much more useful.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » March 27th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Interesting discussion on the korean cars ...

One advantage of them is the fact that a fully loaded tucson can be had for around 100K less than a fully loaded CRV/RAV4/Forester.

The question you have to ask yourself if you in the market for new car is if its worth more to deal with some headache or to fork out an extra 100K

I know a few people who would choose the Korean and deal with the problems as they arise vs forking over 100K of their hard earned dollars.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 29th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Basically the question is, is a $410k CRV, $419k Xtrail or $459k Forester worth it over the likes of a $329k Tucson? That's a difference of $81k, $90k and $130k respectively.

So the Tucson is as fast as the CRV but will planass the other 2. It has more or less the same features with some additions but it doesn't have EyeSight. Tucson may not be as spacious but it shares the same warranty specifics as the other 3.

Can rate of depreciation be a proper measure of overall value?

A 2017 CRV fully loaded sells for what right now? $280k?

What about a 2017 Xtrail? You think an owner can call $250k and get it sold?

What about the Forester? You think a used 2017 Forester XT can be fetched for more than a CRV?

A 2017 Tucson on the other hand. Would you say an owner can comfortably get $200k for it? If we use the CRV vs Tucson figures then a CRV might maintain the same price difference in the used vehicle market. Even if a Tucson owner is fortunate enough to sell their vehicle at $200k, that's still almost the same difference separating the 2 new fully loaded units when brand new sitting in a showroom. I can almost bet with surety, the CRV would be more reliable and your drive experience would be better.

So if someone was cross shopping between a CRV and Tucson, the wiser choice and easier sell for me would be the Honda. If the potential buyer can't make the additional payments for a CRV, all in all, the Tucson is acceptable but you might as well get the cheaper (by $61k Kia Sportage). You wont have a problematic DCT on your hands and you may not be as fast but your resale loss would be less. That's why Sportages sell like hops bread. The value proposition is there.
Last edited by agent007 on March 29th, 2021, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » March 29th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Excellent write up

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » March 30th, 2021, 11:20 am

Screenshot_20210330_112015.jpeg

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » April 1st, 2021, 9:35 am

Any thoughts on the 1.6 Subaru XV? Is it super dead or sufficient? Highway driving.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 1st, 2021, 11:02 am

feeldavibe wrote:Any thoughts on the 1.6 Subaru XV? Is it super dead or sufficient? Highway driving.
Very capable. Book your test drive and take it over the lady young, You'll get your answer

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » April 1st, 2021, 1:29 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
feeldavibe wrote:Any thoughts on the 1.6 Subaru XV? Is it super dead or sufficient? Highway driving.
Very capable. Book your test drive and take it over the lady young, You'll get your answer

Going Saturday, I'll report back.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » April 1st, 2021, 6:36 pm

Before I test drove the XV I was convinced it would struggle up the Lady Young because I watched tons of reviews on the 2.0 and 1.6 saying how lethargic they were.
Moving away from a 2.0T, 1.7 Vtec, 1.6 VVTI and an HR16DE, I'll admit I wasn't disappointed. The CVT in the XV is well engineered. Keep an open mind and consider the car for exactly what it is, a well engineered AWD raised Impreza hatchback. There are times I miss the power from a turbo but I've never drove the XV and felt buyer's remorse.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm

mtec wrote:Before I test drove the XV I was convinced it would struggle up the Lady Young because I watched tons of reviews on the 2.0 and 1.6 saying how lethargic they were.
Moving away from a 2.0T, 1.7 Vtec, 1.6 VVTI and an HR16DE, I'll admit I wasn't disappointed. The CVT in the XV is well engineered. Keep an open mind and consider the car for exactly what it is, a well engineered AWD raised Impreza hatchback. There are times I miss the power from a turbo but I've never drove the XV and felt buyer's remorse.

The 1.6 or 2.0?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 2nd, 2021, 1:29 am

Actually the XV 1.6 is not as lethargic as say the Impreza 1.6 TS from over a decade ago. The new FB16 motor has variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust cams and the engine no longer has the parasitic loss of having a belt driven hydraulic power assist steering rack.

Further, those TS's barely made 94hp and 138Nm of peak torque. The new XV has 113hp and 150Nm of peak torque and that Lineartronic CVT truly enjoys a symbiotic relationship with that new boxer 4.

Here's some bonus points for those still not convinced. Said XV 1.6 still uses electronic multipoint (port) fuel injection and not direct fuel injection so if clogged intake valves is something you detest, then you know what to do. Besides, with all the radar timing and demerit points in we tail, how much speed you really want?

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » April 2nd, 2021, 7:21 am

I test drove the 1.6 and started paper work the very same day to purchase. I should have asked to test a 2.0 but the price difference took me way over budget anyway.

ALady4ALady
Ricer

Postby ALady4ALady » April 2nd, 2021, 7:22 am

❇️❇Happy Holiday, all.❇❇️

✍︎✔️I pay attention to your thread and this is my little contibution. I had visited KIA to view the Seltos but saw a disappointing sub-market version which wouldn't be allowed at all in other countries. Then, I went to Massy to have a better look at the XV. I found it quite small and compact in the cabin and the cargo area. The best attraction it had was that:
▪️ it is Japanese,
▪️ has the "Eye-sight" system,
▪️ ground clearence, and
▪️the 7 airbags.

