TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
DJ Q
punchin NOS
Posts: 3364
Joined: February 21st, 2007, 9:09 am
Location: Awesome

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby DJ Q » January 17th, 2012, 9:55 am

^All comes back to the properties of a Prism.
Remember when they showed how light is deflected?

Image

Advertisement
User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » January 19th, 2012, 11:31 pm

^^^ Please elaborate DJ Q

User avatar
DJ Q
punchin NOS
Posts: 3364
Joined: February 21st, 2007, 9:09 am
Location: Awesome

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby DJ Q » January 20th, 2012, 10:27 am

Depending on how the light is deflected within the headlamp, the colour may come out differently.
Just like in the picture above, they can stress on certain colours, separate it altogether, or just show the original one.

User avatar
RoadRunnerGTR
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 138
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Location: Cruising...

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby RoadRunnerGTR » January 21st, 2012, 12:20 pm

wats the price of a HiD kit for a b15 so?

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS
Posts: 4983
Joined: April 17th, 2003, 11:50 pm
Location: San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago.

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby equipped2ripp » January 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

$750.

syntax
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 114
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby syntax » January 22nd, 2012, 9:52 am

RoadRunnerGTR wrote:wats the price of a HiD kit for a b15 so?



hey man iif you are planning to install hid's in what i assume your reflector headlights, please have a good read on this thread and maybe online on the possibilities and outcomes of installing hid's in reflectors and maybe think about installing hid projectors instead.

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » January 22nd, 2012, 2:07 pm

syntax wrote:
RoadRunnerGTR wrote:wats the price of a HiD kit for a b15 so?



hey man iif you are planning to install hid's in what i assume your reflector headlights, please have a good read on this thread and maybe online on the possibilities and outcomes of installing hid's in reflectors and maybe think about installing hid projectors instead.

Any drastic negative outcomes?

User avatar
Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR
Posts: 41
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 11:54 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Trini Retrofits » January 22nd, 2012, 4:00 pm

HID gone bad
Image

Retrofit
Image

syntax
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 114
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby syntax » January 22nd, 2012, 10:23 pm

^^^ talk done

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » January 23rd, 2012, 1:07 am

OK I expected that. Two good examples. First pic is horrible.


Does aiming the light to its lowest point assist with HID in a reflector headlamp??
I have done this and I do not have trouble with oncoming traffic flashing me to dim my lights. I've tested it on some neighbours as well. They didn't complain.

User avatar
Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR
Posts: 41
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 11:54 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Trini Retrofits » January 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am

i think that picture is worst case senario, and if you aim it down it will help, but again it comes down to how well your car will handle HID's. Once you do a retrofit however the output will always be the same.

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » January 23rd, 2012, 3:00 pm

^^^Yes that has to be a worst case scenario picture because at nights in my garage it does not reflect as much at all which is good IMO. I will do a retrofit in the coming weeks.
Last edited by BrotherHood on February 27th, 2012, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
black start
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7970
Joined: February 25th, 2010, 10:42 am
Location: conquering the pothole solodex

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby black start » February 26th, 2012, 1:35 pm

didnt read everything, but what i read was very informative

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » March 20th, 2012, 11:12 pm

^^^ :wtf: Read the forum rules man.


:ban:

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » March 23rd, 2012, 12:43 am

equipped2ripp wrote:HIDs would show different in different models of vehicles, not all vehicles would give the same light pattern with stock non-projector headlights...

and eye pain? lol... don't stare into the light.

What's the difference with the 35w and the 55w HID?
Brighter I suppose?

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS
Posts: 4983
Joined: April 17th, 2003, 11:50 pm
Location: San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago.

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby equipped2ripp » March 23rd, 2012, 12:54 am

More intense light. I honestly don't recommend it for headlights, it's too bright and may dazzle other drivers. You can use it on the foglights though, as they are low on the bumper.

User avatar
Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR
Posts: 41
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 11:54 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Trini Retrofits » March 23rd, 2012, 8:46 am

its birighter, even in fog lights it will dazzle drivers. If you have a proper HID Retrofit you wont dazzle or blind drivers. I currently have a 50w in me and my brothers Retrofitted headlights, does not blind at all seeing that no light goes above the cutoff. If you look under the cutoff well thats a different story.

