TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby PariaMan » February 25th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Not suprising
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Its actually a lot cheaper to buy them in MIA and have it shipped as opposed to buying it here...several right hand drive vehicles there...right after we closed the deal, a few grand cherokees rolled...blasted mofos

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 25th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Really? You can get the RHD vehicles from dealerships in Miami and ship it down?

How much money would that cost, all in? I.e. cost of vehicle, freight, duties, taxes etc?

Also, is the engine a similar spec to what you can get here in Trinidad?
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Its actually a lot cheaper to buy them in MIA and have it shipped as opposed to buying it here...several right hand drive vehicles there...right after we closed the deal, a few grand cherokees rolled...blasted mofos

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 25th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Yup its confirmed. You can import your own RHD Jeep from the US. See article below written by Doug Demuro himself:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/you ... -us-256279

My browser history is going to look rather interesting thanks to this. Much thanks to shakes for this.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 25th, 2020, 5:49 pm

The limitation for LHD was returning resident owned more than 3 years or for taxi purposes or funeral services, along those lines.

Once RHD it doesn't matter where once not older than a certain age.

The Ford Raptor here was a UK conversion I believe. There is a UK company that makes conversions for those wanting a LHD vehicle that didn't have a RHD equivalent.

This is my belief and am subject to correction.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm

During our search we came to understand that Jeep, Chevy and Dodge build RHD vehicles for export only in the US. They would usually distribute their RHD to smaller businesses. So instead of going straight to the dealer you can go to small businessman...For eg, one place in MIA is known as collegeautosales...

Only thing is, if you purchase a RHD, make sure you sending it to the port one time otherwise prepare to pay some high storage fees.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 25th, 2020, 8:23 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:During our search we came to understand that Jeep, Chevy and Dodge build RHD vehicles for export only in the US. They would usually distribute their RHD to smaller businesses. So instead of going straight to the dealer you can go to small businessman...For eg, one place in MIA is known as collegeautosales...

Only thing is, if you purchase a RHD, make sure you sending it to the port one time otherwise prepare to pay some high storage fees.
Many of the RHD vehicles made in the US and Canada are made for and sold to mail carriers. Mail carriers provide and maintain their own vehicles for most of the routes.

Rural route postal delivery is to a roadside mailbox on the right side of the road. Many of the carriers prefer 4WD or AWD. I've seen a few Subaru RHD mail delivery cars.

For the US, I saw that 20,000 vehicles are provided by USPS but there are more than 300,000 rural route postal employees.

In the US and Canada, RHD is not in short supply at all. You will usually see them for sale on car lots in the plains states and provinces.Image

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 25th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Shakes you see what you caused lol? I'm checking every single search link in the US for RHD Chevys and Jeeps (I dont care for Ford).

Turns out as adnj indicated, there are a number of used USPS Jeeps for sale. There is a 2017 Wrangler 3.6L for $40k USD but when you take into consideration shipping, CIF, MVT and VAT, it came up to almost $690k TTD which isn't far from a new one @ LSM so that doesn't make sense.

If I can get my hands on a 2.0T instead, it will reduce costs significantly. As per Dave's comment, we dont have any RHD restrictions from the US, once it falls within 4yrs from date of manufacture.

I also came across a site from Australia that has RHD American pickups for sale which can be shipped here: https://american.com.au

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 26th, 2020, 4:55 am

agent007 wrote:Shakes you see what you caused lol? I'm checking every single search link in the US for RHD Chevys and Jeeps (I dont care for Ford).

Turns out as adnj indicated, there are a number of used USPS Jeeps for sale. There is a 2017 Wrangler 3.6L for $40k USD but when you take into consideration shipping, CIF, MVT and VAT, it came up to almost $690k TTD which isn't far from a new one @ LSM so that doesn't make sense.

If I can get my hands on a 2.0T instead, it will reduce costs significantly. As per Dave's comment, we dont have any RHD restrictions from the US, once it falls within 4yrs from date of manufacture.

