TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby carluva » November 6th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Let me give you some advice as a parent of three kids.

Plan for the future and the unexpected.

We had two cars, a swift and a RAV4 both new and adequate for two parents and two kids, even the swift, which could take two car seats. Note that whatever car you have, new or used or existing, the front passenger will always have limited space if a rear facing car seat is mounted directly behind. And it will be this way for about one to two years, depending on the growth of your child. To be honest, the RAV4 has alot of space in the rear so the effects of the rear facing car seat were not as bad as say in a Passat, which was a previous ride. And for the comfort of the driver, the rear facing car seat would have to mounted behind the front passenger seat. So no matter what, you are stuck with being cramped for some time. Bear that in mind and consider in your decision. Also note, in spite of what you are told, never install a car seat in the front. Read online and you'll see more horror stories than success stories.

Now two years after buying our new rides, our third came along.

After some extensive research, I realised that many, if not all 5 seater SUVs cannot accommodate 3 car seats. Not even our gracious RAV4. The rear seats of many vehicles are not designed for more than two car seats, especially SUVs where the middle row seat belt retracts from the roof of the car.

So we looked long and hard for seven months and many vehicles on the new market were overpriced and did not meet our needs. It was sickening to deal with sales persons as well as many knew next to nothing about selling a vehicle for a family! Trust me, we ran circles around many sales persons when we showed them the limitations of the vehicle for a family as ours. All they know is to regurgitate the sales brochure and try to win us over with a touch screen head unit or a moon roof, which was not our priority during our quest.

In the end I got a good buy on a second hand Fortuner. The owner was a returning consulate officer from an Embassy and dinged it up a bit but the rear seats especially the third row were new. The mileage was low and i bought it with one week on the warranty and got some repairs covered under the same. Most importantly, the engine, suspension and drive train was in flawless condition.

So here is my advice. Just because you have a second kid in the way does not mean you should burden your pocket with an unnecessary expense, especially since that Jetta will do just fine for your needs.

If you must buy, I say look on the second hand market and shoot for a local seven seater large SUV such as a Prado, Fortuner or Pathfinder. You can snatch a beautiful Prado for under 500k with many trimmings and great condition. Same for a Fortuner for under 350k. And best of all, you will come out on top compared to what's available on the new market and you cater for the future in case a #3 comes along.

If you must buy new, keep in mind that the limitations of space you will have with your new vehicle will be the same as your current Jetta and you'll really feel like you made a dumb decision. And if you do buy new, make sure you keep the kids at 2 in number cause one you get a third, your investment in a new vehicle really shows its limitations, if it is not a decently sized seven seater.
metalgear2095 wrote:Looking for some advice. What would you consider good cars for a family. Got a toddler and a baby on the way. Have a jetta right now but find space is tight in the front seat with car seat installed. New and used options will be appreciated

lancer_man
Street 2NR

Postby lancer_man » November 6th, 2019, 4:36 pm

metalgear2095 wrote:Looking for some advice. What would you consider good cars for a family. Got a toddler and a baby on the way. Have a jetta right now but find space is tight in the front seat with car seat installed. New and used options will be appreciated

I was in this same position as you a few months ago. Decided to go for a new CR-V. I am able to fit a convertible Britax car seat for my toddler in front facing behind the passenger seat and my infant car seat in the middle back due to the 3 point middle belt. There is a lot of space for an adult behind the driver’s seat and both front seats have lots of leg room.

Word of advice: if you’re looking for a 5 seater SUV, make sure the middle belt is a 3 point, otherwise it would be difficult to fit a car seat there as there isn’t normally a latch system in the centre.

IMO, there’s a huge jump in price between the compact 5 seater SUVs and decent 7 seaters. Note that the Rush is excluded from the “decent” 7 seater category.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 6th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Is the middle belt in the CRV integrated into the seat or does it come from the ceiling of the vehicle and then you have to snap into two buckles to get the three point?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » November 6th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Its a shame we don't get mini vans here ... The market doesn't seem to like them either.

Rented them in the states an europe and they are amazing when you toting a family around.
Everyone rushes SUV's when they talking/thinking about families but TBH they are just raised hatchbacks.

