TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » October 7th, 2020, 11:46 pm

@ limegreen, I don’t think so. By artificially stifling supply by applying a cap on importation, it gives the dealership cartel justification to increase prices because they cannot make the profits due to numbers but instead make profits by selling less cars by jacking up the price.

@ mantis, the Mazda CX-5 depending on which automotive publication you get your reviews from generally put it at spot #1 or #2. It’s simply one of the best in its class and unlike a lot of its competitors, it still uses a torque converter 6AT transmission as opposed to CVT or DCT. Highly recommended.

@ ismithx, wanna know something ridiculous? The RAV4 2.5 is over $600k. and it smaller than an Outback. Let that sink in....

Xander_25
Street 2NR

Postby Xander_25 » October 11th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Good Evening Guys,

Been reading through all the info here and I've got to say that there's a vast wealth of knowledge in here. I'm currently in possession of a Hyundai Elantra (2017 Model), which leaves my hands later this week. I'm in the market for a pickup, mainly because of the following reasons:

1. My job is in IT and we manage several key sites on the island, with one new site coming online soon. We carry a lot of equipment around and it's not always convenient/wise to do that with a car.
2. Durability/reliability. I would like to have something that I know I can count on, notwithstanding that each brand/model would have their issues here and there (inevitable really, given that they're all mad-made products and failure is bound to happen at some time). Plus, I live in Tobago and our local road improvement coordinators (WASA) have left many of the roads in a really bad state, especially where I live which is just outside of Scarborough. So I need something more robust. A car simply won't cut it.
3. Clearance: Where I live, my driveway is slightly below road level. So in reversing into the driveway, I have to take my time, else the car will drag a bit along the pinch weld below the car. So something with more clearance would be good.
4. Comfort. Sometimes I would be out for hours at a time, so comfort is key for those long periods of driving.

I've been comparing the Isuzu D-Max, Ford Ranger and Nissan Navara (NP300), and in reading through some of the threads here, especially the most recent ones, I'm inclined to lean toward the NP300. Based though on the experiences with pickups here, what would be:

1. The most favourable option to go after?
2. Would it be better to buy new vs. used/pre-owned, and which brand would be the most sensible pick?
3. As it relates to parts affordability which of these would give the best option for overall longevity and affordability?

I hope my questions make sense. I'm still plenty green in this area and just want to ensure that the next purchase I make is a sensible one. I do know that for sure a pickup is the best option given the terrain/road state in Tobago, I just want to make the best, informed decision available. I was inclined before to buy an SUV (Massy loaned me a Creta to use while they repaired my vehicle and it was enjoyable though I think Hyundai's steering computation really needs some work), but an SUV won't really suit my needs.

Thanks in advance guys.

**Edit.. forgot to mention Automatic only. I have a fiancee, so would want her to be able to drive it as well.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 11th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Xander,

I'm inclined to Toyota Hilux, which I noticed is not on your list, or the Navara NP300.

I know the Dmax has some great reviews but the first two are my picks.

I also believe that the second hand market can be fruitful and beneficial, if you are thorough and careful. There are alot of scammers in the second hand market but also quite a number of great buys.

If you are buying second hand, common things to ask the seller for include the service history for the vehicle and any major problems. You can also ask the dealer to verify the service history of the vehicle for you. You may not get a print out, due to confidentiality, but they would tell you if the vehicle was routinely serviced as well as if there were major parts replacements and/or any accident history of its on their file.

In addition to the above, have the vehicle inspected by a good technician. Many tuners in here can link a good technician and if it's a Toyota Hilux, I can certainly recommend an excellent (if not the best) in South Trinidad. You will have to pay for the services, obviously, but a good technician can diagnose that used vehicle and let you know any issues one time.

I for one would say buying new can be financially straining and then you have to consider warranty maintenance etc, which is a real dig out eye.

Ranger can be hit or miss, especially with the known issues on the 6AT. I am sure others can advise on those specifics.

The Hilux and NP300 are capable vans and can be jammed tremendously. Either one to me is worth it and I believe the NP300 is a bit of a smoother ride.