User avatar
jpec
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 284
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby jpec » May 30th, 2012, 10:18 pm

hmm fellas i have a quick question. i have a 2009 hilux and i got a pair of hids for my bday last month and when i got around to installing it (really easy cuz each plug has to match) they didn't work. i plugged in the plug from the car to the hid kit, the plug that sends the signal to the ballast etc and it fit perfectly! but the only thing is that the hids didnt come on at all. so i turned the plug around, which btw is a 3 prong plug, and it doesnt fit, BUT the hids did turn on....in other words, when its plugged in how its supposed to be plugged in, it doesnt come on...but when i turn it the other way where it won't fit...it would come on :S :S...its really boggling my mind but does anyone have any idea on what i can do to get it to work? i also just went outside to plug it in again and turned it on and one bulb came on fine and everything but the other bulb came on and the ballast was real loud and then the bulb itself started to smoke a little so i unplugged it immediately....any ideas???

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 550
Joined: May 26th, 2006, 8:21 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby TESTED performance » May 31st, 2012, 12:33 am

jpec wrote:hmm fellas i have a quick question. i have a 2009 hilux and i got a pair of hids for my bday last month and when i got around to installing it (really easy cuz each plug has to match) they didn't work. i plugged in the plug from the car to the hid kit, the plug that sends the signal to the ballast etc and it fit perfectly! but the only thing is that the hids didnt come on at all. so i turned the plug around, which btw is a 3 prong plug, and it doesnt fit, BUT the hids did turn on....in other words, when its plugged in how its supposed to be plugged in, it doesnt come on...but when i turn it the other way where it won't fit...it would come on :S :S...its really boggling my mind but does anyone have any idea on what i can do to get it to work? i also just went outside to plug it in again and turned it on and one bulb came on fine and everything but the other bulb came on and the ballast was real loud and then the bulb itself started to smoke a little so i unplugged it immediately....any ideas???


Newer HID kits have built in 3G or 4G internet connections that automatically do a search to see if anyone in close proximity can do a proper projector retrofit. Because Trini Retrofits does a fantastic job your HID kit was able to detect that and therefore it will not light because it knows the glare from installing the kit would blind people and eventually wind up getting you a ticket which costs the same as a retrofit.
Seriously i had to stop and yell at the owner of a hilux with an HID kit because the glare from the headlight and fog lights which both had HIDs installed was so insane that I could see nothing at all.

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS
Posts: 4983
Joined: April 17th, 2003, 11:50 pm
Location: San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago.

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby equipped2ripp » May 31st, 2012, 3:10 am

Image

User avatar
jpec
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 284
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby jpec » May 31st, 2012, 10:16 am

TESTED performance wrote:
jpec wrote:hmm fellas i have a quick question. i have a 2009 hilux and i got a pair of hids for my bday last month and when i got around to installing it (really easy cuz each plug has to match) they didn't work. i plugged in the plug from the car to the hid kit, the plug that sends the signal to the ballast etc and it fit perfectly! but the only thing is that the hids didnt come on at all. so i turned the plug around, which btw is a 3 prong plug, and it doesnt fit, BUT the hids did turn on....in other words, when its plugged in how its supposed to be plugged in, it doesnt come on...but when i turn it the other way where it won't fit...it would come on :S :S...its really boggling my mind but does anyone have any idea on what i can do to get it to work? i also just went outside to plug it in again and turned it on and one bulb came on fine and everything but the other bulb came on and the ballast was real loud and then the bulb itself started to smoke a little so i unplugged it immediately....any ideas???


Newer HID kits have built in 3G or 4G internet connections that automatically do a search to see if anyone in close proximity can do a proper projector retrofit. Because Trini Retrofits does a fantastic job your HID kit was able to detect that and therefore it will not light because it knows the glare from installing the kit would blind people and eventually wind up getting you a ticket which costs the same as a retrofit.
Seriously i had to stop and yell at the owner of a hilux with an HID kit because the glare from the headlight and fog lights which both had HIDs installed was so insane that I could see nothing at all.



lol maybe it was a shitty hid kit...ive seen plenty cars that just give off glare and then some cars that are really good

User avatar
Trini Retrofits
Street 2NR
Posts: 41
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 11:54 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Trini Retrofits » May 31st, 2012, 11:34 am

jpec wrote:
TESTED performance wrote:
jpec wrote:hmm fellas i have a quick question. i have a 2009 hilux and i got a pair of hids for my bday last month and when i got around to installing it (really easy cuz each plug has to match) they didn't work. i plugged in the plug from the car to the hid kit, the plug that sends the signal to the ballast etc and it fit perfectly! but the only thing is that the hids didnt come on at all. so i turned the plug around, which btw is a 3 prong plug, and it doesnt fit, BUT the hids did turn on....in other words, when its plugged in how its supposed to be plugged in, it doesnt come on...but when i turn it the other way where it won't fit...it would come on :S :S...its really boggling my mind but does anyone have any idea on what i can do to get it to work? i also just went outside to plug it in again and turned it on and one bulb came on fine and everything but the other bulb came on and the ballast was real loud and then the bulb itself started to smoke a little so i unplugged it immediately....any ideas???