I also came across a site from Australia that has RHD American pickups for sale which can be shipped here: https://american.com.au

bro you are not the only one...LOL.....When we first got it and I explained the procedure to people, they were like :shock: Everybody want to jump on a plane to MIA after :lol: Look at this site collegeautosale.com aka casmiami

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » February 27th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Recently I've been intrigued by the new CX-30 that Mazda has launched. Anyone know if we may be getting that here? The wife and I have been leaning towards the new Mazda 3 but if we are going to get the CX-30 here I would want to take a closer look at it.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » February 27th, 2020, 7:25 pm

New Mazda 3 is one fine looking car
pipser wrote:Recently I've been intrigued by the new CX-30 that Mazda has launched. Anyone know if we may be getting that here? The wife and I have been leaning towards the new Mazda 3 but if we are going to get the CX-30 here I would want to take a closer look at it.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 27th, 2020, 8:25 pm

PariaMan wrote:New Mazda 3 is one fine looking car
pipser wrote:Recently I've been intrigued by the new CX-30 that Mazda has launched. Anyone know if we may be getting that here? The wife and I have been leaning towards the new Mazda 3 but if we are going to get the CX-30 here I would want to take a closer look at it.

Those are nice cars but SSL is the absolute worst. Tried helping a lady in the office get an oil pressure sensor for her sportage, they have none in stock and refuse to give out the part number. They selling cars but cant stock a $170.00 part... and giving you attitude and headache on top of that.

Not to mention that their initial diagnosis was to pull down the engine, flush out the oil pan, replace the oil pump and all the seals. When it was just a bloddy oil pressure sensor....

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 27th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Massy for that. Don't beat up. Know plenty ppl buying parts in Massy. Most new car dealers aren't stocking parts as that is their working capital being tied up so they rather order the part after getting a downpayment.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » February 27th, 2020, 8:36 pm

That's why I'm hoping now that they are moving to a more global model it might be easier to find parts online. Honestly Mazda is such a good brand and it sucks that we have such a terrible dealer here.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 27th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Dave wrote:Massy for that. Don't beat up. Know plenty ppl buying parts in Massy. Most new car dealers aren't stocking parts as that is their working capital being tied up so they rather order the part after getting a downpayment.

Nah boy... I deal with Toyota, Neal and Massy, Sterling Battoo and they have mechanical/electrical parts...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 27th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Gladiator wrote:

Those are nice cars but SSL is the absolute worst. Tried helping a lady in the office get an oil pressure sensor for her sportage, they have none in stock and refuse to give out the part number. They selling cars but cant stock a $170.00 part... and giving you attitude and headache on top of that.

Not to mention that their initial diagnosis was to pull down the engine, flush out the oil pan, replace the oil pump and all the seals. When it was just a bloddy oil pressure sensor....

Try Massy for the identical part used in the Tucson.

Same thing works with Ranger and BT50. The

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 27th, 2020, 9:50 pm

rspann wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Thanks man spann.... she got it to buy at Jodhans in curepe... and you are correct same part for Hyundai and Kia.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 27th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Southern Sales has struck again:

A CONSTRUCTION company has sued a car firm for failing to replace a new Kia SUV it bought for $395,057.34, after it developed engine problems within a year of purchase.
Shasac Engineering and Construction Services Ltd, of Cipero Road, San Fernando, bought a new Kia Sorento Ex five-seater SUV in 2017 from Southern Sales and Service. A three-year or 100,000 kilometres written warranty was granted once the vehicle was used for the purpose it was manufactured for.

In a lawsuit filed by attorney Sofiyyah Caliph for Shasac, it claimed that within a year (February 2018) and when the Sorento had done a mere 37,000 km, the vehicle's steering rack and rubbers malfunctioned. Southern Sales agreed to replace them in February 2018.

But Caliph said in her lawsuit on Shasac's behalf, "The claimant's servant or agent was informed that the defendant did not stock that part and that the said steering rack had to be imported via sea freight and will arrive in approximately six weeks."
Caliph further said that when after six weeks Shasac contacted the firm, the service manager said that the parts had not yet arrived.