Parts longevity is subjective... You can baby up your ride on those bumpy roads and the suspension will last a lifetime. Or, like me, you know your vehicle can take the jamming and you just show those roads who is boss, but you'll have to change suspension parts frequently. The beauty of suspension parts, which is one of those parts that deals with our roads, is that for all vans, there is a good array of excellent after market parts such as ARB, Dobinsons and Bilstein which are engineering specifically for your vehicle.

Nissan parts are affordable and easily available along with a wide variety of non-orignial but good replacements. Totota parts are expensive and possibly not as many good non-orignial parts available out there.

Start the second hand search and I am sure in a month or so, you'll locate your next vehicle.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 11th, 2020, 9:11 pm

If you opt for the np300 LE grade, you get rear coil springs so it's a more stable highway ride than the hilux but in terms of weight, the hilux's leaf springs can take more.

Now I'm not aware of any np300 7AT complaints but do note, said np300s come with an automatic transmission supplied by Jatco. The same company that making these lawsuit transmissions in the Pathfinder and Xtrail etc.

The hilux 6AT transmission I think is supplied by Aisin and well it stands up to arab desert warfare abuse so again take yuh pick lol.

As for the Dmax, value for dollar is strong with that one. It basically doing the same as the others with a lower price entry point but it a little more basic where the interior is concerned. In terms of exterior, I find they look nice.

Colorado are good options too. There is a special on the Chevy with a 5 year warranty and that comes with a lot of surprising features. It's also very powerful, the traffic light drag king of the pickups.

Then you have the L200 which I believe ANSA is throwing in 2 years free service atm but its by far the ugliest of the bunch.

Xander_25
Street 2NR

Postby Xander_25 » October 11th, 2020, 10:50 pm

carluva wrote:Xander,

I'm inclined to Toyota Hilux, which I noticed is not on your list, or the Navara NP300.

I know the Dmax has some great reviews but the first two are my picks.

I also believe that the second hand market can be fruitful and beneficial, if you are thorough and careful. There are alot of scammers in the second hand market but also quite a number of great buys.

If you are buying second hand, common things to ask the seller for include the service history for the vehicle and any major problems. You can also ask the dealer to verify the service history of the vehicle for you. You may not get a print out, due to confidentiality, but they would tell you if the vehicle was routinely serviced as well as if there were major parts replacements and/or any accident history of its on their file.

In addition to the above, have the vehicle inspected by a good technician. Many tuners in here can link a good technician and if it's a Toyota Hilux, I can certainly recommend an excellent (if not the best) in South Trinidad. You will have to pay for the services, obviously, but a good technician can diagnose that used vehicle and let you know any issues one time.

I for one would say buying new can be financially straining and then you have to consider warranty maintenance etc, which is a real dig out eye.

Ranger can be hit or miss, especially with the known issues on the 6AT. I am sure others can advise on those specifics.

The Hilux and NP300 are capable vans and can be jammed tremendously. Either one to me is worth it and I believe the NP300 is a bit of a smoother ride.

Parts longevity is subjective... You can baby up your ride on those bumpy roads and the suspension will last a lifetime. Or, like me, you know your vehicle can take the jamming and you just show those roads who is boss, but you'll have to change suspension parts frequently. The beauty of suspension parts, which is one of those parts that deals with our roads, is that for all vans, there is a good array of excellent after market parts such as ARB, Dobinsons and Bilstein which are engineering specifically for your vehicle.

Nissan parts are affordable and easily available along with a wide variety of non-original but good replacements. Toyota parts are expensive and possibly not as many good non-original parts available out there.

Start the second hand search and I am sure in a month or so, you'll locate your next vehicle.

Thanks carluva. I didn't include the Hilux, because I'm not really a big fan. I know reliability, longevity, etc. are all strong points for the brand, I'm just not that big a fan. That and the fact that I know the parts cost a lot. But again, the fact that the as far as I know the parts do stand up speaks a lot. Over here you'll see a lot of Toyota and NP300's on the road. I have a co-worker who has a Hilux single cab that's probably a 2009 or something and it's still going strong. I did start looking at second hand so I'll continue along that vein. I have two cousins with Dmax (single and dual cab), but I really don't like how it looks. Will still check the Toyotas as well and see if anything calls mah name. Thanks much for the advice.