I know some of you are going to think, "But la...dy! It has a Boxer engine and it is AWD." However, neither is an important idea to me. Granted, if another Japanese-carmarker were to produce similar attractions, would there be buyer's remorse? Probably... so I passed on the XV.

ℹ️ Being the New-car Forum, I just love this Corolla Cross vehicle. Someone earlier had stated the lure of at least the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) on the long North-South trip and the presenter had tested the 5 safety mechanisms for effectiveness. I really hope this comes to local markets (at a competitive price).

If interested, you'll probably need to turn on closed captions>gear>translate>English to understand the Vietnamese explanation. Even Uncle Scotty was harping about Toyota's new little CUV/Wagon. This is just my little contribution.

https://youtu.be/jJ7aQNkLWl4

(Apologies. I don't know how to directly insert the video.)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 2nd, 2021, 2:29 pm

Mtec, congrats on making a great choice!

Alady4alady, what did you eventually decide on? I agree the 2 airbag Seltos being a 3rd world lackluster product. They even bringing down a cheaper one known as the Sonet.

Did you consider the CX-30 or Eclipse? Both have good crash safety reviews and sells in first world countries and not restricted to third world Asian and Caribbean dumping ground markets alone. Both (like the XV) are still made in Japan!!! Another worthy contender is the Vitara (made in Hungary though). If you don't mind a grey market import, you cant go wrong with a CHR 1.2T.

Good luck.

ALady4ALady
Ricer

Postby ALady4ALady » April 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm

Thank you for the reply, agent007.

The only Mitsubishi vehicles that I had liked were the sedans aka Galants lol and the rally Lancer (Google calls it an EVO IV).
The Mazda is like Goldilocks vehicles; CX-30 is too small... and the CX-5 is too big.
Nissan is Nossan.

Already have the Vitara and I'm looking to give her a companion. lol
Waiting to see what Honda and Toyota have in store for our local market.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » April 3rd, 2021, 7:04 pm

Fellas

Anyone knows which WRX Massy sells? Is it the UK/Euro spec? I know it isn’t JDM

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 4th, 2021, 4:02 am

Made in Japan, 2.5 export.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » April 4th, 2021, 7:31 am

agent007 wrote:Made in Japan, 2.5 export.

Not the STi. The WRX with the CVT transmission

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 4th, 2021, 11:07 am

Somebody say evo
ALady4ALady wrote:Thank you for the reply, agent007.

The only Mitsubishi vehicles that I had liked were the sedans aka Galants lol and the rally Lancer (Google calls it an EVO IV).
The Mazda is like Goldilocks vehicles; CX-30 is too small... and the CX-5 is too big.
Nissan is Nossan.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 4th, 2021, 12:31 pm

ALady4ALady wrote:Thank you for the reply, agent007.

Nissan is Nossan.

Wish the cx4 would have been here. Would be on that like dat!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 4th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Cx4 is china only so cx30 it is. Cx3 small but boi it have some toes.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 5th, 2021, 9:26 am

Cx30 has too much plastic on the body.
Only workaround is a dark color but why bother since cx4 exists. That rel piss me off.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » April 5th, 2021, 11:53 pm

agent007 wrote:Cx4 is china only so cx30 it is. Cx3 small but boi it have some toes.

That Cx-3 is ridiculously fast for a regular car. Had one as a courtesy car while southern sales dealt with some defects on my other mazda. Wow!!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 6th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Joe, sorry to hear about that bro. You getting through with SS? Mind I ask which model Mazda?

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » April 6th, 2021, 9:00 pm

I looked at the XV Today - pretty nice. The 1.6 iSight has many of the safety features I'm looking at - however saw a lot of online reviews bashing the 2.0 engine so I could only imagine the 1.6. I did not test drive as I'm still looking around a bit.

j.o.e

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby j.o.e » April 6th, 2021, 11:38 pm

agent007 wrote:Joe, sorry to hear about that bro. You getting through with SS? Mind I ask which model Mazda?

Was nothing major. SS had agreed to fix minor paint defects and scratches found on delivery and gave me cash back before I even saw the scratches. Car was bought unseen as stock was limited. Mazda 2 hatch purchased for mother. I have a decent relationship with SS although they are far from the best

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 7th, 2021, 3:45 am

Looking to buy a new Suzuki Vitara....maybe a mid trim.Are they good? Where do they service these?

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » April 7th, 2021, 8:09 am

aaron17 wrote:Looking to buy a new Suzuki Vitara....maybe a mid trim.Are they good? Where do they service these?

Vitara is a pretty solid vehicle, so in short, yes they are good. Cool thing about the Vitara is that it comes with a range of trim options:

GL - $189,950
GL+ - $204,950
GLX 2WD - $232,950
GLX 2WD (Panoramic Sunroof) - $239,950
GLX All-Grip (Panoramic Sunroof) - $257,950

If you buy it new from Lifestyle Motors, best place to service would be at the firm, moreso to ensure that you do not void that 5year/100,000km warranty.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”