Shasac went on to contend in his lawsuit that in May 2018, a loud noise was heard coming from the engine. The Sorento had to be towed back to the firm. "Upon inspection, the service manager and one of the defendant's senior mechanic, agreed that the noise emanating from the engine was in fact louder than the noise they first heard in February," Shasac said.

The firm took back the vehicle and undertook to import a new engine from Miami. However, in December, the lawsuit said, neither the steering rack nor engine had arrived.
Shasac has pleaded that the firm had not given a timeline as to when the engine would be replaced. The company, which said that the vehicle is still in possession of the firm, is suing for breach of warranty and is claiming $395,057.34 in damages.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2020/02/27/constr ... aulty-car/

Let's not forget another SS issue with an Audi Q7:
viewtopic.php?t=733546

Let's not also forget TTTL and the Corolla issue:
viewtopic.php?t=717293

Lastly, Sterling and the Mercedes Benz court case:
viewtopic.php?t=665922

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » February 28th, 2020, 12:28 am

They don’t call them stealerships for nothing. Be wary of all.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » February 28th, 2020, 9:31 am

Gosh boy, you know other than a house a new car is probably the next biggest purchase you can make here and to read stories like this it can really scare off potential buyers because the stories are not all from one dealership but a few if not all.

agent007 wrote:Southern Sales has struck again:

A CONSTRUCTION company has sued a car firm for failing to replace a new Kia SUV it bought for $395,057.34, after it developed engine problems within a year of purchase.
Shasac Engineering and Construction Services Ltd, of Cipero Road, San Fernando, bought a new Kia Sorento Ex five-seater SUV in 2017 from Southern Sales and Service. A three-year or 100,000 kilometres written warranty was granted once the vehicle was used for the purpose it was manufactured for.

In a lawsuit filed by attorney Sofiyyah Caliph for Shasac, it claimed that within a year (February 2018) and when the Sorento had done a mere 37,000 km, the vehicle's steering rack and rubbers malfunctioned. Southern Sales agreed to replace them in February 2018.

But Caliph said in her lawsuit on Shasac's behalf, "The claimant's servant or agent was informed that the defendant did not stock that part and that the said steering rack had to be imported via sea freight and will arrive in approximately six weeks."
Caliph further said that when after six weeks Shasac contacted the firm, the service manager said that the parts had not yet arrived.

Shasac went on to contend in his lawsuit that in May 2018, a loud noise was heard coming from the engine. The Sorento had to be towed back to the firm. "Upon inspection, the service manager and one of the defendant's senior mechanic, agreed that the noise emanating from the engine was in fact louder than the noise they first heard in February," Shasac said.

The firm took back the vehicle and undertook to import a new engine from Miami. However, in December, the lawsuit said, neither the steering rack nor engine had arrived.
Shasac has pleaded that the firm had not given a timeline as to when the engine would be replaced. The company, which said that the vehicle is still in possession of the firm, is suing for breach of warranty and is claiming $395,057.34 in damages.

https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... p?t=733546

https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... p?t=717293

https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... p?t=665922

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » February 29th, 2020, 2:19 pm

I use this site https://www.kiapartsnow.com to determine the part number I need.

From there I can call Massy Motors, The motorist or Kia if desperate.
Ebay is also your best friend if you don't mind waithing.

The Motorist near the highway in curepe has been my go to place for the last year for suspension parts. Just yesterday I got some rear suspension links as soon as my mechanic said I needed them.
Gladiator wrote:
rspann wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Thanks man spann.... she got it to buy at Jodhans in curepe... and you are correct same part for Hyundai and Kia.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 29th, 2020, 9:50 pm

bgh wrote:I use this site https://www.kiapartsnow.com to determine the part number I need.

From there I can call Massy Motors, The motorist or Kia if desperate.
Ebay is also your best friend if you don't mind waithing.

