TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » April 15th, 2021, 2:40 am

IMG_3792.JPG

Story time:

The 5th installment of the CRV series was released in T&T back in Q4 2017. The special intro price for the fully loaded 2WD (RVSi) was $359k. I must know, cause we took the plunge on one.

In Q1 2018, the price settled at $379k. Fast forward to 2020 and the price went up by a $10k to $389k.

As we start Q2 2021, the RVSi 2WD fully loaded is now $415k. Exactly where the AWD model left off when last it was priced.

In 3.5 years, the CRV’s price increased by $56k. A 1.5L vehicle that incurs the same level of taxes as a BAIC x25, Mazda 2, Suzuki Ertiga/XL7, Hyundai Creta and a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross just to name a few.

SS prices their fully loaded 2WD Mazda CX-5 for $356k. An obvious deficit here is the sunroof but still, said CX-5 receives taxes at a higher rate since it has a 2.0L engine.

Massy sells their fully loaded 5-seat AWD X-trail for $419k which also, like the Mazda, boasts of a 2.0 engine. So what gives? Both the X-trail and CX-5 are imported from Japan, while the CRV comes from Thailand.

Like I’ve mentioned countless times over the years, can it be a situation where they are selling less units but need to make up for the revenue and profit targets so hence increase the price of the vehicle? In other words, instead of selling, say 100 CRVs a year to receive ‘x’ revenue and ‘y’ profit, you can push 80 CRVs instead and achieve the same x and y?

Am I blurting out some deep sheit here or is it that I need the monk to teach me some higher levels of understanding? I have my doubts that a Thai built CRV costs more per unit in USD vs a CX-5 built in Japan. Please educate me, thanks.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby feeldavibe » April 15th, 2021, 8:24 am

Very interesting read. I took a look at the CRV last week. Really nice car, but the price was way above my budget. I'd jump to say that ANSA being greedy. I'd LOVE to see what all the dealerships are paying in USD for the cars they sell, I wouldn't doubt that we are being ripped off all around.

My brother in Canada drives a 2019 Mazda 3 GT with a 2.5 naturally aspirated engine and literally every feature under the sun. Believe it cost him the equivalent of around $148,000 TTD.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 15th, 2021, 10:38 am

A Honda sales rep told me that they are trying to make Honda upmarket in Trinidad.

But we can compare our prices with countries that make cars or are a large market for cars. In TT the two biggest purchases anybody will make in their life are a house and a car. A house uses local resources but a car is 100% imported. If we don't tax these expensive imported items it will be a run on our forex. Our prices are comparable to other Caribbean islands.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 15th, 2021, 12:19 pm

agent,

I do not think your views are unreasonable. As a matter of fact, it is very likely that this practice is adopted by all new car dealers. In the last few years, aside from the increases in taxes, vehicle prices have significantly increased with sales persons often citing the new taxes or "foreign exchange" (whatever that is intended to mean). Within recent times, due to the onset of this pandemic, the convenient excuse is that global supply chains are slowing down and shipping is being limited.

The on-the-road price of a vehicle includes the cost of the vehicle from the production facility, shipping/handling/freight, shipping insurance, duties and VAT. However, the "hidden costs" such as O&O costs (i.e. costs that contribute to salaries and other administrative charges required to run a business), dealer profit/markup, salesman commission, CEO/MD/President/Manager bonus and business financial targets are all cleverly factored into the cost.

Remember, a business' goal is to make money for its owners/shareholders. At the beginning of each year, these business will have targets to meet. Therefore, in an effort to meet targets, the on-the-road price of the vehicle is cleverly adjusted to ensure that the contribution to the "hidden costs" remains to cover the same.

If sales are slow, discounts are offered to the customer. But the strategy here is to sell a set quantity of units at this discounted price (whether it is discounted by 10k,or 30k). Once the quantity is sold, the business still meets its financial target. A similar concept is applied when a new vehicle is launched which is why almost always, a shipment en route is sold out before even touching down here on our shores.

Now, if based on the historical sales volumes, a dealer sees that the quantities of units being sold is reducing, then in forecasting sales, the dealer will raise the price. If units are sold at this elevated price, the dealer achieves targets. In fact, I am sure that even if a discount is given on the sale price, the dealer will still make a profit. All that is built into the price.

It simply boils down to whether their profit is at their forecast target or above. Ever notice that dealers have never complained about lower sales volumes and lower profits. They always make a profit at least on par with their forecast targets and purchasers are none the wiser as they felt they came out good with a 10k slash on the sale price. That slash was factored into the price already - if the cost was slashed, the dealer makes a profit; if the cost was not slashed the dealer makes a larger profit. The dealer never makes a loss on a sale.