Xander_25
Street 2NR

Postby Xander_25 » October 11th, 2020, 11:04 pm

agent007 wrote:If you opt for the np300 LE grade, you get rear coil springs so it's a more stable highway ride than the hilux but in terms of weight, the hilux's leaf springs can take more.

Now I'm not aware of any np300 7AT complaints but do note, said np300s come with an automatic transmission supplied by Jatco. The same company that making these lawsuit transmissions in the Pathfinder and Xtrail etc.

The hilux 6AT transmission I think is supplied by Aisin and well it stands up to arab desert warfare abuse so again take yuh pick lol.

As for the Dmax, value for dollar is strong with that one. It basically doing the same as the others with a lower price entry point but it a little more basic where the interior is concerned. In terms of exterior, I find they look nice.

Colorado are good options too. There is a special on the Chevy with a 5 year warranty and that comes with a lot of surprising features. It's also very powerful, the traffic light drag king of the pickups.

Then you have the L200 which I believe ANSA is throwing in 2 years free service atm but its by far the ugliest of the bunch.

Thanks agent007. So between your response and carluva's it's basically down to nissan vs toyota with maybe a dash to dmax (though I really don't like how it looks too much).

I never liked the L200. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. The Colorado, I've been seeing more of them popping up in Tobago, but the problem I'd look at as well is servicing. Since we don't have a depot here, it means you have to head to Trini to get serviced. Same with Toyota. So unless I buy second-hand, going brand new may mean either Nissan or Dmax. If I buy second-hand, I already have a reliable, trained mechanic that I can go to here in Tobago. But I've got a lot of information now to digest so that I can make the best decision. Thanks much guys.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 11th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Fwiw, a few years ago I bought a second hand fortuner. I never liked fortuner prior to that but out of necessity, I bought it. I now have it for 4 years and this vehicle is 7 years old. And believe when I say, that vehicle has grown on me and the wife. So much so that we'll quicker part with our 2014 Rav4 than the fortuner if it came to that. The fortuner and Hilux share the same, well everything you could say, except for rear suspension which is different (shocks vs leaf springs). But that fortuner is a beast and we give roads real jamming and it doesn't bat an eye. And this is a stock vehicle as well... Hilux is no different and possibly even more rugged.

My point is, you may be surprised how much a vehicle you don't really fancy now can grow on you.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 12th, 2020, 12:14 am

True. I would say Toyota knows 4WD well, probably make the worlds best 4WD body on frame pickups and SUVs.

Xander_25
Street 2NR

Postby Xander_25 » October 12th, 2020, 2:14 am

Thanks fellas. Food for thought there. I will internalize for sure and decide how best to move forward. Thanks again!!

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 12th, 2020, 10:52 am

Just out of curiosity - does any dealership bring in gasoline engine pickups?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

The Hilux was one but haven't seen any gas badging off late.
Massy brought a few d22 frontiers v6s.
Don't think that happens again.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 12th, 2020, 11:56 am

Xander_25 wrote:
agent007 wrote:If you opt for the np300 LE grade, you get rear coil springs so it's a more stable highway ride than the hilux but in terms of weight, the hilux's leaf springs can take more.

Thanks agent007. So between your response and carluva's it's basically down to nissan vs toyota with maybe a dash to dmax (though I really don't like how it looks too much).

I never liked the L200. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. The Colorado, I've been seeing more of them popping up in Tobago, but the problem I'd look at as well is servicing. Since we don't have a depot here, it means you have to head to Trini to get serviced. Same with Toyota. So unless I buy second-hand, going brand new may mean either Nissan or Dmax. If I buy second-hand, I already have a reliable, trained mechanic that I can go to here in Tobago. But I've got a lot of information now to digest so that I can make the best decision. Thanks much guys.

LSM has an authorized garage in Tobago for servicing of Chevy and Suzuki vehicles. Ask a rep they should be able to give you the details.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 12th, 2020, 12:06 pm

So LSM just announced their end of year sale with some significant price reductions:
Chevrolet:
- Spark now $120K
- Sonic now $145K
- Trax LS now $180K
- Cruze LTZ now $180K
- Trax LT now $200K
- Equinox now $275K
- Colorado LT now $245K
- Colorado LTZ now $275K

Jeep:
- Compass now $299k - $309K (diff is powered tailgate/rev sensors)

Suzuki:
- DZire GL now $125K
- DZire GLX now $140K
- Ciaz GL now $154K
- Ciaz GLX now $169K
- Swift GL now $144K
- Swift GLX now 154K - $159K (touchscreen)
- Baleno now $159K
- Ignis now $150K
- Vitara now $180K - $227K (GL to GLX 2WD)

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 12th, 2020, 2:32 pm

275k for a Colorado LTZ? Ways!!!!!!!

