TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am

Question is, who does the red better?
20210322_112338.jpeg
20210322_112137.jpeg
20210322_112102.jpeg

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » March 22nd, 2021, 12:20 pm

Think the new civic arriving before the year ends?

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » March 22nd, 2021, 12:45 pm

Agent, the Mazda's are non CVT now? I know older generations were CVT which made it a big no for me

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » March 22nd, 2021, 3:01 pm

agent007 wrote:Question is, who does the red better?
20210322_112102.jpeg
20210322_112137.jpeg
20210322_112338.jpeg
Mazda hands down..even the older solid red was nice... and I dont like red cars, more of a grayscale guy

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:32 pm

Oh? AFAIK, Mazda never offered CVT. The CVT crowd is Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Audi, and as of recent, Hyundai/Kia.
Kronik wrote:Agent, the Mazda's are non CVT now? I know older generations were CVT which made it a big no for me

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:36 pm

Agreed. I find the Subaru red is loud enough to join the fire services fleet.

Mitsubishi has a red for its Eclipse crossover that customers have to pay $6k extra for. So that should be good too and from the looks of it, it's not bad at all.
rebound wrote:
20210322_112102.jpeg
20210322_112137.jpeg
20210322_112338.jpeg
Mazda hands down..even the older solid red was nice... and I dont like red cars, more of a grayscale guy

RE Amemiya
Riding on 13's

Postby RE Amemiya » March 22nd, 2021, 6:17 pm

carluva wrote:My picks will be:

Mazda 3

Toyota Corolla

Suzuki Swift (even the sport as well if you fancy)

Even though you said no SUV, you could look at the smaller ones such as:

Subaru XV

Suzuki Vitara

Mazda CX30

Thanks for the input. I like the Swift but it might prove to be somewhat of an inconvenience with some passengers. Leaning towards the Mazda 3 again.

RE Amemiya
Riding on 13's

Postby RE Amemiya » March 22nd, 2021, 6:21 pm

agent007 wrote:Amemiya, so you want a small sedan for around $200k and you don't want a third world vehicle (like those indian made stuff).

Well with that said your options are:

Toyota Corolla 1.6
Honda Civic 1.6 and 1.5T
Nissan Sentra 1.6
Mazda 3 1.5
Subaru Impreza 1.6 awd
Hyundai Elantra 1.6
Kia Cerato 1.6
Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T

I could have included the:
Toyota Yaris 1.3
Mazda 2 1.5
Suzuki Swift 1.2
Suzuki Dzire 1.2
Hyundai Accent 1.6
Kia Rio 1.4
Chevrolet Sonic 1.6

Whilst from the Yaris all the way to the Sonic are pretty nice sub-compact cars, given your budget and taste, it may be better (in terms of safety and features) that we stick to the bigger segment known as compact cars.

My comments are:

Corolla - too basic and pricey but resale value and perceived reliability is there which is hard to ignore

Civic 1.6 - nice no doubt. Rather it over any model of the Corolla. The 1.5T is more pricey but the power will spoil you. To make things fair to the others, we will leave the turbo out in this comparison.

Sentra - will make a basic Corolla seem like a fully loaded. I'm just surprised this 9 year old design basic box of a vehicle is still being sold.

Mazda 3 - hands down the best looking inside and out. Nice and unique features too especially when compared to the Civic and Corolla. 6AT transmission is also a winner since some hate CVTs

Impreza - it may be a bit heavy in weight thanks to standard awd and the 1.6 might seem over taxed, but the drive dynamics in this one is pretty hard to beat. Mind you, with a sea of fwd poser "SUVs" out there, this car will sure embarrass these posers in light off roading.

Elantra/Cerato - I'll group these 2 together because they share platforms, drivetrains and suspensions etc. let's be real here...when you opt for the highest spec available locally, you get a lot of features, especially with the Elantra. They are built in South Korea but I expect resale value to plummet at a faster rate than the Jap branded cars above. In terms of reliability, it appears (especially with Kia's) as they age, gremlins can pop up often.

Cruze - I'm not sure what's going on with this car. One minute I'm hearing GM is pulling out of all RHD production and then I'm hearing on the other hand, GM's Mexico and Argentina plants are still producing RHD vehicles for export markets. One thing that seems obvious at this point, some automakers are pulling out of certain genres and it appears GM may very well discontinue the Cruze when it becomes EoL. This will affect resale value when that bridge comes. For the price, features, safety and power, it's not a bad choice.