The Motorist near the highway in curepe has been my go to place for the last year for suspension parts. Just yesterday I got some rear suspension links as soon as my mechanic said I needed them.
Gladiator wrote:
rspann wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Thanks man... this is very good info

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » March 1st, 2020, 9:59 am

agent007 wrote:Southern Sales has struck again:

viewtopic.php?t=733546

viewtopic.php?t=717293

viewtopic.php?t=665922
I always thought when a vehicle get to that point they provide a courtesy vehicle till the other is repaired.

agent007
punchin NOS

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » March 1st, 2020, 12:53 pm

In not so breaking news:

GM is closing it’s Thailand, New Zealand and Australia operations. GM also moved away from Europe and other Asian countries over the recent years.

What does this mean for Chevrolet in T&T?

GM is also not going to make replacements for the Spark, Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala and Volt. The last 3 doesn’t apply to us because those models don’t sell here.

So in summary, we can possibly see the departure of these models locally:

Spark, Sonic, Cruze, Colorado and Trailblazer.

Ford is also pulling the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Taurus from the NA market (amongst others).

Chrysler and Dodge brands could also face extinction this side of the hemisphere.

So as SUVs, Crossovers and pickups continue to dominate sales world wide, it appears we will be seeing less cars like sedans, hatchbacks and wagons going forward.

Look at our T&T market for example, the last compact sedans sold here are the:
Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Mazda3, Cruze, Elantra and Cerato.

The Lancer, Impreza, Focus, Jetta, Octavia, Toledo, 307, Megane, Xantia etc disappeared over the years and it looks like the Cruze is next on that list.

What about mid size sedans locally? We have the following currently:
Accord, Mazda6 and Optima.

The Camry, Avensis, Altima/Teana/Cefiro/Maxima, Primera, Galant, Legacy, Sonata, Fusion, Epica, Passat, Superb, 407 and Laguna have disappeared over the years.

Signs of the times. I am hoping to dig deeper into obtaining the strategic focus of the mainstream dealers locally. If we can get insight in terms of what will continue to sell vs what would be axed, it will help us make a better new vehicle purchase.

After all, as long as a manufacturer keeps making a vehicle, the resale wouldn’t slide, but the minute a particular model is discontinued, the resale value will tank rapidly. Look at those Octavias, 307s and Clios locally. Those cars have the resale value like a used Lasko fan.

Just a little food for thought and industry update for my fellow tuners.

s-k-mo
Riding on 13's

Postby s-k-mo » March 2nd, 2020, 9:10 am

Hey,

Any affordable reliable 7 seater SUV’s in the market?

From my research there’s the Nissan x-trail 4x4 but a bit out of my budget.

Next I found is the Toyota Rush ($210k new)

But are they’re really any other options available?

Let me know and thank you in advance!

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 2nd, 2020, 9:34 am

s-k-mo wrote:Hey,

Rush, prob one of the most justice you getting with that price bro.

s-k-mo
Riding on 13's

Postby s-k-mo » March 2nd, 2020, 10:17 am

Respect.. yeah that’s what I figured so far. Jus wanted to see if I was missing something.

nick639v2 wrote:
s-k-mo wrote:Hey,

Rush, prob one of the most justice you getting with that price bro.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » March 2nd, 2020, 10:28 am

There is also the Suzuki Ertiga and the Nissan Livinia. There are many others in the other typical dealerships with hybrid options as well.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 2nd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Ertiga @ 189
Rush @ 210 and 229
Livina @ 229 and 249

I want a reason to buy the Ertiga. Talk about value for money. I am more interested in removing the 2nd and 3rd row seats so I can have a giant station wagon for my business. Oh and it has a 5 year warranty.
FB_IMG_1583171259501.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171256239.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171251019.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171265770.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171262133.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171267941.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171270266.jpeg
FB_IMG_1583171272493.jpeg
The attachment FB_IMG_1583171248601.jpeg is no longer available

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 2nd, 2020, 7:10 pm

Agent 007.....from all the diesel issues etc, what 4x4 pickup would you recommend now??

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » March 2nd, 2020, 9:32 pm

Agent double 07 what are your views of the Suzuki Swift Sport ?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”