Forums

Automatic Transmission Trivia

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Automatic Transmission Trivia

Postby kamakazi » August 14th, 2020, 1:10 pm

I want to find out how many people know this, if they didn't know or maybe there automatic transmission behaves differently.

Question: How many people know that on most original automatic transmissions you can push the gear selector up from drive without pushing the button and it will stop in neutral?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Automatic Transmission Trivia

Postby gastly369 » August 14th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Congratulations on getting your licence... Don't drive like the typical trini thanks

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 14th, 2020, 1:45 pm

i wonder if this sort of information is documented somewhere, like if the manufacturers would tell people about this secret. Maybe it would be helpful if they had printed it in a book somewhere with details about the vehicle.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Thank you gastly369, got it a while ago.
I'll take that as a yes.

Thank you maj Tom. I will send that photo to persons who don't understand how the selector works

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » August 14th, 2020, 2:17 pm

This is a joke ?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 14th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Nope.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » August 14th, 2020, 3:31 pm

kamakazi wrote:I want to find out how many people know this, if they didn't know or maybe there automatic transmission behaves differently.

Question: How many people know that on most original automatic transmissions you can push the gear selector up from drive without pushing the button and it will stop in neutral?

the real question is :arrow: can you slip it in drive (D) from neutral (N) whilst the car is rolling, engine idling :?:

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 14th, 2020, 4:46 pm

That is transmission specific.

In my experience Honda's that have the automated manual do not like when you do this.

Some Toyotas with planetary gear autos (standard automatics) are generally ok; in "D", once you aren't giving throttle the revs usually drop to just about 1100, when the vehicle is doing 80-100kph... In my experience.

Haven't tested any others though.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 14th, 2020, 7:20 pm

You can push start an automatic transmission car.

You just need to be a superhero to do it as you need to get it going to about 40km/h before the engine will start.

If you want to see this for yourself, on a straight section of private road or track (don't do this on the public road), drive at 40km/h or above, switch the ignition off (but to the "Accessories" position so the steering wheel does not lock) while the car is still in Drive, switch the ignition back to the "On" position (do not turn the ignition switch the full way), mash the accelerator pedal and the engine will start and you are under power again.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 14th, 2020, 7:33 pm

kamakazi, yuh late.
Question

Did you know that in some vehicles with an automatic transmission, the car can be driven EXACTLY the same way you'd drive a car with a manual gearbox? Not saying you have to, but that if you were so incredibly you could, with zero possibility of doing damage to the transmission once done properly.
And in case anyone wondering why do it, yes there's an advantage to doing this in certain situations.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 15th, 2020, 10:13 am

88sins wrote:kamakazi, yuh late.
Question

Did you know that in some vehicles with an automatic transmission, the car can be driven EXACTLY the same way you'd drive a car with a manual gearbox? Not saying you have to, but that if you were so incredibly you could, with zero possibility of doing damage to the transmission once done properly.
And in case anyone wondering why do it, yes there's an advantage to doing this in certain situations.

What are the certain situations?

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » August 15th, 2020, 10:57 am

Just for confirmation....at a stop from neutral to drive while pressing brakes, u dont need to press shift lever right? Cause i find that it does be notchy shifting back to drive and its smoother to press the shift lever to shift.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 17th, 2020, 3:19 pm

I mean it isn't necessary to stop.
And a lot of those unintended acceleration accidents could have been avoided.
aaron17 wrote:Just for confirmation....at a stop from neutral to drive while pressing brakes, u dont need to press shift lever right? Cause i find that it does be notchy shifting back to drive and its smoother to press the shift lever to shift.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 17th, 2020, 7:10 pm

kamakazi wrote:I mean it isn't necessary to stop.
aaron17 wrote:Just for confirmation....at a stop from neutral to drive while pressing brakes, u dont need to press shift lever right? Cause i find that it does be notchy shifting back to drive and its smoother to press the shift lever to shift.
Unintended acceleration can be addressed by depressing the brakes, shifting to neutral or park, or by turning the ignition key to ACCESSORY.

Depressing the brake override many electronic throttle controls. Killing the engine will eliminate the acceleration issue and will allow the vehicle transmission to slow or stop the vehicle. This will work for automatic and manual transmissions.

US/EU/JPN safety standards for passenger cars and light trucks require braking force from a vehicle automatic transmission that is in gear.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Each vehicle has its specifics but it is so simple to tap a gear lever into neutral from drive...No brakes required.

Brake pedal effort usually goes up when the engine isn't running... Unless you have manual brakes
adnj wrote:
Unintended acceleration can be addressed by depressing the brakes, shifting to neutral or park, or by turning the ignition key to ACCESSORY.

Depressing the brake override many electronic throttle controls. Killing the engine will eliminate the acceleration issue and will allow the vehicle transmission to slow or stop the vehicle. This will work for automatic and manual transmissions.

US/EU/JPN safety standards for passenger cars and light trucks require braking force from a vehicle automatic transmission that is in gear.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » August 30th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:You can push start an automatic transmission car.

You just need to be a superhero to do it as you need to get it going to about 40km/h before the engine will start.

If you want to see this for yourself, on a straight section of private road or track (don't do this on the public road), drive at 40km/h or above, switch the ignition off (but to the "Accessories" position so the steering wheel does not lock) while the car is still in Drive, switch the ignition back to the "On" position (do not turn the ignition switch the full way), mash the accelerator pedal and the engine will start and you are under power again.

wont the neutral safety switch prevent the car from starting as you already are in the drive gear ??

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 31st, 2020, 7:30 am

skylinechild wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:You can push start an automatic transmission car.

wont the neutral safety switch prevent the car from starting as you already are in the drive gear ??
The neutral safety switch, as part of the starter-interlock system, is a control in the starter relay circuit. The manual transmission analog is the clutch safety switch.

If the neutral safety switch is open or has failed, you cannot actuate the vehicle's starter but the vehicle will still run and can be push-started.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 4th, 2020, 10:32 am

adnj wrote:

But wouldn't killing the engine make the steering go hard and also you lose brakes? Best bet I think would be to shift to neutral

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 4th, 2020, 11:13 am

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

But wouldn't killing the engine make the steering go hard and also you lose brakes? Best bet I think would be to shift to neutral

For some, it may be best to practice all mitigation actions in case of a panic situation but if you are confident in one maneuver, you're better off than having none.

To clarify what I posted previously, unintended acceleration can be addressed by:

1. depressing the brakes,
2. shifting to neutral or park, or by
3. turning the ignition key to ACCESSORY.

The vehicle recall studies that I participated in showed that most sudden vehicle acceleration events were caused by pressing the accelerator while simultaneously pressing the brake pedal.

Test drivers believed the opposite but the vehicle instrumentation indicated that the drivers were simply mistaken.

Another issue was missing the shift on both manual and automatic transmission.

Shutting down the engine caused control and braking issues at high speed but was less of a problem at driveway simulated speeds. It was also not uncommon for the ignition to be switched to OFF thereby locking the steering wheel.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 6th, 2020, 7:41 am

another "feature" I've noticed recently(but in Korean vehicles). You know how with most Japanese vehicles you need to mash the brake pedal to release the selector?? I took a drive in a cerato and optima, no need to mash the brake predal to move selector...No I didn't now get meh license...Now took a drive in a Korean..

let's make it more interesting. Ever drove at around 80km and just move from drive to park.....LOL

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 6th, 2020, 12:53 pm

I've seen one shifted into reverse at over 100kph; a man and a woman arguing on the highway while driving (I can only imagine that the woman wasn't happy at the drive that was performed by the man and she shifted the gear selector)

I only saw the reverse lights for like 1 second
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:another "feature" I've noticed recently(but in Korean vehicles). You know how with most Japanese vehicles you need to mash the brake pedal to release the selector?? I took a drive in a cerato and optima, no need to mash the brake predal to move selector...No I didn't now get meh license...Now took a drive in a Korean..

let's make it more interesting. Ever drove at around 80km and just move from drive to park.....LOL

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”