We do have some MPV offerings from the foreign new market ... Toyota sienta and honda freed are under 1.6L and come in with no tax and are small and ridiculously spacious.

lancer_man
Street 2NR

Postby lancer_man » November 6th, 2019, 9:06 pm

carluva wrote:Is the middle belt in the CRV integrated into the seat or does it come from the ceiling of the vehicle and then you have to snap into two buckles to get the three point?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm

∆∆ do some research online about using those buckles with more than one car seat in the back. There are limitations to its use especially if both car seats use the seat belts and not the ISOFIX. I don't ever use this in the RAV4 for the car seats, for several reasons but most of all because they are not designed for using two car seats, one in the middle and the other behind the front passenger, if using the seat belts.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 6th, 2019, 9:18 pm

I rented a Dodge gran caravan in July when we traveled to the US.

When we came home we were so appalled to jump back in the Fortuner.

The space in that minivan was amazing. Imagine 5 passengers, three suitcases and a stroller all fit. And I could get two more passengers in as the seats were all available.

The minivans we get here can't even hold all that. Such a shame.

The Fortuner could hold 7 passengers but maybe two small suitcases and a stroller.

Bleh for the available minivans here. Plus, they are all sooooo fugly.
drchaos wrote:Its a shame we don't get mini vans here ... The market doesn't seem to like them either.

Rented them in the states an europe and they are amazing when you toting a family around.
Everyone rushes SUV's when they talking/thinking about families but TBH they are just raised hatchbacks.

We do have some MPV offerings from the foreign new market ... Toyota sienta and honda freed are under 1.6L and come in with no tax and are small and ridiculously spacious.

lancer_man
Street 2NR

Postby lancer_man » November 7th, 2019, 1:39 am

carluva wrote:∆∆ do some research online about using those buckles with more than one car seat in the back. There are limitations to its use especially if both car seats use the seat belts and not the ISOFIX. I don't ever use this in the RAV4 for the car seats, for several reasons but most of all because they are not designed for using two car seats, one in the middle and the other behind the front passenger, if using the seat belts.

I’ve done a lot of research on this and couldn’t find anywhere that prohibits the use of two 3 point belts in end and centre if the car seats fit securely. Can you direct me to a link that explains why it’s unsafe?

Also, with the RAV4, I believe the middle belt is not a 3 point belt, and this does not allow for safe car seat installation.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 7th, 2019, 9:56 am

Well it has been some time since I looked online, but you prompted me to go back to a good resource. Sorry for raising an alarm as the CRV looks to be good to go. The same cannot be said of the RAV4. My comment was more generalised and you did your research like any responsible parent! I stand corrected.

See the link below.

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3- ... uide-html/

Luckily for CRV owners, you can safely install three car seats across the back.

The same cannot be said for RAV4 owners. While the middle seat belt is a three point, the placement of the buckle is so far into the rear passenger seat that it prohibits the safe installation of car seats using the seat belts and ISOFIX. Turns out it may also be quite prohibitive for three adults as well. Such a shame.

So future buyers with kids and car seats - pay attention to some of these limitations as it may come back to bite you as it did in my case.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 7th, 2019, 10:40 am

There is a new 7 seater in town! Massy revealed the 2019 Datsun Cross 1.2 3 cylinder (76hp) that has seating for 2 small parents with 5 hobbits. I extracted some pics taken from a Nissan rep fb page. See below:
The asking price is $169,000. If any of you all are interested, act fast as stocks deplete the intro price don't usually hold for long.
FB_IMG_1573096336867.jpeg
FB_IMG_1573096339116.jpeg
FB_IMG_1573096341322.jpeg
FB_IMG_1573096343446.jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 7th, 2019, 11:04 am

Why why why? This is so horrible. Why are these dealers bringing these small seven seaters? It's almost as if it is a competition to see which has the stupidest vehicle.

This has clearly taken the crown from the ridiculous Rush.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » November 7th, 2019, 12:02 pm

carluva wrote:

Why why why? This is so horrible. Why are these dealers bringing these small seven seaters? It's almost as if it is a competition to see which has the stupidest vehicle.