Then there is the fact that dealers cleverly market vehicles as premium in this country. None of the CUVs in this country are premium. None of the mid-size SUVs (CRV, RAV4, CX-3, Forester, X-trail, etc.) are premium. Not even the glorious Fortuner is premium. Yet all of these are marketed as premium and priced accordingly.

Regarding the CR-V, I wonder how sales on other Honda vehicles are faring... Have the Civic, City CNG and Accord sales been good recently? If not, could it be that the CR-V is priced to cover the the loss of revenue from the sales volumes of the others?

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » April 15th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Habit7 wrote:A Honda sales rep told me that they are trying to make Honda upmarket in Trinidad.

But we can compare our prices with countries that make cars or are a large market for cars. In TT the two biggest purchases anybody will make in their life are a house and a car. A house uses local resources but a car is 100% imported. If we don't tax these expensive imported items it will be a run on our forex. Our prices are comparable to other Caribbean islands.

That's understood I guess, but it doesn't quite answer 007's question about the reason for the increase in price for a vehicle whose tax regime was untouched for the span of time that he quoted. Hybrid? Sure. I'll believe it. But a non-hybrid? Nah. A 1.5L non-hybrid that saw an increase of $56k over 3.5 years, when again, that tax bracket was unaffected? Double nah.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 15th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Culturally as well, we believe that we must own a vehicle.

Trini mindset needs to change to where we do not need to own a vehicle. Leasing a vehicle is a perfectly acceptable way of having one's vehicle. When the lease is up, if one chooses to keep the vehicle, so be it, else trade in for an upgrade. At the end of the day, most people are taking out loans so why not pay a smaller fee for a lease?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 15th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
Habit7 wrote:A Honda sales rep told me that they are trying to make Honda upmarket in Trinidad.

That's understood I guess, but it doesn't quite answer 007's question about the reason for the increase in price for a vehicle whose tax regime was untouched for the span of time that he quoted. Hybrid? Sure. I'll believe it. But a non-hybrid? Nah. A 1.5L non-hybrid that saw an increase of $56k over 3.5 years, when again, that tax bracket was unaffected? Double nah.

The 2nd paragraph was to answer feeldavibe

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » April 15th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

The 2nd paragraph was to answer feeldavibe

I gotcha, but we can discuss as well, because many dealers use 'increased taxes' as justification for increasing their prices..

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » April 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm

telfer wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:Agent007, did you get a call on your '17 CRV for fuel pump replacement? I do not know if it applies to all years but for my 2018 there is a recall on it. I got an appointment for May for the replacement.

There’s a recall??? Have a 2018 serviced last week but no mention of this

Call in an ask them, have your chassis, engine no etc available. It may not be all 2018's as mine was produced in August 2018. It is a worldwide recall with models affected in North America also.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 15th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. All responses were noted. I recognized that ANSA wanted to position Honda as an upmarket choice when I posted these 1995 prices in this thread 10 years ago:

1995 Prices:

Honda civic 1.5 manual - $135,895.30 vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.5 manual sunroof - $139,895. Vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.5 auto - $139,895. Vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.5 auto sunroof - $144,895.20 vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.6 auto 3-door - $154,000.90 vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.6 auto - $176,032.60 vat inclusive
Honda civic 1.6 auto sunroof - $180,763.70 vat inclusive
Honda accord 2.0 - $219,001.39 vat inclusive
Honda prelude 2.2 - $299,001.05 vat inclusive

I know we can draw references to Barbados and Singapore but it is in my humble opinion that our local dealerships are just adding fire to the furry. The government is anti vehicle ownership to the masses so they continue to raise taxes based on cc rating. Dealerships not making it any better by raising their profit margins. When is it enough to draw the line? Would they stop until they pass 100% markup?

In the US, the equivalent to our $415k TTD CRV is $32k USD. That equates to $218k TTD approx. bearing in mind, this is MSRP which the dealer usually discounts further. It means, in the US, they pay $197k less for what we get here.

A starting teacher salary in the US hovers around $2,900. Per month. This monthly salary is approx. 9% the cost of a brand new CRV EX-L.

In Trinidad, the starting salary for a teacher is what, $10k? That is 2.4% of the cost of the fully loaded one as posted in a higher post above.