No sale on any jeep wrangler etc or swift sport?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 12th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Dave wrote:The Hilux was one but haven't seen any gas badging off late.

Ahh ok.
What would be the benefit of a diesel pick up if diesel achieves price parity with gas next year?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 12th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Diesel engines, on average, last much longer that petrol engines
Dizzy28 wrote:
Dave wrote:The Hilux was one but haven't seen any gas badging off late.

Ahh ok.
What would be the benefit of a diesel pick up if diesel achieves price parity with gas next year?

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » October 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm

There's atleast 3 in my area that is used exclusively for "fish work".That's probably possible with the Isuzu
agent007 wrote:I just can’t recall any K2700 d/c at all. Perhaps since SS already sells a d/c Isuzu with a higher payload at a reasonable price?

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 13th, 2020, 9:28 am

carluva wrote:275k for a Colorado LTZ? Ways!!!!!!!

No sale on any jeep wrangler etc or swift sport?

last I saw the Swift Sport was $199,950 which IMO is a descent price. I think LSM only has Sahara Wranglers right now in stock, they start from $715K.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 13th, 2020, 1:00 pm

The Cruze @ 180k is insane! That is probably the best performance you would get at that price. If I was buying one and with the savings, I would buy a Tricfecta tune ($549.USD) and bump hp from 153 to 212 and torque from 177ft-lbs to 251(or 240Nm to 340Nm) on american 92AKI which would be fine on our 95RON premium.

Question is, how long until the transmission detonates on itself lol

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

agent007 wrote:The Cruze @ 180k is insane! That is probably the best performance you would get at that price. If I was buying one and with the savings, I would buy a Tricfecta tune ($549.USD) and bump hp from 153 to 212 and torque from 177ft-lbs to 251(or 240Nm to 340Nm) on american 92AKI which would be fine on our 95RON premium.

not a bad idea, I mean it's turbo charged after all. Tranny is another issue, lol.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 13th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Someone of those tranny issues were sorted in the first gen. An external aftermarket cooler will never be a wasted thought. Sure helped my Sentra!

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » October 13th, 2020, 5:27 pm

agent007 wrote:The Cruze @ 180k is insane! That is probably the best performance you would get at that price. If I was buying one and with the savings, I would buy a Tricfecta tune ($549.USD) and bump hp from 153 to 212 and torque from 177ft-lbs to 251(or 240Nm to 340Nm) on american 92AKI which would be fine on our 95RON premium.

Right!!! The Cruze coupled with my experience with Lifestyle is extremely attractive and I would recommend.

Lifestyle these days deserves the praise when I see fit, their service and parts department really impressing me

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby roadhog » October 13th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Saw the new face lift 2021 hilux on the road. Nice machine.
Any idea when Toyota will be bringing them??

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » October 14th, 2020, 8:43 am

Imagine the price they gonna try and buss for it na. And it will be nowhere near trimmed or outfitted as that new Invincible. Saw a white as well from Czar Distribution I think.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 14th, 2020, 9:55 am

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2721.JPG

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 14th, 2020, 9:56 am

IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » October 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm

One of my friends in AU got his new bt50 delivered monday
FB_IMG_1602699597521.jpeg

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby roadhog » October 14th, 2020, 3:28 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Imagine the price they gonna try and buss for it na. And it will be nowhere near trimmed or outfitted as that new Invincible. Saw a white as well from Czar Distribution I think.

Looks like they brought a few units that sold already .

$385k is the quoted price.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 14th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Any pics?
roadhog wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:Imagine the price they gonna try and buss for it na. And it will be nowhere near trimmed or outfitted as that new Invincible. Saw a white as well from Czar Distribution I think.

roadhog
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby roadhog » October 14th, 2020, 8:19 pm

PariaMan wrote:Any pics?
roadhog wrote:

Check their Facebook page.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”