It’s 169k. At that price point it’s a no brainer for many.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » November 7th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Datsun?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm

You are right about a no brainer. You must have no brain to buy that to use with seven passengers.
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
carluva wrote:

It’s 169k. At that price point it’s a no brainer for many.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » November 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

agent007 wrote:There is a new 7 seater in town! Massy revealed the 2019 Datsun Cross 1.2 3 cylinder (76hp) that has seating for 2 small parents with 5 hobbits. I extracted some pics taken from a Nissan rep fb page. See below:
The asking price is $169,000. If any of you all are interested, act fast as stocks deplete the intro price don't usually hold for long.FB_IMG_1573096343446.jpegFB_IMG_1573096341322.jpegFB_IMG_1573096339116.jpegFB_IMG_1573096336867.jpeg

Great write up from you and carluva higher up. I know this is the new car thread but this isn't exactly new to T&T..a grey market dealer brought some in a few months ago at an even lower $140k introductory pricing with 3 years/100k km warranty, but like I said, this is the New Car thread, so, as you were. 8-)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Look at this bargain 7 seater true 4wd body-on-frame SUV here:

2019 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 2.8 TD. It's basically the SUV version to a Colorado pickup, in a similar way of how the Fortuner is to the Hilux and the Everest to the Ranger. The Isuzu MUX shares the same body and platform minus the engine/transmission.

Price: $590,000.

For comparison, a Fortuner is $825,000. and the Prado starts at $1 million. The Nissan Pathfinder AWD 3.5 V6 is $750,000.

So what you guys think, is the Trailblazer a worthy 7 seater?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 7th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
agent007 wrote:There is a new 7 seater in town! Massy revealed the 2019 Datsun Cross 1.2 3 cylinder (76hp) that has seating for 2 small parents with 5 hobbits. I extracted some pics taken from a Nissan rep fb page. See below:
The asking price is $169,000. If any of you all are interested, act fast as stocks deplete the intro price don't usually hold for long.FB_IMG_1573096343446.jpegFB_IMG_1573096341322.jpegFB_IMG_1573096339116.jpegFB_IMG_1573096336867.jpeg

Great write up from you and carluva higher up. I know this is the new car thread but this isn't exactly new to T&T..a grey market dealer brought some in a few months ago at an even lower $140k introductory pricing with 3 years/100k km warranty, but like I said, this is the New Car thread, so, as you were. 8-)

lol, I am not surprised. You have a good eye to recognize it!

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 7th, 2019, 9:54 pm

The trailblazer is a nice vehicle and at that price it competes squarely with the Fortuner and the Everest. The engine as well is a beast, tho I am not sure it is a *proven* beast.

But I think the deal breaker is this thing called resale value. How does it hold value?

One thing I wondered lately is why many more dealers do not offer leasing options. Do you think leasing would be viable in T&T? Why are we so indoctrinated into this buy and own mentality? My two sisters who live abroad are happy with a monthly lease with a purchase or trade against a new lease at the end of the term. And they are leasing a Range Rover and Lexus Hybrid SUV. Would it make sense here?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Depreciation is a much bigger factor so the leasing option away always seems more viable especially when ppl work out of state and the car remains parked most of the times. Many local finance institutions do offer it now though.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » November 8th, 2019, 1:12 pm

carluva wrote:The trailblazer is a nice vehicle and at that price it competes squarely with the Fortuner and the Everest. The engine as well is a beast, tho I am not sure it is a *proven* beast.

But I think the deal breaker is this thing called resale value. How does it hold value?

One thing I wondered lately is why many more dealers do not offer leasing options. Do you think leasing would be viable in T&T? Why are we so indoctrinated into this buy and own mentality? My two sisters who live abroad are happy with a monthly lease with a purchase or trade against a new lease at the end of the term. And they are leasing a Range Rover and Lexus Hybrid SUV. Would it make sense here?

Some of the local dealers have been positioning themselves to start the leasing option. I know Audi was close to signing off on some packages. But with the juggling of some of the high end brands, they've held off until the market settles down and they observe what the competitors are doing.

I've seen Massy advertising Leasing on their IG platforms..but with their numbers low and a restructuring on the horizon, not sure where that is going.

And ofc you have companies like Furness who now have a glut of vehicles due to:

Brand alliance shift
Energy Industry implosion.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » November 8th, 2019, 1:18 pm

carluva wrote:

optics-wise both may look...."ill-favoured" lol.... but i ride in one regulaly (team travel/4 persons/200km distance return trip) and listen...its muy comfortable...and has the "in car features" that you really need for long journey's.....dont need it for speed..and the Rush is quite torquey on hills and such....its becoming the "uglymatas we love to hate" in the group....i sense the Datsun will fall into that Category....

It may be a i'll fated move tho...given Massy's sales numbers are below their deltas over the past 5 quarters

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 9th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Coming soon to a showroom near you...

sharadu2
Street 2NR

Postby sharadu2 » November 10th, 2019, 8:28 am

agent007 wrote:Image
Coming soon to a showroom near you...

Looks like a corolla?

jasp
Street 2NR

Postby jasp » November 11th, 2019, 7:08 am

Jeep wrangler Sahara $820 000
Jeep wrangler Rubicon $820 000
Jeep wrangler Sport $675 000

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 11th, 2019, 9:26 am

jasp wrote:Jeep wrangler Sahara $820 000
Jeep wrangler Rubicon $820 000
Jeep wrangler Sport $675 000
imagine the taxes on these vehicles the poor owner will mostly be buying a tax

StefanH2
Street 2NR

Postby StefanH2 » November 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

With a family of five (twin boys and a baby girl) I recently went for the SUZUKI ertiga 2019. I test drove both the Toyota Rush and the Ertiga the same day and funny enough the Ertiga felt more peppy than the rush. The Rush felt underpowered with high engine revs and a somewhat lazy throttle response. Additionally, the 3rd row in the Rush has very limited leg room for an 11yr old child. The Ertiga really surprised us with more spacious interior, a more responsive throttle, and more comfortable seating. The ride quality was also better in the Ertiga. And the price simply connot be beat when compared to the Rush or Lavina.
agent007 wrote:Lots of fraud, scam, lies and deception in buying a used vehicle. You really have to do in-depth scrutiny when it comes to a local used. It could be a restored vehicle from flood, fire, collision etc etc. Unless you know the owner and you know the vehicle purchased since day 1 and the way how it was kept then buying some local used vehicles would be a good idea.

Outside of that, my advice is the Suzuki Ertiga, Toyota Rush and Nissan Livina. All of them are very fuel efficient, they all have 1.5 engines putting out 103hp. They all have auto transmissions, alloy rims, typical interior amenities and safety features. The Ertiga is $188k, Rush tops out at $225k (if the promo is still on as previous price was $249k) and the Livina starts at $229k and tops out to $249k with leather seats. As mentioned previously in this thread, the Nissan is really a Mitsubishi product and uses the 4A91 engine with INVECS 2 4AT transmission. We are also looking for a value 7 seater brand new and thus far, the Suzuki is the winner mainly because of the price.

Or you can join the crossover demanding world we live in today and consider stuff like the RAV4, CRV, Xtrail, CX5, Forester, Tucson, Equinox and Tiguan. I found that smaller crossovers such as the HRV, Qashqai, Sportage, Niro, Soul, ASX, Eclipse Cross, CX3, Vitara, SX4 S-Cross, Ignis, Creta, i20 Activ and Trax are way to small and generally expensive if you are looking for a more utilitarian purpose. IMO, I see value proposition in the CX5 which is like $316k vs buying say a fully loaded 7 seater Xtrail for $454k.

A roro Wingroad Y12 does have descent interior space as well since the backseat itself is adjustable which adds more room especially for car seats. At $95k for a 2016 model, I am sure this would be appealing to some but this is the new vehicle thread so that’s as far as I will go where this car is concerned. Good luck!

agent007
punchin NOS

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 11th, 2019, 11:53 am

Thanks for the review Stefan. The Ertiga is lighter than the Rush by 265lbs and does have a slight aerodynamics advantage as well so I am not surprised to learn that it feels more lively than said Rush. I also expect the Zuki to have less wind noise and maybe better fuel economy too.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 11th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Great feedback on the Ertiga.

Tell me smtgh... Is the Ertiga still being registered as a 7 seater? I heard some time ago that even though it has 7 seats, licensing office was only allowing it to be registered as a 4 passenger + driver not 6 passenger + driver.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 12th, 2019, 6:15 am

Oh boy, then if that is the case, it is incumbent upon the dealership to inform the customer prior to registering a vehicle that the CCO will indicate “5 passengers” instead of “7”. No one will ever want an instance where the Police or Licensing Officers stop you to give you a ticket if you have your family/friends etc occupying the third row seat.

Stefan, would you do us a favor and check your CCO to determine if this is true?

StefanH2
Street 2NR

Postby StefanH2 » November 12th, 2019, 6:31 am

Would definitely check that out when I take delivery of the vehicle next week.
agent007 wrote:Oh boy, then if that is the case, it is incumbent upon the dealership to inform the customer prior to registering a vehicle that the CCO will indicate “5 passengers” instead of “7”. No one will ever want an instance where the Police or Licensing Officers stop you to give you a ticket if you have your family/friends etc occupying the third row seat.

Stefan, would you do us a favor and check your CCO to determine if this is true?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”