TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » December 30th, 2020, 9:04 pm

agent007 wrote:I’m a couple days late with this but I just had to post this photo for you guys. I think it’s a really nice shot.
IMG_2996.JPG

Opinions on the Chevy Equinox?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 31st, 2020, 2:50 am

The data I have is, the Equinox is the 3rd best selling SUV/Crossover - in its category, in North America (US and Canada combined), behind the RAV4 and CRV respectively.

In the world, prelim data suggests that it is 9th overall, behind the RAV4, CRV, Tiguan, Tucson, Sportage, GLC, CX5 and Qashqai.

In terms of engineering, I like it. GM engineers poured a lot into this product than what they would have done in previous models across their lineup (this says a lot). I drove it and it feels very European (comes as no surprise here since the platform, suspension and drivetrain is all Opel of Germany).

It’s very spacious and the 1.5T pulls nicely. The only other local competitor that has more torque is a Tiguan 2.0T. I like the fact that it still uses a conventional torque converter 6AT vs a CVT or a problematic DCT. Lastly, my observation may be wrong but I noticed it has aluminum control arms in the suspension. That is very premium, kind of like what you get in BMW, Benz, Volvo, Audi and Porsche etc.

For $275k and you getting that giant sized panoramic sunroof and a towering 5 year warranty, this is very hard to pass up. One caveat though, they are not imported from Detroit. I was told our imports come from the Ramos Arizpe Plant in Mexico. What does this mean for long-term reliability, is anyone’s guess.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » December 31st, 2020, 6:48 am

agent007 wrote:The data I have is, the Equinox is the 3rd best selling SUV/Crossover - in its category, in North America (US and Canada combined), behind the RAV4 and CRV respectively.

In the world, prelim data suggests that it is 9th overall, behind the RAV4, CRV, Tiguan, Tucson, Sportage, GLC, CX5 and Qashqai.

In terms of engineering, I like it. GM engineers poured a lot into this product than what they would have done in previous models across their lineup (this says a lot). I drove it and it feels very European (comes as no surprise here since the platform, suspension and drivetrain is all Opel of Germany).

It’s very spacious and the 1.5T pulls nicely. The only other local competitor that has more torque is a Tiguan 2.0T. I like the fact that it still uses a conventional torque converter 6AT vs a CVT or a problematic DCT. Lastly, my observation may be wrong but I noticed it has aluminum control arms in the suspension. That is very premium, kind of like what you get in BMW, Benz, Volvo, Audi and Porsche etc.

For $275k and you getting that giant sized panoramic sunroof and a towering 5 year warranty, this is very hard to pass up. One caveat though, they are not imported from Detroit. I was told our imports come from the Ramos Arizpe Plant in Mexico. What does this mean for long-term reliability, is anyone’s guess.

Good info man.

I myself had one rented for a week in 2019 and was very impressed with the quality and drive train
Just concerned about long term reliability.
But the 5 year warranty should quell some of my concerns.
While I like the Rav4 and CRV, this seems to be better value for money. And my previous after sales experience with Toyota and Ansa has been less than ideal.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » December 31st, 2020, 2:26 pm

Mark! wrote:December 29th, 2020
MEDIA RELEASE

Fraud Squad Seeks Assistance in Locating Vehicles Purchased with Fraudulent Cheques

The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service is advising automotive sales dealers to be wary of individuals purchasing new motor vehicles with fraudulent Managers’ and Personal Cheques from any financial institution.

According to recent reports made to the Fraud Squad, five new vehicles have been obtained from automotive dealers in this manner by a person of interest to investigators. The Fraud Squad advises that persons engaging in these transactions should seek clearance from their respective banks before parting with their goods.

The person of interest reportedly bought five vehicles which investigators are now seeking assistance in locating:

1. White Honda CRV – Registration#: PEA 1969
2. Grey Black Orange Nissan Frontier – Registration#: TEA 6581
3. Black Orange Nissan Frontier – Registration#: TEA 1132
4. Pearl White Toyota Hilux Revo – Registration#: TEA 7832
5. Silver Mitsubishi Triton – Registration#: TEA 7909

Anyone with information on the location of these vehicles, is asked to contact the Fraud Squad, at 625-2310, 623-2644, 652-3128, 657-4116 or 653-7834.

Corporate Communications Unit
December 29th, 2020
END

From Police Fb page.

What we missing here?
They asking for help and they give out Number Plates.

They have to have more info if somebody purchase a WHOLE vehicle

Stealing from the stealerships would only force them to raise their prices to recoup loses from us!

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 2nd, 2021, 4:44 am

You sure about that mexico thing? I have a cruze, 2017 model and the sticker on it says gmkorea which suggests to me that it was made in korea, aka the daewoo plant.
agent007 wrote:The data I have is, the Equinox is the 3rd best selling SUV/Crossover - in its category, in North America (US and Canada combined), behind the RAV4 and CRV respectively.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 2nd, 2021, 10:29 am

Not all RHD Chevrolets come from those old Daewoo plants in South Korea. GM did some doors shutting and plant re-assignment where RHD production is concerned. AFAIK, GM Korea and Thailand RHD production is discontinued (possible goodbye to the Colorado). The last 2 that was assembling RHD is in Mexico (Ramos Arizpe) and Argentina (Rosario). So, if I am indeed correct, some of the later Cruze models would have been imported from Rosario and as for the Equinox, those came from Ramos Arizpe that also shipped them to NZ and Australia as RHD.

Here's the thing though, GM is exiting RHD across the board so the rumour is, as soon as inventory is sold out and as plc's come to and end, we may not see a RHD GM vehicle branded as Chevrolet anytime soon.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 2nd, 2021, 1:40 pm

agent007 wrote:Not all RHD Chevrolets come from those old Daewoo plants in South Korea. GM did some doors shutting and plant re-assignment where RHD production is concerned. AFAIK, GM Korea and Thailand RHD production is discontinued (possible goodbye to the Colorado). The last 2 that was assembling RHD is in Mexico (Ramos Arizpe) and Argentina (Rosario). So, if I am indeed correct, some of the later Cruze models would have been imported from Rosario and as for the Equinox, those came from Ramos Arizpe that also shipped them to NZ and Australia as RHD.

Here's the thing though, GM is exiting RHD across the board so the rumour is, as soon as inventory is sold out and as plc's come to and end, we may not see a RHD GM vehicle branded as Chevrolet anytime soon.

I know that the Colorado being sold right now in lifestyle was manufactured in Thailand

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 2nd, 2021, 1:55 pm

The GM Thailand Rayong assembly plant was sold to Great Wall Motors of China. So is this goodbye to the Colorado RHD? Time will tell...

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 3rd, 2021, 1:04 am

Do you have any info on the new Juke? specs etc

agent007 wrote:The GM Thailand Rayong assembly plant was sold to Great Wall Motors of China. So is this goodbye to the Colorado RHD? Time will tell...

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 5th, 2021, 11:53 am

Nothing further apart from what I've posted recently. My contact has asked me to refrain from posting anything on the vehicle until they do their official marketing launch...

In terms of product placement, this new juke will slot between the Datsun Cross and the Qashqai.

Btw everyone, prices went up on many vehicles. I'll update pg 1 hopefully before the week is out so prepare alluh self...

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » January 5th, 2021, 4:08 pm

agent007 wrote:Nothing further apart from what I've posted recently. My contact has asked me to refrain from posting anything on the vehicle until they do their official marketing launch...

In terms of product placement, this new juke will slot between the Datsun Cross and the Qashqai.

Btw everyone, prices went up on many vehicles. I'll update pg 1 hopefully before the week is out so prepare alluh self...

Anything from your sources on the new X-Trail (T33)?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 5th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Heard a certain electric landed in white and will be launched shortly.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 5th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Nemisis, Massy just raised the prices on the old-stock slow selling T32. Based on that stupid move alone, I'm guessing a T33 might still be some months away.

Dave, exciting news! Its time to give the Ioniq electric some competition. Hopefully it's the Jaguar I-Pace or Mazda MX-30.

**just in**
The 2021 all new 7th gen Hyundai Elantra should be here by March.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 5th, 2021, 7:27 pm

More on the higher end of the spectrum Agent. PT would be the initials.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 5th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Dave wrote:More on the higher end of the spectrum Agent. PT would be the initials.

Insert Eyes Emoji Here.jpg

???

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 5th, 2021, 8:12 pm

agent007 wrote:Nemisis, Massy just raised the prices on the old-stock slow selling T32. Based on that stupid move alone, I'm guessing a T33 might still be some months away.

Dave, exciting news! Its time to give the Ioniq electric some competition. Hopefully it's the Jaguar I-Pace or Mazda MX-30.

**just in**

If the pics I saw are correct, it looks like a Livina and Pathfinder merged...and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

For discussion though, concerning your point about the increase in vehicle prices, hybrid or otherwise; the cost of living and many other expenses are increasing, while many salaries/earnings aren't. How much of an increase do you predict is required before new vehicle sales decrease enough to say, force a dealership's hand to reduce prices or is that a lost cause?

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 5th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Taycan?
Joshie23 wrote:
Dave wrote:More on the higher end of the spectrum Agent. PT would be the initials.

Insert Eyes Emoji Here.jpg

???

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » January 5th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
agent007 wrote:Nemisis, Massy just raised the prices on the old-stock slow selling T32. Based on that stupid move alone, I'm guessing a T33 might still be some months away.

**just in**

If the pics I saw are correct, it looks like a Livina and Pathfinder merged...and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

For discussion though, concerning your point about the increase in vehicle prices, hybrid or otherwise; the cost of living and many other expenses are increasing, while many salaries/earnings aren't. How much of an increase do you predict is required before new vehicle sales decrease enough to say, force a dealership's hand to reduce prices or is that a lost cause?

More like they go tell you zero down and pay back yuh loan in 10 years.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » January 5th, 2021, 10:09 pm

Joshie23 wrote:

**just in**

That's not how the system works here. Firstly They have you by the balls ... There is no reliable mass transit system so you need a car. Secondly there is something called a new car dealers association (aka a cartel) where they collaborate on lobbying the government and decide together how to maximize profits and set prices. The next thing is that they don't lower prices, They have limited sales and they will offer discounts to people who know how to negotiate.

Family member recently managed to get 12K off a CRV mid spec with some negotiation, things were are so bad in terms of sales they offered 20K off on a limited sale to clear out inventory for 1 day.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » January 5th, 2021, 11:33 pm

agent007 wrote:The GM Thailand Rayong assembly plant was sold to Great Wall Motors of China. So is this goodbye to the Colorado RHD? Time will tell...
Correct, it's dead in Australia. Basically full closure of a bunch of Holden dealerships. They claim parts will still be available for current owners but the Holden Colorado name is officially extinct

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 6th, 2021, 1:13 am

If we were not entangled in this pandemic situation, it would have been awesome for LSM to do the launch with Will Smith!

Anyhoo, to answer Joshie, we all know dealerships must make a profit. With demand lessened and with a forex crisis, it means we have a supply problem to battle with. So, to combat this, the dealers will restructure and trim the fat and still raise prices of their lineup. They may be selling less units but post restructure and with increased pricing, the markups remain healthy.

The association cartel would have advised the power that be to revise the statutory taxes to be paid to give the illusion to the public that it was a govt measure that is making new cars unreachable for many. It was just an excuse to raise prices. If the govt removes all taxes, the dealers will not pass those true savings unto us. Similarly, with increased taxes, they will guise their mandatory percentage markup to ensure profitability no matter what.

It’s a win win situation for them. The cartel then works with the biggest chain up system known to mankind and that is the banking sector. By offering 7, 8 and even up to 10 year loans at 0% down and 3.99% interest (as Nemisis pointed out). This would be the narco state’s response to ensuring we the working class people can drive a brand new vehicle.

Think why Visham et al. was complaining re: foreign used market. They pushing for the authorized dealerships to survive whilst grey market imports will have to suffer. The roro market has its days numbered. You can’t beat the new vehicle dealership cartel nor can you beat policies created out of collusion from the financial sector.

It’s a question of the haves vs the have nots. The middle class would be eroded slowly but surely. Now, for the salaried person who get away from the axe, if he/she so chooses to buy a brand new car, imagine the slavery of having to pay back for a car over a period of 10years. That is insane. What kind of salary do you really need to be earning to satisfy the 40% TDSR requirement whilst paying for a vehicle, a house and a family to take care of which comes with bills and responsibilities?

I can go on and on but let me stop there before they arrange to silence me.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 6th, 2021, 8:43 am

The hard part is all the taxes imposed when you are buying a vehicle

What in effect you are buying is (maybe almost 50 % ) a tax

All this while the people implementing this are getting their vehicles tax free

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 6th, 2021, 11:58 am

agent007 wrote:If we were not entangled in this pandemic situation, it would have been awesome for LSM to do the launch with Will Smith!