Essentially my picks are:

Honda Civic 1.6, Mazda 3 1.5 and Subaru Impreza 1.6.

If you hate CVT then Mazda is your answer.

If you want awd then Subaru is your answer.

If you want the most spacious interior of the 3 then Honda is your answer.

Since our TTPS are in zero tolerance mode on a daily basis, I dont think speed and power should be main attributes towards decision making. I would think handling, drive quality, comfort, features and safety would be high ticket items to have. Based on that note, I would say the top 2 picks would be the Subie and the Mazda and judging from your screen name, I think I know what your eventual pick would be :wink:

Good luck and all the best to you. Let us know what you decide!

Thank you for the super detailed response, I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 again, I really like it but I'm worried about Southern Sales afterservice.

It's either down to the Mazda 3 or Impreza Sedan... I feel like the Civic doesn't offer much compared to these two. AWD might be a decent option on some of the back roads that aren't paved too well.

And yeah, I'm not too focused on speed and power, I don't mind the smaller engines that these cars come with. I'm a rather defensive driver despite having an interest in tuner culture lol.

The red Mazda 3 is super sexy as well.
Last edited by RE Amemiya on March 22nd, 2021, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RE Amemiya
Riding on 13's

Postby RE Amemiya » March 22nd, 2021, 6:22 pm

20210322_112102.jpeg20210322_112137.jpeg20210322_112338.jpeg

IMO, the Mazda 3, but I feel like the pictures don't do it justice.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » March 22nd, 2021, 6:59 pm

rebound wrote:
20210322_112102.jpeg
20210322_112137.jpeg
20210322_112338.jpeg
Nardo grey

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 22nd, 2021, 7:09 pm

The mazda soul red paint is too thin...and maybe hard to paint back. I think its easily prone to rock chips too..

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 22nd, 2021, 7:11 pm

RE Amemiya wrote:Need some advice on purchasing a new sedan.

I prefer smaller sedans over SUVs despite our roads worsening, I find them easier to drive and to park them in tight spaces such as the streets of POS.

I don't mean to brag but I've got decent financing however I don't want to buy any luxury vehicles for the unwanted attention. I could probably finance up to 400,000 but I am not looking to spend that, maybe around half, I do wish I could buy an A class Benz but it's Trinidad and as I said earlier, the unwanted attention.

I really really like the Mazda 3 however I've been advised by many colleagues to avoid anything Southern Sales.

I was looking at the Toyota Corolla and it looks like a solid choice but in my opinion it seems overpriced for what it offers. I could say the same about the Honda Civic. The Sentra looks really basic as well and a lot inferior compared to the other two.

Which leaves me with the Subaru Impreza, it seems like this car while more expensive than the competition, you actually get what you pay for (AWD, etc.) however I personally find the design really basic.

I may opt for the Subaru base model but the design has me thinking twice. Anything else I should consider?

This sh!t is driving me crazy, been spending nights researching vehicles. I don't want any cheap 3rd world Indian made stuff. I want a quality and reliable car.
Just a thought..
Tyre size for potholes.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:01 pm

aaron17 wrote:
rebound wrote:
20210322_112102.jpeg
20210322_112137.jpeg
20210322_112338.jpeg
Nardo grey
I wanna wrap my np300 in nardo so bad

Redo6
Riding on 13's

Postby Redo6 » March 22nd, 2021, 11:15 pm

CH R vs Rav 4 vs XV

So everyone I'm thinking of buying a vehicle not brand new but looking at a price range arnd 180k to 200k.
Aarnd this price in the suv/crossover category is the 2018 1.2T CHR foreign used
Local used Rav 4 (2016)
2018 XV 1.6 foreign used

One of my criteria is safety(young child) and I know Subaru are spot on with this. But I'm thinking the chr will be similar tho.