I know we can use multiple angles to argue really valid points, but it’s a little sad knowing that in such a noble profession, as being a teacher at the primary school level here in T&T, that where vehicles are concerned, your time, effort and knowledge is only worth less than 3% the cost of a new CRV which is considered a regular economy class type “SUV” in America, whilst in T&T, it’s reserved for the wealthy amongst us.

And now as I conclude my post, Massy releases the prices on the 2021 Forester which in top trim concludes at $490k. Now I’m asking myself, is ground clearance, awd, a harman kardon premium sound system and eyesight technology worth the additional $75k over the CRV? All of a sudden, said CRV is a bargain and a CX-5 is dog cheap? :roll:

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » April 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm

The RVSi 2WD fully loaded was $399,000 a few months back. ANSA is just greedy knowing ppl want a dependable car. I am glad I got mine in 2018 for the $379,000.00 because I would not spend $399 or $415 for a CRV. It is not worth it. When I asked for blue I was told they are not bringing in that colour but soon after I saw a Furness CRV in blue. Special order I was told by a rep. If I had to buy today, I would gravitate towards Mazda mainly due to price. Competition is low so it is easy to hit ppl hard on price but now is not the time to buy a new car unless you have guaranteed income security.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 15th, 2021, 5:40 pm

The US is a major car manufacturer and the larger market in the world for cars. Plus there are multiple dealerships competing allowing there to be price reductions and discounts.

You just can't compare US prices to Trinidad. The govt is forcing us into getting smaller vehicles and dealerships are benefiting from the monopoly. But it is a similar restrictive policy in Japan that allows us to get their vehicles cheap, which the govt is trying to limit too.

The reality is that in 15yrs we will all have EVs in showrooms anyway and it will be a different dynamic.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 16th, 2021, 12:31 am

1. It's a monopoly. No real competition from other dealers. Every dealer has exclusive rights to whatever manufacturer they bring

If I recall the toyota had the 86 for 440k new, when massy advertised the brz for 350k toyota reduced their price to 400k.

Public transport also sucks so no real competition from that side either.

2. Consumers keep buying. If the cars don't sell at the prices dealers are calling, something will have to give. They might move it to a rental fleet or prices will come down.

3. Greed... Kind of self explanatory

4. Perceived value/maintaining appearances.
So using the crv; the new model with the smaller displacement should cost less... How does that look when the previous model with the larger displacement engine cost more. How do you tell the person who just bought the outgoing model that the new model could be had for less. So they increase the price because it is new.

5. Selling the Promise of peace of mind.
So some of you had your vehicle recalled by the dealer to carry out maintenance. All the people who bought that same vehicle on the outside, kinda on there own. Is it worth the extra money spent. To some people, yes and they willing to pay the additional cost of that and dealers charge accordingly.

Introductory price is essentially for first adopter/guinea pig. We not sure how the vehicle going to work in our conditions here and while the warranty covers some things... It doesn't cover everything.

So how many dealers serviced airbags during that major takata air bag recall. Sylphy bubbling dashboards also come to mind.

What can I say...They know their market and charge/price accordingly.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » April 16th, 2021, 8:25 am

carluva wrote:Culturally as well, we believe that we must own a vehicle.

Trini mindset needs to change to where we do not need to own a vehicle. Leasing a vehicle is a perfectly acceptable way of having one's vehicle. When the lease is up, if one chooses to keep the vehicle, so be it, else trade in for an upgrade. At the end of the day, most people are taking out loans so why not pay a smaller fee for a lease?

Right now Hertz (Car Rental) are proving long term leases on vehicles and are quite flexible. Their packages include all the servicing costs as well.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 16th, 2021, 8:54 am

*waits for Massey to release prices on new MG range*

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 16th, 2021, 10:57 am

The other phenomenon that I am noticing in the local car market is the "upscaling" of budget sub compact cars. For example Toyota had the corolla as their budget car, the the yaris came in as a sub compact alternative. Before you know it the yaris price reached the corolla price and corolla is priced even higher.

Another example is with Sterling and those mini benzes.... the C Class price, moderately equipped was $415k about 7 years ago. the new W206 C Class is pegged to start at $500k and the piece of crap A Class sedan and FWD CLA takes the price range of the previous C Class at 400k - 450k

When you demand a reasoning for their crazy pricing increases they blame the access to Forex...