Anyhoo, to answer Joshie, we all know dealerships must make a profit. With demand lessened and with a forex crisis, it means we have a supply problem to battle with. So, to combat this, the dealers will restructure and trim the fat and still raise prices of their lineup. They may be selling less units but post restructure and with increased pricing, the markups remain healthy.

The association cartel would have advised the power that be to revise the statutory taxes to be paid to give the illusion to the public that it was a govt measure that is making new cars unreachable for many. It was just an excuse to raise prices. If the govt removes all taxes, the dealers will not pass those true savings unto us. Similarly, with increased taxes, they will guise their mandatory percentage markup to ensure profitability no matter what.

It’s a win win situation for them. The cartel then works with the biggest chain up system known to mankind and that is the banking sector. By offering 7, 8 and even up to 10 year loans at 0% down and 3.99% interest (as Nemisis pointed out). This would be the narco state’s response to ensuring we the working class people can drive a brand new vehicle.

Think why Visham et al. was complaining re: foreign used market. They pushing for the authorized dealerships to survive whilst grey market imports will have to suffer. The roro market has its days numbered. You can’t beat the new vehicle dealership cartel nor can you beat policies created out of collusion from the financial sector.

It’s a question of the haves vs the have nots. The middle class would be eroded slowly but surely. Now, for the salaried person who get away from the axe, if he/she so chooses to buy a brand new car, imagine the slavery of having to pay back for a car over a period of 10years. That is insane. What kind of salary do you really need to be earning to satisfy the 40% TDSR requirement whilst paying for a vehicle, a house and a family to take care of which comes with bills and responsibilities?

That's what you get when 1% owns the red government

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » January 6th, 2021, 2:54 pm

PariaMan wrote:The hard part is all the taxes imposed when you are buying a vehicle

This.

Even though I can afford a new vehicle comfortably, I almost definitely won’t go the route of taking a 7, 8 or 10 year loans.

I rather go local used. New is not a good value for my money in my books.

apole69
Street 2NR

Postby apole69 » January 6th, 2021, 4:47 pm

scotty_buttons wrote:
PariaMan wrote:The hard part is all the taxes imposed when you are buying a vehicle

This.

Even though I can afford a new vehicle comfortably, I almost definitely won’t go the route of taking a 7, 8 or 10 year loans.

I rather go local used. New is not a good value for my money in my books.

Totally agree !!!!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 6th, 2021, 6:32 pm

It have some people out there they can't stand the dishonesty of people selling used vehicles. It can be a turnoff arranging to view a local used vehicle because the owners simply stink, unprofessional or blatantly lying. Then there's presentation. You go to see a used vehicle and inside/outside the car stink and they looking scruffy. If owners can be so lackadaisical then imagine the treatment the vehicle got whilst in their possession. I must agree though, there's some sweetheart deals that exist, being sold by honest clean decent people and those are the ones you feel comfortable doing business with. But since that is few and far between, it gives OCD people no other choice. Besides, if taking a loan to purchase a used vehicle, the interest rate is higher than that of a new vehicle and you always have to pay a downpayment. Whereas with new, 0 downpayment is very common.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » January 6th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Between the financing options for new vs used vehicles, and in contrast the taxes/ costs attached to new vehicles, then the obvious issues with local dealerships, of which, none are perfect, you really have to search for the lesser of the evils.

No direction is a clear cut good idea.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » January 7th, 2021, 6:19 am

agent007 wrote:If we were not entangled in this pandemic situation, it would have been awesome for LSM to do the launch with Will Smith!

Protect this man at all costs!! 8-) Interesting write-up Agent, thanks for the response.

Good point pal. Makes you wonder if the Gov't was really trying to stem the amount of vehicles coming in or if they realised how much money was being 'lost' in taxes.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » January 7th, 2021, 6:52 am

agent007 wrote:... Then there's presentation. You go to see a used vehicle and inside/outside the car stink and they looking scruffy. If owners can be so lackadaisical then imagine the treatment the vehicle got whilst in their possession.....

My car always stink but always well maintained with service logs to show.
Need to fix that for 2021 though :x

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 8th, 2021, 7:44 am

DJ Q wrote:
agent007 wrote:... Then there's presentation. You go to see a used vehicle and inside/outside the car stink and they looking scruffy. If owners can be so lackadaisical then imagine the treatment the vehicle got whilst in their possession.....

My car always stink but always well maintained with service logs to show.
Need to fix that for 2021 though :x

How the interior of a vehicle is kept is usually a good example of how one's living space is!

Like 90% of the time

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”