Anyways what would u guys choose and why?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 22nd, 2021, 11:21 pm

Isn't the swift made or assembled in india...
RE Amemiya wrote:
carluva wrote:My picks will be:

Mazda 3

Toyota Corolla

Suzuki Swift (even the sport as well if you fancy)

Even though you said no SUV, you could look at the smaller ones such as:

Subaru XV

Suzuki Vitara

Mazda CX30

Thanks for the input. I like the Swift but it might prove to be somewhat of an inconvenience with some passengers. Leaning towards the Mazda 3 again.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » March 23rd, 2021, 10:56 am

I had a PCC Mazda 3 from Southern Sales. I typically serviced in POS - no issues really - except this one time where they did not have rotors in stock and was taking months to order. A standard part such as rotors should be in stock.

I serviced once in south - and TBH it was a very bad experience.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » March 23rd, 2021, 11:05 am

How long is it taking to get a car in your garage now? Last time it took me two months from show room to my garage. This was about 5 years ago. Looking to get something this September just wanted to know when to start visiting the St(d)ealers.

foss

Postby foss » March 23rd, 2021, 11:26 am

agent007 wrote:Agreed. I find the Subaru red is loud enough to join the fire services fleet.

Mitsubishi has a red for its Eclipse crossover that customers have to pay $6k extra for. So that should be good too and from the looks of it, it's not bad at all.
rebound wrote:
20210322_112102.jpeg20210322_112137.jpeg20210322_112338.jpeg

I love the Subaru XV red ! :lol:

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 23rd, 2021, 12:16 pm

Cloudboi, sorry I now saw your post. Don’t hold your breath on that one. I have a feeling we will see it in 2022.

Redo6, since all 3 of your options are used and the RAV4 being a local, my choice would be the RAV4 first. Scrutinize the roro CHR and XV properly because you don’t want issues in the short to medium term. Roro vehicles 99% of the time suffer from roll back mileage/kms and tampered odometers. All things being equal, my 2nd choice would be the XV. I heard the CHR 1.2T isn’t all that because a roro contact I have ran an Altis 1.6 vs said CHR and he claims Altis won hands down. But who cares about speed anyway, I just included that anecdotal account just in case you heard turbo and got happy about it. Drive them and see which one suits you best. Good luck!

Kamakazi, I know the Ciaz is! Not sure on Swift.

Triniboi, we had 2 Mazda 3’s with SS purchased in 2006. Basically our beef with them was that they did not have certain sensors in stock and a window switch. I know it was all down hill for them since that time but maybe with all the changes internally, things might have improved. The most recent purchase, a 2019 CX5 has 0 issues to-date with vehicle and dealer since it’s simply routine servicing.

Foss, 1 thing I like is that it would be easier on the pocket if there’s need to paint over a bumper for example, since it’s just pure red and not metallic red.

Redo6
Riding on 13's

Postby Redo6 » March 23rd, 2021, 1:04 pm

Agent007, much thanks for the info.
Speed isn't what I'm concerned abt tbh.
Was looking for a safer vehicle for the family, I know the Subaru is very good with safety.
But not sure how they stack up wrt space.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 23rd, 2021, 1:07 pm

^^^some roro subies have 2 airbags eh. Just check and confirm if the one you’re interested in has the full 7. I know all local RAV4s of that generation came standard with 7 airbags.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 23rd, 2021, 1:41 pm

Redo6 wrote:CH R vs Rav 4 vs XV

So everyone I'm thinking of buying a vehicle not brand new but looking at a price range arnd 180k to 200k.
Aarnd this price in the suv/crossover category is the 2018 1.2T CHR foreign used
Local used Rav 4 (2016)
2018 XV 1.6 foreign used

One of my criteria is safety(young child) and I know Subaru are spot on with this. But I'm thinking the chr will be similar tho.

Anyways what would u guys choose and why?

Hands down the local used 2016 RAV4. It is a good family vehicle and has 7 airbags. It is not very fast and coupled with the 7 speed CVT, rest assured that acceleration is bleh. Those last two comments are actual benefits, IMO, for the vehicle in consideration of what you are looking for.

The RAV4 has loads of space in the second row, and a very good sized boot.

Point to note - if you ae using 2 car seats in the back, that's it for space... you will have no room for an adult to fit in the middle. So, the RAV4 is good for a family of four. If you have more than 2 kids, or you are planning to have more than 2 kids, look for another vehicle.

By the way, I am giving you my personal experience as I currently own one.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 23rd, 2021, 1:49 pm

RE Amemiya wrote:
agent007 wrote:Amemiya, so you want a small sedan for around $200k and you don't want a third world vehicle (like those indian made stuff).

