TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

tyres

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 15th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I actually looked at the reviews on that site and both the Toyo T1R's and Proxes 4 came in with excellent reviews.. equal to or just exceeding the esteemed Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position...
Also glad to see a V speed rating on the Toyo, because on rare occasions I manage to equal or even exceed the 210kmph on "H" ratings.. Just more about peace of mind

I think im pretty much sold on the Toyo assuming I can get a decent price from Mileage Mack.....

As for the DZ101's, im stil amazed that a 300 tread AA tire has such average wet traction..

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » April 15th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Toyo treadwear is reported to be less than other brands
I mean that a 280 wear Dunlop may outlast a 280 wear Toyo

I still will be buying some T1R's in the near future, good reviews and my daily commute is not that long

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » April 15th, 2010, 3:52 pm

CD4Accord wrote:I actually looked at the reviews on that site and both the Toyo T1R's and Proxes 4 came in with excellent reviews.. equal to or just exceeding the esteemed Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position...
Also glad to see a V speed rating on the Toyo, because on rare occasions I manage to equal or even exceed the 210kmph on "H" ratings.. Just more about peace of mind

I think im pretty much sold on the Toyo assuming I can get a decent price from Mileage Mack.....

As for the DZ101's, im stil amazed that a 300 tread AA tire has such average wet traction..

The traction rating varies is across brands too
and I think it is tested on wet tarmac braking in a straight line, it does not account for cornering

you may not have to worry so much about the H rating speed
There are few places in Trinidad where you can sustain that speed for the 10 minutes that it is guaranteed for

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » April 15th, 2010, 3:57 pm

novastar1, doh boast!

*steups*

:lol:

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » April 15th, 2010, 4:17 pm

CD4Accord wrote:I actually looked at the reviews on that site and both the Toyo T1R's and Proxes 4 came in with excellent reviews.. equal to or just exceeding the esteemed Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position...

EVA unit bai
careful you slide off the road since it has started raining again
:wink:
Last edited by novastar1 on April 15th, 2010, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » April 15th, 2010, 4:18 pm

EVA Unit-01 wrote:novastar1, doh boast!

*steups*

:lol:

I not boastin

Ent I tell you what I have on the primera
Claims to be good in the wet though
and a bit better than what I have before

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 15th, 2010, 5:24 pm

So thats the thing, when I call mileage mack they could never tell me what kinda Toyo they have, just saying Toyo.. Looks like they dont make the Proxes4 in 205/60/15, will have to go 205/55/15.. Or wishful thinking that it would fit, 225/50/15 haha

Well I agree about the 10 mins of that speed, I just like the extra comfort factor in my mind.. you know what i mean..... Just peace of mind.. Ironic cause if i wanted to be safe I wouldnt be doing so much speed...
ANYWAY

I know exactly what you mean bout traction ratings varying brand to brand, how else would Nexen N3000 get AA traction and my lovely Continental ExtremeContact DWS have A traction

Which reminds me, I have the rubber on the car about 3 weeks now so I can review..
225/50/17, wet traction is PHENOMENAL, as in, as close as dry to make no difference..
On the other hand, it just feels a bit less crisp on turn in than my old Yokohamas but I think thats more due to the fact that the yokos were worn almost to slicks so they had excellent turn in response..
Next thing, I just cant peel out and burnout on these Conti's like I could on the yoko despite them being a slightly harder compound (520 vs 500) but, I attribute this to them having better dry handling as well..
Finally, noise, Id say they are much quieter than the Yoko and feel much more comfortable on rough (relatively speaking seeing as I in the states with the Volvo) roads...

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 4th, 2010, 3:42 am

Back to waste down my friends DZ101's...

She has a VW Jetta GLI (1.8t(~200hp 6spd) with the 18" stock rims... Those DZ101's led to horrible torque steer on dry and worse on wet... In addition, ride was loud and cornering did not feel linear at all... It would break traction unexpectedly..

Finally, after 5 months with those tyres, one of them essentially disintegrated while driving on the highway...
May not be the fault of the tyre but definitely not something im willing to chance

Needless to say, she switched to Falken Zeix and the car feels completely different.. Much more competent at cornering and braking, not to mention good wet traction...

------------

So after all that, anyone happen to speak to Mileage Mack recently about Toyo?
Also, any idea if Laughlin got their new shipment of Kumhos in yet?

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm

So, im finally back in the country and proceeded to make some calls...

Mileage Mack has the toyo P4 and the T1R for about $880 after vat., but in 205/50/15.. meaning my speedo will be off about 4.5%

On the other hand L&DG just got their shipment of Kumho in and claim to be selling Ecsta SPT (KU31) in 205/55/15 for about $550 a pop...

Anyone have experience with these? Reviews are quite positive

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tireb ... %28KU31%29

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU31.htm

Looks like easily the best deal on the market right now.. I'm not entirely sure I can justify the price difference for the Toyo...

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » May 7th, 2010, 5:05 pm

what about 215/45/17 kumho

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 7th, 2010, 7:43 pm

So, im finally back in the country and proceeded to make some calls...

Mileage Mack has the toyo P4 and the T1R for about $880 after vat., but in 205/50/15.. meaning my speedo will be off about 4.5%

On the other hand L&DG just got their shipment of Kumho in and claim to be selling Ecsta SPT (KU31) in 205/55/15 for about $550 a pop...

Anyone have experience with these? Reviews are quite positive

http://www.1010tires.com/ti...odel=Ecsta+SPT+%28KU31%29

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU31.htm

Looks like easily the best deal on the market right now.. I'm not entirely sure I can justify the price difference for the Toyo...

I'd use SPT's if I could get my hands on them in the size I want....locally. Beware, L&DG has been known to sell the runflat version of the SPT's (stiffer sidewall FTL).... :|

masterofmindzchris
Street 2NR

Re: tyres

Postby masterofmindzchris » May 11th, 2010, 12:43 am

Triangle? worst tyres bro! u will end up in the bermuda triangle if u use that. I recommend dunlops, michelin or kumho...maybe nankang n nexen.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » May 11th, 2010, 6:44 am

proxes 4 are crap in my opinion they are louddddddddd and terrible wet traction

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 11th, 2010, 1:33 pm

I will be doing the Kumho SPT assuming its not run flat... I don't see why they would bring in the run flat anyway because as Jeremy Clarkson said, it absolutely ruins the car....
I dont think they could sell the run flat at the prices they quoting me, so im hoping its not that....

Main issue with L&DG is stock.. they never seem to have a full stock of rubber to chose from

Once I sort out my ball joints, its time for some new rubber! Quite excited about it, because I feel like my brembo/hawk setup will be even more effective with the stickier tyres...

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 12th, 2010, 5:02 pm

^Good luck with the Hawks. :|

I'll have to be paid to use HPS's next time around :lol:

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 12th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Without getting too distracted, I love my Hawk HPS.. Best pad I have ever used with my only complaint being the disgusting colour of the dust...
I guess your experience was worse than mine but I bedded it right with NEW brembo sport slotted rotors and no complaints since...

Anyway back to tyres... they dont have the Kumho SPT in 205/60/15 but they do in 205/55/15... I don't mind making the switch, especially for $525 including vat each. I'm also sure that my pops can get a 5-10% discount on top of that and its V rated too!
While I would be the first to admit the Toyo T1R is a better tyre, its NOT worth almost twice as much..

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 12th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Without getting too distracted, I love my Hawk HPS.. Best pad I have ever used with my only complaint being the disgusting colour of the dust...
I guess your experience was worse than mine but I bedded it right with NEW brembo sport slotted rotors and no complaints since...

Yes, not to detract from the thread....but dust (I mean...ENDLESS dust, more than OE), no significant improvement in one-off hard stopping, and ridiculously short life (and I am not a manic driver by ANY stretch of the imagination.... ). And yes, I followed the bedding procedure to a "T".

Moved to the Stoptech/Centric Posiquiets.....will never look back.

Anyway back to tyres... they dont have the Kumho SPT in 205/60/15 but they do in 205/55/15... I don't mind making the switch, especially for $525 including vat each. I'm also sure that my pops can get a 5-10% discount on top of that and its V rated too!
While I would be the first to admit the Toyo T1R is a better tyre, its NOT worth almost twice as much..

I'm interested in hearing a good local review of the SPT's.....if you do buy them, make sure and post up something.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 13th, 2010, 12:04 am

Well, its my first run on the HPS so we will see... It was eithr that or Brembo Sport pads and everyone pushed me to HPS... Anyway, I still have a set of wagner edge pads brand new but im not sure how they would agree with the slotted brembos...

Back to tyres, will definitely post up a review of the SPT but dont expect it before July.. Need to get some stuff sorted out before I make the tyre purchase and get it installed etc.. Once I do i'll let you all know... I am quite hard on tyres so I like to think im a good person to test it..

rmtuner
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmtuner » May 13th, 2010, 11:24 am

Anybody try the Nitto brand?

masterofmindzchris
Street 2NR

Postby masterofmindzchris » May 13th, 2010, 12:31 pm

i now realize d other day roadstone and nexen is the same thing!!! n7000 FTW

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 13th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Nexen = fail....

I know nexen cheap and all, but Kumho SPT is practically the same price and signigicantly better

Nitto is hit and miss really, depends which one you have,,When I first bought the Volvo it had two fresh Nitto Extreme on the back... well lets just say one didnt last 3 months, beltings burst or something and the entire tyre was literally warped.. And no, no potholes considering I was up in the states... I didnt choose the Nitto but that turned me off..

On the other hand, many of the mustang drag club I know in the states swear by nitto drag radials etc... I guess its hit or miss

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » May 22nd, 2010, 10:12 pm

I've read through this entire thread and nobody's mentioned nankang tyres, granted mine are 205/45/17 tyres NS2 Ultra Sports and not 15's as ppl were discussing. but out of curiousity is nebody else riding on these and what about opinions? personally I think they grip okay but the handling is pretty good and the traction isnt bad either.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 22nd, 2010, 11:25 pm

Any word on the SPT's?

but out of curiousity is nebody else riding on these and what about opinions? personally I think they grip okay but the handling is pretty good and the traction isnt bad eithe

Keeping in mind most folks probably don't reach close to the limit of grip on a given tyre? Anyone saying a tyre handles well is a kinda moot point, esp if you haven't driven on better. It's all relative I guess.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 23rd, 2010, 3:43 am

The SPT's are going to happen soon but im back out the country again... Like a yoyo right now...

Im leaving it up to my pops to get the SPT's for me seeing as he could work a discount, but I can't put them on til I change my lower ball joints... Getting a evilous knock on the left side and after over a year of diagnosing, it HAS to be the ball joint....

Anyway, point is... I'm doing SPT for sure unless they run out of stock again... Then I am 200% screwed.. 205/55/15 should run me about $500 each after discount...
-----

To Renaldo...
http://tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/
Thas the most reviews you will find of Nankang... other than that its just word of mouth...
Personally I would give Laughlin & DeGannes a call and see if they have any Kumho SPT in your size or similar..

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » May 23rd, 2010, 12:51 pm

point taken @knight and cd4accord i really love being on tuner you guys are so helpful for real lol. :D does l&g do trade ins? or would i have to get the 4 tyres if they have and go somewhere else to get them changed?

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » May 23rd, 2010, 12:57 pm

hey i checked out the reviews cd4 thankx alot man really good info. for the price for the budget minded like myself lol they seem to get some good reviews.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 23rd, 2010, 6:10 pm

Well they do get "good" reviews but compare it to some of the other tyres mentioned here...

Its my view you will be MUCH better off looking at Kumho or Sumitomo (but definitely not Dunlop DZ101)

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » May 23rd, 2010, 9:07 pm

will do man thankx again.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 25th, 2010, 12:29 pm

In my recent experinece, over the last few years I've had the opportunity to try a number of tyres. Doesn't matter what car, a good tyre is a good tyre.

Birdgestone Potenza RE-01 The best tyre I have ever used, excellent wet and dry grip, no tramlining cornering grip like nothing else.

Dunlop Spormaxx, ver very good tyre, prone to flat spots if you brake hard (in Dex), but GREAT tyre.

DZ101...BLEH. Tramlining, noise, understeer. I would hesitate to buy these again. Good price I guess.

Dunlop SP 9090, nice tyre, progressive breakaway under hard driving. Relatively quiet and civilised

Toyo T1R Very good grip, only have a used set a few months now, so no real comparison for wet traction, in Dex, significant reduction in Understeer, which is great. They tend to have a less linear breakaway and give out kinda suddenly, which takes some getting used to. But good so far.

If I could get the sportmaxx in 18's I would go with those, but my next set will most likely be a set of T1R's.

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » May 25th, 2010, 11:52 pm

what abt the hankook ventus v12 evo? gettging some good reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”