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 16th, 2021, 12:23 pm

One thing that is absolutely certain based on the above responses, we certainly understand exactly what is going on where the new vehicle industry is concerned in T&T. If we represented the total population by virtue of how we think, these dealership cartels would be in absolute trouble. Its posts like these above that makes my effort so worth it.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2021, 3:29 pm

But even if you are blaming the dealership for the CRV, a brand new RORO CRV isn't much different in price than the dealer.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 16th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Just following suit
Habit7 wrote:But even if you are blaming the dealership for the CRV, a brand new RORO CRV isn't much different in price than the dealer.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » April 16th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Habit7 wrote:But even if you are blaming the dealership for the CRV, a brand new RORO CRV isn't much different in price than the dealer.

The thing with RORO/grey market is that when you get a fully loaded vehicle, features cyah done..buttons all over the place for some feature you'll probably never use..locally, fully loaded means you're lucky you're getting A/C. We even threw in some free rubber mats and a tank of fuel so you'll forget all the blank spots that should have buttons as well as the shitty service you'll have to endure to keep your warranty over the next 3-5 years.

It's no justification but..you get what I'm saying.

Edit: also, the CR-V sold by the RORO dealers I checked are seven seaters as opposed to Classic's five, and AWD vs. FWD, amongst other things..

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » April 16th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Gladiator wrote:The other phenomenon that I am noticing in the local car market is the "upscaling" of budget sub compact cars. For example Toyota had the corolla as their budget car, the the yaris came in as a sub compact alternative. Before you know it the yaris price reached the corolla price and corolla is priced even higher.

Another example is with Sterling and those mini benzes.... the C Class price, moderately equipped was $415k about 7 years ago. the new W206 C Class is pegged to start at $500k and the piece of crap A Class sedan and FWD CLA takes the price range of the previous C Class at 400k - 450k

When you demand a reasoning for their crazy pricing increases they blame the access to Forex...
same thing with BMW

current 2 series is now F30 when new price

no 3 series available under 500k now

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 16th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Joshie23 wrote:

The thing with RORO/grey market is that when you get a fully loaded vehicle, features cyah done..buttons all over the place for some feature you'll probably never use..locally, fully loaded means you're lucky you're getting A/C. We even threw in some free rubber mats and a tank of fuel so you'll forget all the blank spots that should have buttons as well as the shitty service you'll have to endure to keep your warranty over the next 3-5 years.

It's no justification but..you get what I'm saying.

Edit: also, the CR-V sold by the RORO dealers I checked are seven seaters as opposed to Classic's five, and AWD vs. FWD, amongst other things..

You’re spot on! Only 3 dealers I am aware of that brought in the new CRVs and that’s Sharma’s, Bess Motors and Orbit Motors. Sharma got some decent stock. When last I checked, the majority were 2WD, some were 7 seat and some came with the aero type roof rails. Absent in some were the mud guards, lane watch camera and the integrated 7” touch screen display with smart phone integration. I see the roro versions have the double DIN opening to accommodate a proper head unit.

Since ANSA sells the fully loaded 2021 2WD CRV for $415k, am I to assume, based on the last gap between 2WD and AWD that a 2021 AWD version would be around $446k?

Fellas in the grey market like Sharma gonna be like, wait, let me sell this 2018 roro model doing “400kms” for $350k. And it will find owners in a jiffy! Mind you, that CRV 7 seater is a gimmick like the Xtrail 7 seater. You cannot put humans back there. The 3rd row is just a jumper seat for your daughter to carry her favorite barbies on that road trip. I would rather ditch the 3rd row for maximum cargo room and the addition of the privacy cargo cover.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » April 17th, 2021, 9:39 am

kamakazi wrote:1. It's a monopoly. No real competition from other dealers. Every dealer has exclusive rights to whatever manufacturer they bring

If I recall the toyota had the 86 for 440k new, when massy advertised the brz for 350k toyota reduced their price to 400k.

2. Consumers keep buying. If the cars don't sell at the prices dealers are calling, something will have to give. They might move it to a rental fleet or prices will come down.

So using the crv; the new model with the smaller displacement should cost less... How does that look when the previous model with the larger displacement engine cost more. How do you tell the person who just bought the outgoing model that the new model could be had for less. So they increase the price because it is new.

So some of you had your vehicle recalled by the dealer to carry out maintenance. All the people who bought that same vehicle on the outside, kinda on there own. Is it worth the extra money spent. To some people, yes and they willing to pay the additional cost of that and dealers charge accordingly.

Introductory price is essentially for first adopter/guinea pig. We not sure how the vehicle going to work in our conditions here and while the warranty covers some things... It doesn't cover everything.

So how many dealers serviced airbags during that major takata air bag recall. Sylphy bubbling dashboards also come to mind.

Spot on. Perhaps the best post in this thread yet.

Reality is, some people simply prefer the perceived comfort/confidence in buying a new car, while others find the lengthy loan payment plans more manageable.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 17th, 2021, 10:45 am

John Cadogan from autoexpert Australia spoke about this at length. Less relevance at the luxury level so they have to go down market to attract more customers. Hence the introduction of more FWD models.

But when society falls for badges and hood ornaments, people dont care where the drive wheels are. Benz is Benz. The Best or Nothing.

As for me? I won't fall trap to a fwd benz that has a nissan 1.3L hr13 turbo co-developed by Renault under the hood. No sir. Benz is playing the market game to get money to fill their pockets. I know, no other manufacturer is different but for me, a true benz starts with the C-Class.

Expect more A200s to fly off the shelves when Corollas with an equipment listing you can count with just 5 fingers for quarter million dollars are an option on the market.

Good post Gladiator. I salute you.
Gladiator wrote:The other phenomenon that I am noticing in the local car market is the "upscaling" of budget sub compact cars. For example Toyota had the corolla as their budget car, the the yaris came in as a sub compact alternative. Before you know it the yaris price reached the corolla price and corolla is priced even higher.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » April 17th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Updates for the front page:

Ford

2.2L Ranger:
4x2 Automatic (XLT) - $289,950
4x4 Manual (XLT) - $285,000
4x4 Automatic (XLT) - $310,000

3.2L Ranger:
4x4 Automatic (XLT) - $320,000

(Price of the Limited variant TBD, Wildtrak is now $415,000 iirc :shock: )

Toyota

2.4L Hilux:
4x2 Manual (d/c) - $217,000
4x4 Manual (s/c) - $251,000
4x4 Manual (d/c) - $281,000
4x4 Automatic (d/c) - $320,000

2.8L Hilux:
4x4 Manual (d/c) - $290,000
4x4 Mid-Spec Automatic (d/c) - $332,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/fabric (d/c) - $356,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/leather (d/c) - $370,000

That 'Lux beautiful though :cry:

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 17th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Thanks Joshie. Pg 1 updated.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 20th, 2021, 2:33 am

Is it true that the new refreshed Hilux we get is not the high output version and that it lacks LED DRLs too?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » April 20th, 2021, 9:03 am

Joshie23 wrote:Updates for the front page:

Ford

2.2L Ranger:

3.2L Ranger:

Toyota

2.4L Hilux:
4x4 Automatic (d/c) - $320,000 - in 2019 this was $279,000

2.8L Hilux:
4x4 Mid-Spec Automatic (d/c) - $332,000 - in 2019 this was $297,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/fabric (d/c) - $356,000 in 2019 this was - $ 325,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/leather (d/c) - $370,000 in 2019 this was $ 352,000

the prices of these have risen a lot in 18 months.
the amount being brought in by TTTL is less but all are sold out.

kamakazi wrote:1. It's a monopoly. No real competition from other dealers. Every dealer has exclusive rights to whatever manufacturer they bring

Agreed to all of the points Kamakazi said.

Also spoke an exec (member of the FAMILY*) from HONDA as to why they continue to sell the CRV with hugeeee markup despite costing less due to engine size

His 2 responses :
1. We need to make the CRV be a leader over competition
2. "BECAUSE WE CAN .... LOL"

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » April 20th, 2021, 10:30 am

agent007 wrote:Is it true that the new refreshed Hilux we get is not the high output version and that it lacks LED DRLs too?

You're correct, Agent. In the local review video by Saleem and Davante (see below), the Sales Manager said DRLs are illegal (@3:30) and that they couldn't bring the 201 hp engine because of our poor fuel (@6:55).

https://youtu.be/3XcM7hffwC0

@mitch1980 those are some stiff increases..wow, but the fact that all are sold out says something..

mitch1980 wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:Updates for the front page:

Ford

2.2L Ranger:

3.2L Ranger:

Toyota

2.4L Hilux:
4x4 Automatic (d/c) - $320,000 - in 2019 this was $279,000

2.8L Hilux:
4x4 Mid-Spec Automatic (d/c) - $332,000 - in 2019 this was $297,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/fabric (d/c) - $356,000 in 2019 this was - $ 325,000
4x4 Fully Loaded Automatic w/leather (d/c) - $370,000 in 2019 this was $ 352,000

the prices of these have risen a lot in 18 months.
the amount being brought in by TTTL is less but all are sold out.
Last edited by Joshie23 on April 20th, 2021, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » April 20th, 2021, 10:34 am

DRL's illegal? That's the excuse they're gonna go with? Don't the Ravs etc have DRL's?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”