Well with that said your options are:

Toyota Corolla 1.6
Honda Civic 1.6 and 1.5T
Nissan Sentra 1.6
Mazda 3 1.5
Subaru Impreza 1.6 awd
Hyundai Elantra 1.6
Kia Cerato 1.6
Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T

I could have included the:
Toyota Yaris 1.3
Mazda 2 1.5
Suzuki Swift 1.2
Suzuki Dzire 1.2
Hyundai Accent 1.6
Kia Rio 1.4
Chevrolet Sonic 1.6

Whilst from the Yaris all the way to the Sonic are pretty nice sub-compact cars, given your budget and taste, it may be better (in terms of safety and features) that we stick to the bigger segment known as compact cars.

My comments are:

Corolla - too basic and pricey but resale value and perceived reliability is there which is hard to ignore

Civic 1.6 - nice no doubt. Rather it over any model of the Corolla. The 1.5T is more pricey but the power will spoil you. To make things fair to the others, we will leave the turbo out in this comparison.

Sentra - will make a basic Corolla seem like a fully loaded. I'm just surprised this 9 year old design basic box of a vehicle is still being sold.

Mazda 3 - hands down the best looking inside and out. Nice and unique features too especially when compared to the Civic and Corolla. 6AT transmission is also a winner since some hate CVTs

Impreza - it may be a bit heavy in weight thanks to standard awd and the 1.6 might seem over taxed, but the drive dynamics in this one is pretty hard to beat. Mind you, with a sea of fwd poser "SUVs" out there, this car will sure embarrass these posers in light off roading.

Elantra/Cerato - I'll group these 2 together because they share platforms, drivetrains and suspensions etc. let's be real here...when you opt for the highest spec available locally, you get a lot of features, especially with the Elantra. They are built in South Korea but I expect resale value to plummet at a faster rate than the Jap branded cars above. In terms of reliability, it appears (especially with Kia's) as they age, gremlins can pop up often.

Cruze - I'm not sure what's going on with this car. One minute I'm hearing GM is pulling out of all RHD production and then I'm hearing on the other hand, GM's Mexico and Argentina plants are still producing RHD vehicles for export markets. One thing that seems obvious at this point, some automakers are pulling out of certain genres and it appears GM may very well discontinue the Cruze when it becomes EoL. This will affect resale value when that bridge comes. For the price, features, safety and power, it's not a bad choice.

Essentially my picks are:

Honda Civic 1.6, Mazda 3 1.5 and Subaru Impreza 1.6.

If you hate CVT then Mazda is your answer.

If you want awd then Subaru is your answer.

If you want the most spacious interior of the 3 then Honda is your answer.

Since our TTPS are in zero tolerance mode on a daily basis, I dont think speed and power should be main attributes towards decision making. I would think handling, drive quality, comfort, features and safety would be high ticket items to have. Based on that note, I would say the top 2 picks would be the Subie and the Mazda and judging from your screen name, I think I know what your eventual pick would be :wink:

Good luck and all the best to you. Let us know what you decide!

Thank you for the super detailed response, I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 again, I really like it but I'm worried about Southern Sales afterservice.

It's either down to the Mazda 3 or Impreza Sedan... I feel like the Civic doesn't offer much compared to these two. AWD might be a decent option on some of the back roads that aren't paved too well.

And yeah, I'm not too focused on speed and power, I don't mind the smaller engines that these cars come with. I'm a rather defensive driver despite having an interest in tuner culture lol.

The red Mazda 3 is super sexy as well.

Realistically, the AWD will not really help on those back roads any more than a FWD car.

The AWD is more beneficial when there is loss of traction and for better road stability for example during cornering.

So don't be too hung up on the AWD vs FWD.

If you are concerned about the Mazda and the service of the dealer, perhaps look at the Corolla. It is not as kitted out as a Corolla, but should be a good contender in the long term.

I would still look at a Swift. You'd be surprised - 4 adults will be able to fit in that vehicle fairly comfortably for a ride up the highway or for a lunch run.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 23rd, 2021, 10:12 pm

AWD only helps when there is a loss of traction when accelerating. The only time it helps during cornering is when you are accelerating out of the corner. The only time it helps with stability is when you are accelerating on a slippery surface.
It doesn't help any other time. Have to make this distinction as people feel they can drive or corner faster, brake later, etc. in the wet, and the system will help them out.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 24th, 2021, 12:35 am

^^^good info. Now since not all awd systems are created equal, let us dive into 3 main types. NB. This discussion is not to be confused with 4wd, whether part-time or full-time.

1. Permanent awd - all 4 wheels spin with or without variable torque distribution paired with a transverse or longitudinally mounted 'inline', 'V' or 'W' shaped ICE

2. Permanent symmetrical awd - all 4 wheels spin with variable torque distribution paired with a longitudinally mounted horizontally opposed "boxer" ICE

3. Reactive awd - typically 2wd but upon sensing wheel slip via wheel sensors, the computer engages the diff clutch or transfer case thus becoming awd paired with a transverse or longitudinally mounted 'inline', 'V' or 'W' shaped ICE

I happen to have #2 (longitudinal boxer 4) and #3 (transverse inline 4).

My experience with #2 gives me the confidence to take corners at a higher speed as opposed to the other vehicle we have (#3). I believe built-in "torque vectoring" characteristics plays a roll here too. Mind you, our #3 has a more powerful engine than our #2. #2's ground clearance is higher yet the center of gravity is lower.

Further, #2 barely makes 113hp (a manufacturer claim). Whp would be what? 80 if I'm lucky? In heavy rain, #2 would embarrass vehicles that are more powerful that are 2wd because of traction. #2 is less likely to lose control due to hydroplaning. This is my experience and believe me, the amount of vehicles we have and had combined will give me many cool stories to back up my claims.

Of course, anybody can say anything right? Otherwise "anecdote" would not have been a word. In the absence of a scientific study done locally, I trust experience and of course exercising proper judgement whilst not being unreasonable, since, no driver and vehicle can ultimately defy the laws of physics.

Ofcourse, I welcome corrections as deemed fit.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 24th, 2021, 3:11 am

Ent small cars are not good in crashes?

Redo6
Riding on 13's

Postby Redo6 » March 24th, 2021, 5:04 am

Agent007 and carluva, thanks guys.
I'm hedging towards the local used Rav4 as well and that car seat info hit the spot dey lol
Question tho, 2016 rav4, would u forsee many maintenance issues in the best future...
As this is another consideration as well.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 24th, 2021, 6:15 am

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a ... -15202862/

The article is a bit old but the information is still relevant

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 24th, 2021, 7:55 am

With proper care and service, your maintenance regime should not have abnormal surprises.

The only foreseeable issue is steering column. While few and far between, it has affected RAV4. The sign is a kinda of squishy sound while turning the steering accompanied by a slight looseness of steering. The cause, as I understand, is due to a seal in the steering column. My RAV4 was under warranty when this occurred about three years ago and with several calls and elevating to higher management, a new steering column was ordered and replaced. My issue with TTTL was not that they didn't want to cover the replacement rather, noone could of advise with certainty on the status of the replacement.

I understand that the seal could be replaced but TTTL opted to replace the entire column as a "safeguard". Back then, the cost of the column was TT$22,000.

This issue is not rampant though, and the greater majority of vehicles are unaffected. I was just one of the unlucky ones.

Aside from that, you will be good to go with the 2016 model. Injectors may need to be replaced but that is fairly normal with any car. Just service your injectors regularly, do the regular tuneups and the recommended major maintenance at the correct intervals and your vehicle will be in tip top condition.

PS, if you would like a number for an excellent service tech, let me know. You can ask him to scan the car prior to purchase and perhaps do a quick general inspection (at your cost) and thereafter use him for your service. PM me if your are interested.
Redo6 wrote:Agent007 and carluva, thanks guys.
I'm hedging towards the local used Rav4 as well and that car seat info hit the spot dey lol
Question tho, 2016 rav4, would u forsee many maintenance issues in the best future...
As this is another consideration as well.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 24th, 2021, 8:13 am

By the way Redo6, if your budget can afford it, I will highly recommend a second hand Fortuner.

Without a doubt, that is quite possibly the best bang for buck second hand SUV out there whose engine is second only to a tank's.

While older than the RAV4, the versatility and reliability can't be beat.

Plus, it caters for a growing family should you and the other half decide to get more frisky in these times.

Talking from experience as well as I also own one which I purchased second hand.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”