Newer HID kits have built in 3G or 4G internet connections that automatically do a search to see if anyone in close proximity can do a proper projector retrofit. Because Trini Retrofits does a fantastic job your HID kit was able to detect that and therefore it will not light because it knows the glare from installing the kit would blind people and eventually wind up getting you a ticket which costs the same as a retrofit.
Seriously i had to stop and yell at the owner of a hilux with an HID kit because the glare from the headlight and fog lights which both had HIDs installed was so insane that I could see nothing at all.



lol maybe it was a shitty hid kit...ive seen plenty cars that just give off glare and then some cars that are really good


haha i Like that one TRUSTED PERFORMANCE, thanks for the compliments and free advertising, but he is true tho a true Retrofit will be the Best for performance with no GLARE.

jpec its not normally the HID's that give the glare though its the optics of the light, some Headlights can handle the HID's better than the others can, but the best will be a proper HID projector that is designed for the amout of light that HID's give out.

Also to get your HID's working properly i think all you have to do is turn around the connector that connects to the input of your ballast. let me know if that works, if you dont understand what i mean you can call me and i will try to help you out 376-5763.

but please if you are blinding people look into getting a retofit done. read this thread and you will understand it more.

User avatar
jpec
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 284
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby jpec » May 31st, 2012, 1:44 pm

^^ i actually have read this thread before and i have seen your products and i do promote it like crazy cuz i know a proper retrofit is the best thing to do when installin a hid kit and i would love to get one one day..but i am out of funds at the moment but as soon as i can afford it...bet your last cent im coming to you for an installation....

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 550
Joined: May 26th, 2006, 8:21 am

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby TESTED performance » June 1st, 2012, 12:04 am

jpec wrote:^^ i actually have read this thread before and i have seen your products and i do promote it like crazy cuz i know a proper retrofit is the best thing to do when installin a hid kit and i would love to get one one day..but i am out of funds at the moment but as soon as i can afford it...bet your last cent im coming to you for an installation....


then why not return the defective kit take your money back and use that money as a downpayment on your retrofit so you're committed to following through with the project not to mention the glare that you will spare the general public. Plus i'm certain they will start cracking down on glaring HIDs in the near future and nobody wants to pay that ticket. regular bulbs still work just be sure not to use anything higher than 55Watts in your hilux because you will scorch the lenses and they will start developing stress cracks and fade then you'll have to buy new headlamps to do your retrofit.

User avatar
cinco
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18228
Joined: January 6th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Location: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Contact:

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby cinco » June 1st, 2012, 8:54 am

BrotherHood wrote:I have not had people flash me so I am of the opinion that mine is tolerable. When it's on high beam :D , that's another story. No need for the high beam anyway really. Same H4 bulb that DJ Q was referring too.

aye bhai if u want next time i there with my car you can see my retrofits

User avatar
BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8233
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby BrotherHood » June 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

cinco wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:I have not had people flash me so I am of the opinion that mine is tolerable. When it's on high beam :D , that's another story. No need for the high beam anyway really. Same H4 bulb that DJ Q was referring too.

aye bhai if u want next time i there with my car you can see my retrofits

I really did notice that your headlights looked a bit dark/aftermarket. Will check it out next time.

User avatar
DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6752
Joined: November 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby DVSTT » September 9th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Guys, how do Eagle Eye projector headlamps like below, compare to retrofitted projectors?

Image

Image

User avatar
cinco
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18228
Joined: January 6th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Location: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Contact:

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby cinco » September 10th, 2012, 9:24 am

shitty
most of those arent hid capable

User avatar
Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter
Posts: 6476
Joined: February 22nd, 2004, 9:28 am
Contact:

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Aaron 2NR » September 10th, 2012, 11:17 am

retrofit....i did it in my hilux and was blown away by the results....those after market projectors use cheap projectors that do not give a proper light spread and in some cases give less light output than your oem lights

User avatar
DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6752
Joined: November 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Re: HID Do's & Don'ts - The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby DVSTT » September 10th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Hmmm, ok, thanks guys! Will cross them off the list!

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests