Forums

knocking sound in car

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Liquid
Ricer

knocking sound in car

Postby Liquid » October 3rd, 2007, 6:28 pm

This is the story guys. About a month ago i upgraded my springs to coil overs and dropped my car. A day after i keep hearing this strange knocking noise at the front wheels of my car everytime i turned my steering more than 360 degrees. dont know how to stop noise and it's very annoying, i cant stand it anymore. It kinda sound like spring is rubbing on something. Can anyone help me with this problem???

Note: I only hear this particular noise when am locking my wheels either to the left or right.

katastrophic
Trinituner Peong

Postby katastrophic » October 3rd, 2007, 7:25 pm

maybe the wheel rubbing on the the fender guard under the fender

just my 2 cents

damage_control
Ricer

Postby damage_control » October 3rd, 2007, 7:46 pm

if iz jus when u turn the wheel i will say fender guard...i know of another problem that could cause it..i can't remember exactly what it is..velocity joint i think..not too sure..

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » October 3rd, 2007, 8:10 pm

velocity joint

go to an alignment shop..describe the problem..they would put it up on the ramp and check it out for u

Liquid
Ricer

Postby Liquid » October 3rd, 2007, 9:12 pm

Its not the fender guard cause i told my bro to lock the wheels while i was watching from outside and the wheel wasnt touching the fender. Sounded like in spring area.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 3rd, 2007, 9:14 pm

One thing that causes that problem on stock Strut suspensions is the mis-alignment of the spring cap and the shock mount.

When re-assembling the strut the spring cover has an arrow which is supposed to be aligned with the mounting bracket of the strut...i.e. when the wheels are straight the arrow supposed to be pointing towards the fender. The shock mount also has an arrow that is supposed to aligned in the same way.

If you don't do this the spring cap will rub on the strut housing when you turn the wheels...making a very irritating "knock" which you feel as a hard spot on the steering.

Not sure if your mods would affect this but it's worth investigating. 8-)

Liquid
Ricer

Postby Liquid » October 4th, 2007, 1:09 am

hydroep wrote:One thing that causes that problem on stock Strut suspensions is the mis-alignment of the spring cap and the shock mount.

When re-assembling the strut the spring cover has an arrow which is supposed to be aligned with the mounting bracket of the strut...i.e. when the wheels are straight the arrow supposed to be pointing towards the fender. The shock mount also has an arrow that is supposed to aligned in the same way.

If you don't do this the spring cap will rub on the strut housing when you turn the wheels...making a very irritating "knock" which you feel as a hard spot on the steering.

Not sure if your mods would affect this but it's worth investigating. 8-)

That soundin like de damn ting self. thanks hoss i'll do some investigation into that

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”